The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #26
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
I personally think this sucks.

We're down one HC who the players really liked playing for and respected. And now we're down a quality DC because he's moved to HC.

I would have preferred Studsville be promoted to interim HC if only to deal with all the media bullcrap so Gase/JDR can continue to focus on their units.
Granted, im not in the broncos locker room, but this seems weird to me. Youre basically asserting the head coach does nothing more than throw challenge flags and make speeches.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #27
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:

We're down one HC who the players really liked playing for and respected. And now we're down a quality DC because he's moved to HC.

I would have preferred Studsville be promoted to interim HC if only to deal with all the media bullcrap so Gase/JDR can continue to focus on their units.
This is why Elway didn't rush to name anyone interim coach, he evaluated everything and felt that JDR is the best option. He has the most head coaching experience and has been to the playoffs before. We don't know if Fox will be back this season, and I'd rather go with JDR for the stretch run.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #28
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:

I would have preferred Studesville be promoted to interim HC if only to deal with all the media bullcrap so Gase/JDR can continue to focus on their units.
I proposed the same thing (Studesville) for the same reasons.

You better hope Kaylore doesn't read your post.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #29
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Put the best guy available in the most important position on the coaching staff. I feel that the best guy available is JDR.

We'll get a better idea if there will be significant changes to the on-field product over the next couple weeks, starting on Sunday. Unless I see a significant drop in on-field productivity that can be directly related to coaching, I'm not going to fret over who wears which coaching hat.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #30
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Granted, im not in the broncos locker room, but this seems weird to me. Youre basically asserting the head coach does nothing more than throw challenge flags and make speeches.
They most honestly believe that. I think Baja made a comment that we just need someone to clap for them as they exit the field. Basically a big happy mascot. And Studesville is happy, so yay!

I know the perception around the league was that John Fox didn't do anything, but that just isn't true. Fox laid out the general things he wanted to see from the game plans that he let his coordinators develop. He'd also focus on areas of concern and make those priorities in practice. He helped keep an eye on morale, workload and also made sure the players focused on the right things. He is very good at doing press conferences and not giving ammo to the opponents. He is a very good head coach and his players LOVE him.

Being a head coach during a playoff run is a lot more intense than being one after you're out of the playoffs and want to give the fans something to cheer for. I would say if JDR was our permanent head coach and he was going to claim to continue to call the defense then I'd be concerned. But he's not. And we need an experienced hand to take us into the postseason - and maybe beyond. A rookie head coach isn't the right choice for these circumstances.

JDR is experienced, defensive minded and was a former player. He has the respect of the team and the perspective of years at the position to keep things even.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #31
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
They most honestly believe that. I think Baja made a comment that we just need someone to clap for them as they exit the field. Basically a big happy mascot. And Studesville is happy, so yay!

I know the perception around the league was that John Fox didn't do anything, but that just isn't true. Fox laid out the general things he wanted to see from the game plans that he let his coordinators develop. He'd also focus on areas of concern and make those priorities in practice. He helped keep an eye on morale, workload and also made sure the players focused on the right things. He is very good at doing press conferences and not giving ammo to the opponents. He is a very good head coach and his players LOVE him.

Being a head coach during a playoff run is a lot more intense than being one after you're out of the playoffs and want to give the fans something to cheer for. I would say if JDR was our permanent head coach and he was going to claim to continue to call the defense then I'd be concerned. But he's not. And we need an experienced hand to take us into the postseason - and maybe beyond. A rookie head coach isn't the right choice for these circumstances.

JDR is experienced, defensive minded and was a former player. He has the respect of the team and the perspective of years at the position to keep things even.
All I can say is get well and hurry back Foxy.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #32
yerner
Ring of Famer

Empty Leather Jacket.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #33
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
This isn't good.

The amount of time the HC has to spend with media, roster transactions, game day decisions, and so on really take up a lot of time. All time taken away from actually looking at the defense.
not sure if he already has during the bye week or they go hard during this week. Let us hope he did a lot of prep work last week.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Seems like there was a big deal made out of a simple choice, no?
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #35
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

$10 says Fox still wants to be able to 'Buzz' Del Rio if he wants a play challenged.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #36
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

turning into the Indi from last year situation.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #37
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I proposed the same thing (Studesville) for the same reasons.

You better hope Kaylore doesn't read your post.
A head coach of a American Football team has got to be, fairly easily, the most difficult coaching job of any major sport. More players, a larger staff to oversee, multiple aspects of the game beyond offense and defense. You don't put a lesser qualified person in that position because you don't want to over complicate the more qualified person's job.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #38
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

JDL .... remember 10 and 2 on the steering wheel and everying will be ok.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #39
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
A head coach of a American Football team has got to be, fairly easily, the most difficult coaching job of any major sport. More players, a larger staff to oversee, multiple aspects of the game beyond offense and defense. You don't put a lesser qualified person in that position because you don't want to over complicate the more qualified person's job.
Oh I didn't know we were talking about an American football team
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #40
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Oh I didn't know we were talking about an American football team
Hey man I could have been talking about soccer.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #41
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Good point, sorry
Old 11-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #43
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

We are lucky that Elway and Fox built such a great staff. Couldn't think of another coach I'd rather have to fill in for Fox while he recovers.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #44
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
No, I'm saying that's only what we visibly see the HC doing which is only 5% of the work he does.

Fox has already said that he does a lot of self scouting/scouting of the opposition and the point is that it's a full time job.

I don't think for a minute JDR can do the work for two people equally effectively.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #45
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

I agree, and that's why I think it could have a major impact to our defense.

I guess the question really comes down to this: Is JDR still going to be a full time DC and do the bare minimum as a head coach (injury reports, pressers, gameday decisions) or is he going to be a full time head coach and do a little bit of the defensive responsibilities as well.

I know as a fan, I would have preferred Studesville as HC and then hiring a consultant/part time hire as RBs coach because I don't know which Jack Del Rio we have now. The guy who's committed to being a DC for this team or the guy who's going to take this opportunity to be a full time HC to promote his future prospects in this league.

Ask yourself this question: If you were JDR, which one would you choose?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #46
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I agree, and that's why I think it could have a major impact to our defense.

I guess the question really comes down to this: Is JDR still going to be a full time DC and do the bare minimum as a head coach (injury reports, pressers, gameday decisions) or is he going to be a full time head coach and do a little bit of the defensive responsibilities as well.

I know as a fan, I would have preferred Studesville as HC and then hiring a consultant/part time hire as RBs coach because I don't know which Jack Del Rio we have now. The guy who's committed to being a DC for this team or the guy who's going to take this opportunity to be a full time HC to promote his future prospects in this league.

WTF does that even mean?

As a Broncos fan, would you rather have a guy with 9 years head coaching experience or a guy with three games thats never once coordinated an offense or a defense?

Plus, if you were jack del rio, with all that experience, would you love being chosen over a guy with virtually none? On a similar note, if you were Studs, how would you feel about giving orders to a guy like Del Rio.

There was only one choice here.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #47
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
No, I'm saying that's only what we visibly see the HC doing which is only 5% of the work he does.

Fox has already said that he does a lot of self scouting/scouting of the opposition and the point is that it's a full time job.

I don't think for a minute JDR can do the work for two people equally effectively.
He doesnt have to do all that. He just has to keep the train moving.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #48
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
The guy who's committed to being a DC for this team or the guy who's going to take this opportunity to be a full time HC to promote his future prospects in this league.

He'll still focus on the D IMO. If not, and the defense really craps the bed, it won't matter how good a job he does at the head coaching stuff during the week. We'll lose and he'll be blamed for it.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #49
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
WTF does that even mean?

As a Broncos fan, would you rather have a guy with 9 years head coaching experience or a guy with three games thats never once coordinated an offense or a defense?
I would rather have a fully committed DC because the defense is the weakest link in this team. Like it or not that's JDR.

Quote:
Plus, if you were jack del rio, with all that experience, would you love being chosen over a guy with virtually none? On a similar note, if you were Studs, how would you feel about giving orders to a guy like Del Rio.
Feel? Who the hell cares about what Studs/JDR feel when we've got a head coach about to undergo surgery with the playoffs on the line? How's the even relevant?

How would John Elway feel if JDR leaves Denver this offseason to be HC somewhere else? See how irrelevant that argument is?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #50
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
He'll still focus on the D IMO. If not, and the defense really craps the bed, it won't matter how good a job he does at the head coaching stuff during the week.
Hopefully so.