The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
uplink
Ring of Famer

Default Heavy boxing bag: good cardio + muscle tone ?

Hey I just got a 100lb heavy bag and bag hanger. I'm thinking its good for a cardio work out that tones muscles as well. Was I right? Anyone know any good exercises to do with the heavy bag? Its funner than running on the tread mill and doesn't damage the knees like running does.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I bought one about 12-13 years ago. My intention was to have a fun workout that allowed me to blow off some aggression. I was running 4-5 miles per day, but hated every minute of it. So I went to some local sports store and came home with a heavy bag and some cheap boxing gloves. I quickly learned some salient points:

1. Learn how to correctly throw a punch before hitting a heavy bag. Cannot stress this enough. I had been in the occasional fight during grade-school and junior high, and felt like I could throw a decent punch. I was wrong. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, you are going to injure something (most likely your wrist).

2. Buy a quality set of knuckle wraps and boxing gloves. You will quickly wear the skin off of your knuckles otherwise, and probably will do it anyway (at a slower pace) with decent gear until you get callous formation.

3. Hitting a heavy bag did not make me less aggressive. In fact, quite the opposite.

4. Hitting a heavy bag becomes incredibly boring fairly quickly. Once you're into it for about 10 minutes, you'll think of just about anything else to do for a workout.

I gave mine away when I graduated medical school mainly because I didn't have the space for it when moving. I also picked a profession that requires intact hands and skin, so I figured my punching bag days were over. Still wish I had it every once in a while.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I bought one about 12-13 years ago. My intention was to have a fun workout that allowed me to blow off some aggression. I was running 4-5 miles per day, but hated every minute of it. So I went to some local sports store and came home with a heavy bag and some cheap boxing gloves. I quickly learned some salient points:

1. Learn how to correctly throw a punch before hitting a heavy bag. Cannot stress this enough. I had been in the occasional fight during grade-school and junior high, and felt like I could throw a decent punch. I was wrong. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, you are going to injure something (most likely your wrist).

2. Buy a quality set of knuckle wraps and boxing gloves. You will quickly wear the skin off of your knuckles otherwise, and probably will do it anyway (at a slower pace) with decent gear until you get callous formation.

3. Hitting a heavy bag did not make me less aggressive. In fact, quite the opposite.

4. Hitting a heavy bag becomes incredibly boring fairly quickly. Once you're into it for about 10 minutes, you'll think of just about anything else to do for a workout.

I gave mine away when I graduated medical school mainly because I didn't have the space for it when moving. I also picked a profession that requires intact hands and skin, so I figured my punching bag days were over. Still wish I had it every once in a while.
Thanks for the info. My hands are getting a bit swollen especially near the pinky finger. I've been watching youtube videos on punching techniques.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Bronco Yoda

Relax... I got this!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

I use one for the kids batting practice. Helps muscle memory in turning the hips and weight transfer. Also strapping the end of the bat with a bungee cord helps to learn how to throw your hands. Combine the two and it's a great addition to your baseball/softball training regiment
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote