The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

in 8 first half posessions the cheifs ran the ball 10 times.
this is with lamaal charles as their RB.
andy reid, pass junkie, just like shanny.
they cant help themselves.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #27
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

KC march down the field then (can't remember what happened I think it was the Charles run inside where Trevathan took a horrible angle and Moore took one that ever worse netting a 35 yard gain).

Remember all those KC fans crying about how we run "illegal" pick plays? Well here's KC running their own version against K-Web.

Except the rookie has probably seen this play dozens of time in the practice field, he closes in, gets great lean and just gets the ball away with his right hand to break up the pass.

Welcome (again) to the big leagues Kayvon.
Attached Images

fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

I think I skipped a play.

1st and 10 (previous play from above) and Malik Jackson is back at it.

Notice how he's the only DL to disengage from his blocker. The rest of the our DL/DEs are still tied up and charles should have options now.

Except Jackson disengages quickly, turns upfield in one quick movement and forces Charles to spin around him. It was a decent play by Charles but Jackson did enough to change his initial angle slowing him up for a small gain.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

This is the KC TD.

Smith locks onto Bowe from the start. Vickerson ends up with decent penetration inside but falls at the wrong time allowing Smith to plant and throw.

Meanwhile Bowe gets into contact with Webster just at the five yard limit rule. He extends beyond that, past 5 yards, pushes off (in the 2nd screen shot below) while the ref is freakin' right there and signals TD.

Great job ref. Can't really fault Webster on that play. He had tight press coverage, protected the end zone, only to have Bowe push off a comeback route.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #30
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

I'm pretty sure I screwed up the order on those last two plays, but you get the idea.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #31
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

You do a better job dissecting than those morons on TV!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #32
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

We score a TD of our own, and KC gets the ball back.

Can someone tell me WTF is going on here? Ayers is talking to the DT to try and get his assignment down. Ihenacho is running around like a headless chicken trying to figure out whether he had deep coverage. Adams tells him to go back which he eventually does but we get no drive from Ayers, Ihenacho is backpeddling and probably not read the play and it ends up in a first down off a 3rd and long KC play.

Get this sh&t cleaned up!!
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #33
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

KC dink and dunk down the field aided by some (un)timely officiating.

Trevathan gets banged up (stinger?) on an outside pursuit play on Charles.

Enter Steve Johnson - 53. Near Goal line play, 3rd and goal with KC knocking on the door towards making it a 3 point game.

Knighton gets good penetration inside but Charles is too quick. Johnson sees/read the gap and shoots the hole to meet Charles with a facefull of hurt and sends him back.

Jonhson saved a TD there!
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #34
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Ok, I'm going to take a break and get some other work (lol) done.

Will finish off the 1st half later.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #35
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Wait, but I though Miller was missing? If so how can he have blown up these plays?
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #36
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
He finishes off the rip move beating his man and getting clear to Smith putting him under pressure and cutting off his read to a minimal checkdown instead of a deeper play. He did this in under 3 seconds I think.

Maybe this was a slow developing screen (can't really tell because 3 OL are still at home)?
This was a slow developing screen pass. The other 2 OL are well down field and turning up field as the play develops....

However, Malik Jackson is starting to play like the man I thought he could be in the NFL!
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
DT had that separation down the right sideline multiple times after and Manning couldn't hit him. Collinsworth kept blabbing about missed opportunities for the Chiefs, but they dodged several bullets on those throws.
Collinsworth was trying to keep the casual fan interested as KC was not doing it for themselves!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #38
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
We score a TD of our own, and KC gets the ball back.

Can someone tell me WTF is going on here? Ayers is talking to the DT to try and get his assignment down. Ihenacho is running around like a headless chicken trying to figure out whether he had deep coverage. Adams tells him to go back which he eventually does but we get no drive from Ayers, Ihenacho is backpeddling and probably not read the play and it ends up in a first down off a 3rd and long KC play.

Get this sh&t cleaned up!!
Honestly, Ihenacho is playing FS on that play, not SS like he usually does because of Moore's injury. So, at least Adams has the presence of mind to get him positioned correctly against that play and formation.

I like Ihenacho, but he obviously does not have a grasp of the playbook like Adams does and he played a little loose on some of those plays trying not to screw up last night.

We had more than few problems with injuries and communications last night. Also, we played some funky zone and combination coverages last night that seemed to confuse some of the guys. There were more than few plays where guys had the leverage reversed and got beat inside. Not sure if those were actual game adjustments to take them out their favored plays, or just changeups KC exploited.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #39
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Safety is just our worst position on the defense. I'm not confident in Moore, Adams, or Nacho.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #40
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Only winners get wings.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duke Ihenacho

Great read! Thanks for posting these screen shots & play breakdowns. I look forward to reading more.

randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #41
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
This was a slow developing screen pass. The other 2 OL are well down field and turning up field as the play develops....

However, Malik Jackson is starting to play like the man I thought he could be in the NFL!
Thanks, wasn't sure about that play.

Jackson has really improved his second year. For a guy that gets around 28-32 snaps a game he really optimizes and produces on the field.

He's still not a run defender though. He plays very well when asked to shoot the gaps and penetrate but when asked to stay at home and stack against the run he gets pushed back. Still tremendous return for a 5th rounder.

I'm hoping Q Smith gets into NFL shape this offseason. He's got great physical tools to be a serious pass rusher off the edge.

Last edited by fontaine; 11-18-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Old 11-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #42
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

Thread Killer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

props for your hard work fontaine, these are excellent
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #43
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Prater missed the next 50+ yarder giving the chiefs great field position but only 32 seconds to get within decent FG range to make it a four point game.

They pick up a quick first down with Bowe and next set of downs.

Jackson/Phillips at DE.

Both guys start off well with Smith in shotgun. Phillips loops over the top of this guy timing his burst inside to where Smith is. Jackson redirects inside, disengages and both guys close in quick on Smith for a 9 yard sack taking the chiefs out of our half.

Phillips followed up his effort with another solid pressure the next play snuffing out any chance of the chiefs getting within FG range. Reid opting to no kick a long one when JDR send DRC deep in our end zone.
Attached Images

Last edited by fontaine; 11-18-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Old 11-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #44
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

That's the first half and pretty much it for me.

The 2nd half pretty much went as expected with:

1. Our run defense staying strong against their perimeter run game to the point where Reid started getting desperate and going to misdirection/fake end arounds, option keepers with Smith and other trickeration but you can't sustain an offense like that against a disciplined front 7 that have already faced the likes of Pryor, RGIII, and Mike Vick.

2. Defensively Jackson continued to stand out, adding another batted pass, direct hit on Smith and the OL resorted to giving Jackson a fistful in his facemask (ref blatantly missed that call as well).

3. Wolfe finally started showing some life later in the game with a nice aggressive sack where he did a good job of shedding his blocker and bringing down Smith.

4. We didn't blitz a whole lot in this game, we didn't need to. JDR kept all DL rotated and fresh.

5. It was interesting how our O attacked KC who didn't rotate their corners and kept Smith/Cooper on either side of the field without moving them around. We kept sending DT over to Cooper's side and that's where we took our shots deep. DT dropping one as well as Julius Thomas which wasn't good to see.

6. This was an important win for us. Not just to tie in the division but looking ahead. Three out of the four next opponents all feature run balanced offenses that work the short area passing game and at times will take their shots deeper. Playing stout and disciplined like we did is going to go a long way towards making sure our offense doesn't get into shootouts.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #45
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
Safety is just our worst position on the defense. I'm not confident in Moore, Adams, or Nacho.
I feel much better about Adams. He's not going to make splash plays but he's not going to give up too many either.

Nacho at anything other than run support is a lottery though. I couldn't watch if somehow he found himself covering Gronk.

Moore just puzzles me. He's got all the talent but I rarely see him arrive before the ball.

Anyway, my thoughts on safeties suck because it's hard to watch what's going on unless you're watching the all-22 (which I don't). So I only get to see bits and pieces.

All I can tell you is what you see on the field in terms of results from our safeties rather than what they're doing/not doing right.

Last edited by fontaine; 11-18-2013 at 03:39 PM..
Old 11-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #46
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Fontaine, I really like your write-ups, especially with the still photos to show your main points. Great work.

My only comment is about the Ball fumble. I don't think it's generally the RB's job to "look the ball in.". He is supposed to be reading his blocks and keeping his eyes downfield. It was his fault, however, that his upper arm was too low. Ball needs to have is upper arm higher, and clasp his arms around the ball when it hits his gut. His arm was too low.

Also, Manning should have also placed the ball a little lower. I suspect that part of this has to do with the height difference between Ball and Moreno when they accept the handoff. I think Ball sinks his hips a little lower on takeoff. I expect that they will get this fixed in practice this week.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #47
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Love these threads keep it up
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #48
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Fontaine, I really like your write-ups, especially with the still photos to show your main points. Great work.

My only comment is about the Ball fumble. I don't think it's generally the RB's job to "look the ball in.". He is supposed to be reading his blocks and keeping his eyes downfield. It was his fault, however, that his upper arm was too low. Ball needs to have is upper arm higher, and clasp his arms around the ball when it hits his gut. His arm was too low.

Also, Manning should have also placed the ball a little lower. I suspect that part of this has to do with the height difference between Ball and Moreno when they accept the handoff. I think Ball sinks his hips a little lower on takeoff. I expect that they will get this fixed in practice this week.
You're probably right about that one, blame goes to both. Outside of that play I thought Ball had a pretty good game.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #49
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
nice! have any shots of von being triple teamed/ or even double teamed at ANY time in the second half?
Check out post #5. Its not a triple team but it looks like the TE initially starts blocking him with the LT waiting for Von when the TE disengages. Without Von in the line up that TE just runs a route without blocking anyone. Its easy to see in these pics alone what Von brings to this defense.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #50
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Thanks, Fontaine. I love to look at these.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote