The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default The Chiefs scored less than every other team we've faced this year

Every single team we've faced - even the Jags - has managed to put up more points than the Chiefs did.

Was it a part of our defense finally being healthy? Partially. This team has really played well now that Miller, who commanded double and even triple-teams, and Woodyard especially are back on the field.

Denver is averaging 2.5 sacks a game the last few weeks. And the point totals are coming down.

But I also think it shows how crappy the Chiefs offense really is. It's basically Jamal Charles. Denver largely contained Charles. In fact Alex Smith almost had as many running yards as Charles did.

So we may be getting better on defense, but their offense is putrid. We'll get a real test this weekend.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

I know a win is a win, but I sure miss the 40+ points per game that we used to put up!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

My favorite is when Alex Smith put the ball in the air over 40 times. I'm pretty sure that's not what you want him to do.

Denver's D played well. I'm really becoming a huge Trevathan fan, he's impressed me.
Powderaddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

The McChiefs must have been the most overrated 9-0 team ever when they came into last night's game.

L0L.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
I know a win is a win, but I sure miss the 40+ points per game that we used to put up!
Eh, they didn't need to put up 40 to win. Plus, more dropbacks = more chances to get Manning hit. It was a good gameplan, and they stuck with it. KC's defense is still a good defense, and we still won with little drama.
Powderaddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Look at it this way....

KC's defense was averaging giving up 13 pts per game this season. We scored 27 (and special teams missed out on another 3).

Scoring 27 on a unit that only gives up 13 is more impressive IMO than scoring 40 on a unit that gives up over 30 on average.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I felt like Denver wanted to shorten the game along with KC wanting to do that. I felt like Denver didn't feel that KC could beat them without winning turnover battle or without getting ST/D score. Denver manhandled them and got out of the game minimizing hots on Peyton. KC was clearly outclassed.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Look at it this way....

KC's defense was averaging giving up 13 pts per game this season. We scored 27 (and special teams missed out on another 3).

Scoring 27 on a unit that only gives up 13 is more impressive IMO than scoring 40 on a unit that gives up over 30 on average.
and it could have easily been more. There were a couple near misses in the first half that were set to be huge plays, and Denver was in protect mode most of the second. Denver could have scored, but it would have hung Manning out to dry more. It was a good gameplan. We knew we could win this even with a reduced playbook.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think the Broncos defense kept hearing how bad they were, and how great the Chiefs defense was and saw this as a big statement game. Denver's main goal was to keep Manning healthy. Were a lot less aggressive then they have been in past weeks
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

the cheifs were an anomoly. no other team in the history of the NFL had gone 9-0 by beating 9 teams with losing records.
as I said on friday, the chiefs have not beaten a team with a winning record and on monday that will still be true.
Our D is susseptable to the deep pass!
BRADY will destroy us throwing deep if we dont get that fixed !
it would be nice if VON miller showed up for a game !

we have some awesome defenders, they should be playing better as a unit !
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Chiefs look to score points from their defense. Did they get 3 or 7 from the bad handoff exchange last night? We held our mistakes to a small amount and that does not bode well for the Chiefs style of play.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
the cheifs were an anomoly. no other team in the history of the NFL had gone 9-0 by beating 9 teams with losing records.
as I said on friday, the chiefs have not beaten a team with a winning record and on monday that will still be true.
Our D is susseptable to the deep pass!
BRADY will destroy us throwing deep if we dont get that fixed !
it would be nice if VON miller showed up for a game !

we have some awesome defenders, they should be playing better as a unit !
Brady has not been the same with his receiving crew this season. Moore isn't playing so we shall see what Brady tries to do but I expect shorter passes as he has been doing. I don't worry about the long pass too much this coming game. I know you are mad at Miller for the Chiefs game but are you saying he hasn't done anything since he came back?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

getting penalties for TAUNTING?
that shyte has to stop!
bravo JDR for pulling his arse off the field and forcing him to watch as the cheifs scored knowing it was entirely his fault !
I hate it when one of our broncos acts like a punk!
see sack dancing for details !
Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

I will make this statement and it is here for all to see. Denver will need to score more than 27 this next Sunday night if we expect a win. I think that New England is going to be a lot tougher test for this team than a weak KC team that we all know about.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBF1 View Post
I will make this statement and it is here for all to see. Denver will need to score more than 27 this next Sunday night if we expect a win. I think that New England is going to be a lot tougher test for this team than a weak KC team that we all know about.
Well duh.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Chiefs are a punt factory.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBF1 View Post
all true but our re-match in KC wont be any picnic.
BRADY is going to expose our poor deep pass defense. and we still have trouble covering TE! think the gronk wont make the most of that?it mioght take 45 points to win in foxborough.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I felt like Denver wanted to shorten the game along with KC wanting to do that. I felt like Denver didn't feel that KC could beat them without winning turnover battle or without getting ST/D score.
I agree. I think we played things really safe. One thing we did that I love that I personally would probably not have done and failed is we didn't stop being who we were. The Chiefs were weak against the run, but rather than run the ball a bunch, we just tweaked what we do well to make it work rather than trying to be something we're not.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I think this is two fold, one Peyton, though playing pretty well (for his standards and awesome by most other QB standards) has been and remains a bit less sharp since his ankle injuries. Last night when he had time to really set his feet from the pocket and throw he was general more accurate and with more velocity, but when he had to slide or roll out some and move such that his right leg wasn't directly planted behind his body for launching the pass from he tends to be less accurate and more prone to throwing quasi wounded ducks from time to time. A number of which he threw last night and in the Charger game as well as against Washington in the first half, not to mention the Colts game in the first half in particular.

On his good throws last night he seems to have more zip than in recent weeks though and I think he is starting to heal. It certainly great that he had no further aggregation last night giving real time for that ankle to continue getting better.

Secondly, and partially because of the above situation, JDR in his first two games as the head guy as resorted even quicker than usual to the typical defensive coaches mind set where in they revert to 'small ball' clock control offense and move away from our Manning ball pedal to the metal offense after we get it going in the second half and build up a two score lead. whether that is 10 points, 14 or 17 points in this case making it a 3 score edge.

Half way through the 4th quarter we shifted into that prevent offense and prevent defense where the whole Idea was to try and slow down and prevent KC from scoring but mostly to run time off the clock even if they do grab a garbage TD or FG as both Chargers and KC did the last two weeks when the game was clearly pretty much won.

I hate this philosophy as the whole team seems to let up some when they know they are no longer urgently trying to score and the D also gets the message that they just have to hold on and slow the other team down just enough to stay ahead by the final gun sounding.

These two combined factors, along with playing more determined and better quality division rival defenses have lead to the drop in scoring in the last two weeks and we still could easily have hung another TD on both the Chargers and KC had we really stayed with the pedal to the metal all game.

Plus the run game emphasis last night was part of the game plan, not only to protect Manning more and keeping the KC pass rush off guard and not allowing them to just tee off on Manning every down expecting a pass. But was also by design to limit the kind of second half opportunities for the KC defense to get TOs and defensive scores which has been the only way KC has won almost every game this year.

It seems like Denver as willing to sacrifice our total score totals in exchange for greatly minimizing or preventing any KC defensive scores or critical red zone TOs in the second half that has kick started the majority of Chief victories with their utterly inept offense.

I suspect we won't be using so much of this philosophy this coming week. I just hope both Welker and Julius can play safely and at full speed in NE as well. We really need a full house against NE.

However, if Welker has to sit this one out, Id rather he do that than risk losing him for a much longer time with another concussion with his history of too many already. I think Tamme, Dreessen and maybe Bubba can fill in pretty well for Welker in the slot as long as DT, Decker and JT are alive and well on the field. Plus we would likely use a lot more passes to Moreno out of the backfield if Welker can't go too.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
BRADY is going to expose our poor deep pass defense. and we still have trouble covering TE! think the gronk wont make the most of that?it mioght take 45 points to win in foxborough.
Brady has become one of the least accurate deep passers in the league. It's pretty common knowledge, especially around here where it's all I've been hearing about this year.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Looked like the same Chief's offense we've seen all year - except that Smith threw a couple times to Bowe.

It goes to Charles 4 times out of 5 except when Smith dinks or dunks, and half the time that goes to Charles as well.

If I was their defense, I'd ask for a divorce.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Every single team we've faced - even the Jags - has managed to put up more points than the Chiefs did.

Was it a part of our defense finally being healthy? Partially. This team has really played well now that Miller, who commanded double and even triple-teams, and Woodyard especially are back on the field.

Denver is averaging 2.5 sacks a game the last few weeks. And the point totals are coming down.

But I also think it shows how crappy the Chiefs offense really is. It's basically Jamal Charles. Denver largely contained Charles. In fact Alex Smith almost had as many running yards as Charles did.

So we may be getting better on defense, but their offense is putrid. We'll get a real test this weekend.
Charles -6 passing yards means kFcdud will have to lower his all purpose yard expectations down to about 1200. The impressive thing was that Charles broke off a big run yet still fell well below 100 yards rushing for the game.

Not something you expect out of a league MVP in their biggest test of the season.

I just hope mCoy can implement our defensive game plan this week. Set the edge and keep Charles inside for 2 yard gains, watch for screens and contain Alice so he cannot run and make it a 3rd and short, almost erase those flat passes behind the LOS and make them throw it down field where a ball hawker can pick off a couple floaters. DRC should have had at least 2 INT's.

Then if SD's O can not turn it over they will win. Rivers is the 2nd best QB they have faced this year. kFc couldn't contain Thomas, no way they contain Gates.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Our OL got their asses kicked, our receivers dropped balls, and Alex played about average for him (which isn't very good).

That's about it.
DaFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Our OL got their asses kicked, our receivers dropped balls, and Alex played about average for him (which isn't very good).

That's about it.
You forgot your DL didn't show and your secondary was shredded for over 300 yards.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #25
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

I just wonder for the rematch, if we will stick to last night's gameplan (run run run the ball, keep Peyton out of harm's way, clock control) or if we will switch it up and go back to our traditional air raid offense.
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote