The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default Because Ben Did Brady Will too...

I have seen this repeated many times that because our D gave up big pass plays to Ben especially YAC. That the Pats will eat us up. While the Patriots have an elite passing game and will create some passing stats it will not look like yesterday. Remember that the Steelers have a WR corps (Even without Antonio) that is built on elite speed. To this point I would guess that every match up across the field yesterday the WR was faster than the DB. This is going to push us back in our coverage and show larger cushion most of the night. Combine this with a QB that is excellent at staying upright and you have a big play big pass offense. Look at their entire season they were excellent. And while the loss of AB was big, the next guys up are not JAG's. Martavious Bryant and Markus Wheaton are super athletic speed merchants that will be a force to be reckoned with next year and in the future.

The Patriots on the other hand do not have elite speed receivers. They have elite quickness receivers and Mongo. Will they do damage? undoubtedly. But it will not look anything like yesterday. Expect play after play of 7-8 yards with some YAC but nothing like yesterday. Our DB's will be tight and trying to put there hands on the Patriots water bugs to make them re-route. Also expect them to sprinkle in a touch of zone coverage. In order to win this game we have to control the center of the line of scrimmage with out adding additional bodies. Malik and Wolfe must win their matchups for us to win the game. If they shut down the run and leave little space for Brady to shuffle forward we will have a chance.

As for Mongo well He Run's Bordertown. He will get 8 catches 100 yards and a TD. Manning and the Offense has to make sure they put enough points on the board that that is not the end of the game.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

The thing about playing NE next week, is you beat Brady by playing zone and letting the 4 pass rushers hit him and hit him often. The Pats kill man to man coverages with option routes and stacks. I have ZERO confidence in this defense to execute zone coverage and when they are not playing under Man 1 with a heavy dose of pressure.

I just hope Wade comes up with a better plan than yesterday. DEN gave up 8 highly explosive plays over 20 yards and 10 explosive plays of 15 and over. They need to get a better communication plan as well as they continue to blow coverages with missed signals.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Doggcow
He gimpy

But he doin alright now

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
The thing about playing NE next week, is you beat Brady by playing zone and letting the 4 pass rushers hit him and hit him often. The Pats kill man to man coverages with option routes and stacks. I have ZERO confidence in this defense to execute zone coverage and when they are not playing under Man 1 with a heavy dose of pressure.

I just hope Wade comes up with a better plan than yesterday. DEN gave up 8 highly explosive plays over 20 yards and 10 explosive plays of 15 and over. They need to get a better communication plan as well as they continue to blow coverages with missed signals.
In all fairness, those big gains came on the rush not getting there. We will have a much easier time getting to Brady than Ben (I hope)
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

I would also say that the Steelers have a much better offensive line than the Patriots in addition to having better receivers. Their line yesterday, held up for the most part. They should be AFC favorites next season with the new guys they got on both sides of the ball.

With the Patriots, they struggle against middling to decent defenses, especially on the road. I didn't understand the Chiefs game plan of throwing it constantly and not having their D attack Brady. Then again, that's the Chiefs.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
In all fairness, those big gains came on the rush not getting there. We will have a much easier time getting to Brady than Ben (I hope)
Well, that never helps, but it was NOT because of the lack of a rush! It was zone coverage and Crossing patterns in man that caused those plays. And, major separation leading to huge YAC numbers.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
BroncosfanGuy
don't drink and post

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
We will have a much easier time getting to Brady than Ben (I hope)
Brady gets the ball out of his hands within something like 2.4 seconds.

it's going to be difficult getting to him since he'll have Edelman/Gronk/Amendola running the pick and roll right off the snap.

probably more difficult than getting to Roeth. Brady mitigated KC's pass rush. his OL didn't suddenly improve
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

seriously, dudes were wide the **** open. I can't even remember a contested pass.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:

I think you have to mix it up. Man and zone to be successful. If you don't get to Brady with your front 4, he'll eat your zone up too.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #9
muninoel
Seasoned Veteran

NFL Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
I would also say that the Steelers have a much better offensive line than the Patriots in addition to having better receivers. Their line yesterday, held up for the most part. They should be AFC favorites next season with the new guys they got on both sides of the ball.

With the Patriots, they struggle against middling to decent defenses, especially on the road. I didn't understand the Chiefs game plan of throwing it constantly and not having their D attack Brady. Then again, that's the Chiefs.
Brady was 23/42 for 280 yards and 3 TDs against the Broncos in Denver, missing his top 2 wide receivers in bad weather. Is that your definition of struggling against the #1 ranked defense on the road?
muninoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #10
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post

Brady loves the blitz and is a blitz killer. Check his passing numbers and he is outstanding versus the blitz. He hates a solid 4 man rush and Zone behind it taking out the option plays in the middle of the field. The thing is creating a solid rush package with 4 that constantly hits him while covering the underneath routes. DEN has the capability to do that, but they have to stop the run too.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I think you have to mix it up. Man and zone to be successful. If you don't get to Brady with your front 4, he'll eat your zone up too.
Yep, but you let him eat you up underneath and live to fight another day. Stop letting explosive plays change the game.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
Brady gets the ball out of his hands within something like 2.4 seconds.

it's going to be difficult getting to him since he'll have Edelman/Gronk/Amendola running the pick and roll right off the snap.

probably more difficult than getting to Roeth. Brady mitigated KC's pass rush. his OL didn't suddenly improve
Yeah NE's OL didn't improve overnight. They were pretty bad against the Dolphins in week 17. Brady wasn't really pressured at all in that game against KC, since KC didn't blitz that much once Houston wimped out.

Quote:
injury that turned out to be more crucial was the one that kept LB Justin Houston (+0.1) out for the majority of the game. He played just eight snaps, none of them in the second half, and without him the Chiefs only managed to pressure Patriots QB Tom Brady seven times. Last week the defensive line picked up the slack a bit with big games from Allen Bailey (-1.0) and Dontari Poe (-0.4), but the pair totaled just two pressures in 69 combined rushes on Saturday. It was similarly bad on the outside with Dee Ford (-1.6) and Tamba Hali (-0.8) shut down by New Englandís tackles and a quick release from Brady ó he spent an average of just 2.19 seconds in the pocket.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-game-defense/
Old 01-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #13
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Agreed, but the good news is that other than the one TD drive, the defense mostly tightened the screws on drives following a big play and kept Pitt out of the end zone.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #14
orinjkrush

Off Season

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mcmanus

quick passes over the middle are low trajectory.

got to get in the pass lanes and bat some balls down.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #15
enjolras
Ring of Famer

We're gonna have to do it without Chris Harris, who once again is clearly injured when we really need him.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #16
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Denver's D gave up a lot of yards against Pitt but only one TD -- which is the stat that counts.

Last edited by mhgaffney; 01-18-2016 at 11:55 AM..
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #17
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muninoel View Post
Brady was 23/42 for 280 yards and 3 TDs against the Broncos in Denver, missing his top 2 wide receivers in bad weather. Is that your definition of struggling against the #1 ranked defense on the road?
Yeah he was pretty pedestrian if you watched the game.

Let's not forget that he was crying to the refs all night in that game because he was under siege. Brady caught a break on a wheel route to Bolden and when it mattered in the 4th quarter, he didn't do well.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #18
uplink
Ring of Famer

broncos have to limit the yards after the catch with good tackling on Sunday. They should try and punch the ball out of the receivers hands at every opportunity.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #19
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

You play both, Brady will pick zone a part. Mix it up man to man jamming wrs, got to give our rushers time to get to brady.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #20
uplink
Ring of Famer

have trev and marshall ready to jump in front of short crossing routes in the middle, make brady throw to the sidelines. Bump Gronk at the line every time, if they play zone have one guy, a CB or Safety dedicated to covering Gronk where ever he lines up. Don't have outside LBers covering him. Trev may be able to stick with Gronk
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #21
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
You play both, Brady will pick zone a part. Mix it up man to man jamming wrs, got to give our rushers time to get to brady.
The problem is DEN does not have any zone proficiency. They can not play a cover 2/cover 4/Tampa 2 mix that is disguised pre-snap and that makes Brady hold the ball longer to decipher the 2 deep safeties and whether the LB is up the seam on Gronkowski alone or with help.

Playing Zone is a major mismatch at this point and playing man is not as effective against this team because Brady knows how to beat man coverage quickly and get the ball out faster and negating the pass rush.

I do not like the matchup at all with a healthy NE receiver group.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #22
Buffsroam
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
seriously, dudes were wide the **** open. I can't even remember a contested pass.
Except the passes that were broken up or contested, but live in your fantasy world as long as you want.
Buffsroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #23
Mediator12
OM analyst

I have to go, but this was priceless:

Quote:
Broncos LB Brandon Marshall on why it's so hard to cover Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski: "Because he pushes off."
Old 01-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #24
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

I love threads like this because I am now smarter after reading them.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #25
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

It all comes down to Ware and Action Jackson's desire to get paid like a elite DE. Those two can set the tone.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote