The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #26
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
First of all, WE ARE GOING TO THE SB!!!! Let's not get into any thing nasty tonight. Let's enjoy!

And so where is the list of elite QBs, or to be more fair, elite teams we have faced?

Again don't get me wrong I think we win this game. And there is no way they have faced a QB as good as Peyton because he is the best. And I think that Seattle is a pretty darn good team and it will be a tough game. All I am saying.
I'm not saying they aren't a good team or that it won't be a challenge. I'm merely pointing out that their pass defense is not as good as the stats might indicate.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:05 AM   #27
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Better receivers, a larger array of offensive weapons, and WAY better O line protection.

Couple this with the likelihood that our defense should dominate their mediocre offense, and we should roll over them like a freight train.
I think there is a distinct possibility that might happen as long as we don't turn the ball over. Without turnovers I do not believe they have much of a chance of keeping up with us on the scoreboard. That said they have been great in the TO differential department and we have been the very definition of mediocre, so you never know. I do feel quite confident in saying that if they do not have a positive turnover differential they will lose.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 01-20-2014 at 12:07 AM..
Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #28
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Better receivers, a larger array of offensive weapons, and WAY better O line protection.

Couple this with the likelihood that our defense should dominate their mediocre offense, and we should roll over them like a freight train.
They could definitely make it a game, especially depending on weather, but I still stand by my prediction that the Chargers would give us the closest score. I see something like 27-13 or 31-13. And going against Wilson, this could be the game where my Champ pick-6 fantasy finally comes true (been dreaming of this since last year).
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #29
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I think there is a distinct possibility that might happen as long as we don't turn the ball over. Without turnovers I do not believe they have much of a chance of keeping up with us on the scoreboard.
The Seachickens are a one-dimensional offensive team whose passing game is mediocre at best. They rely heavily on their ground game, and, as luck would have it, they are about to run smack into one of the league's top run defenses.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #30
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
They could definitely make it a game, especially depending on weather, but I still stand by my prediction that the Chargers would give us the closest score. I see something like 27-13 or 31-13. And going against Wilson, this could be the game where my Champ pick-6 fantasy finally comes true (been dreaming of this since last year).
You and I are in total agreement. I feel pretty confident that we win by 10 or more.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #31
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

Quote:
I'm not saying they aren't a good team or that it won't be a challenge. I'm merely pointing out that their pass defense is not as good as the stats might indicate.
I am good with that! GO BRONCOS!!!
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #32
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

The best any defensive team can hope for is to limit Manning and our offense, or to slow them down.

You certainly aren't going to be able to stop them.

In our three losses on the regular season, fans of opposing teams wanted to take credit for "holding the Broncos to 'x' number of points," but when you review the play-by-play, we really stopped ourselves with the silly mistakes we made in each of those games.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #33
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
The best any defensive team can hope for is to limit Manning and our offense, or to slow them down.

You certainly aren't going to be able to stop them.

In our three losses on the regular season, fans of opposing teams wanted to take credit for "holding the Broncos to 'x' number of points," but when you review the play-by-play, we really stopped ourselves with the silly mistakes we made in each of those games.
This has generally been the story of all our offense's failures this season, win or loss. Our offense almost never gets straight up stopped by a defense. They tend to stop themselves with dropped passes, penalties, or turnovers.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #34
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
So are these guys really as good as people say? Just look at the list of QBs they have faced so far this year:

...[long list of names]...

Kind of puts their #1 ranked pass defense in a different light doesn't it?
You make it seem as if the Seahawks planned their own schedule this year, ensuring that they'd either play as many crap teams as possible, or that they'd play good teams at home.

Well, the League picked their schedule, not Pete Carroll or Richard Sherman.

And how about the teams that Denver faced in the 2013-2014 campaign? How many of them had quality defenses? We played the Raiders twice (crap team), the Giants (total crap team), Baltimore (did not make the playoffs), Phily, Cowboys (did not make playoffs), Jacksonville (a gimmie game if there ever was one), Indy (to whom both Denver & Seattle lost), Redskins (a crap team in a complete meltdown), New England (to whom Denver lost), Tennessee (a crap team), and the Texans (a team so bad that they fired their coach *before* the season ended, and with a record so bad they will get the first pick in the 2014 draft).

Peyton Manning's numbers this year were awe inspiring, and he and Denver's receivers deserve all the praise in the world. But by my reckoning, of Denver's 16 games this year, 7 games (or nearly half) were against CRAP teams that you'd expect to pummel on any given Sunday: Giants (week 2), Radiers (week 3), Jags (week 6), Redskins (week 8), Titans (week 14), Texans (week 16), Raiders (week 17). We also played under-achieving teams at least 3 times: KC twice and Dallas once.

We split the season with San Diego and lost to Indy and NE. So our record against competitive non-CRAP teams was only 1-3.

Last edited by Armchair Bronco; 01-20-2014 at 12:30 AM..
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #35
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
You make it seem as if the Seahawks planned their own schedule this year, ensuring that they'd either play as many crap teams as possible, or that they'd play good team at home.

Well, the League picked their schedule, not Pete Carroll or Richard Sherman.

And how about the teams that Denver faced in the 2013-2014 campaign. How many of them had quality defenses? We played the Raiders twice (crap team), the Giants (total crap team), Baltimore (did not make the playoffs), Phily, Cowboys (did not make playoffs), Jacksonville (a gimmie game if there ever was one), Indy (to whom both Denver & Seattle lost), Redskins (a crap team in a complete meltdown), New England (to whom Denver lost), Tennessee (a crap team), an the Texans (a team so bad that they fired their coach *before* the season ended and with a record so bad they will get the first pick in the 2014 draft.

Peyton Manning's numbers this year were awe inspiring, and he and Denver's receivers deserve all the praise in the world. But by my reckoning, of Denver's 16 games this year, 7 games (or nearly half) were against CRAP teams that you'd expect to pummel on any given Sunday: Giants (week 2), Radiers (week 3), Jags (week 6), Redskins (week 8), Titans (week 14), Texans (week 16), Raiders (week 17). We also played under-achieving teams at least 3 times: KC twice and Dallas once.

We split the season with San Diego and lost to Indy and NE. So our record against competitive non-CRAP teams was 1-3.
1) You totally missed the point of my thread, and went off on an unrelated tangent that is not worthy of my time.

2) Stop referring to the Broncos with "we". As far as I can tell you are not a Bronco fan.

3) You are now going on ignore. I can't stomach you any longer.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #36
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
We also played under-achieving teams at least 3 times: KC twice and Dallas once.
As much as I hate to sound like I'm giving props to KC, the Chokes were undefeated (9-0?) before our first meeting, and their defense, IIRC, was tops in the league.

What was your Seachickens' record against teams with winning records, for comparisons' sake?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:37 AM   #37
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
1) You totally missed the point of my thread, and went off on an unrelated tangent that is not worthy of my time.

2) Stop referring to the Broncos with "we". As far as I can tell you are not a Bronco fan.

3) You are now going on ignore. I can't stomach you any longer.
No, you missed the point of my response. If you're going to look at the quality (or lack thereof) of QB's that Seattle has faced over the season, and try to draw some deep insight from that analysis, then you need to do the inverse as well as look at the quality of the DEFENSES that Denver's vaunted offense faced.

You're cherry-picking stats to make your case. Which, by the way, is how things operate around here and pretty much everywhere else (government, business, stock market, global warming). But as Woody Allen said: "Statistics are like a bikini: what they reveal is interesting, but what they cover up is essential."

And if you feel the need to perform self-censorship, go for it! At one point I actually considered you a fairly tolerant virtual personality, but I see that you've gone over to the expletive-laden dark side as well. Enjoy the view from the other side.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #38
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yeah, the Broncos actually had the toughest schedule in the league by the numbers.

As far as playing elite quarterbacks, we only played two, because there are only a few in the league. But we did play them a combined 5 times compared to Seattle's 2. Actually if you include Romo that's 3 elite QB's a total of 6 times.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #39
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
No, you missed the point of my response. If you're going to look at the quality (or lack thereof) of QB's that Seattle has faced over the season, and try to draw some deep insight from that analysis, then you need to do the inverse as well as look at the quality of the DEFENSES that Denver's vaunted offense faced.
I just did.

We swept the McChiefs, who, at our first meeting, were tops in the league.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:41 AM   #40
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
As much as I hate to sound like I'm giving props to KC, the Chokes were undefeated (9-0?) before our first meeting, and their defense, IIRC, was tops in the league.
I'll admit that I wasn't prepared to put the Chiefs in the CRAP category above. But all Bronco fans know that KC is a perennial under-achieving team. For years they have been a paper tiger. Their undefeated start was impressive, as was Denver's double-smackdown which, incidentally, pushed that sorry team over the edge.

But I wouldn't put KC in the category of a great team. Either way, if we include KC twice, SD twice, NE, Indy, and maybe Phily, then this year Denver really only faced 6 or 7 good teams.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #41
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
Yeah, the Broncos actually had the toughest schedule in the league by the numbers.

As far as playing elite quarterbacks, we only played two, because there are only a few in the league. But we did play them a combined 5 times compared to Seattle's 2. Actually if you include Romo that's 3 elite QB's a total of 6 times.
Romo certainly played like an elite QB the day we faced him. That dude is really underrated honestly. He just hasn't had a good team his whole career.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #42
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Denver's offense also played I believe 5 games against top 10 scoring D's (Baltimore, NYG, KC x 2, NE). And yet the Chargers offense is what held them to 3 of their 5 lowest scores on the year.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #43
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
I'll admit that I wasn't prepared to put the Chiefs in the CRAP category above. But all Bronco fans know that KC is a perennial under-achieving team. For years they have been a paper tiger. Their undefeated start was impressive, as was Denver's double-smackdown which, incidentally, pushed that sorry team over the edge.

But I wouldn't put KC in the category of a great team. Either way, if we include KC twice, SD twice, NE, Indy, and maybe Phily, then this year Denver really only faced 6 or 7 good teams.
And what was Seattle's record against teams with winning records?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #44
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Romo certainly played like an elite QB the day we faced him. That dude is really underrated honestly. He just hasn't had a good team his whole career.
Tony "Blowmo" Romo is NOT an elite QB! Never has been, never will be. He can put up huge numbers (as he did against Denver, which, by the way, speaks volumes about whether Denver has a "great" defense or merely a "very good" defense). But he's not clutch and never has been. Elite QB's are clutch.

But what does Romo have to do with Seattle's defense? Seattle didn't play Dallas. Denver did, and put up HUGE numbers against a team that didn't make the playoffs.

Ergo, the Dallas matchup was not against a good team.

Last edited by Armchair Bronco; 01-20-2014 at 12:53 AM..
Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #45
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
And what was Seattle's record against teams with winning records?
How would I know? What, do you think I'm a Seahawks fans or something with all this Seattle-based knowledge at my fingertips?

Actually, I'll run the numbers later and will report back after doing the necessary crap-based research.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Seattle faced about the same number of crappy, above average, and great teams as did the Broncos. Let's not forget that the League's middle name is "Parity".
Old 01-20-2014, 12:54 AM   #46
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Money to Burn WOOOO®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Welker and JT All Day
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #47
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Tony "Blowmo" Romo is NOT an elite QB! Never has been, never will be. He can put up huge numbers (as he did against Denver, which, by the way, speaks volumes about whether Denver has a "great" defense or merely a "very good" defense. But he's not clutch and never has been. Elite QB's are clutch.

But what does Romo have to do with Seattle's defense? Seattle didn't play Dallas. Denver did, and put up HUGE numbers against a team that didn't make the playoffs.

Ergo, the Dallas matchup was not against a good team.
Well, by the nature of scheduling you can only play 2 division winners or possibly 4 (Denver played 3). We happened to have 2 other good teams in our division, plus Indy, NE, and Philly/Baltimore borderline.

Seattle had SF and Arizona, plus NO, Carolina, Indy, and not sure who else. I do know that Denver had the toughest schedule by record.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:59 AM   #48
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
>>What, do you think I'm a Seahawks fans or something with all this Seattle-based knowledge at my fingertips?<<
Um, actually, yes.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #49
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

By my reckoning, the Hawks had 7 games against crap teams (winning all of them), 4 games against average teams (Cardinals and Rams - winning 3 out of 4), and 5 games against playoff teams (Panthers, 49ers twice, Colts, and Saints - winning 3 and losing 2).

So, net-net, I think the Hawks had a schedule at least on par with Denver's schedule, and maybe just a tad tougher.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 AM   #50
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Armchair, would you say that you're a Seattle Seahawks fan, or just somebody who is easily taken in by the ESPN and west coast sports media hype machine?
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote