The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
B-Large
Ring of Famer
 
B-Large's Avatar
 
Expunged... Accidently?

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,152

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Does Fox being out really make that big of a difference?

Fox literally can ignore 1/2 of the Broncos, aka the Offense. Del Rio is the Defensive guy, so he leans toward the D even as interim of this team. It's not like Fox was an O guru who was helping prop up a rookie QB or average vet...


I like Fox, although often I think he's too conservative, but do you really think well miss a beat with him out for a while...


I honestly think losing JDR to a bum ticker would be worse for the team....
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,307

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Hopefully Fox being out will have the same effect that the colts hc situation had on the colt's team last year. That is, the team plays better via being inspired to play better for Fox.

I do think the players really like Fox, FWIW.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,372

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Fox may not be out, he was just spotted walking West on I-40 in a hospital gown pushing a wheeled IV drip stand.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,295

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I'm hopeful it won't hurt us too much.

Fox's style is to set up a good staff and let the co-ordinators do their jobs and not micromanage everything. Then create a positive atmosphere and mentality among the players and create a team that plays for each other. He's not a massive presence on game days, most of his work comes in the days and weeks beforehand. Someone like a Belicheck for example would be a vastly bigger loss, or the Saints with Payton last year.

That said, you never know. Fingers crossed that between JDR and Manning we have enough to see us through.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker
 
DaFace's Avatar
 
Yep.

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Thornton
Posts: 395

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Outsider viewpoint: no.

If anything, I could see the defense slipping a smidge since JDR will be spread a little more thin, but I doubt there's a really noticeable drop.

Fox is more of a manager than a gameday coach, and he's already got the structure in place for the team even if he's not there.
DaFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
rolandftw
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,230

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I think it hurts the defense. Doubt the offense changes much.
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

There shouldn't be much of a difference. If there is, it'd just be used as an excuse.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,153
Default

What the hell am I reading here?

Fox routinely self scouts all of the team from the previous game and gives input to both the offense and defense, scouts the opposition and provides input to those units as well, hell, he sat down with McCoy/Gase and went through the entire offense when Tebow couldn't run it and made the decision to completely change it to more option oriented plays and that's just the stuff he's made public.

You think position coaches decided all by themselves to promote Webster over Carter? Give Malik Jackson more playing time and deactivate Hillman for Anderson? Make the changes at OL?

There's a reason why Fox teams (even without JDR) are usually very effective on defense, OL, and the running game because that's what Fox knows. Otherwise you're just saying he lucked into great coordinators for more than decade and let them run the show while he worked on his golf game.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
What the hell am I reading here?

Fox routinely self scouts all of the team from the previous game and gives input to both the offense and defense, scouts the opposition and provides input to those units as well, hell, he sat down with McCoy/Gase and went through the entire offense when Tebow couldn't run it and made the decision to completely change it to more option oriented plays and that's just the stuff he's made public.

You think position coaches decided all by themselves to promote Webster over Carter? Give Malik Jackson more playing time and deactivate Hillman for Anderson? Make the changes at OL?

There's a reason why Fox teams (even without JDR) are usually very effective on defense, OL, and the running game because that's what Fox knows. Otherwise you're just saying he lucked into great coordinators for more than decade and let them run the show while he worked on his golf game.
No, its more that its halfway through the season and the routine is already set. Its the 2nd year in said routine for all these guys and there's pretty good vet leadership on the team. It SHOULDN'T make a huge difference. It's still Fox's show, i just assume it runs on its own now.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,665
Default

We will find out in four days.


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
No, its more that its halfway through the season and the routine is already set. Its the 2nd year in said routine for all these guys and there's pretty good vet leadership on the team. It SHOULDN'T make a huge difference. It's still Fox's show, i just assume it runs on its own now.
So all the weekly input, self/scouting, personnel/live decisions on gameday happen by routine as well?

I'm not saying Fox is great coach or an average coach. I just don't believe all the work that he puts in somehow goes away with him not there.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,372

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

More like 11 days this one was scouted and game planned before Foxy fell ill.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Greatspirits's Avatar
 
"Little Von!"

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Park Hill
Posts: 767

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev
Default

I'm starting to worry a bit, at first I thought no big deal JDR has the experience, but the more I think about it the more I think we under-estimate what Fox brings to this team.
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,508

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Hopefully Fox being out will have the same effect that the colts hc situation had on the colt's team last year. That is, the team plays better via being inspired to play better for Fox.

I do think the players really like Fox, FWIW.

That's the thing about Fox. while he is conservative, his players love him. He is the perfect example of a player's coach.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default


Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer
 
Jesterhole's Avatar
 
Ridin' the McFailboat...

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,672
Default

The biggest difference is that Fox could handle all the BS minutia of being a head coach while allowing his coordinators to focus on their jobs. JDR will be heavily distracted this week, and with him making the D calls, I'm a bit worried.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
So all the weekly input, self/scouting, personnel/live decisions on gameday happen by routine as well?

I'm not saying Fox is great coach or an average coach. I just don't believe all the work that he puts in somehow goes away with him not there.
I think the coach's most important job is to set the culture for the team, which he has done already. Obviously his input might be missed, but there are very capable people to pick up the slack while he's gone, especially on such a vet team.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Absolutely. This is a huge change. The questions is will it be change for the better or worse?
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
rmsanger
Elway > PFM
 
rmsanger's Avatar
 
Another one bites the dust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Yes
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,263

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Absolutely. This is a huge change. The questions is will it be change for the better or worse?
Yeah count me in the "things will be different" column. And you will see immediate differences and differences overtime as Fox's influence fades as the weeks go by and Del Rio's imprint is felt on the team.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #21
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 9,275

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I think fox will be around in a few weeks. Not on the sidelines but he will be around during the weeks

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...surgery/22991/
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #22
BMORE
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,860

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I was waiting for someone to say we would be better off. Especially with all the Fox hate here.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
Que
Gettin' some
 
Que's Avatar
 
Just the tip

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 1,231
Default

We will find out.

/end thread
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,372

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
I think fox will be around in a few weeks. Not on the sidelines but he will be around during the weeks

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...surgery/22991/
Ya these days they want you up and moving as soon as possible. Which is a good thing.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

The concern is over Fox's longterm health, not whether or not the Broncos' road to the playoffs gets an extra bump :/
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Denver Broncos