The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
The Lone Bolt
Ring of Famer

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Default Some thoughts for you prohibitionists...

The Lone Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt View Post
It seems that moderate legalization is something that a majority of both parties are considering but seem to be a little too afraid to push for. I say make a good portion of them legal, regulate it, and then tax the bejeezus out of it.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
It seems that moderate legalization is something that a majority of both parties are considering but seem to be a little too afraid to push for. I say make a good portion of them legal, regulate it, and then tax the bejeezus out of it.
you want to be careful about that, that could perpetuate black markets for products that would cicumvent regulations and quality control.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
you want to be careful about that, that could perpetuate black markets for products that would cicumvent regulations and quality control.
Just like the thriving black markets for tobacco and alcohol.

Oh wait.

Those items are taxed at huge rates (comparatively). I doubt it will affect it any more than with those two.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

MAYOR-TORONTO.jpg
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
You are undoubtedly correct. Moonshine is very prevalent here in NC and it has a lot to do with ABC stores serving hard liquor and taxing it pretty heavily.

However, I think that the vast majority of mankind always weighs the opportunity cost of something against effort and going to a store and just picking some up will be easier for most than having to deal with an illegal dealer and the possibility of arrest. Just my opinion at least.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You are undoubtedly correct. Moonshine is very prevalent here in NC and it has a lot to do with ABC stores serving hard liquor and taxing it pretty heavily.

However, I think that the vast majority of mankind always weighs the opportunity cost of something against effort and going to a store and just picking some up will be easier for most than having to deal with an illegal dealer and the possibility of arrest. Just my opinion at least.
As "prevalent" as moonshining, homebrewing and growing tobacco at home are, even in certain parts of the country, they aren't even a drop in the bucket compared to the money their respective industries make for both businesses and the government.

If marijuana is legalized, the likelihood of them being able to ban growing it (or more importantly enforce such a ban) is next to nil, and the likelihood of that affecting the legalized marijuana industry is also nil. People are lazy, and they'd rather pay top dollar for decent weed than try and grow it themselves.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Nobody has ever died of a marijuana overdose.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

A roommate of mine in college did 30 bong hits in about 3 or 4 hours. He was stoned for a long time but 2 days later he was fine.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
As "prevalent" as moonshining, homebrewing and growing tobacco at home are, even in certain parts of the country, they aren't even a drop in the bucket compared to the money their respective industries make for both businesses and the government.

If marijuana is legalized, the likelihood of them being able to ban growing it (or more importantly enforce such a ban) is next to nil, and the likelihood of that affecting the legalized marijuana industry is also nil. People are lazy, and they'd rather pay top dollar for decent weed than try and grow it themselves.
It seems like you're arguing and but agreeing with my overall point. By making possession legal then they have also made growing it legal to a certain amount. But I'm certain they will regulate the types, quantity, and black market sales.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
It seems like you're arguing and but agreeing with my overall point. By making possession legal then they have also made growing it legal to a certain amount. But I'm certain they will regulate the types, quantity, and black market sales.
I'm agreeing with you, disagreeing with B-Large. The "black market", as it were, is of no threat to the legitimate marijuana market. There will be high taxes on it and it will be well regulated. There will be people who grow it on their own, and probably people who sell it outside the regulated market...but not at enough of a cost difference to make a dent in the legit market or become a dot on the radar of the feds. Everyone will still get their cut of the pie.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

how has prohibition on anything worked out? Just say no is a naive nancy-ism.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote