The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default 2015 Draft & Off-Season Early Bird Tracker

You know how it is.

2015 Denver Broncos Draft Selections

5 (From Chicago)
  • Denver traded its own fourth-rounder to San Francisco in its move up to draft Cody Latimer in 2014.
  • Denver received Chicago's fifth-rounder as part of a trade down from the fourth round of the 2014 Draft.
This number is likely to grow due to compensatory selections, which should give us several more selections. Denver would have to trade their seventh round selection to the New York Giants if Brandon McManus is on the roster after Prater's suspension is up. So far, it is looking to shape up to be an interesting off season in 2015.

Players Signed To 2015 Roster

Peyton Manning, QB

Brock Osweiler, QB

Montee Ball, RB

Ronnie Hillman, RB

CJ Anderson, RB

Juwan Thompson, RB

Ryan Clady, LT

Louis Vasquez, RG

Manuel Ramirez, C

Chris Clark, RT

Michael Schofield, OL

Emmanuel Sanders, WR

Andre Caldwell, WR

Cody Latimer, WR

Jordan Norwood, WR

Isaiah Burse, WR

Sylvester Williams, DT

Marvin Austin, DT

Derek Wolfe, DE

DeMarcus Ware, DE
Malik Jackson, DE

Quanterus Smith, DE

Von Miller, LB

Danny Trevathan, LB

Lamin Barrow, LB

Corey Nelson, LB

Lerentee McCray, LB

Aqib Talib, CB

Bradley Roby, CB

Omar Bolden, CB

Kayvon Webster, CB

TJ Ward, S

David Bruton, S

Matt Prater, K

Britton Colquitt, P

Cap Use Estimate — 111,232,328

Free Agents in 2014:
  • Wes Welker, WR
  • 
Demaryius Thomas, WR

• Jacob Tamme, TE

• Julius Thomas, TE

• Virgil Green, TE

• Terrance Knighton, DT
  • 
Mitch Unrien, DT

• Chris Harris, CB
  • Tony Carter, CB
  • Rahim Moore, S

• Quinton Carter, S
  • Steven Johnson, ILB
  • 
Nate Irving, ILB

• Brandon Marshall, LB

• Will Montgomery, C

• Orlando Franklin, G
  • 
Ben Garland, G

• Paul Cornick, OL
  • Aaron Brewer, LS
Salary Notables, Based Off Spotrac Calculations:
  • Denver saves 745,000 if Norwood is cut.
  • Denver saves 770,000 if Hillman is cut.
  • Denver saves 1,350,000 if Caldwell is cut.
  • Denver saves 2,300,000 if Ramirez is cut.

• Denver saves 3,250,000 if Prater is cut.
  • 
Denver saves 2,250,000 if Colquitt is cut.

Last edited by Requiem; 09-09-2014 at 09:17 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Based off what I see above, we will be able to get some depth players back at a cheap price who are RFA's, along with some practice squad members making the team on the cheap. We will probably have about 10 draft choices and I would expect us to take advantage and use most of them given how many people are free agents.

What I do like is the veterans and key contributors that we have. We have the potential to lose some quality starters, but I like the holdover ratio we have. It is a lot better than I assumed it would be before I drafted up this template.

As of right now, every TE we have is a FA -- we will be drafting one of those for sure for the long term. That is an absolute guarantee.

From my perspective, in a perfect world we re-sign Demaryius, Julius and Knighton. At this point in time, I would assume Welker, Franklin, Montgomery and others walk. Due to age, ease of replacement and a few other factors.

I don't see us having the ability to bring back all three of Moore, Carter and Harris, Jr. As much as I like Harrism Jr. -- he will likely garner better offers on the market than we can simply afford. We have some youth who are under contract for a while (Roby, Webster) and Talib on a big deal. I think that is a place where we can see a replacement via draft or cheaper in free agency than the kind of coin Harris, Jr. could demand. I think the best case scenario is retaining one of these players. The silver lining is that safety is a position that a quality player can be drafted and contribute early. That is why I don't feel to worried about what we do here, given our highest potential players still remain on the roster in 2015.

I am just doing this -- really thinking out loud to see positions we will likely target in the draft. Even if the cap goes up to $145 million, money management is going to come into play. I really think Prater is on his last year here and quite frankly, spending the money we do on him and Colquitt is just crazy. I have listed potential cuts with their savings (CAP # - DEAD MONEY) to help see where we could go to get some relief. You guys feel free to comment or bring up questions.

Last edited by Requiem; 09-09-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Old 09-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Draft Prospects I'm Interested In

Eric Kendricks, ILB — UCLA
Ellis McCarthy, DL — UCLA
Shilique Calhoun, DE — Michigan State
Kurtis Drummond, FS — Michigan State
Todd Gurley, RB — Georgia
Leonard Floyd, OLB — Georgia
Ramik Wilson, LB — Georgia
Carl Davis, DT — Iowa
Danny Shelton, DT — Washington
Benardrick McKinney, LB — Mississippi State
Denzel Perryman, LB — Miami
A.J. Johnson, ILB — Tennessee
Derron Smith, FS — Fresno State
Cody Prewitt, FS — Ole Miss
Noah Spence, OLB — Ohio State
Jeff Heuerman, TE — Ohio State
A.J. Cann, OG — South Carolina
Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
NorthernistCaliforneeway7
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nice job Req. There's a lot of talent secured on the Broncos for next season. Too bad they (and by they I mean we) can't keep all the top guys.

I agree that Haris is gone. He's gonna get a sizable contract and there's just too much invested in CBs currently. I could see Green getting a cheap contract possibly, but more than likely not. I think theres a good chance Knighton isn't resigned like Bunkley was. He's a great player but he could demand a lot of cash like Harris. I'm not sure Sly or Austin can anchor so NT could be a major need. And who knows if Rahim the Dreams contract could look like. He could really help himself by playing well this season. As far as DT and Julius, I'd Imagine they're going to be here next season and I'd be incredibly disappointed to see either wearing another uniform.

Whatever happens, the Broncos are in great shape. It's almost too good to be true. I'd really like to know how much the Broncos could work with, but thats difficult to do right now or really anytime because there's so many things that could potentially happen to affect the cap space.
NorthernistCaliforneeway7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:54 AM   #5
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Nice post REQ, a lot of work went into that.
I'm not even going to try playing the guessing game about who we can sign and who we can't, at this point that's all you can do, guess.
I want everyone back but that won't happen!

I was looking at the comp picks, they're still using the same goofy formula, I think, so this is a guess to.
RFA we lost, Decker, Knowshon, Beadles, and Woodyard are really the only ones .
RFA we gained , Ward, Talib, and Samuels.
The formula is based on playing time and salary comparison, with Woodyard already on IR(IIRC) he won't count.
IMO we'll only get 1 maybe 2 comp picks if I'm wrong , I hope I am, let me know what you think.

Last edited by driver; 09-10-2014 at 12:59 AM..
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Driver,

Decker, Knowshon, Beadles, Holliday, Woodyard, DRC, Phillips, Ayers and Adams are all players we lost via free agency. Woodyard isn't on IR -- he and Phillips are with the Titans playing.

Sanders, Talib and Ward will go against us in the compensatory formula. Ware will not, since he was cut and I am not sure whether or not Montgomery was cut or a free agent to begin with. Either way, I am not sure how all that works, but we will be getting some selections. According to Kaylore, not only is it determined by the $ they got in FA, but how they play as well. So hopefully those guys do well so we can bolster the type of selection we get.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I envision something like this:

1. Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington
2. Karlos Williams, RB, FSU
3. Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia
5. (From Chicago) Adrian Amos, FS, Penn St.
5. Jake Smith, C/G, Louisville
6. Brett Boyko, OT, UNLV
7. Jared Roberts, K, CSU
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I like Shaq a lot, I just have a feeling he is going to be a really high pick. Not a bad draft at all. It will be even better once those compensatory selections really help out. At this point in time, even if we re-sign Julius we will have to draft a TE.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Driver,

Decker, Knowshon, Beadles, Holliday, Woodyard, DRC, Phillips, Ayers and Adams are all players we lost via free agency. Woodyard isn't on IR -- he and Phillips are with the Titans playing.
You're right about WW he's not on Titans IR, Thought I'd read that he had been injured and they put him on IR.
You're also right about DRC totally forgot about him. The others don't matter
only the top 32 FA are considered for purpose of determining who will receive comp picks. None of the guys you listed (bolded) is going to make the top 32.

With DRC figured in we will get at least 2 and probably 3 Comp picks IMO.

Adding this; If we get at least 2 fairly high comp picks (for Decker and Knowshon) then we can use our later round picks to move up if we want to,
nice to have that ability for a change.

Last edited by driver; 09-10-2014 at 04:10 PM..
driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: