The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I definitely identify with the tweet that said they hate people who complain about announcers and they found Collinsworth unbearable. It was like he was the Chiefs dad and he was trying to cheer them up. They never lead at any point in the game and Denver just pulled away until they were up 17 points. They were never in it.
My Uncle called me up complaining about Collinsworth and the game. This is an old Colorado Rancher who doesn't complain about ANYTHING. A real Cowboy who's going to laugh off getting his leg cut wide open with a 'just give a stapler and duct tape'.

Collinsworth touched a nerve with all the Bronco fans i know.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #27
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I definitely identify with the tweet that said they hate people who complain about announcers and they found Collinsworth unbearable. It was like he was the Chiefs dad and he was trying to cheer them up. They never lead at any point in the game and Denver just pulled away until they were up 17 points. They were never in it.
Agreed. I generally don't care too much (or notice) an announcer's bias, but it seemed like he was directed to specifically prop the chiefs. For better or worse, watching the Broncos is an emotional experience, so I get why its frustrating to hear an announcer fellate the other team when you have no method of responding. It's no sillier than getting frustrated with KCStud.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
Well, I've been a sports writer for seven years, so maybe I can give a little insight on this. It is very possible that the writer requested an interview with Collinsworth, but was denied or given the runaround. That happens a lot, and when deadlines are involved, a writer still has to make it happen. This is a time sensitive story. Seeing that the game just happened a few nights ago, this story can't wait several days. It's a story now, not next week.

The writer conveyed the message, and he had a credible source to back up the point, and he showed what people were saying to back up that point. What more, in a short time frame, is a guy supposed to do?
Not just quote a bunch of tweets?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #29
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Why does this bother you so much. I too am or should I say WAS a Collinsworth fan. But his **** has pissed us Broncos fans off. Does it really matter? No But Collinsworth deserves all the negative feedback he gets for his bias.
Eh, just struck me when I read it.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #30
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Agreed. I generally don't care too much (or notice) an announcer's bias, but it seemed like he was directed to specifically prop the chiefs. For better or worse, watching the Broncos is an emotional experience, so I get why its frustrating to hear an announcer fellate the other team when you have no method of responding. It's no sillier than getting frustrated with KCStud.
I noticed it just because it was a bit out of character for him in the Chiefs game, and I'm sure because we had no doubt winning for the whole game and thus he was trying to keep the national audience's attention. I really didn't have any problems with him for either the Pats or Ravens game (I don't ask for perfection, so if he blows/biases a few calls, whatever).
Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #31
BroncoFox
Unofficial Cheer******

If I have fleas.. they are happy.

He drove me nuts over two weeks. I've never noticed him to be anti-Bronco before, but I couldn't understand why he was lavishing praise on the Chiefs.. and then the Patriots. Including before the game. I was seething at him by the end of the game. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but he drove me crazy.
BroncoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #32
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

It's an aggravating thing, listening to Collinsworth. He has his moments, but as far as color guys go he is not the worst one.

Last few weeks though...not one of his better efforts. And the KC game was worse then the Pats one.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #33
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

He has never been good at commentary and has never liked Denver. Sorry to burst your bubbles.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #34
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Ha Ha if Collinsworth annoys you you should have been around in the days of Howard Cosell. Talk about annoying!
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #35
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

He was overtly pro-Kansas City, but they were under-hyped - then - despite being undefeated and having the best defense in the league, numbers-wise. And like Khan said, chefs were never in it. Color guys' job is to spell out scenarios that make the games closer.

Seemed to me he was pretty gushy about Manning.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #36
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
That article is everything I hate about "journalism." The best thing I can say about it, is that it's completely lazy, phoned-in article. The only game quote from Collinsworth (aka - the entire premise of the 'article') comes not from the the author, but from a quote from MHR's Kyle Montgomery. All the rest is fluff.

So what does our intrepid reporter do? Go through the last 2 games and analyze them? Compare the last 2 games to the opener where no Bronco fans I know complained about Collinsworth? Even take the step of comparing the coverage to last year's SNF games? Provide commentary and quotes noting the time and game information?

That might take time and effort, something approaching a thing people might call 'work' or, you know, his fricking job. Can't do that! I'll just pull some twitter comments from random idiots and call it a day. Journalism!

I would be ashamed to have my name appear on that byline. I would be ashamed if I was an editor that let it through.

PS. And I'm a fan of Collinsworth as the best color guy in the game today, which is why my rant has little to do with the man himself.
I have a feeling that you've never had to write articles under deadline before in the Internet age. These guys are put under a tremendous amount of pressure to pump out content. Not every piece is going to be hard hitting journalism.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #37
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

Almost as bad as getting stuck with Randy Cross 3/4ths the year.

God I hate that guy...
Rausch 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #38
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I have a feeling that you've never had to write articles under deadline before in the Internet age. These guys are put under a tremendous amount of pressure to pump out content. Not every piece is going to be hard hitting journalism.
No, but frankly, I think most people can do better than the 'Top 10 quotes about this that I found on a twitter hashtag" garbage.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #39
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He was quick to point out Denver's penalties and cried if we didn't get one. I specifically remember one of our pass rushers blatantly tackled while rushing and not a peep. This article is trash TRASH
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #40
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Not just quote a bunch of tweets?
Well he got quotes from the manager of a website who can lend insight to the story. If this were a feature article, then I would agree with you. But I wouldn't consider this a feature. It's something that needs a fast turnaround. I don't have any issue with what the writer did to get this story done. I find it more confusing on why so many people are getting caught up with an announcer.

I did a google search on chief planet and Collinsworth, and they think he hates them too. I bet a lot of fans think that. Maybe people just don't like hearing negative things about their team, or the announcer having something positive to say about the opponent.

Really thinking about it, I can't really remember anytime here on the OM where somebody had something good to say about an announcer. It's kind of weird.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #41
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Until 2 weeks ago, I didn't feel the urge to hit the "mute" button on Cris Collinsworth. Randy Cross? Most definitely. Phil Simms? Yup. Dan Fouts? Uh-huh. Dan Dierdorf? *nods*.

When a team is down by 3 scores in the 4th quarter, no drive that ends in a punt can -- with any credibility -- be characterized as a "good drive". And an announcer who makes that assertion is going to lose a lot of credibility. No points + crucial time taken off the clock will always = FAIL.

Now, I'm not gonna go on twitter to trash Collinsworth -- but my opinion of him as a professional sports announcer is diminished.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #42
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Collinsworth really took it to me when he said "Well you know Peyton has an injured ankle? So why not? I mean take a shot at it!"

**** that scumbag piece of ****.

Oh he also threw in a "Well we all knew the Patriots were going to come back..."
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #43
Bronco Bob
Tastee Freeze

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Collinsworth got so bad with his pro-Patriots bias that there were times during the game where I just muted the sound so I wouldn't have to listen to him.
Bronco Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #44
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I was watching the Chiefs/Chargers game, and I really liked how Simms was breaking down the plays. He was pointing out stuff that I didn't know, stuff that a person who played on that level would know, but the general public wouldn't have.

Another point, it seems like fans want the announcer to say nice things about their team. I don't think that's the announcers job. I've never gotten the sense that any of these announcers go out of their way to say bad things about the Broncos. I've never gotten the feeling that any of these announcers went out of their way to say good things about the Broncos.

I wouldn't be surprised if fans from other teams were saying the same exact thing.
Yeah, honestly Simms and Colinsworth might be my favorite broadcasters. Maybe the fact that I like their insight in non-Bronco games makes me miss this bias that Bronco fans complain about. But even in our games I like when we have Simms or Colinsworth. To me it seemed like Colinsworth was talking up the Chiefs out of sympathy or to make the game seem interesting when it wasn't. And Simms is always pointing things out that help the average fan learn more about the game.

Deirdorf on the other hand, is an idiot. In fact if you type Dan Dierdorf on Google the 2nd or 3rd auto-fill is "Dan Dierdorf is an idiot," lol. And Gus Johnson is kind of a joke but also one of my favorites. As the Red Zone guy says, when he is announcing the game is never over. Bronco fans of all people should know this and love him for the Stokely and the Elam. "HOLY TOLEDO!!"
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #45
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Pencil neck has a nasal whine that grates after a few minutes. He spends half the game fretting about scenarious and possibilities that never happen, or are unlikely to happen. A turnover in the first quarter means the team is doomed and will be blown out. And if he has to pluck every obscure statistical category to prove his 'point', he will.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #46
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

This whole thing is hilarious. Collinsworth has been anti-Broncos forever. Yet suddenly people notice. Seriously, it's like half the human race are vegetables.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #47
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch 2.0 View Post
Almost as bad as getting stuck with Randy Cross 3/4ths the year.

God I hate that guy...
Yeah Cross is a douche. I don't mind most color analysts and I can't stand him.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote