The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Bronco Yoda

Default Chiefs Defense exposed?

The Chiefs are built upon on their pass rush, but they haven't recorded a single quarterback hit or sack in their last two games. They only have one sack in their last three games. Kansas City's defense was good for the first six games of the season. (But of course none of those teams have a winning record.) Since then it's been merely avg. to good.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

They just regressed to the mean. Still a good D, just not AMAZING
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Not really exposed, it's just teams are figuring out you can't sit back in the pocket for as long as some of KC's earlier opponents were. They're still a very good defense, but no where near the elite level they would need to be to win a Championship
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
yerner
Ring of Famer

I thought they were really tough actually. It's going to be a very tough defense to play in KC. I'm not sure how that game goes for the Broncos.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
That's what I call EXPOSED. The way the talking heads have been playing up this feasting-on-only-losing-teams-&-backup-QBS Defense, you would think we're all witnessing the second coming of the Ravens championship D or something.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
That's what I call EXPOSED. The way the talking heads have been playing up this feasting-on-only-losing-teams-&-backup-QBS Defense, you would think we're all witnessing the second coming of the Ravens championship D or something.
I dunno, when i think of the word "exposed," i think along the lines of figuring out a fatal flaw. I just think they did really well against some bad teams and that created inflated numbers within a small sample size.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Their pass rush and run defense are an issue. They allowed some big runs and haven't had many sacks. That said, they tackle well and play fast. They don't blow assignments. They're a good defense that had to play the number one offense in the NFL.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Exposed only applies to the Broncos.

When we lose, it's either we were exposed, or a team has a blueprint for others to follow. We're solved once we lose a game.

According to Cris Collinsworth, the great 9-0 Chiefs, with their greatest of all time defense, all universe RB, and an offense that was able to scrape together two touchdowns, may have lost (if only for a few plays!), but they all deserve a ribbon for only losing by 10 points. As was pointed out on the telecast last night, he can't wait for the rematch where the Broncos have all the adverse conditions.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

A QB that gets the ball out in 2.5 seconds will expose a defense.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
The Chiefs are built upon on their pass rush, but they haven't recorded a single quarterback hit or sack in their last two games. They only have one sack in their last three games. Kansas City's defense was good for the first six games of the season. (But of course none of those teams have a winning record.) Since then it's been merely avg. to good.
It has been 3 games since Hali or Houston have had a sack and even longer since Poe has had one, 6 or 7 I think.

I love how idiots like the broadcasters (and kFcDud) take the low hanging fruit and point out our 500+ and 48 points given up vs Dallas but they do not account for all the starters on D who did not start that game and all the others who went down for long stretches.

It was Denver's D that looked better last night, I love watching the highlights and seeing Thomas run for 70 as well as Decker and Welker juking the secondary out of their jocks for additional yards.

Manning should have also had another passing TD when he missed Decker who was wide open.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

We played pretty conservatively this game, which made since with the injury and such. We could've put more on them if we really needed to.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Bronco Yoda

Absolutely! That goal line stand (Broncos) was a thing of beauty! Against a top RB with with multiple chances no less. Funny but I'm seeing no love in the national media for them either.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
We played pretty conservatively this game, which made since with the injury and such. We could've put more on them if we really needed to.
Yep

Running on early downs, with success some times, kept Hali and Houston looking run 1st and stuck at the LOS. Clark and Franklin did have good games. I hope Franklin is back to 100% from his ankle sprain.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well maybe it is to the delusional Queef fans that actually think that this years Defense is as good as the 2000 Ravens.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

It's exactly what some of us have been saying, all along. A backup quarterback would get that "deer in the headlights" look. A backup quarterback wouldn't have his decision-making honed just right. A backup quarterback would accept whatever protection he is given.

That's not Peyton Manning. Manning has seen probably every defensive formation in football, knows how to release the ball quckly, and can call his own protection...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think buffalo exposed their pass rush. Bills Oline was giving up plenty of sacks. Chiefs come in and Tuel is sacked zero times.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I think we can only accurately answer this question in two more weeks. But after watching them struggle against the Browns and Bills, I felt their luck would run out sooner or later.

They are a good defense, that can play great at times. However, they have had some things bounce their way so far this season, and haven't shown that they can dig themselves out of a hole. I thought the commentators said last night it was the first time they had been behind 10 points all year. They just weren't able to buckle down when the game was on the line. I guess those comments reflect the Offense and Defense, but the point was made (ad nauseum) that they would probably get a defensive score against us.

That being said, I love that we have some meaningful division games this year. I appreciate a strong Chiefs team and think it only makes us better. Glad we get to face this defense a couple times this year (as long as we protect Manning).
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Last week I wrote "However, the Chiefs’ heaviest strength thus far has been their pass rush… a pass rush that is rapidly slowing as opposing teams gain larger sample sizes of their blitz schemes."

So I absolutely agree. KC is about to fall apart.

12-4 is their ceiling, imo.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Last week I wrote "However, the Chiefs’ heaviest strength thus far has been their pass rush… a pass rush that is rapidly slowing as opposing teams gain larger sample sizes of their blitz schemes."

So I absolutely agree. KC is about to fall apart.

12-4 is their ceiling, imo.
KC's remaining

San Diego: In KC? Man I hope so, but for me? W
Denver: L
@Washington: lol W
@Oakland: W
Indianapolis: Indie has the division locked and no hope for a bye. Resting. W
@San Diego: SD done. Out of it. Scheduling vaca. W

This looms as possible for me.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
ROYC75
Here to moderate da donks

I'm too tired to post many of my thoughts so I borrowed this from a CP poster, pretty much just about everything I feel about last night.

You'll get your usual missed calls by the refs both ways, at times they can either burn your offense or the defense. At times they can be crucial in the scores, it's all part of the game .... it's a wash, I do not ever lay the blame on the refs! It's a team sport, win as a team and lose as a team.

But here is this guys comments..... either enjoy, agree, or just ignore them.

10. You didn't expect them to go undefeated, did you? Yesterday's game day routine was different, because of the Sunday Night game. I got up, cleaned up the garage, tried to rake leaves, but the prevailing 40 mph wind gusts kept blowing the neighbor's leaves into my yard, and blew my Chiefs flag right off the flagpole. That was not a good sign. Neither was Peeholi showing up on the NBC pre-game show. Asking Peeholi for insight into the 2013 Chiefs is like asking Ike Turner how to stop domestic violence. I was pretty much Peyton'ed out by NBC, so I turned on Lenny and Mitch, and of course, drank every time Lenny said "penetration." That certainly took the edge off.

9. Nothing like coming out and playing with your nut sack in your throat. Brandon Albert, who is allegedly our most gifted and experienced lineman, jumps offside on the very first play. He continually leaves his man upright the entire game, and gives up multiple batted balls at the line of scrimmage. Sad thing is, he had the best game on the entire front line. Denver's defensive front won the match up, hands down. They had three sacks and multiple batted balls. Mister first pick Fisher remains a maddening enigma. He held Von Miller in check, but then lost to everyone else who lined up on him. He got torched especially bad by Wolfe, giving up a crucial 16-yard sack to knock KC out of field goal range. Phillips beat every KC lineman he lined up against. By far, KC's offensive line was the weak link in the match up. Our offensive line play has gotten worse over the past three weeks, and that is worrisome. If there is a silver lining, it seems as if when they brought in Schwartz and Stephenson in the fourth quarter, they didn't play any worse than the guys they replaced. They may be better players anyway.

8. Receivers also came out with their nuts in their throat. Avery drops a big ball early. Charles drops one that was a perfectly set up screen. Bowe was targeted fourteen times and only caught four. Charles was targeted eight times, and catches two for a yardage total of negative six yards. Our receivers are poor at getting separation. On the quick slants they are never open. The tight ends tend to do a little better, when Alex Smith doesn't overthrow them. Even the final TD Smith threw was overthrown. He was lucky that Fasano came down in bounds on his hip, or we lose by 17 instead of 10.

7. Alex Smith is looking more Cassel-like week by week. The difference between the two QBs is, Smith can run out of trouble, and Smith doesn't fumble or throw picks. Otherwise, they're basically the same guy. Smith's alleged accuracy is not evident. He tends to overthrow, which means he's having to get rid of the ball fast, and is not stepping into the throw. Very seldom does he have a clean pocket with no pressure, and when he does, his receivers can't separate. Bottom line is, KC lacks skill position players that can be game changers. When Dexter McMidget is your leading receiver, that's a problem.

6. If you want to look through rose colored glasses, Smith threw twice as many TD's as Manning. Manning threw for 100 more yards, but 70 of that was when Cooper got torched by Thomas. The main difference was, Manning was rarely under pressure to unload, where Smith was constantly under pressure to unload. Smith took a couple of sacks that were unnecessary. Usually he's good at unloading the ball and avoiding sacks, but he ate a couple that were on him.

5. Peyton Manning is basically the 2013 version of John Elway. All those years we matched up against Horse Face, the prevailing wisdom was, if you settle for field goals against Elway, you will lose. Same is true with Manning. When you are first and goal from the two, and end up settling for a field goal, you are going to lose. And, if you have first and goal from the two, and can't punch it in, you DESERVE to lose. There's some second guessing we can do with some of Andy's decisions as well. Why not kick off to Denver to start the game? That way, you put the defense on the field, let them establish themselves and deny Manning an additional possession in the second half, when he seems to hit his stride? Why are you punting when down two scores in the fourth quarter with the clock under ten minutes? Why are you only giving Charles 16 carries when he clearly isn't getting it done in the passing game? The challenge on Fasano's TD was a good decision. Reid seems to be wise in his challenge choices.

4. Hali and Poe should be ashamed of themselves. They were owned. Period. Poe was better on run support, but both guys only had three tackles each and put no real pressure on Manning all night long. Houston led the team in tackles, so he was active, and got some pressure on Manning a couple times. But zero sacks will not get it done against an elite QB. More worrisome, KC now has had only one sack in their last three games. Pressure on the QB is a huge part of the winning formula to this point, and if that is taken away by opposing offenses, we can expect more losses.

3. The fumble trade off was unfortunate. The sad thing was, at the point in the game where Denver fumbled, if KC can sustain a drive, they're right back into the thick of the game. I don't really fault Sherman for fumbling. He got blasted hard twice on that play, held the ball on the first blast then lost it on the second blast. We shouldn't be reduced to having to throw passes to the fullback to move the ball anyway. If our wide receivers were more reliable, we wouldn't have to use Sherman in that fashion. Right after that play, Manning hits on one of the few long passes of the night, suckering a rookie (Cooper) and flipping the field. Then we're down by two possessions, which was the case for most of the evening. I guess the silver lining is, Cooper played pretty well after that, until he allowed Decker to get a big first down by the nose hair of the football -icing the game in the fourth quarter.

2. Vegas had Denver as an eight point favorite, and we lost by ten. If Denver doesn't miss a field goal because of a low snap, they hang thirty on us. This game was never close, and Denver controlled the game from the very beginning. All in all, except for lack of pass rush, the defense didn't play that bad. Giving up 27 in Denver is not bad. Denver averaged less than three yards per rushing play, and that's good run defense. Starting the second half, the defense got three straight three and outs on Manning. Our offense did nothing with the opportunity. Bottom line is, Denver was just better on this night, and deserved to win. And for their efforts, they are now tied with us for the lead in the AFC West with a road game to New England staring them in the face. Let's hope the Hoodie beats them, and beats them up before the rematch in Arrowhead.

1. Last night I was dozing off to some of the post game shows. This game went about the way I expected it to, but it was amusing to listen to the Chicken Little's screaming about Smith, and Reid, and Dorsey not going after Tony Gonzalez at the trade deadline, and we're going to get exposed in the playoffs, and this team is a fraud and blah blah blah. One year ago, The Chiefs were 1-10 after losing at home to the Bengals 28-6. Quinn was our QB, Moeaki was our leading receiver. That was the infamous "Blackout" game. A year later, the team is 9-1, tied for first in the AFC West, battling for the division and home field advantage in the playoffs. With Denver having to go to New England, and then to Arrowhead, it's not out of the question that they could lose both of those games. Now is the time to focus, and focus hard, on San Diego and Phyllis Rivers. Last year KC lost at Arrowhead to Rivers 37-20. Time to make that right, because if we don't win Sunday, what happens against Denver the week after doesn't matter nearly as much.
ROYC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #21
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Didn't watch the game in detail as it finished about 5am over here (tried to sleep, couldn't, ended up watching the end!!) but I think the key strength of their defense has always been their coverage, not the pass rush as such. They have good edge rushers but the middle of the defense is slightly soft so they don't get inside push on passing downs and they never really dominate against the run.

But, 27 points is our lowest points total of the year. We've been averaging 41.2 per game. On defense they have averaged 12.8 per game. If you average those two out you get....26.5! So the way this game went on offense for us shouldn't really surprise anyone or change anyone's view of their defense.

9-1 doesn't lie, they are a legit team but without a decent QB they are doomed to playoff failure. As others have mentioned that good defense of theirs should keep them from drafting a decent QB for years to come..hehehehe....
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

^^^ Would like to agree, but other than the Broncos at home, which will be a closer game, who do they lose to? Playing in KC in December is tough and their road games are against chumps. Maybe they lose to Indy, but that is at home and Indy is a tough on to figure out with their wins and losses.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #23
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Manning had only 1 TD pass and Moreno had less than 3 YPC.

Broncos only punted at most 3 times in every game they played. Against KC they had 3 punts in just 1 quarter.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Manning had only 1 TD pass and Moreno had less than 3 YPC.

Broncos only punted at most 3 times in every game they played. Against KC they had 3 punts in just 1 quarter.
Moral victories. Enjoy them.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #25
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Tend to agree with this. I'm tired of every time a team or player doesn't play amazing, they're suddenly "exposed."

Peyton Manning threw an INT! He was exposed!

They're still a good defense.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote