The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #501
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
He was in 3 Super Bowls with another HoF caliber head coach and couldn't get over the hump, yet you write off all Mike did (in your own words "excuses for his success") in turning Elway from the "Wrong-way-Elway" punchline who couldn't win the big one and even had Tommy Maddox drafted to potentially supplant him to a back-to-back Superbowl champion who Elway himself said "We would've won a lot more if he were coaching the whole time".

As for only with Kubiak and Turner, that's because they've been arond for the vast majority of his career. As for Turner himself:

Mike Shanahan was the 49ers Offensive Coordinator from 1992-1994

In 1994, the 49ers had the #6 rushing offense in the league.
In 1993, the 49ers had the #3 rushing offense in the league.
In 1992, the 49ers had the #3 rushing offense in the league.

From 1992-1994, Bobby Turner was coaching Purdue.

You're out of your league, son.
So we talking about stats from 1992-1994 as an offensive coordinator? I wonder how much the game has changed since then....what does this have to do with Shanahan as a coach NOW?

I thought we already talked about this discussion primarily being about from 2000+? That's a fairly obvious parameter.

Shanahan has been with Kubiak for 9/20 seasons. Stop the bull****.
Action is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #502
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
That's off topic to you? It's addressing each of your "points"...

If you can't even follow your end of the "discussion" then this is even more pointless than it already was heading into it.
So I was talking about MVPlaya, Freak9...right. and somehow you took a whole post about Shanahan and turned it into McDaniels.

Right on topic there.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #503
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I think it's pretty sad that all I see is Shanahan's accomplishments in the 90's

What does any of this have to do with Shanahan as a head coach in the 2000's and especially today, in 2013?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #504
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

And let's look deeper into the numbers:

Starting from 2000, Shanahan has been with Kubiak for 6 years, and without him for 7 (the past 7). I wonder which of those time periods had more success...
Old 12-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #505
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Are people really knocking Shanahan for surrounding himself with talented and successful people? I thought that's what a good leader is supposed to do?

Of course his record isn't as good when talent (player and coaching) walks out the door. That doesn't take away what he accomplished as head coach of the Denver Broncos. With great talent and coaching he led the team to 2 Superbowls. He led the team back to the AFC Championship game. He won a lot of games WITHOUT Elway.

I do believe that Shanahan the GM is pretty awful. And I do believe that when he was fired, it was the right time. But some of you are acting like he's trash, and he's not. He's the most successful HC we have ever had.

Show some appreciation for the man that helped Elway & Company finally win a Superbowl. Show some appreciation for the man who helped the whole area celebrate like they never celebrated before, or since.

Is he perfect? NO. But he is a huge part of our team's history, and a huge part of the most successful part of that history.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #506
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
So I was talking about MVPlaya, Freak9...right. and somehow you took a whole post about Shanahan and turned it into McDaniels.

Right on topic there.
Deflecting away from how many times you've previously been laughed off the board?

Shame on me for getting suckered into this ridiculous discussion
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #507
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Is this what you do? Just constantly get off topic?
Yup, that's what he does. No point arguing with him when he goes full retard like this. The fact that his mindless sycophant minions haven't come rushing to his rescue goes to show how badly he's losing this one. If/when they do he'll probably post all the rep he got while losing this argumet to you.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #508
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Are people really knocking Shanahan for surrounding himself with talented and successful people? I thought that's what a good leader is supposed to do?
I specifically said there is nothing wrong with that...as long as you can prove to find more coaching talent as your career continues.

Quote:
Of course his record isn't as good when talent (player and coaching) walks out the door. That doesn't take away what he accomplished as head coach of the Denver Broncos. With great talent and coaching he led the team to 2 Superbowls. He led the team back to the AFC Championship game. He won a lot of games WITHOUT Elway.

I do believe that Shanahan the GM is pretty awful. And I do believe that when he was fired, it was the right time. But some of you are acting like he's trash, and he's not. He's the most successful HC we have ever had.

Show some appreciation for the man that helped Elway & Company finally win a Superbowl. Show some appreciation for the man who helped the whole area celebrate like they never celebrated before, or since.

Is he perfect? NO. But he is a huge part of our team's history, and a huge part of the most successful part of that history.
This is less about appreciating what Shanahan did for the Broncos organization (2 super bowls) and more about Shanahan being a ****ty Head Coach in 2013 and showing signs of this for the past 10 years +.

He's won a lot of games as a Broncos HC, but only 1 playoff game in his last 10 years as a Broncos HC. No matter who you are are and what you've done, 10 years and 1 playoff win is going to put you up for scrutiny and it is completely unacceptable.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #509
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Deflecting away from how many times you've previously been laughed off the board?

Shame on me for getting suckered into this ridiculous discussion
And there you go again with getting off topic.

Previously laughed on this board? Due to what? My Von Miller thread? How's that looking now?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #510
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
What does Shanny got to lose by benching RG3 anyway? He should have done this months ago...
Maybe that's why Shanny looked so relaxed (to me) in that presser yesterday. He finally got what he wanted . . . .

He met with Snyder and Bruce Allen, and finally got everyone on the same page.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #511
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Out of context? Talking about 90% of his CAREER is out of context?

I'm sure this article is full of **** too.

Mike Shanahan's Brilliant Last Act

It's sad that, you don't realize if Mike's career took a different route with another team you'd be singing the exact same tune as I.

What exactly makes Shanahan one of the best? I can come up for more excuses for his success than you can for his failures.
I really enjoyed reading that. In his final years i Denver, shanny got flack at his pressers too, reporters asking tuff questions. Shanny just never let them ask another question once they did. controlling manipulative self serving weasel, I only hope he gets another job to erase all doubt !
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #512
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Is there any HC in the history of the NFL that has gone a period 10 seasons with winning 1 playoff game and be considered as one of the best? How does this even make sense
Old 12-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #513
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

John Madden: Shutting RG3 down affects the integrity of the game

Madden said he fundamentally disagrees with Shanahanís view that keeping Griffin healthy for the offseason is more important than playing him in the final three games of the regular season.

ďI mean, you know itís baloney,Ē Madden said. ďI like Mike Shanahan, and Iím not talking behind his back, but when you say something like that, you know thatís not right ó youíre not going to sacrifice regular season games. Thereís only 16 of them a year. Youíre not going to sacrifice regular season games for an offseason program.Ē
Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #514
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Guys get benched at the end of the season all the time. Often to evaluate the talent behind them.

The reason Shanahan gave is BS, but how is he doing it ruining the "integrity of the game" when coaches do it all the time?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #515
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Former Shanahan quarterbacks pile on

ďItís not a fun situation and I feel for RG3 ó a great kid, a really, really great football player Ė heíll bounce back, get healthy and persevere through this,Ē Jake Plummer told Jim Corbett of USA Today. ďI see great things in his future. But I think itís going to be with a new coach. . . .

ďI donít think there will be a Shanahan future there. I think there will be a different head coach for this franchise quarterback who had a great year last year, and the knee injury played into this because I have not seen another quarterback this exciting, maybe other than Randall Cunningham.Ē

Plummer acknowledges he didnít have that same talent level, and he apparently believes that guys who canít play at the level Shanahan demands are destined for trouble.

ďI just know from my experience sometimes Shanahan would ask too much of me,Ē Plummer said. ďI was pretty good. But I was no Peyton Manning. I had to fight every day.

ďA similar situation happened with me, and it happened with Donovan McNabb because we had our own styles, and it didnít mesh with what Mike wanted. What I see happening there isnít the same, but it is similar.Ē

ďThis is about Mike Shanahan,Ē McNabb said on his NBC Sports Radio show, via the Washington Post. ďMike and Kyle Shanahan trying to show why they feel like Kirk Cousins gives them the best chance of winning. So many things have leaked out, and Iíve always kept my ear on things that are happening with the Washington Redskins, teams that Iíve played with. And when you hear reporters that I know are linked to Mike Shanahan talk about [RGIIIís] preparation, you talk about heís missing some reads, you know, heís not reading some things. And I knew that he was big on having Kirk Cousins to get out there and run the offense.Ē

McNabb can relate, because he ended up being treated the same way in his only season as the teamís starter.

ďIím used to this whole deal because, listen, I was benched for Rex Grossman,Ē McNabb said. ďAnd [Shanahan] came out and said [Grossman] gave the team the best chance of winning. Well, Rex Grossman finished the season 1-2 or 1-3. I mean, that didnít help nothing. And so, the whole thing about it is, sometimes you have to look in the mirror and look at yourself. Stop looking at everybody else. I donít think that he and Kyle Shanahan can do that.Ē

Quote:
His coaching prowess as one of the best is pretty universally accepted.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #516
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:

Not a single person has ever questioned what Shanahan did for the Broncos in the late 90's. It simply isn't part of the discussion. No Bronco fan doesn't appreciate those years. Honestly his ability as an offensive game planner should be beyond reproach as well.

What is up for discussion is how things changed over time. Every successful coach has at some point realized that his message/tactics/style simply isn't effective anymore, if he doesn't realize it, someone else does and gets rid of them. Shanahan isn't the same guy, and hasn't been for about 10 years, that he was in the late 90's early 2000's. He's built terrible habits and keeps repeating the same mistakes. That doesn't taint any great thing he has done before. You can't be great forever.... the greatest coaches in history fizzled at the end of their careers. It's the way of football.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #517
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

McNabb is an idiot and was awful at Washington. Rex Grossman is still on the team and McNabb is butthurt.

Should Shanahan have stuck with a lost and ineffective McNabb? Maybe he should have been more considerate of McNabb's feelings?

You know, when you remove the most succesful seasons out of any coach's career, of course they look bad.

Shanahan still led the team to the 2005 AFC Championship game, and the Broncos were regular participants in the playoffs in the mid 2000's.

Like I said, his time here was up, it was time to go, but the team still had some success under Shanahan after Elway.

Last edited by Powderaddict; 12-12-2013 at 09:28 AM..
Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #518
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Not a single person has ever questioned what Shanahan did for the Broncos in the late 90's. It simply isn't part of the discussion. No Bronco fan doesn't appreciate those years. Honestly his ability as an offensive game planner should be beyond reproach as well.

What is up for discussion is how things changed over time. Every successful coach has at some point realized that his message/tactics/style simply isn't effective anymore, if he doesn't realize it, someone else does and gets rid of them. Shanahan isn't the same guy, and hasn't been for about 10 years, that he was in the late 90's early 2000's. He's built terrible habits and keeps repeating the same mistakes. That doesn't taint any great thing he has done before. You can't be great forever.... the greatest coaches in history fizzled at the end of their careers. It's the way of football.
so does this put him in the likes of the same genes as Al Davis and Jerry Jones? I mean you know they won Super Bowls too.

Probably shouldn't go there though...
Old 12-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #519
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I asked this earlier and no one answered it.

If you are Daniel Diaper Snyder, would you sign Shanahan to an extension? Is he your coach?

or

You own a football team, would you sign Shanahan?
If I was Snyder I'd have a hard time extending him right now. If Shanny can demonstrate leadership and get everyone in the organization working together to end the season, and have a great plan for FA, I'd lean toward keeping him for the final year of the contract and look at extending him during the season. As Samuel L. Jackson said, "That better be one charming mother****ing pig."

We don't know what Bruce Allen is saying to Snyder right now, maybe he's telling Snyder he can do a better job running the organization and can find an HC that can do a better job with the team.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #520
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
McNabb is an idiot and was awful at Washington. Rex Grossman is still on the team and McNabb is butthurt.

Should Shanahan have stuck with a lost and ineffective McNabb? Maybe he should have been more considerate of McNabb's feelings?
While I do agree that McNabb is an idiot and he was awful at Washington...he completely fell off once he came to Washington...just look at his prior season. Something obviously didn't mesh between him and Shanny, and there went his career.

Quote:
You know, when you remove the most succesful seasons out of any coach's career, of course they look bad.
Yeah, but I'm removing 2, which is 10% of his career. You remove 10% of any great coaches career it shouldn't consist of 1 playoff win.

Quote:
Shanahan still led the team to the 2005 AFC Championship game, and the Broncos were regular participants in the playoffs in the mid 2000's.

Like I said, his time here was up, it was time to go, but the team still had some success under Shanahan after Elway.
I don't know about you, but simply making the playoffs is not a success... 1 playoff win ...especially over a 10 year period...you talk to John Elway right now and ask him if he think the 10 year stretch after him was successful and acceptable by any means.

What do you think he would say?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #521
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
And there you go again with getting off topic.

Previously laughed on this board? Due to what? My Von Miller thread? How's that looking now?
What Von Miller thread? Don't know what you're talking about, please share with the class.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #522
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Everyone knows McNabb and Plummer have axes to grind and that's why they're rushing at the opportunity to take shots at the guy for ANY reason. It's like how TonyR follows me around like a puppy when he's not just linking/quoting ****ty sources.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #523
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
What Von Miller thread? Don't know what you're talking about, please share with the class.
I'll bump that at seasons end as I said I would. (maybe if during SB week if we make it that far)

Enough with Shanahan....I'll glady change my views and opinions and eat crow if anything changes with him in the future.

Gotta have more than 1 successful season...

Last edited by Action; 12-12-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Old 12-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #524
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I'll bump that at seasons end as I said I would.

Enough with Shanahan....I'll glady change my views and opinions and eat crow if anything changes with him in the future. That will require him to stop being a GM and to have as little input as possible in defense...
I'm sick of the same endless conversation as well.

Rep link/PM me the other thread? I won't bump it, just curious what you're talking about now.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #525
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:

I totatly agree but letís not forget the genius of Mike Shanahan when he used a 3rd round pick (#101 overall) in 2005 for Maurice Clarett.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote