The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #551
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I only used them to play on the same field as you...my point was that you're making excuses, so can I. That's all.

But in all honestly, I'd rather not and just look at production in the playoffs (then try to explain why it didn't work out in terms of, what could have been different and what could have changed that the Broncos were in control of). You're not in control of your match ups.

I mean sure...maybe in 2003 2004 2005, I might of sat there and said wow **** Manning etc...but now just looking back at now, it's a different story when you see the whole picture.

I know it's easy to say, 1 playoff win and 10 years and shove it down, but that's really what it was and that's the facts...you look at any other team and if it was them, you'd be laughing at them too.
Laughing at the Chiefs maybe. But even by then they'd already gone 10 years without any playoff wins.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #552
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I only used them to play on the same field as you...my point was that you're making excuses, so can I. That's all.

But in all honestly, I'd rather not and just look at production in the playoffs (then try to explain why it didn't work out in terms of, what could have been different and what could have changed that the Broncos were in control of). You're not in control of your match ups.

I mean sure...maybe in 2003 2004 2005, I might of sat there and said wow **** Manning etc...but now just looking back at now, it's a different story when you see the whole picture.

I know it's easy to say, 1 playoff win and 10 years and shove it down, but that's really what it was and that's the facts...you look at any other team and if it was them, you'd be laughing at them too.
...that's the whole point of adding context... looking at what you're not in control of.

Facing the GOAT QB two years in a row, for example.

RGIII's knee flopping around like a windsock for another.

I do think we SHOULD have smashed Pitt and won our 3rd Lombardi, though watching that game makes it clear coaching wasnt the issue. Plays were available all over the field (Champ missing a pick that Ward caught for a big first down, Ferguson getting hit in the facemask by the ball, etc) and players didn't execute.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #553
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
He was in 3 Super Bowls with another HoF caliber head coach and couldn't get over the hump, yet you write off all Mike did (in your own words "excuses for his success") in turning Elway from the "Wrong-way-Elway" punchline who couldn't win the big one and even had Tommy Maddox drafted to potentially supplant him to a back-to-back Superbowl champion who Elway himself said "We would've won a lot more if he were coaching the whole time".

As for only with Kubiak and Turner, that's because they've been arond for the vast majority of his career. As for Turner himself:

Mike Shanahan was the 49ers Offensive Coordinator from 1992-1994

In 1994, the 49ers had the #6 rushing offense in the league.
In 1993, the 49ers had the #3 rushing offense in the league.
In 1992, the 49ers had the #3 rushing offense in the league.

From 1992-1994, Bobby Turner was coaching Purdue.

You're out of your league, son.
Yep, it was Elway, or as you put it Wrong Way Elway, who couldn't get over the "hump" with a HOF caliber coach.

I'll give Shanahan the credit for surrounding Elway with a team, something the other HOF caliber coach didn't do and bringing in Maddox was that coaches downfall for being such an idiot and not recognizing what he had. Most everyone knows that, especially Bronco fans. Gibbs and Turner were greatly responsible for the success of those SB offenses. Too bad Shanahan was never able to do it again.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #554
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Yep, it was Elway, or as you put it Wrong Way Elway, who couldn't get over the "hump" with a HOF caliber coach.
Because that's what I said you dumb b.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #555
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Reading comprehension. Notice the BS at the end? Translation: that's what I thought of your statement.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #556
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Reading comprehension. Notice the BS at the end? Translation: that's what I thought of your statement.
No, reading comprehension is realizing I never called him that, I'm just mentioning it was a stigma and many DID call him that.

It's cool. Literacy, along with football, isn't your thing.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #557
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Name:  793936.gif
Views: 205
Size:  271.4 KB
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #558
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
You do have a problem with women, don't you. Frustrated by your lack of amorous successes?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #559
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
You do have a problem with women, don't you. Frustrated by your lack of amorous successes?
No, I think gunns is scum. Like you.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #560
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Kyle Shanahan went on the record today saying that he didn't know RGIII had been shut down until his father announced it at the press conference. He was preparing like he always did have both QBs ready to go this week against ATL.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #561
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Are people really knocking Shanahan for surrounding himself with talented and successful people? I thought that's what a good leader is supposed to do?

Nobody is knocking him for hiring good coaches like Kubiak or Turner...but keep in mind he's no longer coaching in Denver because he wouldn't get rid of Slowick

Of course his record isn't as good when talent (player and coaching) walks out the door.

Yes having a talented team helps coaches win more games...nobody denies that. But let's look at another former Broncos HC - Dan Reeves

[] He went to the SB with Chris Chandler, who is no where near the talent of John Elway

[] He also went 10-6 with creaky old Craig Morton before Elway

[] He went 11-5 in 1985 and missed out of the playoffs because he finished 3rd in a tough AFC West division, meanwhile had to watch the 8-8 Browns go because they won a weak AFC Central

[] He made the playoffs with a creaky old Phil Simms who is nowhere near the talent of Elway or Steve Young in his first season as Giants coach.

And while every one talks of Mike's success with the Broncos Dan averaged 9.2 wins per season vs. Mike's 9.8...Denver went to 3 SB's in a 4 year span ....Reeves is 92-105-1 (.467%) without Elway as his QB, but he has won more playoff games (4) and made it to more SB's without him than Mike has (1).....but you'll be hard pressed to find anyone like Rev or Beavis and the rest of their cronies give Reeves any credit whatsoever for being a very good to great coach....all we hear is how he either wasted Elway's talents or rode his coat tails.

That doesn't take away what he accomplished as head coach of the Denver Broncos. With great talent and coaching he led the team to 2 Superbowls. He led the team back to the AFC Championship game. He won a lot of games WITHOUT Elway.

Nobody is taking away what he accomplished with the 2 Lombardi trophies, even his harshest critics consider him the Broncos greatest HC all-time, mainly due to those two titles.... however we are making the case that he's gotten an awful lot of mileage off those cobweb covered trophies. BTW he's 123-125-0 including playoffs without Elway (.498%)...and more importantly 0 SB appearances

I do believe that Shanahan the GM is pretty awful. And I do believe that when he was fired, it was the right time. But some of you are acting like he's trash, and he's not. He's the most successful HC we have ever had.

Nobody is calling him trash....but they are calling him a tad over rated. Again, he's gotten alot of miles out of those 2 titles.

Show some appreciation for the man that helped Elway & Company finally win a Superbowl. Show some appreciation for the man who helped the whole area celebrate like they never celebrated before, or since.

Is he perfect? NO. But he is a huge part of our team's history, and a huge part of the most successful part of that history.

I think damn near every Broncos fan shows appreciation for what Mike has accomplished....pointing out his flaws isn't hatred. But then again the same ones in here spinning that tale were also the ones who defended a sub par QB calling any critic a "hater"
In bold
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #562
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
And a 1st rounder on Jarvis Moss
And Marcus Nash....
Old 12-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #563
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:

In Fox and Shanahan's situation, they came to an organization with a HOF QB already there and fully developed.

Fox took over the Broncos in 2011...Manning wasn't on our roster then....just saying
Old 12-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #564
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

okay, I am kind of curious. I see people saying McCown should stay in the game instead of Cutler, but they are b**** slapping Mike for pulling RGIII?
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #565
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #566
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
... Not even close. The harshest critics will usually say he's hus own worst enemy as a GM. His coaching prowess as one of the best is pretty universally accepted.
Universally accepted by people who are prisoners of the past...
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #567
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The best part is that he actually thinks he won this argument.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #568
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
The past... as in last year?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #569
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
The best part is that he actually thinks he won this argument.
He always thinks he wins every argument, because to him winning an argument is simply berating and insulting those that disagree with him. He's child mentally speaking.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #570
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
The past... as in last year?
What's his record in this century? Hmm?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #571
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
He always thinks he wins every argument, because to him winning an argument is simply berating and insulting those that disagree with him. He's child mentally speaking.
Awwwwwww.... More douche bags everyone hates teaming up and making friends because I was mean to them.

You're welcome.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #572
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Awwwwwww.... More douche bags everyone hates teaming up and making friends because I was mean to them.

You're welcome.
Sometimes I almost think you are performing some form of self-parody, but then I remember you are too simple for that.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #573
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Sometimes I almost think you are performing some form of self-parody, but then I remember you are too simple for that.
Fyi, kiddo, most of your posts go ignored by everyone because people, including me, have even gotten sick of making fun of your **** posts.

That's why I'm not engaging with you here... because you're not worth an actual discussion
Old 12-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #574
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Fyi, kiddo, most of your posts go ignored by everyone because people, including me, have even gotten sick of making fun of your **** posts.

That's why I'm not engaging with you here... because you're not worth an actual discussion
Yet you continue to respond. Oh and I wasn't looking for a discussion. I know you aren't capable of those. People either agree with you are you attack them. In case you didn't know that's not what constitutes a discussion.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #575
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Mike Shanahan: Kirk Cousins might yield first-rounder

Quote:
"maybe we can bring a first-round pick (back)" if Cousins shines in Washington's final three games.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote