The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #76
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Holliday has 1 negative play this year and 2 TD's. Welker has 2 ridiculously negative plays (tried to catch a ball at the 3 and didn't try to catch a ball beyond the 20). Caldwell nearly fumbled last game. So Holliday has basically made the fewest mistakes on about 50 more tries than our other returners. If he's healthy he needs to be in there.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #77
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
You will have to forgive me for I deal in facts and not...whatever the hell that was.

I'm sure that it hurts the defense to an extent that DRC was not on the field for the rest of the Patriots game. But what I have seen is claim after claim that:

A. Holliday is to blame for DRCs injury (rather than calling a spade a spade and drawing the factual conclusion that DRC is a fool and injured himself without anyone else's influence. Seriously, the guy dove into the ground trying to intercept a pass with no time left on the clock and with no offensive receiver anywhere near him).

B. DRC's injury is what made our defense go from juggernaut to sh*t. We have to first realize that our first half defense was in no way sustainable due to the improbable number of fumbles that we were forcing and recovering, as well as the fact that TOM ****ing Brady was playing quarterback for the other team. On this latter note, we knew they were going to make adjustments and that was a big factor in them beating our defense. Other factors: 1. Our offense playing it safe 2. Turning the ball over 3. It being really god damn cold and the way extreme weather affects football games.

Let me say something else: Do you remember when we first got Champ Bailey and everyone thought he would fix our problems against Peyton Manning and the Colts? How did that work out? You can blame it on Roc Alexander but you would again be falling victim to the same type of logic you see above. We didn't have a pass rush. That was the biggest problem. Guess what happened while the Patriots were making their come back: We had no pass rush!

So there it is, argue that at your own peril because it's rock ****ing solid.
stop with the reality, its not well received around here.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #78
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post

best news of both sides of the ball
Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #79
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post

Ben Garland's beardcicle after practice. The beard is probable for Sunday.
Is this for real? Holy ****.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #80
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
It is ****ing cold here.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #81
spiralism
Pro Bowler

Fox MUST go

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
Holliday has 1 negative play this year and 2 TD's. Welker has 2 ridiculously negative plays (tried to catch a ball at the 3 and didn't try to catch a ball beyond the 20). Caldwell nearly fumbled last game. So Holliday has basically made the fewest mistakes on about 50 more tries than our other returners. If he's healthy he needs to be in there.
I miss having Jim Leonhard when we wanted security on returns. You could have him catching the ball in the pissing rain or a blizzard and he was safe as houses.
spiralism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #82
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
A pipe in my office building froze and it's flooding the lobby with sewage water. One can only imagine what this is doing to baby-delicate Manning's arm. He might explode with sewage.
The good news is, there is a 2 for 1 sale on hepatitis shots at your local Walmart Emergency Care/Beauty Parlor/Take-n-Bake Pizza location.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #83
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Gase claims wind is a bigger factor than cold for passing.
Is it just me, or is the a "Well, no duhhh" comment?

Isn't it obvious that wind would affect a pass more than just plain cold weather?
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #84
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Is it just me, or is the a "Well, no duhhh" comment?

Isn't it obvious that wind would affect a pass more than just plain cold weather?
when they asked JFE who was the toughest defender he ever faced, his response was,
"THE WIND AT THE MEADOWLANDS"
Old 12-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #85
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
It is ****ing cold here.
Gonna be -22 (low) in Fargo tomorrow. *puts on shorts*
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #86
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Gonna be -22 (low) in Fargo tomorrow. *puts on shorts*
Basically the same here. -16 (low)
Old 12-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #87
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
when they asked JFE who was the toughest defender he ever faced, his response was,
"THE WIND AT THE MEADOWLANDS"
Old Stadium. Dunno if the new one has those swirling winds.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #88
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Basically the same here. -16 (low)
Freezing here too. Only 60!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #89
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Definitely for real. Was it snowing, or is that just frozen snot? Snotcicles...I remember those when I lived in Denver.

Now I'm smarter....when its cold I stay inside..
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #90
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Brett Kern not practicing is interesting. Injuries to Kickers/Punters always go under the radar until a punt is blocked or a coach goes for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG because their kicker is hurt.
Honestly the punter scenario would probably help a team more than it would hurt it. I'm always amazed that the NFL hasn't noticed what has happened to baseball and started actually looking at data instead of following the archaic principles and guidelines of always punting the ball on 4th down. I don't know the exact data on hand but it's something like a 4th and 8 from your own 30 is a pick-em, and anything better than that you go for it.

The baseball teams that started looking at real data, instead of old-school statistics like batting average and RBI's, got a huge advantage on the rest of the league in the early 2000's. Football, for some reason, has still not realized this 15 years later. It just takes a coach with balls to come along and ignore the ridiculous assertions about football and actually do what the data tells him. Unfortunately it might never happen because of the backlash of just one 4th down attempt.

And I'd assume that the data would somewhat depend on the strength of a team's units. If anything I would think a team should be more aggressive if they have a good offense, obviously, but ALSO if they have a good defense, since the defense would be more likely to handle the potential bad field position.

Just look at our last loss against the Patriots. I really think the chance of the Broncos picking up that last 4th and 8, which would pretty much have gotten them into field goal range, should have superseded the punt that netted them about 17 yards of field position. ESPECIALLY since the D ended up getting a quick stop, but it still left little time on the clock anyway to go for the win even if that punt didn't go horribly wrong. And if anything that punt would've likely been a touchback or fair catch if the Pats were 17 yards closer to the endzone.

Wow, sorry for that turning into an off-topic rant, but I wouldn't want to start my own thread with my 40-something post count lol. Anyway, it's great to see DRC and JT back at full participation.....
Old 12-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #91
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yeah it looks like his eyelids are frozen shut.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #92
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA-Broncosfan53 View Post
SportinOne,

The pass rush and coverage is the chicken or the egg argument. I will say this. The secondary is not good enough to let our front seven get coverage sacks at present time. So you can blame the pass rush, they were getting close to Smith last week, but Kayvon or Duke would completely blow coverage allowing for easy throws for Smith.

Losing the best cover corner on the edge doesn't have consequences, along with atrocious safety play in the deep half, sans Mike Adams in coverage? We have safeties that have limited skill sets, refused to address it over the past offseason, and without DRC and/or Harris, we are screwed.

I think teams have figured out how to exploit Kayvon (his at KC play was atrocious). His play during the last 2-3 series of the game was inexcusable, and that will show up on film. Duke is lost out there on several plays, his coverage skills need serious work before he lines up in man. He is just looking to hit someone, cheat up in the box versus the run and make a big play. We do not need that from our safeties. Teams attack him, as they should in one-on-one settings.

It is silly to infer the Holiday botched punt is why DRC was injured. Completely unrelated incidents. Does not change anything about my stance on Holiday. Tentative, fumbling machine. I heard on Denver sports radio teams average only 7 yards per punt return. We have PFM. How about we just not turn the ball over and let Peyton do what he gets paid an enormous sum to do?

Once again, if the defensive injuries do not shore themselves up by playoff time, forget about it. Teams will continue exploit Kayvon and Duke and run directly over Unrein (see @KC film, TIME and TIME again).

I'm not saying that DRC isn't a decent player and that his loss doesn't hurt the team. I'm just saying that it's not as big of a deal as I perceive you to be making it out to be. We have problems in the secondary regardless of whether or not he plays. I think losing Vickerson and Wolfe is a much bigger deal.

I'm starting to agree on Holiday. Hasn't done anything but fumble the ball for weeks now. And with him if he doesn't get a touchdown he usually doesn't get anything because I think they are coaching him to just go down or out of bounds to avoid fumbling. Give us a guy that can hang onto the ball, has some speed, and can break some tackles and I think we are much better off.

About our defense and the playoffs, though, i'm not seeing what you are seeing. I can't think of one defense in the AFC that scares me. I can't really think of one offense that scares me. New England can put up points but they are no juggernaut and let's see them be as prolific on the road. It would be nice to have a great defense but i just don't think it needs to be great for us to go to and win the super bowl.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #93
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswutz4dinna View Post

Wow, sorry for that turning into an off-topic rant, but I wouldn't want to start my own thread with my 40-something post count lol. Anyway, it's great to see DRC and JT back at full participation.....
Outstanding post. 100% agree.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #94
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Gutless Drunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #95
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

holiday, first priority catch the punt !
show good judgement.
ball security is more important than yardage. and call your ex coach gary, he can use a hug.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #96
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Holliday is due to take one to the house.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #97
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Gutless Drunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #98
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
John Fox said he will be on the sidelines coaching
If I were him, I'd pull a Prater: walk outside for a minute, say "eff this" and then go up to the warm booth.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #99
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

Holliday will be out this week. I dont think a single "questionable" player has actually ended up active on sunday.
Sly_Eli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #100
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Eli View Post
Holliday will be out this week. I dont think a single "questionable" player has actually ended up active on sunday.
Maybe Woodyard?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote