The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > The Horses Butt
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Poll: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Poll Options
Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,749
Default Should the Redskins change their name?

Here is the actual question that I am asking:

Should the Washington Redskins change their name.

The question is not: Should they have to change their name?

It is also not: Should someone make them change their name?

It is also not: How do you think Dan Snyder feels about this? Do you think he would want to do it?

This is also not a debate about free speech and/or private property. It is obvious that since that team has operated under that name for a very long time that they are legally entitled to continue using that name. So this is not a question of law, it is an "ought" to thing.

You could reinterpret the question as: Given the facts of the situation and given how you feel about it personally, do you think that the Washington Redskins ought to change their name?

I'm not here to place any judgement, I just want to see how the board feels and I want to avoid some of the frequent pitfalls of asking questions like this and how the responses can be skewed by a misinterpretation of the question.

Feel free to qualify your vote with words.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

No and the only reason we are discussing this is because the overly zealous liberals who have nothing better to do with their time than make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,217

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
No and the only reason we are discussing this is because the overly zealous liberals who have nothing better to do with their time than make a mountain out of a mole hill.
This
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
mennonite
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 863

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

What are the odds that Mike Florio is Logicalvoice?
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,403

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

I voted yes, but barely so. I hate how a bunch of uppity white people are driving the change. I hate the PC crowd supports the change. I hate that it's something that doesn't really harm anyone. The word is use in a positive way. They are supporting that group. I don't believe the team's existence encourages racism or people to treat Native Americans poorly. I think the press and a bunch of liberal jerk-wads are driving for the change.


That said, objectively speaking, the name is really stupid. There are a number of team names that can be used to reference the many Native Americans that are better words than "Redskin." I mean really when you step back and look at that, it's stupid. And the whining and crying will never stop until they do. So I would say change it to save yourself from the headache, and because they name was pretty stupid to begin with.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 7,408

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Option C: I don't care

Bonus gif action!



That was a great movie!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,410
Default

don't care...what happened to the other thread?
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 
Get off my lawn, you kids!

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,459

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

People are normally resistant to change. It's especially true, in this case. Changing the name of a franchise that has been in existence for over 80 years is a difficult thing to do. It may have started out as a racial slur, but I don't think anybody, today, sees it as anything but a name. Plus, "Hail To The Redskins" is a great fight song. Leave it alone. It's not like they are trotting out a Native American mascot and buffooning him (ala Charlie Chaplin). Everything I've seen actually CELEBRATES the Native culture...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
mennonite
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 863

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

They'll give in. They always do. This is America - the more offended you claim to be the more political capitol you have.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,049

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

my thread rulezor delete this crapzzzzzz
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,029

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

They should change their name to the Washington Washington's and have a big ol picture of George Washington on their helmet.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,487
Default

I'd have to see the numbers. Do we make money on the name change, or do we lose money.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,487
Default

If you could make money on new merchandise, and win from a PR standpoint Snyder fighting it could be a mistake.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
my thread rulezor delete this crapzzzzzz
lol

you're poll was asking something completely different, just wanted to take an OM snap shot.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
They should change their name to the Washington Washington's and have a big ol picture of George Washington on their helmet.
Brilliant!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,029

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Brilliant!
It's a Win-Win for everyone. I don't think they'd approve of Andrew Jackson tho. He was mean to natives.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,217

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

My main question in all of this is where the **** are the people b****ing at the Braves, Indians, or Blackhawks, Florida State Seminoles also SDSU Aztecs? Hell even the Chiefs can be considered as being un-PC.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,029

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Because none of those names (as far as I know) had a negative connotation associated with them. . . or were at any time used as pejoratives.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,254

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I voted yes, but barely so. I hate how a bunch of uppity white people are driving the change. I hate the PC crowd supports the change. I hate that it's something that doesn't really harm anyone. The word is use in a positive way. They are supporting that group. I don't believe the team's existence encourages racism or people to treat Native Americans poorly. I think the press and a bunch of liberal jerk-wads are driving for the change.


That said, objectively speaking, the name is really stupid. There are a number of team names that can be used to reference the many Native Americans that are better words than "Redskin." I mean really when you step back and look at that, it's stupid. And the whining and crying will never stop until they do. So I would say change it to save yourself from the headache, and because they name was pretty stupid to begin with.
I'm pretty much in agreement with this.

I voted yes... But barely. I'm not overly PC, but 'Redskins' is a pretty ridiculous team name.

But the worst team name in sports by far is Real Salt Lake.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
Orange Habit
Just Drafted
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 48
Default

For years, I've long been in the Samuel Gerard camp on this issue. It's funny that it's all of the sudden gaining steam now, when it's been mentioned quite a while ago.

However, what has started to sway me to reconsider is being reminded that the man that gave the Redskins its name, George Preston Marshall, was a racist of epic proportions, and he clearly gave the team its name for racist reasons. Now, I strongly believe that no word, by itself, can inherently be offensive. It's all about the context--and in this case, the context is pretty ugly.

So basically, the decision that Dan Snyder has to make is whether any benefits of retaining the Redskins name outweigh the bad history of why the name was chosen in the first place.

That said, I strongly disagree with the recent trend of some news outlets and journalists refusing to say Redskins in print. The name of the team is the Washington Redskins, whether you like it or not. You are more than free to denounce the name and argue that it should be changed, but you should also fully inform your viewers.

Besides, whenever I see the phrase "Washington football team", I think of the fine program run by Steve Sarkisian in Seattle. This could lead into another rant on how I feel East Coasters wrongly assume "Washington" always means DC, but that's for another day...
Orange Habit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
rmsanger
Ring of Famer
 
rmsanger's Avatar
 
Another one bites the dust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,886

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Washington Smegma Foreskins
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #22
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

I support the team's right to decide. If they want to change it, I support that. If they want to leave it be, I support that too.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,459
Default

Jesus...Ezekiel...Jesus...

Third thread asking the same EXACT question. Search is a friend, really. And to answer again...I dont care. And the only opinion that matters is Dan Snyder's.


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!
 
GreatBronco16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bama Baby
Posts: 6,373

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default

No.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,961
Default

No, but they need to change that joke defense.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Denver Broncos