The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #26
spiralism
Pro Bowler

Fox MUST go

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Dude, Seattle has a great defense. Nobody knows about it because of the over hype of Russell Wilson. I think Wilson is great, but that defense and that running game is what is really sexy about that team. And yes, Russell Wilson is fun to watch. He's like Jake Plummer only good.
You're kidding right? All people talk about is the Legion of Boom and Richard Sherman. Wilson gets praise sure, but not as much as those guys, Seattle's defence has been lauded by practically everyone.
spiralism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #27
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Our defense seems a bit like our 1997 defense - have to be aggressive to make up for the talent (not that there is no talent for either team, just that compared to the stacked O).
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #28
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
I realize you didn't come up with this statistic, but who cares how things stack up on the basis of a single game? This statistic is like a bikini: what it reveals is interesting but what it covers up is essential.

The fact is: Net-net, Denver has at best an above average Defense, taking into account ALL games played this season.

Combining statistics w/ common sense, I'd say that Denver's D ranks #3 among the 4 teams still in the playoffs.

#1. Seattle
#2. San Francisco
#3. Denver
#4. New England
Yet another pro Seattle, con Denver post from our resident Seahawks fan.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #29
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenin View Post
Better than Brian Griese?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #30
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Fox needs to grow a pair. Carroll is more like Lance Armstrong: he still has one functioning nut.
you seriously can't say anything about the Seahawks that would paint them in a bad light compared to the Broncos, can you?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #31
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
The reason for Seattle looking pedestrian on offense is Russell hasn't been very good lately. If you keep him in the pocket he is a below average passer. The Jake Plummer comparison is a good one. Seattle is ranked 31 in offense the last third of the season.
Heard on the radio sports talk show that the Seahawks had 44 yards of total offense in the 2nd half of their playoff game vs. Saints....31 came on Lynch's TD run.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #32
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
You're kidding right? All people talk about is the Legion of Boom and Richard Sherman. Wilson gets praise sure, but not as much as those guys, Seattle's defence has been lauded by practically everyone.
I agree...the only time they talk about Wilson is when they point out his W-L record as Seahawks starting QB @ Quest Field being 16-1. Hell they talk more about the "12th man" more than Wilson.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #33
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Heard on the radio sports talk show that the Seahawks had 44 yards of total offense in the 2nd half of their playoff game vs. Saints....31 came on Lynch's TD run.
Yeah...anyone who watched the game could see how nasty it was. They went ultra conservative with the play calling too. It was literally as if John Fox and McCoy from Tebow days was calling the plays.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #34
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
The purpose of the thread isn't to try to make the Broncos out to be the 2000 Ravens, or the Seahawks the 2008 Broncos, because they aren't. And I acknowledge that we only played one game while some played two.

But to say these stats mean nothing is disingenuous in the least, and in denial in the most. Every team in the playoffs is good and all the tape is out on them. There are no scheme advantages anymore; you are what you are, and the numbers suggest that the Broncos are playing the best defense they have played all year. Just when you need it.

I just thought with all the handwringing going on with the defense, especially after the loss of Harris, this board would be glad to know how well this defense played when compared to the other playoff games.
thanks, but i am still concerned that BRADY is smart ewnough and talented enough to expose our weakest link on D and consistently abuse that defender in bewtween running the ball down our throats.
sorry, this one week stat brings me no comfort.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #35
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Well, unlike Obama who thinks that an increase in Federal employment means that unemployment is falling, I'm actually capable of looking at simple statistics and reaching common sense conclusions:

Regular Season Stats

Fewest Points Allowed Per Game - Seattle - #1
Fewest Passing Yards Allowed Per Game - Seattle - #1
Fewest Rushing Yards Allowed Per Game - Seattle - #13
Fewest Receiving TD's Allowed - Seattle - #3
Fewest Rushing TD's Allowed - Seattle - #1 (tied w/ Carolina)
Total Interceptions - Seattle - #1
Forced Fumbles - Seattle - #4
Overall Ranking - Seattle - #1
No worries, AB. I made the same call back in Sep and got ripped for it, lol. Common sense is uncommon.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...le#post3924912
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #36
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This is good because we were facing the number four offense that game. And we held the best third down team in the league to 33% conversion, which was their lowest of the year. I like that we modified how we played ball to beat them. That adaptability will play big this Sunday when Belichick takes away what you like to do.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #37
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
This is good because we were facing the number four offense that game. And we held the best third down team in the league to 33% conversion, which was their lowest of the year. I like that we modified how we played ball to beat them. That adaptability will play big this Sunday when Belichick takes away what you like to do.
I went back and watched the game again last night...
The Broncos offensive drives were simply beautiful. Peyton Manning was in pure control, it was like watching an artist paint a masterpiece.

Time after time, you look up, 5 mins, 7 mins, 9 mins off the clock.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #38
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Note to self: Never start a thread that might remotely disparage Seattle because Armchair Seahawk will come in and diarrhea all over it.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #39
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I realize you didn't come up with this statistic, but who cares how things stack up on the basis of a single game? This statistic is like a bikini: what it reveals is interesting but what it covers up is essential.

The fact is: Net-net, Denver has at best an above average Defense, taking into account ALL games played this season.

Combining statistics w/ common sense, I'd say that Denver's D ranks #3 among the 4 teams still in the playoffs.

#1. Seattle
#2. San Francisco
#3. Denver
#4. New England
I put NE above Denver purely because of Bellichick.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #40
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

With Chris Harris.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #41
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Dude, Seattle has a great defense. Nobody knows about it because of the over hype of Russell Wilson. I think Wilson is great, but that defense and that running game is what is really sexy about that team. And yes, Russell Wilson is fun to watch. He's like Jake Plummer only good.
nobody knows about that Seattle DEFENSE?!?!?!?!?
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #42
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
this. that seattle defense is getting so much love it's puke worthy.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #43
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
San Diego actually had the 2nd best offense in the league this year. 1st in yards/drive, plays, TOP. 2nd (to us) in points and drive success rate. The only spot they were ranked a little lower was TO's at 11th (we were 15th).

New Orleans was right behind the Chargers at 2 or 3 in all those categories (except TO's they were 2nd). Denver, San Diego, and New Orleans were the top 3 offenses and after that it gets muddled.

So Denver with its 3-headed monster at CB for the first time all season looked every bit as good as Seattle.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #44
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

And that was WITH Jammer pooping all over the field and rolling around in it.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #45
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

If Denver gets past the Pats (and I believe we will) -- the issue will be whether the Broncos can overcome the time-proven rule that a good defense beats a good offense.

Can Denver's offensive machine prevail over SF or Seattle?

Yes. With Manning at the helm -- anything is possible.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #46
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
I went back and watched the game again last night...
The Broncos offensive drives were simply beautiful. Peyton Manning was in pure control, it was like watching an artist paint a masterpiece.

Time after time, you look up, 5 mins, 7 mins, 9 mins off the clock.
Agree completely, and if Belicheat concedes the run again in this game like he did in the 1st matchup against us, it will be a similar game plan offensively next Sunday as it was last Sunday.

That said, Beli always changes things up, so it will be interesting in how Gase & Manning adjust. I have a feeling our defense matches up better with their offense, than does their offense match up with our defense. Let's hope that is the case.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #47
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
I'm surprised, but like everyone else I'm still upset that our real defense is on IR.

Wherever you get your info, consider a new source. Federal employment is at an all-time low.

Today the US government employs just 2% of people with jobs. In 1966 under LBJ, it was more than double: 4.3%.
BOOM!!!!!!!!!
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #48
uplink
Ring of Famer

looks like JDR will be back next year, I was thinking he might be a candidate in Minni. I like him as a coach. It hard to be the top ranked defense when your offense is so good, just seems to work out that way. The defense is developing a lot of good players. In the Shanny days they would just have to find defenders in free agency each year. This staff has a good eye for defensive talent.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #49
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
If Denver gets past the Pats (and I believe we will) -- the issue will be whether the Broncos can overcome the time-proven rule that a good defense beats a good offense.

Can Denver's offensive machine prevail over SF or Seattle?

Yes. With Manning at the helm -- anything is possible.
The rule of good quarterbacks winning Super Bowls is held in high regard as well, and I don't think we'll be seeing many Manning vs. Kaepernick or Wilson breakdowns.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #50
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

How are we against the fun?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote