The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #101
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I realize this is like comparing super models, so it's probably stupid, but I think you have to do something historic to be considered the best. The 98 Broncos weren't even the best scoring offense of their season. And 2013 Broncos strength of schedule was harder than the one the 98 Broncos faced.
That's a strange notion. Terrell Davis is the best all-around back I've ever personally seen play, but he wasn't the best at any one thing really. Also let's keep in mind that they also scored a lot of points throughout the playoffs. We still have to wait and see if this offense does the same.

Oh and the '97-'98 Broncos had the best rushing offense ever. That I firmly hold to be true to this day. Even playoff defenses were helpless against it.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #102
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
That would be an awesome game!

1998 Denver won by an average of 31-19 in 2013 Denver won by an average score 38-25.

98- 12 point ave. margin
13- 13 point ave. margin

and I rounded so it is even closer than a one point difference!!
Difference being Terrell Davis and the starters sat at least four second halves that season. He could have the single season rushing record and the margin you just pointed out would be null.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #103
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Difference being Terrell Davis and the starters sat at least four second halves that season. He could have the single season rushing record and the margin you just pointed out would be null.
Yeah Denver was up 28-0 on Philadelphia and Davis did not play any in the second half.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #104
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'm sorry but saying they aren't because their time of possession isn't good is the stuipidest argument I've ever heard. "Guys! They score too many points too quickly!!! The REALLY great offenses are the ones that score 17 points in a game but hold onto the ball for 40 minutes of game clock!"

What an idiotic argument.
Everyone who played on the 72 dolphins team would disagree.
You pointed out that the an argument could be made for the 1950 rams being the best offense EVER, and they weren't exactly dependent on the pass to score. By the way you could add in the 51 rams. Solid defenses', good special teams, and great running games can be overpowering too!

Last edited by driver; 12-30-2013 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: ++++
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:42 AM   #105
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
That's a strange notion. Terrell Davis is the best all-around back I've ever personally seen play, but he wasn't the best at any one thing really. Also let's keep in mind that they also scored a lot of points throughout the playoffs. We still have to wait and see if this offense does the same.

Oh and the '97-'98 Broncos had the best rushing offense ever. That I firmly hold to be true to this day. Even playoff defenses were helpless against it.
I watched the dismantling of the Dirty birds in SBXXXIII at Ruffs Rozet Bar along with the hands from the Pickeral ranch. Then made the statement that TD was the best RB I'd ever seen, they hooted me out of the place of course.
I still spit when I see Lepsis' name or hear it.
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #106
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

Yaaaaawwwwnnn

The MSM loves these comparisons but really comparing teams and players from different eras - especially in football where the rules change constantly - is just silly.

Is JE or PFM the better QB? Heck I don't know! JE was the most remarkable scrambler, improvisor, and clutch QB I ever saw. PFM is the smartest, most consistent, and most accurate QB I ever saw. They are both friking awesome!!!! The same goes for the 97/98 teams vs 2013. And to pick one over the other is like choosing between the best chocolate versus the best caramel; in the end it is what you like.

Gonna sit back and enjoy both teams and QBs and feel privileged that they were all Denver Broncos!
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #107
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

(Celebration thread instantly turns into multi page argument)
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #108
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
(Celebration thread instantly turns into multi page argument)
Khan is right ... it's a super-model-like matter of opinion.

I think '13 Broncos, '98 vikes, '99 hams and '94 niners were the best I ever saw ... but as a coach or GM, I wouldn't go near Randall Cunningham, regardless how many yards he could get.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #109
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Didn't read the whole tread.

But does anyone know how the all-time point-scoring offenses break down versus the league average for their year?

For instance, Pedro Martinez sporting a sub-2 ERA in the AL during the steroid era is more impressive than anything Clayton Kershaw has done during this new 1960's-style pitching era. Even if he has the best career ERA in history. That's why they have ERA+ (which Pedro obliterates everybody, including video games).

It's amazing how primitive NFL statistics are compared to baseball. Even a simple standard deviations over the league average would be more informative than just saying "Oh, 2013 Broncos most points EVA!!!!!"
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #110
mennonite
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Baseball is so damn bring. Doing the calculus necessary to figure out whether a pitcher sucks or not is more entertaining than the actual game.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #111
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
It was the best rushing offense ever. There were games TD was sitting after the half.

That Dallas game where TD ripped off back to back 60 yard TD runs was amazing. TD won the Redskins game that John was out single handedly.

This year we have more depth at WR and even TE. Would have been interesting to see what John could have done if he were healthy the entire year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7gBGYSyCA
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #112
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The problem just with using statistics to compare two different teams is that it doesn't account for external factors. I'm not poo pooing what PFM and the Broncos have been doing this year but lets face it truth... All of these records will be broken in < 5 years. With the way the NFL is changing with hitting, tackling, CBs ability to cover/pressure it's all leading towards way more passing and scoring.

There is no way to account in the statistics in 2013 vs. the 1998 teams as the game has fundamentally changed.

If you wanted to win in 98 you need a D and a dominant run game. Your receivers had to be gritty like Eddie Mac and Rod so they could take hits and pick up critical 3rd downs. They didn't have to be blazing dynamic athletes to take it to the house. Picture Decker and Princess DT trying to catch balls in 98 coverage. Their mascara would be running before they were 3 yards off the ball.

Anyway I'll just be happy with 1 to 2 superbowls from PFM and call it a day.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #113
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
The problem just with using statistics to compare two different teams is that it doesn't account for external factors. I'm not poo pooing what PFM and the Broncos have been doing this year but lets face it truth... All of these records will be broken in < 5 years. With the way the NFL is changing with hitting, tackling, CBs ability to cover/pressure it's all leading towards way more passing and scoring.

There is no way to account in the statistics in 2013 vs. the 1998 teams as the game has fundamentally changed.

If you wanted to win in 98 you need a D and a dominant run game. Your receivers had to be gritty like Eddie Mac and Rod so they could take hits and pick up critical 3rd downs. They didn't have to be blazing dynamic athletes to take it to the house. Picture Decker and Princess DT trying to catch balls in 98 coverage. Their mascara would be running before they were 3 yards off the ball.

Anyway I'll just be happy with 1 to 2 superbowls from PFM and call it a day.
Imagine Randy Moss that princess playing in 1998 and then in 2007. Oh wait

DT is a beast and with a top QB would thrive in 1998 or 2013
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #114
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
I'm not so sure it will be that fast. A LOT of things have to break your way to set these records:

You have to stay healthy for the whole year + your receivers have to stay healthy along with you.

You need to play all 16 games in their entirety or very close to it.

You need the weather to cooperate for the most part.

You need a QB like Manning, Brady or Brees. Once they retire, how many of the current crop have shown they can even come close to these numbers?

You need an offensive system that allows for it to even be possible.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #115
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
1998 Broncos offense was better in my opinion. Still, an amazing achievement by Manning and Co.
Hahahahahahahaha.

What?