The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #126
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
WE DON"T KNOW IF CHAMP CAN PLAY GREAT ANYMORE! HE HAS BEEN INJURED!!! Champ doesn't know. The coaches don't know. We don't know.
sounds like Schrodinger's cat -

errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #127
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

all I know is that this thread will be fun to bump when Champ makes a big play in the playoffs
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #128
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
all I know is that this thread will be fun to bump when Champ makes a big play in the playoffs
Those who think he's done will do so if he gets torched.

either way it's gonna get bumped
Old 12-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #129
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Dumbest thing about this thread is it's based on nothing. He got hurt. He hasn't been "exposed" in any sense. He just hasn't been playing. Happens to every player in the league sooner or later.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #130
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
It seems like you don't want to talk about Champ, you just want an excuse to talk about the Seahawks.
It's not my fault if the premiere corner AND safety in the NFL both happen to be Seahawks (with, BTW, an average age of 24.5 years between them).
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #131
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
It's not my fault if the premiere corner AND safety in the NFL both happen to be Seahawks (with, BTW, an average age of 24.5 years between them).
So when either one of them gets hurt and doesn't play, will they be washed up too?
Old 12-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #132
TD4HOF
Perennial Pro-bowler

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bowlen’s Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
You have it backwards. He has great ball skills and instincts, but his age makes it more difficult for him to cover.

Also, not saying he's done, just that it's harder for him to stick on people like he used to. Which I think he can make up for with his incredible instincts and intelligence.
Oh ok, 'cuz I thought ball skills referred mostly to interceptions and his picks are way down in recent years. He seemed to struggle covering Torrey Smith in the game that shall not be mentioned.

Thanks for the clarification.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #133
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I'm still missing what either has to do with Bailey?

Or the Broncos
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #134
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
As the starter of this thread, I never said that Bailey isn't one of the greatest Bronco defenders of all time. And I never said that he was living off his reputation.

But I did say that his body is breaking down (which it is, and not just this year but for part of last year as well).

And I did say that Champ is a shadow of his former self (which is also true). If you think "Shut-Down Corner", who is the first guy you think of TODAY? That's easy: 25-year-old Richard Sherman, not 35-year-old Champ Bailey.

For years and years, Champ held that title. But not anymore. And, I'm sad to say, he'll never hold that coveted title again, either.

If Champ hangs around for another year, he needs to convert to a safety, and use his innate football skills to make up for his age. But even if he does, there's no guarantee that he won't miss half the season with a bum ankle. And he'll still be no 24-year-old Earl Thomas, either.

"Rust never sleeps..."
so because he is no longer THE BEST PLAYER IN THE NFL AT HIS POSITION, he should retire? really? that's your idiotic argument?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #135
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
So when either one of them gets hurt and doesn't play, will they be washed up too?
Depends if they're 35 or 26......and what the injury is.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #136
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
It seems like you don't want to talk about Champ, you just want an excuse to talk about the Seahawks.
**** the SeaChickens
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #137
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

It looked to me like KC was trying to pick on Champ, but Champ had good coverage. The passes KC completed were well contested by Champ. That was in the slot. Once Champ was put at LCB, he got toasted, and that was the end of his day.

Champ will get another chance, we'll see how he does. You want to get him in the lineup, but . . . . . . . .
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #138
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Depends if they're 35 or 26......and what the injury is.
This argument sounds vaguely familiar.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #139
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
It looked to me like KC was trying to pick on Champ, but Champ had good coverage. The passes KC completed were well contested by Champ. That was in the slot. Once Champ was put at LCB, he got toasted, and that was the end of his day.

Champ will get another chance, we'll see how he does. You want to get him in the lineup, but . . . . . . . .
I don't think he did. He gave up a 12 yard pass on 3rd and 14. I think that is about it.

Also, he did give up a couple of catches on slants, but I watched him pretty closely and I don't think he was playing slot. I think Harris was the whole game and he was Left CB while he played.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #140
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

So basically what so many are saying is that because Champ is no longer the top dog at his position he is done. So many are forgetting that at his best, Champ was head and shoulders above everyone else in the league. That type of talent doesn't just go away. He may have lost a step or 2, but that just makes him an above average DB. Let the guy get his legs back under him and rebuild some confidence that has been gashed from injury and relax.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #141
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Only if they eat a large part of the cap, spend huge amounts of time on the sidelines and get burnt in huge games where they are depended upon.
Broncojef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #142
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
So when either one of them [Richard Sherman & Earl Thomas] gets hurt and doesn't play, will they be washed up too?
It's impossible to weigh in on this question because Richard Sherman started all 16 games last year and he's started all 12 games this season.

And Earl Thomas? Well, he's only started every single freaking game for the last 4 seasons (60 games, 60 starts).

http://www.nfl.com/player/earlthomas/2508080/profile

Bailey had similar numbers at the start of his career. But this year, he's only started in 3 games.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #143
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
This season of Richard Sherman's, it's reminding me of Champ Bailey's 2005 ... the rare defensive game-changer on a potentially great team. Unlike Champ or Earl Thomas though, Sherman was a late-late 5th round pick.

But let's not start plucking each other's chicks just yet, northwesterly neighbor. What about the cornerback starting opposite Sherman (starting until last week that is)? Brandon-freaking-Browner, maybe the dumbest guy in the league (in the league til this week that is). Actually I think the Browner situation deserves its own thread ... but for now, know this: Just because he IS a character doesn't mean he HAS character.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #144
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
As the starter of this thread, I never said that Bailey isn't one of the greatest Bronco defenders of all time. And I never said that he was living off his reputation.

But I did say that his body is breaking down (which it is, and not just this year but for part of last year as well).

And I did say that Champ is a shadow of his former self (which is also true). If you think "Shut-Down Corner", who is the first guy you think of TODAY? That's easy: 25-year-old Richard Sherman, not 35-year-old Champ Bailey.

For years and years, Champ held that title. But not anymore. And, I'm sad to say, he'll never hold that coveted title again, either.

If Champ hangs around for another year, he needs to convert to a safety, and use his innate football skills to make up for his age. But even if he does, there's no guarantee that he won't miss half the season with a bum ankle. And he'll still be no 24-year-old Earl Thomas, either.

"Rust never sleeps..."
Champ Bailey will be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame one day. Richard Sherman? Earl Thomas? Maybe they'll make it; maybe they won't. Sherman's hype is no different than we used to hear about Nnamdi Asomugha. Where's that so-called-better-than-Champ "shutdown corner" now? Is he even still in the NFL? He hasn't been relevant for years.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #145
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Where I live, Seachickens fans are getting to be almost as annoying as the "9-and-0-Chefs" fans were 3 weeks ago... they'll expound at length on how they're "gonna" beat the Broncos, but have no detailed explanation regarding which defender (or defensive scheme) will stop DT, Decker, Welker, Orange Julius, and Knowshon. They don't wanna hear that a search of the top touchdown-scorers will include 5 Broncos with 7 or more -- and only one Seahawk (Marshawn Lynch with 11 -- do Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Golden Tate and Zach Miller -- tied for Chicken 2nd place with 4 apiece -- count? ). Yet, they're SO gonna kick our butt in the SB. A team with 47 touchdowns from their top 5 scorers surely must fear one with 27.

"I" think the Seahawks -- and their fans -- should concentrate on winning their division (they have a huge division game vs the 9ers this week) and making it to the Super Bowl instead of "counting their chickens before they're hatched" and making assumptions. There's a lot of football yet to be played (a fourth of the season).

Go Broncos!
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #146
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Only if they eat a large part of the cap, spend huge amounts of time on the sidelines and get burnt in huge games where they are depended upon.
PMFM missed an entire 16 game season at roughly the same age while making more money than any player in the league. Guess he was washed up?

Players get hurt. Even well paid ones. Says next to nothing about their future prospects.

And Champ had one game where he gave up two big plays. Only one of which was because he was out of position. If you're going to start firing corners every time that happens, you'll have to turn over the whole group every year.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #147
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
PMFM missed an entire 16 game season at roughly the same age while making more money than any player in the league. Guess he was washed up?

Players get hurt. Even well paid ones. Says next to nothing about their future prospects.

And Champ had one game where he gave up two big plays. Only one of which was because he was out of position. If you're going to start firing corners every time that happens, you'll have to turn over the whole group every year.
Yeah, he got burnt once in one game and then had another play with perfect coverage but a perfectly thrown ball and a sneaky push-off. Flacco and Smith complete that once out of 1000 times with that coverage. Should Champ have retired after getting repeatedly burnt by Chad Johnson (by far worse than the Ravens game). Or was he right to come back and put up maybe the best season in NFL history?

Champ last year was better than DRC this year. Unless his foot injury has traveled to his brain he's still our best corner when healthy.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #148
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

IF.... champ plays, he will be targeted!
he now wears the bulls-eyein our secondary !
if he has a 1 on 1 assignment they will beat him deep!
HE, champ knows that so he will give ground and allow lots of short completions and a few first downs early.
on a 3rd and 6 he will try to jump a short route and get beat deep! he will most likely fall down or come up lame when this happens.
this is my prediction, champ will have an injury and not finish the game. that is IF.... he plays.
champ is no longer a 1 on 1 corner. he cant hide behind his reputation any more,
he has been exposed.
He could be a very effective free safety, but everyone BUT champ seems to know that.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #149
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

yawn
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #150
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

How many foties does Champ have to drink, er I mean run, before he's allowed back on the field?