The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default SoCal's Midseason Analysis of Miami (Fla.) draftable prospects

Offense

RB Randy "Duke" Johnson Jr.

Strengths: Elusive, quick, very explosive and consistent runner with good vision and cutback ability. Possesses a very good stiff arm. Similar style to Clinton Portis but perhaps just a cut below Portis. Very good speed. Improved as a pass reciever and blocker during junior campaign.

Weaknesses: Coaches have forced him to gain too much weight, so you see a lot more 20 yard gains instead of 60 yarders like in 2012. Still has very good speed, but used to have elite speed when he was around 190-195, he's about 207 now and not by choice. Could improve between the tackles, although he has shown growth there during his career already. Has a fumbling issue and runs in such a way where he gets awkwardly tackled at times which leads to some injuries. He does get nicked up fairly often. Isn't the type that can consistently handle the pounding of 20-25 carries.

Projection: Late first to mid second round

LT Ereck Flowers

Strengths: Pretty good pass protector. Good feet and long arms. Was an elite player as a sophomore. Getting better as a run blocker.

Weaknesses: Having a bit of a down junior year. Still does a strong job protecting the blindside. Has some more penalty issues this season.

Projection: Late first to late second round

WR Philip Dorsett

Strengths: Excellent straight line speed. Makes a lot of big plays on deep balls and has an outrageous YPC this year. Very legit deep threat. TD maker. Had an unconfirmed 4.16 run in the 40 at one point.

Weaknesses: His game hasn't developed beyond being a three route guy: posts, go routes and comebacks. He is an outside the hash player. Very fast but little wiggle, it's all straight line. A one trick pony who disappears at times. Not too physical.

Projection: Mid second round to mid third round

OG Jon Feliciano

Strengths: Decent run blocker, has good functional strength. A lot of experience as a 3 year starter. Could play OT in a pinch. Solid character and team leader.

Weaknesses: Has had poor performances against good DTs. Will have real issues as a pass blocker in the NFL, even at guard.

Projection: Fifth to Sixth Round

TE Clive Walford

Strengths: Big, productive TE who currently leads team in receptions. Has improved as a blocker. Solid short to intermediate threat. Has improved every year. Good RZ weapon.

Weaknesses: Not sure he has the speed to get separation on NFL linebackers and SS as he has a plodding running style, it isn't smooth. Could be better as a blocker for his size.

Projection: Fourth Round

DEFENSE

DE Anthony Chickillo

Strengths: Non stop motor. Decent vs. the run. Has developed more moves than most, out of necessity. Can get to the QB at times. High character kid that's a third generation Hurricane put into a bad situation where he is forced to be a 3-4 End instead of a 4-3 SDE. Would have been somewhat more effective in one gap scheme rather than two gap. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a better pro career than college due to coaching/use.

Weaknesses: Carrying too much weight for his frame. He's about 282. He's a tweener at the NFL level. Not big enough to be an NFL 3-4 DE (300-310) but not fast or explosive enough to be a 4-3 DE. Isn't a quick twitch, explosive guy, he has slow feet. All his production comes from effort. Looked his best as a true freshman when he was 255-260.

Projection: Fourth to Fifth Round

LB Denzel Perryman

Strengths: Big hitter. Has good instincts. Has solid but not great speed (unlike Fr. Season). Headhunter with nose for the ball and can get into backfield. Very strong. Solid tackler. Was able to adjust from schematic change from a 4-3 Over to a 3-4 and still be very productive. Extremely well built. In the pros, he could play anything from 3-4 ILB to 4-3 WLB (with some weight loss) to 4-3 MLB. Solid in pass coverage.

Weaknesses: Another good player the staff fattened up. As a freshman, he was a 210 pound WLB that could run like the wind and had incredible instincts. He's now about 245 and is a north-south thumper as a 3-4 ILB. His weight gain has helped in shedding blocks and tackling but it has robbed him of a lot of speed he once had. He's also a bit short and squatty. Would really benefit from losing 10 pounds and playing in the 4-3 at Will or Mike. That would probably increase playmaking as well.

Projection: Second Round

LB Thurston Armbrister

Strengths: Having incredible senior season. Former 2 star who was a huge liability but has steadily improved. Leads team in sacks from Sam position and also is active in opponents backfield as a run defender. Solid tackler and improving as a pass defender. Really done a nice job getting bigger and stronger the last few years.

Weaknesses: Kind of a one year wonder. Has adequate but not desired speed for an OLB. Not sure he can run at the NFL level. Athletically limited and will have issues in pass coverage in the NFL. Having the year of his life but is still barely holding off a true freshman prodigy at Sam (might speak more to the other kids future greatness than anything Thurston hasn't done, though).

Projection: Fourth to Sixth Round

CB Tracy Howard

Strengths: Good nose for the ball. Will get his INTs cause he is instinctive and does a good job in pattern reading matchup zones, knows when to jump patterns. Has a lot of swagger. Decent tackler for his size.

Weaknesses: Despite being the top HS corner in his class is not that athletic. Will get burned in man to man coverage. Doesn't have great speed. A little on the smallish side. Not having anywhere as good a junior season as he did as a sophomore last year when I thought he got robbed by not being All Conference. Sometimes isn't as coach able as you would like.

Projection: Unlikely he will come out this year, but if he does, Fifth to Sixth Round.

S Deon Bush

Strengths: Very blessed athletically. Can lay the wood but is athletic enough to play coverage and centerfield. Definitely has an NFL level skill set and will be a significantly better pro than collegian. Hampered by a read and react scheme that hinders athletic ability and turns him more into a robot than attacker. Looked like the next Steve Atwater as a freshman.

Weaknesses: Very injury prone. Hasn't looked the same since a hernia/groin surgery a year and a half ago. Also a bit of a tweener. Might be a wee bit slow for a corner, but a little too small for a safety and his body can't take the hits he likes to dish. Bush is a bit of a slow reactor as well. Has not been particularly productive since incredible freshman campaign ended early with a shoulder injury as a result of a huge hit he laid and hernia surgery during the offseason between Frosh and Soph seasons. Showing more as a Junior but still not all the way back to 2012.

Projection: Unlikely he bolts as a Junior, but if he does Fifth to Sixth Round (good value due to massive untapped upside).

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 10-13-2014 at 11:30 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Great stuff, the only issue I would see is Dorsett going in the second or third. Is he as good of a prospect as Herron was coming out of Wyoming? I don't think so. They have a lot of the same qualities and Rob lasted until the 6th round. I think that is an awfully generous ranking for him slot wise. Just don't see it. As for the Broncos, I hope we look at Perryman and Walford.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I am a huge Canes fan as well SoCal

You forgot about LaDarius Gunter at CB.... At his 6'2 frame, decent speed, and always seems to have a nose for the ball, I bet he gets drafted. (Higher than he should be)

Shane McDermott at Center is also a 7th rounder to UDFA type

Olsen Pierre is a solid run stuffer, I could see him getting drafted as well.

Who is this prodigy you speak of? Darrion Owens?
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Gunter has a shot to be drafted. He's actually not a bad player. Probably 5th to 7th.

Pierre is likely UDFA.

Yeah, Owens is gonna be a star.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Gunter has a shot to be drafted. He's actually not a bad player. Probably 5th to 7th.

Pierre is likely UDFA.

Yeah, Owens is gonna be a star.
Do you think Jaquan Johnson will play CB? Doesn't seem like we are recruiting many DB's, unless we plan on changing some RB's or WR recruits to corner or safety ala Corn Elder/Ray Lewis?
Old 10-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebures View Post
Do you think Jaquan Johnson will play CB? Doesn't seem like we are recruiting many DB's, unless we plan on changing some RB's or WR recruits to corner or safety ala Corn Elder/Ray Lewis?
Miami will end up with about 4 DBs. There's a kid that committed to OSU that they will reel back in and a couple other corners. Johnson is a S. Tim Irvin is on the radar but won't commit until the defensive staff is replaced.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Req, I'd be surprised if Dorsett drops below the 3rd round. Too explosive, albeit certainly not well rounded.

He will time very well at the combine.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 10-14-2014 at 07:47 PM..
Old 10-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Req, I'd be surprised if Dorsett drops below the 3rd round. Too explosive, albeit certainly not well rounded.

He will time very well at the combine.
Not very consistent hands either....Chris Cole v.2
Old 10-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebures View Post
Not very consistent hands either....Chris Cole v.2
I don't think he is as bad as Cole in hands, but he has dropsies sometimes...most notably ND 2012.

I'm much more worried about what happened to Coley this year. Apparently he lost a lot of weight after some dental surgery, but that doesn't explain the lack of separation. He looked like the next Sammy Watkins last year and then....nothing.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I don't think he is as bad as Cole in hands, but he has dropsies sometimes...most notably ND 2012.

I'm much more worried about what happened to Coley this year. Apparently he lost a lot of weight after some dental surgery, but that doesn't explain the lack of separation. He looked like the next Sammy Watkins last year and then....nothing.
I was going to say the same thing. He has been god awful on returns and falls down on screen passes when he is breathed on. Looks like he is 160#. I was surprised when I saw Malcolm Lewis and Berrios getting more playing time than him.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: