The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #1
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default Broncos have #1 ranked defense in playoffs.

Yes, it's true. The Broncos are first in yardage at 259 yards given up per game and #2 in points (17) of all 12 playoff teams during these playoff games. Yes, it's a small sample size, but certainly not insignificant as all data is from playoff games. All data given is per game.

Also, the Broncos are #1 against the run (65 yds), the Pats are #2(69 yds), and while we are ranked #4 against the pass of all 12 teams, we are #1 against the pass of the 4 remaining teams! To put it in perspective, Seattle is #10 (but#1 in points) of all playoff teams against the pass, and the Pats are #11 and dead last of the remaining 4.

And it's not like the Broncos went against some deadbeat offense either. The Chargers were highly ranked during the regular season, and Rivers was the 4th best passing QB in the playoffs, IMO. I just think the game plan defensively was superb and guys stepped up, for 3 quarters anyway.

Anyway, like I said, it's a small sample size, but very encouraging, to me at least, that our defense is playing at a playoff level. I am getting more and more confidence that we can compete at a high level defensively this Sunday and beyond.

For the record, we are ranked 6th offensively in yards per game out of 12, but 2nd behind the Pats, of the final 4! SF is 7th & Seattle is 11th and dead last of the 4. We lead the final 4 in passing yardage, but trail all 4 in rushing yards with 133, which is much higher than our regular season average, IIRC.

Here's the link:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...1&d-447263-n=1
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler
 
Armchair Bronco's Avatar
 
Call me "Old School"

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 601

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon
Default

I realize you didn't come up with this statistic, but who cares how things stack up on the basis of a single game? This statistic is like a bikini: what it reveals is interesting but what it covers up is essential.

The fact is: Net-net, Denver has at best an above average Defense, taking into account ALL games played this season.

Combining statistics w/ common sense, I'd say that Denver's D ranks #3 among the 4 teams still in the playoffs.

#1. Seattle
#2. San Francisco
#3. Denver
#4. New England
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
At Unbelievers

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,907

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
I realize you didn't come up with this statistic, but who cares how things stack up on the basis of a single game? This statistic is like a bikini: what it reveals is interesting but what it covers up is essential.

The fact is: Net-net, Denver has at best an above average Defense, taking into account ALL games played this season.

Combining statistics w/ common sense, I'd say that Denver's D ranks #3 among the 4 teams still in the playoffs.

#1. Seattle
#2. San Francisco
#3. Denver
#4. New England
I'm surprised you would think Seattle has the best Defense.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:43 AM   #4
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler
 
Armchair Bronco's Avatar
 
Call me "Old School"

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 601

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I'm surprised you would think Seattle has the best Defense.
Well, unlike Obama who thinks that an increase in Federal employment means that unemployment is falling, I'm actually capable of looking at simple statistics and reaching common sense conclusions:

Regular Season Stats

Fewest Points Allowed Per Game - Seattle - #1
Fewest Passing Yards Allowed Per Game - Seattle - #1
Fewest Rushing Yards Allowed Per Game - Seattle - #13
Fewest Receiving TD's Allowed - Seattle - #3
Fewest Rushing TD's Allowed - Seattle - #1 (tied w/ Carolina)
Total Interceptions - Seattle - #1
Forced Fumbles - Seattle - #4
Overall Ranking - Seattle - #1

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/by..._group=Defense

Last edited by Armchair Bronco; 01-15-2014 at 12:51 AM..
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:54 AM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
Peddling the Orange Addiction

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,268

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Dude, Seattle has a great defense. Nobody knows about it because of the over hype of Russell Wilson. I think Wilson is great, but that defense and that running game is what is really sexy about that team. And yes, Russell Wilson is fun to watch. He's like Jake Plummer only good.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #6
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!
 
Blart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,927

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time
Default

I'm surprised, but like everyone else I'm still upset that our real defense is on IR.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Well, unlike Obama who thinks that an increase in Federal employment means that unemployment is falling
Wherever you get your info, consider a new source. Federal employment is at an all-time low.



Today the US government employs just 2% of people with jobs. In 1966 under LBJ, it was more than double: 4.3%.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:12 AM   #7
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,618

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Well, unlike Obama who thinks that an increase in Federal employment means that unemployment is falling, I'm actually capable of looking at simple statistics and reaching common sense conclusions:

Regular Season Stats

Fewest Points Allowed Per Game - Seattle - #1
Fewest Passing Yards Allowed Per Game - Seattle - #1
Fewest Rushing Yards Allowed Per Game - Seattle - #13
Fewest Receiving TD's Allowed - Seattle - #3
Fewest Rushing TD's Allowed - Seattle - #1 (tied w/ Carolina)
Total Interceptions - Seattle - #1
Forced Fumbles - Seattle - #4
Overall Ranking - Seattle - #1

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/by..._group=Defense
Last I checked a job is a job. Fed or private it counts the same.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler
 
Armchair Bronco's Avatar
 
Call me "Old School"

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 601

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Dude, Seattle has a great defense. Nobody knows about it because of the over hype of Russell Wilson. I think Wilson is great, but that defense and that running game is what is really sexy about that team. And yes, Russell Wilson is fun to watch. He's like Jake Plummer only good.
*If* Wilson is over-hyped, it's not his fault. Even Wilson knows that Marshawn Lynch is the heart of the team and the defense is the soul.

For some reason, the coaches have put the training wheels back on Wilson the last few games. Maybe the thinking goes like this: "A world-class defense can win us the Super Bowl, so we don't need Wilson to be extra-ordinary and either risk an injury or an ill-timed turnover." Actually, this method worked wonders for the Baltimore Ravens back when Trent Dilfer was taking snaps.

Seattle's conservative approach is working, but the ratio of exciting plays by Wilson has declined accordingly. I just hate it when a gifted athlete is unnaturally chained to the pocket.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:14 AM   #9
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
At Unbelievers

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,907

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Last I checked a job is a job. Fed or private it counts the same.
Unlike in the NFL, where CB's on the Seahawks are spared sanctions that other teams have to abide by.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 AM   #10
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default

The purpose of the thread isn't to try to make the Broncos out to be the 2000 Ravens, or the Seahawks the 2008 Broncos, because they aren't. And I acknowledge that we only played one game while some played two.

But to say these stats mean nothing is disingenuous in the least, and in denial in the most. Every team in the playoffs is good and all the tape is out on them. There are no scheme advantages anymore; you are what you are, and the numbers suggest that the Broncos are playing the best defense they have played all year. Just when you need it.

I just thought with all the handwringing going on with the defense, especially after the loss of Harris, this board would be glad to know how well this defense played when compared to the other playoff games.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:33 AM   #11
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler
 
Armchair Bronco's Avatar
 
Call me "Old School"

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 601

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
The purpose of the thread isn't to try to make the Broncos out to be the 2000 Ravens, or the Seahawks the 2008 Broncos, because they aren't. And I acknowledge that we only played one game while some played two.
I wasn't finger pointing. The news is good, but IMO a better analysis would be based on the last 4 or 5 games, including the playoffs.

Using stats from a single game doesn't really do much to illuminate the shadows.

Anyway, this season it was never really about the defense, anyway. Look at the Dallas game. PFM and the Broncos basically said: We're gonna have a track meet. Let's see if you can keep pace with us. What emerged was one of the highest scoring games in modern NFL history.

Denver doesn't need a great defense if the offense continues to put up 30 or 40 points per game. And Seattle may not need a great offense if their D can hold opponents to 13 or 14 points per game.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #12
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
*If* Wilson is over-hyped, it's not his fault. Even Wilson knows that Marshawn Lynch is the heart of the team and the defense is the soul.

For some reason, the coaches have put the training wheels back on Wilson the last few games. Maybe the thinking goes like this: "A world-class defense can win us the Super Bowl, so we don't need Wilson to be extra-ordinary and either risk an injury or an ill-timed turnover." Actually, this method worked wonders for the Baltimore Ravens back when Trent Dilfer was taking snaps.

Seattle's conservative approach is working, but the ratio of exciting plays by Wilson has declined accordingly. I just hate it when a gifted athlete is unnaturally chained to the pocket.
Carroll needs to grow a pair.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:39 AM   #13
whoeey
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 288

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

worst economy ever. look at how many entirely dropped out of workforce. 16 can't come soon enuff
whoeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:39 AM   #14
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler
 
Armchair Bronco's Avatar
 
Call me "Old School"

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 601

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Carroll needs to grow a pair.
Fox needs to grow a pair. Carroll is more like Lance Armstrong: he still has one functioning nut.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #15
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
I wasn't finger pointing. The news is good, but IMO a better analysis would be based on the last 4 or 5 games, including the playoffs.

Using stats from a single game doesn't really do much to illuminate the shadows.

Anyway, this season it was never really about the defense, anyway. Look at the Dallas game. PFM and the Broncos basically said: We're gonna have a track meet. Let's see if you can keep pace with us. What emerged was one of the highest scoring games in modern NFL history.

Denver doesn't need a great defense if the offense continues to put up 30 or 40 points per game. And Seattle may not need a great offense if their D can hold opponents to 13 or 14 points per game.
The problem with analysis of the last few games is the level of competition of those games. The Chargers were the only real good team. So how would we have known if those stats meant anything?

Even though I believed they were getting better, it isn't until the playoffs that you know for sure, because as we know, everyone is good and playing at a different intensity.

Anyway, and hopefully, the Broncos can continue this trend like they had to when the offense doesn't score 30 points like they did last Sunday.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 AM   #16
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 2,428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Fox needs to grow a pair. Carroll is more like Lance Armstrong: he still has one functioning nut.
I've seen almost nothing conservative about this year's team. If you think otherwise, I have no idea what you have been watching.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 AM   #17
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,526

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

If you're looking for a political discussion, we have a place for that. It isn't the football forum. Please stop hijacking football discussions to politics. TIA.

/mod mode
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 AM   #18
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler
 
Armchair Bronco's Avatar
 
Call me "Old School"

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 601

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
I've seen almost nothing conservative about this year's team. If you think otherwise, I have no idea what you have been watching.
I *think* it was in reference to a thread I started early in the season about Fox needing to grow a pair. That was before his heart attack / surgery.

My contention was that Fox's conservative mentality cost us the win against Baltimore last year.

I do think that compared to 2012, Fox & Company have been more aggressive, in some respects much more aggressive. Any time Fox goes for it on 4th and whatever it's a cause for celebration. But his instinct is still to go full turtle if the Broncos are protecting a small lead while the other team is trying to claw its way back into the game.

Pete Carroll did pretty much the same thing last season against Atlanta in the playoffs. Instead of playing to win, he tried to hold on to a tenuous lead...which was squandered in the waning moments of the game.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:15 AM   #19
driver
Pro Bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 519

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
Today the US government employs just 2% of people with jobs. In 1966 under LBJ, it was more than double: 4.3%.
It was called the draft !
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:20 AM   #20
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler
 
Armchair Bronco's Avatar
 
Call me "Old School"

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 601

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon
Default

Guys, my political comment was made "en passant" and was not intended to start a political debate.

Cease and desist, or any future opportunities for passing political references and analogies (which do have their place AFAIK) will be lost for good.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #21
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,605

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

The reason for Seattle looking pedestrian on offense is Russell hasn't been very good lately. If you keep him in the pocket he is a below average passer. The Jake Plummer comparison is a good one. Seattle is ranked 31 in offense the last third of the season.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #22
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,826
Default

I'll take SF defense right now.

Just seems to me when those LBers hit you you go backwards.

Add in country strong Justin Smith and Aldon Smith I like what SF brings this weekend

It's a rich man's problem anyways deciding who's has a better defense SEA or SF
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #23
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,401

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

It's a solid defense that has had too much stress put on it for the following reasons:

1. Offensive scoring
2. Fast offensive pace
3. Injuries
4. Offensive turnovers
5. Key smaller players whose bodies can't really hold up all season (Wesley/Duke)
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #24
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 869

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Dude, Seattle has a great defense. Nobody knows about it because of the over hype of Russell Wilson. I think Wilson is great, but that defense and that running game is what is really sexy about that team. And yes, Russell Wilson is fun to watch. He's like Jake Plummer only good.
Better than Brian Griese?
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #25
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
v2micca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 844
Default

This may simply be my limited perspective, but I feel our defense, particularly our pass defense plays too aggressively and as a result they can be burned for the big play. Our D line is more than capable of shutting down a run game, provided they aren't being run ragged by our secondary giving up big play after big play on third and long. I get really frustrated with our secondary as it feels like too often, they are going for the big play, instead of the smart play. As long as our offense is clicking, we don't need turn-overs. We just need the defense to get off the field on 3rd and long.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12 AM.


Denver Broncos