The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Bronco Yoda

Default Opinions on 12 guage tactical shotguns

I'm looking to get one in a few weeks at an upcoming gun show. Just a simple under the bed home security gun. looking for something meaner than our little 20 gauge yet more nimble than my long barrel turkey shooter. (I sold my AR for a tidy profit earlier this year when everyone was freaking out). So I admit I'm now temped to go with something semi-auto with mags but then come back to reality for the purpose I need and my budget.

Still haven't decided between pump or semi-auto. My head tells me to keep it a simple and affordable ...18.5 long pump. My heart tells me to get stupid.

Anyone here own a mossberg 930 semi-auto or the equivalent?

I should really just go and get a simple Rem 870 or Mossberg 500. Attach a light to it and call it a day.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Bronco Yoda; 11-08-2013 at 10:57 AM..
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I just have a remington 870 with a 28 inch barrel and then a smaller one. I'm not an expert I think it is 20 inches, the security barrel? I can shoot it though I just don't remember the exact length of the "security barrel" then i was told you can get a slug barrel also and hunt deer, but I just grabbed it because it was on sale. 309.00 bucks.

All tactical does is put a piston grip on it right?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Benelli has a new line of affordable tactical stuff but I heard the quality not as high as other benelli lines, but still good.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Meck77

Have you considered the Saiga 30 round drum shotgun? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1vPXTcE5-4

You liberals will love this. If you recall Biden suggested that if you wife feels threatened just shoot through the door or fire a couple rounds in the air. lol Wonder if he meant with a 30 round semi auto shotgun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1vPXTcE5-4
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I have pump 410 and use 3" PDXI Defender shells (3 plated discs with 12 bb's) I used it on an armadillo in the yard .....never knew what hit him.

Send a PM to Doc. B he has a safe room full of awesome self-defense firearms, it's like going to a gun show at his house.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Have you considered the Saiga 30 round drum shotgun? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1vPXTcE5-4

You liberals will love this. If you recall Biden suggested that if you wife feels threatened just shoot through the door or fire a couple rounds in the air. lol Wonder if he meant with a 30 round semi auto shotgun!

Oh yeah! Funny you should mention that. Crazy minds must think alike. That's already on my 'toy' list. Just looking for one that's a simple stock and great deal so I can then modify it. That's really what I'm going to the gun show for. (you can pick up a simple security pump anywhere) Already found the guy to do the work on it too. http://lonestararms.com/saiga_12_gallery

Last edited by Bronco Yoda; 11-08-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I have pump 410 and use 3" PDXI Defender shells (3 plated discs with 12 bb's) I used it on an armadillo in the yard .....never knew what hit him.

Send a PM to Doc. B he has a safe room full of awesome self-defense firearms, it's like going to a gun show at his house.
I had a 410 in HS. I sawed it off at the stock. It would literally knock you on your butt if you didn't brace yourself. (well still have it but the stock is split). I tracked down on our ranch a porcupine that blinded my dog. I made my own half crop circle that day.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I just have a remington 870 with a 28 inch barrel and then a smaller one. I'm not an expert I think it is 20 inches, the security barrel? I can shoot it though I just don't remember the exact length of the "security barrel" then i was told you can get a slug barrel also and hunt deer, but I just grabbed it because it was on sale. 309.00 bucks.

All tactical does is put a piston grip on it right?
Yeah tactical is really overused in guns. Anything becomes tactical by how you use it i guess. I was thinking something with a short barrel (less tha 20"). something with a modified stock & light rails for add ons (like a light etc).

btw, that sounds like you got a steal on that gun. You should keep the security barrel on it and add a light like this one. http://www.surefire.com/gear-recomme...un-forend.html

Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Bronco Yoda

Anyone here own a mossberg 930 semi-auto or the equivalent?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post

Check out this slide fire for buttfiring

Old 11-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

I have a Mossberg maverick 88 with a tactical light mounted on the tube magazine that I keep for home defense. Nice home defense setup for less than 300 bucks.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Home defense?

You guys are doing it wrong.

This guy knows what's up:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=73327
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Yeah tactical is really overused in guns. Anything becomes tactical by how you use it i guess. I was thinking something with a short barrel (less tha 20"). something with a modified stock & light rails for add ons (like a light etc).

btw, that sounds like you got a steal on that gun. You should keep the security barrel on it and add a light like this one. http://www.surefire.com/gear-recomme...un-forend.html

yeah that is cool, i will think about it. Not really a gun person but it's a good idea IMO to have that tool in your chest. You may not ever need a gun but you never know.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I have a Mossberg maverick 88 with a tactical light mounted on the tube magazine that I keep for home defense. Nice home defense setup for less than 300 bucks.
It's sort of amazing IMO how cheap some of the firearms are.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
ak1971
uhhhh

How a bout a nice compact revolver instead?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big-gun1.jpg (22.4 KB, 50 views)
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Bronco Yoda

Anyone here ever shoot or know anyone that has an Akdal MKA 1919-XN 12 gauge here? They're getting more popular with the 3-gun competition crowd. Unlike the Saiga you can get parts for this inexpensive Turkish import.

Last edited by Bronco Yoda; 11-10-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Old 11-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

I'm a Mossberg 500 man myself.

I use a #7 load (powerful enough to ventilate the bad guy but not to go through a wall and hit a guitar or something.)
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #18
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Mossberg 500 Chainsaw Zombie Killer........... Oorah .

Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote