The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I was waiting for someone to say we would be better off. Especially with all the Fox hate here.
I doubt if you will find even one poster here that hates John Fox. Some, myself included, think he is too conservative at times but it is generally agreed Foxy was and is good for the Broncos. He just needs to realize he has Peyton F. Manning and it seems he recently has.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #27
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I doubt if you will find even one poster here that hates John Fox. Some, myself included, think he is too conservative at times but it is generally agreed Foxy was and is good for the Broncos. He just needs to realize he has Peyton F. Manning and it seems he recently has.
I don't know Baja, game day threads paint a completely different picture!
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #28
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
I don't know Baja, game day threads paint a completely different picture!
Heat of the battle and all....
Old 11-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Hell yes it does. The impact is mitigated a bit by Del Rio being experienced and respected but John Fox is a damn good coach. You can't blame the guy for the worst aspects of a game and then claim he doesn't do that much. This is Fox's team; the players love him, coaches respect his judgement. He's a great coach and I'm concerned about how his absence will affect this Super Bowl ready team.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #30
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Heat of the battle and all....
Wasn't there a fire John Fox thread? !
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #31
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Wasn't there a fire John Fox thread? !
Probably after this is the OM. I would not be surprised to see a thread titled, "Stew up the Easter Bunny".
Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #32
delany
Uber Bronco

Quote:
Probably after this is the OM. I would not be surprised to see a thread titled, "Stew up the Easter Bunny".
mmmmm. Rabbit stew.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #33
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Del Rio has already said (repeatedly) that this is Fox's team, and he's just manning the helm while Fox is away. I don't think it will be a big deal. Overall, I believe (like a previous poster said) that this will act as more of a motivator like the Pagano situation last year.

Del Rio brings the same intensity to our defense (and team) that Manning does to the offense. Also, is guy has been an integral part of our team for two years, it's not like he's going to reinvent the wheel.

On another note, don't tell me that Fox is the only one scouting the competition and breaking down a game plan. That is always a team effort for an NFL franchise, and the others doing this will pick up any slack left by Fox. The thing I will watch with the most interest is what happens when Peyton wants to go for it on fourth down (which he often does). Will he now get his way, or will Del Rio call him off the field?

My vote is, no big change.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #34
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

it's hard to say because no one here has first hand knowledge of exactly what Fox does, outside of give press conferences.

Gase is the OC, but (we assume) gives Manning wide latitude to audible and game plan.

JDR is the DC and will continue to be.

Exactly what is Fox's responsibility here? I'm not saying he's unnecessary at all, I just don't have a good grasp on what a good delegating type coach does day-to-day.
mwill07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #35
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
The concern is over Fox's longterm health, not whether or not the Broncos' road to the playoffs gets an extra bump :/
I think we can speak intellectually about it. I think we all are concerned about Fox's long term health.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #36
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Yeah count me in the "things will be different" column. And you will see immediate differences and differences overtime as Fox's influence fades as the weeks go by and Del Rio's imprint is felt on the team.
Alfred Williams put it in perspective today. It's the inactives. It's the kick for 3 of go for it decisions. Williams also pointed out the even Manning said today that in practice they worked on things that Del Rio thought were a concern.

I really hope they accomplish better ball security. We lose too many possessions and I think everybody can agree on that. We're about to play teams that IMO have an increased chance to beat us. We can't give them extra shots or better chances to score.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #37
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
What the hell am I reading here?

Fox routinely self scouts all of the team from the previous game and gives input to both the offense and defense, scouts the opposition and provides input to those units as well, hell, he sat down with McCoy/Gase and went through the entire offense when Tebow couldn't run it and made the decision to completely change it to more option oriented plays and that's just the stuff he's made public.

You think position coaches decided all by themselves to promote Webster over Carter? Give Malik Jackson more playing time and deactivate Hillman for Anderson? Make the changes at OL?

There's a reason why Fox teams (even without JDR) are usually very effective on defense, OL, and the running game because that's what Fox knows. Otherwise you're just saying he lucked into great coordinators for more than decade and let them run the show while he worked on his golf game.
You could not say that some other HC would not have done the same. As if Fox is the only HC to ever deactivate a player having a bad spell, or to give a rookie the start over a struggling vet. Cmon man, that's a weak argument. And I keep hearing this theme about Fox creating this team. Fox isn't some HC with GM control. Elway has done PLENTY and was involved heavily in the choices as assistant coaches.

I like what Fox has done but I'm sorry, most of the credit for how this team has looked the past 2 years goes to Elway and Manning. Fox does his part but with Elway and Manning, I think we could be in the same position we are now if we had a different HC.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #38
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Offensively it will have no impact. Defensively it could be a bad thing, though I suspect it will be fine as we have some good defensive assistants to help pick up the slack.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #39
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Offensively it will have no impact. Defensively it could be a bad thing, though I suspect it will be fine as we have some good defensive assistants to help pick up the slack.
Can you name those good defensive assistants? Without looking them up........cmon man you know you can't. Shut up. J/K. But seriously, I bet you had to look them up. Am I right?
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #40
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Can you name those good defensive assistants? Without looking them up........cmon man you know you can't. Shut up. J/K. But seriously, I bet you had to look them up. Am I right?
Jim Bob Cooter?
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #41
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I think we can speak intellectually about it. I think we all are concerned about Fox's long term health.

I'm still waiting.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #42
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
The concern is over Fox's longterm health, not whether or not the Broncos' road to the playoffs gets an extra bump :/
Having no familiarity with this sort of health concern and an aortic valve replacement, I must ask, does anyone have input on Fox's longterm health outlook? Maybe not directly for him, but for others? Would this effect a person's ability to work 80-100 hrs/week, would it limit them in their ability to stand and move around for long periods of time during practice and games? Is there a concern with blood pressure (i.e. yelling at refs, being ticked off at plays, etc…)?

Bottom line, does anyone have an educated guess as to whether this will effect Fox as a coach long term? I have to believe from the interactions I have read about and seen, Fox and Elway have a lot of respect for each other and work well together. So I would assume if health is not an issue, Broncos HC is a position Fox can have for a few more years should he choose.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #43
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Having no familiarity with this sort of health concern and an aortic valve replacement, I must ask, does anyone have input on Fox's longterm health outlook? Maybe not directly for him, but for others? Would this effect a person's ability to work 80-100 hrs/week, would it limit them in their ability to stand and move around for long periods of time during practice and games? Is there a concern with blood pressure (i.e. yelling at refs, being ticked off at plays, etc…)?

Bottom line, does anyone have an educated guess as to whether this will effect Fox as a coach long term? I have to believe from the interactions I have read about and seen, Fox and Elway have a lot of respect for each other and work well together. So I would assume if health is not an issue, Broncos HC is a position Fox can have for a few more years should he choose.
I don't know.

My dad died from an aortic dissection nearly instaneously, so there was no opportunity to get this procedure done and learn about it, the after effects and the recovery process.

Honestly, the most I know of its recovery comes from Perna's newest That's Good Broncos where he talks about bio and mechanical valves, and apparently the mechanical valve requires taking blood thinners, which leads me to believe the associated stress of the position may indeed be a hazard.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #44
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
No, its more that its halfway through the season and the routine is already set. Its the 2nd year in said routine for all these guys and there's pretty good vet leadership on the team. It SHOULDN'T make a huge difference. It's still Fox's show, i just assume it runs on its own now.
This is how I feel about it. Nobody's coming into try to switch things up. It's still Foxy's team. First thought in the staff's mind is going to be oriented around what Foxy would want done.

In my mind, it's less of a concern than it would be say losing a solid coordinator to another team.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #45
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I think Fox is a cool dude and like him here.

Issues I need to see fixed with Fox led team is

1. Do better in big reg season games against top tier teams we lost them all
2. Fix alot of the sloppy play turnovers been a huge issue under fox
3. less conservative please

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 11-07-2013 at 09:01 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #46
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
I don't know.

My dad died from an aortic dissection nearly instaneously, so there was no opportunity to get this procedure done and learn about it, the after effects and the recovery process.

Honestly, the most I know of its recovery comes from Perna's newest That's Good Broncos where he talks about bio and mechanical valves, and apparently the mechanical valve requires taking blood thinners, which leads me to believe the associated stress of the position may indeed be a hazard.
Sorry to hear about your dad.

We're actually learning things from Perna now. That dude rocks. I hope to see more Del Rio hair superimposed on him.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #47
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Yes it will make a difference. You just lost the primary manager of a very complex, competitive and ever changing work force. His job is to set the vision for the team and make sure it has the tools to achieve them. Others have mentioned the prep work he does with his coordinators which will be missed. It is also all the other BS that a HC has to do. Interviews, management meetings, financial meetings ect. That is the stuff that is going to really affect JDR. He already had a full 18 hour day prior to this happening. Now he has more responsibilities and is going to have to kick some of his previous responsibilities down the ladder. Will his minions do them as well as he did? We will see.

Either way we still curb stomp SD and KC.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #48
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

I think in the short term ( 1-3 weeks) there will be very little difference in what we see on the field. Over a longer term Del Rio will have more of an impact in how the preparation goes, and especially in how the defense sets up.

For instance he might move Wolfe back inside on passing downs ( who's to say that it is not Fox that prefers to play Wolfe outside), and possibly on certain personnel packages. We might see more of Adams at Safety late in games, or other changes .

The longer Fox is out the more impact DelRio is going to have on the team, simply by momentum. He is not going to make any wholesale changes, but already this week they are practicing on certain aspects that Del Rio sees as important, and perhaps Fox did not put as much emphasis on. Hopefully this is ball security for the Offense , and secondary lanes and coverage etc for the D. Also tackling and stripping.

Over any significant period of time there will be changes that will happen.

Hopefully, This turns into a record of 4-0 over the next 4 games!
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #49
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

On the upside, this is JDR's big chance to eliminate the stain of his end in Jacksonville and show what he can do with a quality franchise and all the tools at his disposal.

I don't think we have to worry about him slacking off at this opportunity, at least.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #50
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
What the hell am I reading here?

Fox routinely self scouts all of the team from the previous game and gives input to both the offense and defense, scouts the opposition and provides input to those units as well, hell, he sat down with McCoy/Gase and went through the entire offense when Tebow couldn't run it and made the decision to completely change it to more option oriented plays and that's just the stuff he's made public.

You think position coaches decided all by themselves to promote Webster over Carter? Give Malik Jackson more playing time and deactivate Hillman for Anderson? Make the changes at OL?

There's a reason why Fox teams (even without JDR) are usually very effective on defense, OL, and the running game because that's what Fox knows. Otherwise you're just saying he lucked into great coordinators for more than decade and let them run the show while he worked on his golf game.
kind of like shanahan?
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote