The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default I know it is Onseason mode but you have to watch Science Channel's "Challenger Disaster"

I watched Science/Discovery Channel's made for TV Movie called "The Challenger Disaster" with my daughter last night. You have to watch it.

Hurt pulled off a good Richard Feynman impression. Feynman worked on many of the USA's important projects including the Challenger commission and the Manhattan Project. Feynman was brilliant but an odd duck, back at Los Alamos he would sneak out at night to howl at the moon. If I remember right he lost his 1st wife young.

I read one of his many books about his life and kind of lost some respect for him. He went on one of his early consulting gigs out of town (I think it was a place like Buffalo) in the early '50's. He got in the cab (he liked to talk to cabbies) and asked him a good place to get a drink, the cabby took him to his favorite dive bar and over a series of visits he created an alternate life for himself as a traveling salesman. He would have affairs with these bar broads and live like he was wise guy type. The thing I didn't like is that he had a wife at home who didn't know until much later.

Back to the show it was more of a procedural who dunnit type drama but there was a lot of actual points that they used in the movie that actually happened. Well worth watching. I believe it is on Monday night on the Science Channel and will be followed by a one hour special on Richard Feynman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/16/ar...nnel-film.html
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Bronco Yoda

Watched it. I enjoyed it. Family hated how slow it was. Most people probably will fall asleep half way through.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Watched it. I enjoyed it. Family hated how slow it was. Most people probably will fall asleep half way through.
No transformers saving the O ring from blowing and landing the crew safely but it was pretty true to the facts as they happened and Feynman's ability to cut through the fog of the Washington BS with his brilliant presentation at the hearing is something everyone should see.

I loved when Rodgers was talking about the 2 million moving parts and it could be something they never find and Feynman said that is noting we can solve a problem with an infinity of variables.

Plus he did it while dealing with multiple cancers likely incurred from the Los Alamos tests.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Bronco Yoda

Sad thing is it didn't have to happen. Those astronauts died because of politics. Those O rings were never designed to fly in that cold of weather. Not even close.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Just discovered that channel. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the stuff they say.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Got it in the DVR... Looking even more forward to it with these endorsements.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Don't tell us what to do.......
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
No transformers saving the O ring from blowing and landing the crew safely but it was pretty true to the facts as they happened and Feynman's ability to cut through the fog of the Washington BS with his brilliant presentation at the hearing is something everyone should see.

I loved when Rodgers was talking about the 2 million moving parts and it could be something they never find and Feynman said that is noting we can solve a problem with an infinity of variables.

Plus he did it while dealing with multiple cancers likely incurred from the Los Alamos tests.
Thanks for the tip BroncoSteven just put in on record schedule, Feynman was truly a brilliant man and one of a kind.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

I just watched it. Thanks for mentioning it. It was well done. I wonder why it took so long to get any kind of movie about the Challenger. At any rate, I found it fascinating and honestly having worked at least a little on more recent programs, there are still a bunch of ass coverers in all the agencies involved.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I've been seeing the previews for this and wanted to watch it. Thanks for the reminder. I'm also looking forward to that new show with James Woods. Can't remember what it's called but it's along the lines of what Morgan Freeman did with the wormhole series. Should be cool.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Hopefully its better/smarter than that POS, Gravity.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
Hopefully its better/smarter than that POS, Gravity.
I liked Gravity. I think it helped that the shuttle program was dead when they made it or I might have not been able to buy into the fact that the orbits for the ISS and Hubble were so close and that there was a non-existent Chinese space station.

I hated Apollo 18 though for likely the same reasons you didn't like Gravity.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Anyone else see the latest Modern Family Episode where they riffed on Apollo 13? Their best episode by far.

I also watched the Science Channel's documentary on Feynman with my daughter, even she thought it was good.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

No I don't have to watch it.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
No I don't have to watch it.
Just think, you might learn that if you sit under an apple tree why apple would smack the **** out of you.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I DVR'ed "For All Mankind" off TCM back on 1/3 of this month and just watched it with the kids since they were off school due to the weather.

TCM is running it this month, they have a space/science month with other movies/documentaries airing late on Friday nights.

If you have not seen "For All Mankind" I highly recommend it, it is all legit footage shot by NASA during the Apollo years. Brian Eno did the sound track. Plus there were plenty of Gene Kranz money shots, even though they had him in his splash down vest the whole movie even during the liftoffs and the Lunar landings/ascents.

Great movie to watch if you want to remember a time back when the USA was capable of accomplishing great things.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

On January 27th 1967 a fire claimed the lives of Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee. A spark ignited the nearly 100% Oxygen atmosphere killing the 3 astronauts leading to a total redesign of the capsule by NASA and their contractors. Sadly this was not the last time NASA experienced "GO FEVER" but it would be the inspiration for the Gene Kranz "Kranz Dictum", one of the greatest speeches ever.

Per Deke Slayton Gus would have been his choice to be the 1st man on the moon.

RIP and God Speed to the crew of Apollo 1.