The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
jpmclane
Just Drafted

Default Manning

Rarely ever post - but after watching the game last night, I really think this game was very tough for Manning from a mental aspect. I understand he has to put the past behind him, but he is only human. To go back to the place were all your memories are, in a stadium that you help built, in front of the fans that adored you, in a city where you became a man, I just think the emotions were tough to handle. I don't think he had any animosity to go back and want to defeat the team that let him go, but rather a mentality that he wanted to end his career there and sad that it didn't happen that way. I think the emotions of the game and moment were too much. After the game he alluded to the fact that he was glad it was over. I cannot think of another instance where a player of Manning's caliber, went back and played where he played his entire career. I know Favre went back, but I think the situation was a little different with Favre's attitude and perception. Not quite sure if Montana ever went back to SF.

I do feel that this was a hurdle that is over with, and moving forward I don't think it will affect his play. I think the team will be fine.
jpmclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Denver was still in the game. The OJ whiff and HIllman fumbling killed Denver.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Denver was still in the game. The OJ whiff and HIllman fumbling killed Denver.
We win the game if hillman doesnt fumble. Kinda hard to win a game when you lose the turnover battle 1-4.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster

Yeah, Manning was emotionally rattled. I really felt like pass protection (or lack thereof) is a better explanation for his struggles in the 2nd & 3rd quarters though. Our patchwork O-line couldn't hold up too well against one of the best pass rushers in the game right now. He started clicking much better in the 4th, but Indy was probably playing a bit more prevent style D since they were up by 2 scores. I'll have to go back and watch the all-22 film to be sure though.

Overall, yeah, emotions played a role but not as much as our injuries on both sides of the ball did, IMO.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think if Manning let his emotions effect his play, we got the wrong guy.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmclane View Post
Rarely ever post - but after watching the game last night, I really think this game was very tough for Manning from a mental aspect. I understand he has to put the past behind him, but he is only human. To go back to the place were all your memories are, in a stadium that you help built, in front of the fans that adored you, in a city where you became a man, I just think the emotions were tough to handle. I don't think he had any animosity to go back and want to defeat the team that let him go, but rather a mentality that he wanted to end his career there and sad that it didn't happen that way. I think the emotions of the game and moment were too much. After the game he alluded to the fact that he was glad it was over. I cannot think of another instance where a player of Manning's caliber, went back and played where he played his entire career. I know Favre went back, but I think the situation was a little different with Favre's attitude and perception. Not quite sure if Montana ever went back to SF.

I do feel that this was a hurdle that is over with, and moving forward I don't think it will affect his play. I think the team will be fine.
An honest moment from Manning. Somehow he believes next time will be easier and was relieved it was over

Can't remember ever Manning saying he was relieved after a loss.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
I think if Manning let his emotions effect his play, we got the wrong guy.
I dunno, I think this is BS. We were up 14-10. If it was the "emotions" of the game, it woulda affected him at the beginning, not the end. I'd say the constant pressure was more a factor.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Pro Bowler

4!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna

It looked like he was grimacing on the sideline when he was tossing the ball around. Injury may have had something to do with it. Crap o-line play didnt help either.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I dunno, I think this is BS. We were up 14-10. If it was the "emotions" of the game, it woulda affected him at the beginning, not the end. I'd say the constant pressure was more a factor.
Yea, I don't necessarily agree they did. I was just saying if they did as OP surmised it would reflect poorly
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Any info on Mannings health? Hearing he's hurt?
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

manning's the same as he ever was. when he gets hit (and he did get hit a lot last night), he gets jittery in the pocket. when he gets jittery, he becomes inaccurate and his throws float. there was a lot of action at his feet, which would make any pocket qb restless. bottom line is that we must a)correct the protection and b)the wr's need to win their one on one battles. welker was the only one that seemed to be playing with intensity.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
manning's the same as he ever was. when he gets hit (and he did get hit a lot last night), he gets jittery in the pocket. when he gets jittery, he becomes inaccurate and his throws float. there was a lot of action at his feet, which would make any pocket qb restless. bottom line is that we must a)correct the protection and b)the wr's need to win their one on one battles. welker was the only one that seemed to be playing with intensity.
Someone said on another board that he's injured. Haven't seen it here so I don't think that's true.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmclane View Post

It was tough on him and you could see in the 1st half especially he was way off compared to how he normally plays. In the first half he threw more passes that were uncatchable than he had in the previous 6 games combined I am pretty sure, and often in single coverage he would just overthrow or underthrow his guy. It is perfectly understandable that it went down that way, it is not easy to go back to a place you loved for so long and called home, playing against guys you have known for 10+ years.

Unfortunately this does follow the trend that Manning does tend to buckle in games with extremely high pressure.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Any info on Mannings health? Hearing he's hurt?
Hearing that where??
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Someone said on another board that he's injured. Haven't seen it here so I don't think that's true.

The hits he took didn't seem to injure him necessarily, but they surely did something to his psyche and internal clock.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Hearing that where??
On a message board on fox. Can't find anything though so it would seem they were talking out of their ass

One thing that worries me was the amount of pressure on this game was kinda like pressure a playoff game would give. Wanted to see Manning rise over the pressure but its hard when the Oline doesn't do their job.

Even with all the mistakes TOs peanalties 3 and outs etc they produced over 30. Hollidays fumble IMO was the game changer. 7 easy points and a loss of possession there after the defense did their job stopping them. No surprised we lost by 6 after giving away 7

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 10-21-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Also curious about his health. Manning had a subpar game and was under pressure a LOT. And the hits that Indy got on him were consistently high, hitting his arm during throws. I wouldn't be surprised that he has a slight shoulder tear.

I also think that the crowd noise was a factor, and that he was not able to get his signals to the line for blocks and stunts. Too many times the line was not able to pick up the d linemen.

Emotion also did seem to be a factor....he was not as sharp and did not do nearly as much presnap adjusting as is usual. His throws were also later than normal.

Not sure why he kept trying to throw to Moreno so much early on....it wasn't working and the routes were way too short to get first downs. That was a big factor in so many of the 3 and outs.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
On a message board on fox. Can't find anything though so it would seem they were talking out of their ass
Ok, so you heard something on a random message board and you're using that to state: "I'm hearing he's injured"

COOL.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
The hits he took didn't seem to injure him necessarily, but they surely did something to his psyche and internal clock.
Did you see the hit on Cutler, looked innocent enough but apparently it turned his penis into a vagina by the way he was walking to the locker room.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Not sure why he kept trying to throw to Moreno so much early on....it wasn't working and the routes were way too short to get first downs. That was a big factor in so many of the 3 and outs.
That's what they were giving us. Most of the downfield attempts were forced. This will be how most teams try to defend us from here on out, KC in particular.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Ok, so you heard something on a random message board and you're using that to state: "I'm hearing he's injured"

COOL.
No. I asked a question. It looks worded wrong though as I should've said "anyone hearing he's hurt" instead of "hearing he's hurt" but the ? Is after both sentences not a .
Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

COOL.
I heard the same thing on the light rail going to the Wings-
Avs game!
Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #23
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Did you see the hit on Cutler, looked innocent enough but apparently it turned his penis into a vagina by the way he was walking to the locker room.
Sucks for Cutler in a contract year
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #24
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Like I said in the GDT, I would be suprised if he got his bell rung just a tad last night on thet Mathis hit, but to me it seemed like Mannings machanics we're off, he made some throws off balance, just not the same... maybe it was the pressure, but even the throws he got off clean he looked screwed up. I want to say he threw a few of those deeper balls into double coverag of his back foot.. weird.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan

PFM / Kopitar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound

Im thankful PM came out of the game in one piece , he took some wicked shots. He looked like he didnt sleep much the night before seeing him in warm ups with bags under his eyes. Heck he was leading the team for a come back , before Hillman took that hope away. I hope he is okay anyways. We havent had the best of luck with injuries.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote