The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #101
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

This thread is flawed. Or at least the initial post on the subject is.
There are different scenarios and circumstances for each player that has sat for one year or multiple ones and then finally played.
Old school NFL theory was that you sat a QB for 1-2 seasons behind a vet and then started him after he was a understudy. That pretty much all went out of the window with Matt Ryan.

Now the expectation is that the QB must be ready to go from the start or he is in some way flawed and unworthy.
It does not matter how long it takes for the QB to start. It matters how they prepare and how they use their chance once it comes around.

Peyton himself asked Elway who the back up was going to be and endorsed drafting a guy because he did not want to see what happened in Indy happen to Denver should he go down. He hated watching his teammates suffer through losing because he couldn't play.

No quaterback, regardless of who we would have drafted would be getting PT without Peyton being so hurt that he could not play. Not Russell Wilson, not a guy that was taken this year.
Oz is a developmental QB and this was known when he was taken. I am much happier knowing we have a guy with franchise QB potential already on the roster than having to draft someone after Peyton retires and then him having to learn the system.

Fans need to get over the Lavonte David thing. Yes we have a need at MLB but our scouts have been on point since Elway has taken over. We will find a MLB either through the draft or FA.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #102
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL-Eric View Post
Bull****.. try this, find me an example of a team signing a QB to a 5 yr deal then spending their 2nd rounder the same offseason on the same position PLEASE, someone offer proof of this ever happening?

Is my argument that hard to understand?
FA's like manning are NEVER available so there is no proof of it ever happening because teams usually keep there HOF QB's.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #103
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Osweiler was part of Plan A.

"Impact players."

Trevathan in his round outweighs David in the second. What stinks is not getting someone who could have contributed immediately at a PON.

Outside a few selections, the drafting with our regime is still suspect. Players who have been here prior, plus our good FA pick-ups have been pulling the weight. Here is to hoping they address true needs and get good players this draft.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #104
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think it's early, but I'm more optimistic about the draft than I was. Our ability to find and develop starters in the middle rounds is pretty impressive.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #105
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
Doesn't count. They don't have elite abs.
I don't want to know how you came into that information
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #106
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Osweiler was part of Plan A.

"Impact players."

Trevathan in his round outweighs David in the second. What stinks is not getting someone who could have contributed immediately at a PON.

Outside a few selections, the drafting with our regime is still suspect. Players who have been here prior, plus our good FA pick-ups have been pulling the weight. Here is to hoping they address true needs and get good players this draft.
I am still praying for a MIKE in the draft, and have been since the end of Wilson
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #107
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I am still praying for a MIKE in the draft, and have been since the end of Wilson
We can only hope. I watched Khalil Mack highlights yesterday and he is solid. I can see where BPC thinks Van Noy could do it for us. Very well rounded players. We would have to move up. Even for Mosley too.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #108
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Old school NFL theory was that you sat a QB for 1-2 seasons behind a vet and then started him after he was a understudy. That pretty much all went out of the window with Matt Ryan.
Thank you. I was talking on draft day last year about the new QB paradigm, and how rookies start ALL THE TIME now, especially re: Osweiler instead of David. Who'd be looking pretty damnedably good in orange right about now. Osweiler might be teriffic e-v-e-n-t-u-ally, but we had a 2-4 year window with Peyton, we shouldda loaded every barrel.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #109
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Thank you. I was talking on draft day last year about the new QB paradigm, and how rookies start ALL THE TIME now, especially re: Osweiler instead of David. Who'd be looking pretty damnedably good in orange right about now. Osweiler might be teriffic e-v-e-n-t-u-ally, but we had a 2-4 year window with Peyton, we shouldda loaded every barrel.
Again, we weren't even sure we had a one year window with Manning.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #110
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Again, we weren't even sure we had a one year window with Manning.
Like Brock would have been able step up last season and lead this team as 1 yr starter in college. No way. You take flyers in the mid rounds not the 2nd.
ATL-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #111
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL-Eric View Post
Like Brock would have been able step up last season and lead this team as 1 yr starter in college. No way. You take flyers in the mid rounds not the 2nd.
You need an intervention.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #112
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I need an intervention, too ... the Von injury spells trouble down the line here. And it's exactly the kind of situation I was thinking of when I went soapbox on draft day on the Osweiler/over/David pick.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #113
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

In fact, I spend plenty of time hiding from my old posts ... I'm gonna go the other way .....

Please pardon an old man re-posting an old rant that looks mildly prescient. For now anyway. If it changes, here's hoping I find some way to hide from this re-post:

With period-specific avatar, I might add.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...3&postcount=81