The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default "Myths" Letter from NFL and Troy Vincent

So, I get stuff from the NFL and lo and behold I got this from the NFL this morning. This is a letter from Troy Vincent trying to explain away some "Myths" the NFL claims to be propagated by poor media coverage and opportunistic journalism.

Just thought I would share it here since we have had a lot of these conversations here in the past:

Original email: There are many myths about professional football players. We all have heard them repeated, especially when an athlete makes off-the-field headlines.

Check out the "The Top Five Myths About NFL Players" to give you some insight about the real story beneath the helmets and uniforms.

Contrary to longstanding lore, national studies indicate that former NFL players live long productive lives, own homes, have strong marriages and successful jobs after football. You also might be surprised to know that the NFL provides a vast array of services and programs to assist its players in attaining success throughout their athletic life cycle – including before they make it to the professional ranks, during their playing career, the transition away from playing, and throughout the next phases of their lives.

NFL Player Engagement employs a unique peer to peer model where former players are trained and teamed with industry experts to lead outreach to players before, during and after their time with the NFL. We provide degree completion, ongoing career counseling and professional development outreach that includes boot camps in broadcasting, culinary arts, movie making, franchising, and music. Through internships and job shadows, former players can explore corporate environments or the business of football.

In the NFL family, every life is valued, loved and honored. Our Total Wellness platform takes a holistic approach to family safety, mental and physical health, and transition. It includes an independent national crisis intervention hotline as well as local partners in each NFL city providing assistance in education, prevention and intervention. These are resources available to the entire NFL family.

As a former player, I, my family, and my peers want you to know that most of us do well after our NFL experience. It takes shared responsibility and a commitment to accountability to take advantage of the opportunities provided by the NFL. We are not defined by the myths, but rather by our personal responsibility as honorable men and good citizens.

For more information about the resources made available through NFLPE, go to www.nflplayerengagement.com.

5 Myths link: http://e.nfl.com/PS!5zyYtHOz7/oFBgIA...c2OTIKBUZBQ1RT
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I need to evaluate the University of Michigan Study used here to dispute a lot of these myths, but I thought it would be a good starting point to discuss some of the things people have brought to bear in arguments over the years...

Here is the link to the study if you care: http://www.ns.umich.edu/Releases/200...inalReport.pdf

Last edited by Mediator12; 11-06-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

FACT: I want to be an NFL player
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Yeah this is a good exposé on how journalism skews things to fit their sensationalism.

Example “78% of all NFL players are divorced, bankrupt or unemployed two years
after leaving the NFL.

I bet most of that number is the unemployed. And that's because many players take a few years off after they play. I mean two years is nothing. Many also have investments and don't need to work right away. But putting all those groups into one vat suggests they are all of those things and paints a picture of a bunch of destitute players out in the cold with no one to love them. It's bullcrap.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
“Most pros never finish college, and the majority do little to prepare for the day when they venture into the real world.”
Source: Business Week
  • Fact: The overall college graduation rate of about 80 percent among retired NFL players is much higher than the general population rate of 30 percent.
    Source: University of Michigan Study of Retired NFL Players
Why do they compare the NFL graduation rate to the general population? NFL players come from college so why not compare the 80% graduation rate to the graduation rate of males who at least attend some college?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
mennonite
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

That is the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. I'd point out it does not operate in other arenas of life. In ordinary life, if somebody consistently exaggerates or lies to you, you soon discount everything they say. In court, there is the legal doctrine of falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus, which means untruthful in one part, untruthful in all. But when it comes to the media, we believe against evidence that it is probably worth our time to read other parts of the paper. When, in fact, it almost certainly isn't. The only possible explanation for our behavior is amnesia.”

― Michael Crichton
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

FACT: 72% of NFL players have trophy wives

lol, just seemed logical
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Why do they compare the NFL graduation rate to the general population? NFL players come from college so why not compare the 80% graduation rate to the graduation rate of males who at least attend some college?
Yep, I think 80% is a failure rate when 100% of the players come from college ranks.

Plus it doesn't break down the types of degrees that are being acquired.

Also what is the % of players that move on to graduate, doctorate, or even master level course work? I bet that number falls like a rock.

There is no excuse for 99.9% of these guys not to graduate from college considering they are most likely getting a free ride.

Thanks for the info though Med!
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
46% of americans who start college never finish.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...ollege/255226/
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
46% of americans who start college never finish.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...ollege/255226/
Thanks for finding that! So the answer to my question (I didn't check for m/f split though) is 80% versus 54%.

Now we further ask how many people graduate when they are on any kind of scholarship vs the NFL's 80% rate
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Well, that is still going to come back very skewed. The NFL is NOT representative in the least of the general population. The general population rate for males is below 56% but also think about the general population of the NFL and how many of these kids are first time college attendees from their entire families. Most are the first time college graduates as well.

I would have to do more research to see the demographics pulled out legitimately, but that's still a lot better than the media attempts to sensationalize!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

That is the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. I'd point out it does not operate in other arenas of life. In ordinary life, if somebody consistently exaggerates or lies to you, you soon discount everything they say. In court, there is the legal doctrine of falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus, which means untruthful in one part, untruthful in all. But when it comes to the media, we believe against evidence that it is probably worth our time to read other parts of the paper. When, in fact, it almost certainly isn't. The only possible explanation for our behavior is amnesia.”

― Michael Crichton
The funny thing is this applies to 90% or more of the posts on football as well....