The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #101
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Wow, hate to hear this. Hope he has a successful recovery.
Classy.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #102
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Studesville would be the best choice to replace Fox.He is closest to Fox in demeanor. Best to keep the two coordinators where they are besides whom ever is chosen will be given a several week audition for a head coaching gig next season. No sense greasing the runway for either coordinator to leave. Studesville would rock the boat the least. Hopefully Fox will be back in a month but I doubt it.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #103
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Studesville would be the best choice to replace Fox.He is closest to Fox in demeanor. Best to keep the two coordinators where they are besides whom ever is chosen will be given a several week audition for a head coaching gig next season. No sense greasing the runway for either coordinator to leave. Studesville would rock the boat the least. Hopefully Fox will be back in a month but I doubt it.
I couldn't disagree more. The criterion "whoever is like Fox regardless of ability or experience" is nonsensical. Del Rio has been a head coach for several years and has league wide respect. He knows the ups and downs of a season and can manage players and coaches. Studesville was an interim head coach for three games, and likely only to fulfill the Rooney rule.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #104
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

It will be interesting to see how things change as far as in game decision making. Anyone else feel like Gase is a little trigger happy? I do. I think he wants to put up 70 a game. Hes got that look in his eyes. Will he have more free reign with the king out of the castle?

However, IIRC, JDR is a pretty conservative head coach, like Fox. Perhaps JDR being so innately defensive minded has the opposite effect on our gameplan. We run so many plays at such a quick rate, this gives the other team more opportunities on offense and makes it that much harder for our d. Maybe JDR dials it back a bit. We'll see.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #105
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
I would think that Del Rio will assume the duties. With the O line still in flux Studesville is needed there. Del Rio has some good and experienced assistants that can get up in the box while he is on the sidelines. He will know if things are not going right from the snap pics and can change play calls ( or the assistant) if they are screwing up.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #106
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Don't like Del Rio needing to concentrate on HC duties too. Would almost rather have Gase do it and let Peyton run the offense. Only kind of joking.
Don't worry about it, this is a vet team with very solid coaching and Elway at the helm.. He may well handle some of Foxy's duties too that are not strictly pertaining to on field coaching, which no doubt will be handled without a blip by JDR/Gase/Manning/Champ and Woody.

The team will redouble its focus around winning for Fox too and Fox will be working by phone, email and text with the players and other coaches within a couple weeks as well while recouping at home.. He's not going to be far out of the loop at all.

Depends on type of valve surgery too how quickly he might make it back to the sidelines during games? Whether a newer and still a bit experimental and less invasive TAVR percutaneous aortic valve job is used (if he qualifies for this approach??) or if he'll get the more standard chest cracker with bypass pump?

There are pros and cons with each approach, and still some real question marks with the TAVR percutaneous approach which involves essentially 'squishing' a tightly folded up bovine derived replacement aortic valve through a circuitous route in the femoral artery system from the groin area up to access the aortic valve area on a still beating heart where they then deploy the new valve and essentially press it in place over the opening of the original equipment valve with the aid of an inflatable balloon that helps in placing and seating the valve over the original diseased valve.

I'd still feel a bit more comfortable with the more tried and true surgical method for Foxy, but that's a longer recovery too.

Last edited by Hulamau; 11-02-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #107
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
I would think that Del Rio will assume the duties. With the O line still in flux Studesville is needed there. Del Rio has some good and experienced assistants that can get up in the box while he is on the sidelines. He will know if things are not going right from the snap pics and can change play calls ( or the assistant) if they are screwing up.
Oh I agree I think it will be JDR too I just would prefer Studesville.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #108
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I couldn't disagree more. The criterion "whoever is like Fox regardless of ability or experience" is nonsensical. Del Rio has been a head coach for several years and has league wide respect. He knows the ups and downs of a season and can manage players and coaches. Studesville was an interim head coach for three games, and likely only to fulfill the Rooney rule.
I agree but I also agree with the sentiment of not putting JDR in the spotlight for a potential HC gig.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #109
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
Classy.
Fox is a SDSU guy so he's always been a favorite of mine.

But that's not the real reason. I don't understand the hate some fans have for another human being just because they play for a different city.

Regarding one of the posts above asking what Fox does since he doesn't call the plays, losing your head coach is a huge deal. He does everything that holds the team together. Either the team falls apart like the Saints did or they rally behind like the Colts did last year. I don't know the stats but I would think teams tend to fall apart more than they do better.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #110
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
I really don't think the HC is that crucial to this team they way it is set up but most likely they will chose JDR. I just think Studesville is a better choice for reasons given previously.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #111
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

wow, get well Fox.

JDR can handle the next few weeks
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #112
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Seen this before in "Major League"...

This is the Broncos Lou Brown moment. Get well Fox.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #113
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Oh I agree I think it will be JDR too I just would prefer Studesville.
Studesville wasn't that great as HC. No thanks
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #114
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Fox is a SDSU guy so he's always been a favorite of mine.

But that's not the real reason. I don't understand the hate some fans have for another human being just because they play for a different city.

Regarding one of the posts above asking what Fox does since he doesn't call the plays, losing your head coach is a huge deal. He does everything that holds the team together. Either the team falls apart like the Saints did or they rally behind like the Colts did last year. I don't know the stats but I would think teams tend to fall apart more than they do better.
Depends on the leadership of the team I imagine. It's a vet team lead by Peyton manning. I'd be shocked if they become unglued cause of this.

As for the saints, Sean Payton calls plays and controls the offense. They also lost their d coordinator. That was a mess. Del rio has been a head coach for a while in this league. There's zero reason the broncos should falter. Zero
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #115
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Studesville wasn't that great as HC. No thanks
It was a very different team, we didn't have PFM.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #116
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I really don't think the HC is that crucial to this team they way it is set up but most likely they will chose JDR. I just think Studesville is a better choice for reasons given previously.
This is nonsensical. It's del rio. He's the one with the most experience, and we aren't just trying to kill time here. Studs is a position coach. That's it
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #117
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default UPDATE: John Fox will undergo surgery

Broncos coach John Fox needs heart operation

Denver AP - Denver Broncos coach John Fox needs heart surgery and will miss several weeks, team spokesman Patrick Smyth confirmed Saturday night.

The 58-year-old Fox will undergo aortic valve replacement surgery early next week at a hospital in Charlotte, N.C.

The Broncos did not immediately name an interim head coach.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos...6280--nfl.html

Interim coach is a no-brainer of course.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #118
TD4HOF
Perennial Pro-bowler

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bowlen’s Legacy

Welcome to several hours ago. Healthy thread exists.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #119
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

People seem to forget with the Saints that there was an interim interim HC for 6 weeks until the interim came off suspension. It was also a situation where the team was immersed in a scandal. The Broncos and Colts are a much different situation than the Saints.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #120
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I was hoping the original thread would have changed the title, but this works.

Prayers are with Fox as he undergoes his surgery. Many things are much more important than Football.

And the way other teams scalp ours for head coaches, I am confident the ones we have one staff can get it done.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #121
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Like JDR isn't already considered as a HC candidate? That's why this move makes the most sense. No one really knows what the other coaches can do now they still won't. And what kind of slight would it be if JDR wasn't picked? He probably wouldn't be thrilled. Nothing like pissing off the most qualified candidate by going in another direction during a team crisis.

And the idea that Studesville is the most like Fox doesn't make any sense since one is a RB coach and the other is a defensive background coach. How are they at all similar? Del Rio's background is defense, and he's about as dry at press conferences as Fox, so I don't see how Studesville is a better match. Really, matching the head coach is irrelevant. You want the best guy regardless of personality. Players will adjust.

Your only point I could "kind of" see, and your only point that actually speaks to what will help the team most right now, is that it may divide Del Rio's contributions on defense. He'll lean on his position coaches.

Last edited by Kaylore; 11-03-2013 at 12:03 AM..
Old 11-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #122
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Next man up, and that man is JDR, as far as I am concerned. We'll be just fine. I can see this team rallying around Fox and actually having more focus in practice.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #123
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Prayers for John Fox.

This season is possibly one of the strangest I have ever seen.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #124
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Depends on the leadership of the team I imagine. It's a vet team lead by Peyton manning. I'd be shocked if they become unglued cause of this.

As for the saints, Sean Payton calls plays and controls the offense. They also lost their d coordinator. That was a mess. Del rio has been a head coach for a while in this league. There's zero reason the broncos should falter. Zero
I never thought much of Del Rio as a head coach but yeah, all he has to do is not screw up, but we'll see. You never know how a team will react to something like this.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #125
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:

League wide respect? That's not entirely accurate.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote