The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Announcements, Features and Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #176
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,350

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I honestly had no idea that the happy birthday girl was a porn star and that her name was Melissa Midwest.

I'm more conservative than most I would say, and I actually think overly strict rules of "no girls pics" probably isn't a great way to go. I am not for porn or objectification of women, but I don't believe going nuclear on all girl pictures makes a whole lot of sense for a football board. Just my thoughts.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #177
Shananahan
Custom User Title
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,204
Default

I'm still very much confused by the need some people seem to have to post half-naked women all over this place in some threads, or to include anything similar in their avatar.

Do those people still have swimsuit magazine posters hanging above their beds?
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #178
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,489

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I honestly had no idea that the happy birthday girl was a porn star and that her name was Melissa Midwest.

I'm more conservative than most I would say, and I actually think overly strict rules of "no girls pics" probably isn't a great way to go. I am not for porn or objectification of women, but I don't believe going nuclear on all girl pictures makes a whole lot of sense for a football board. Just my thoughts.
I would agree. I think I probably over corrected. Our server fees aren't trivial, especially in this economy, and as the tone of the thread title shows, after having two appeals denied, I probably overreacted.

At this point, however, I just want to give a good effort in giving an appeal one last push. I don't think it is things like avatars and cheerleaders that the algorithms are catching. It's more like the risque stuff like images of a porn star two pictures before she loses all her clothes, and other such questionable images. The stuff we want to filter out anyway.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #179
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 30,310

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I honestly had no idea that the happy birthday girl was a porn star and that her name was Melissa Midwest.

I'm more conservative than most I would say, and I actually think overly strict rules of "no girls pics" probably isn't a great way to go. I am not for porn or objectification of women, but I don't believe going nuclear on all girl pictures makes a whole lot of sense for a football board. Just my thoughts.
The problem is that Google will not tell you what is being violated and where. They are notorious for shutting people down and not telling them the exact offense. They say it is part of their secret sauce and can't give that away. It's BS, they just can and do wield their mighty sword.

So TJ has to be strict so that he can get back to the revenue only Google can bring.

I also find it funny that people are demanding TJ show his financials. He isn't a non-profit. He also doesn't charge anyone to come here. So why in the hell are people demanding revenue streams reports.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #180
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,250
Default

I think the people that wanted to see what it costs to run the place wanted to try and help and wanted to contribute to keep a community they enjoy and have been involved in for a long time as free as possible from corporate bull****.

It's clear that Google kicks in enough cash around here to call the shots. Nothing wrong with making a profit, that's what our country is all about. Google pays the bills and then some. Google is the Mane's sugar daddy and that's the way it is.

A lot of people are making this all about wondering why people are upset about not being able to post pics of semi-nude girls....and they are missing the greater overall point.

The overall point is that many posters oppose this corporate bull**** infringing their rules on a community they have been involved in for a long time. They don't like someone coming in and setting the rules for them....someone whose never participated in one thread on this board. The Orange Mane is simply a small site amongst their thousands and thousands of larger or smaller sites to them....a line amongst thousands of other lines.

So sorry if some people seem upset and want to try and maintain some say in a community that they have spent countless hours in over the years.

It's not about not getting to post pics of chicks, which sucks, but it's sucks more knowing whose calling the shots around here. I liked it more when I thought Taco and some mods were calling the shots, as they were members of the community. Not some Google bull**** laden blanket rules.

**** it, I'm probably just overreacting as I don't like to see **** like this happen and have rules enforced by some lame corporation....there's just something about it that stinks that I don't like and it sticks in my craw.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 10-26-2013 at 01:20 AM..
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #181
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,139
Default

Na, I am pretty much only upset about not seeing semi naked hotties. Without my avy I find I am less motivated to post.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #182
Shananahan
Custom User Title
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
So sorry if some people seem upset and want to try and maintain some say in a community that they have spent countless hours in over the years.

It's not about not getting to post pics of chicks, which sucks, but it's sucks more knowing whose calling the shots around here. I liked it more when I thought Taco and some mods were calling the shots, as they were members of the community. Not some Google bull**** laden blanket rules.

**** it, I'm probably just overreacting as I don't like to see **** like this happen and have rules enforced by some lame corporation....there's just something about it that stinks that I don't like and it sticks in my craw.
Google isn't dictating what we can and cannot have here, dude. They're dictating what we can and cannot have here if we want to receive money from them. I'm supremely anti-bigasscorporation, but it seems to me like you're indeed overreacting. They're not setting the rules, they're setting their terms.

I don't understand any of the resistance to this, honestly. It's so black-and-white. You'd turn down dependable, constant revenue simply for the ability to post a bunch of pictures that might be titillating to a twelve-year old boy?

Google: "You can have our money, but we're not going to give it to you if there are a bunch of what we have deemed to be indecent photographs on the board."
You: "You're not the boss of us! We can do what we want! Those cheesy half-naked women are essential to our community and our ability to have an enjoyable message board about sports and other topics!"

I don't get it.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #183
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,747

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I'm still very much confused by the need some people seem to have to post half-naked women all over this place in some threads, or to include anything similar in their avatar.

Do those people still have swimsuit magazine posters hanging above their beds?
No just Farrah Fawcett. I'm only 52 after all.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #184
colorado jones
Pro Bowler
 
colorado jones's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 620

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I honestly had no idea that the happy birthday girl was a porn star and that her name was Melissa Midwest.
This surprises no one.
colorado jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #185
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Google isn't dictating what we can and cannot have here, dude. They're dictating what we can and cannot have here if we want to receive money from them. I'm supremely anti-bigasscorporation, but it seems to me like you're indeed overreacting. They're not setting the rules, they're setting their terms.

I don't understand any of the resistance to this, honestly. It's so black-and-white. You'd turn down dependable, constant revenue simply for the ability to post a bunch of pictures that might be titillating to a twelve-year old boy?

Google: "You can have our money, but we're not going to give it to you if there are a bunch of what we have deemed to be indecent photographs on the board."
You: "You're not the boss of us! We can do what we want! Those cheesy half-naked women are essential to our community and our ability to have an enjoyable message board about sports and other topics!"

I don't get it.
Same thoughts I had.

Don't see how this can possibly be a big deal at all.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #186
BFDD
Team America **** YEAH!
 
BFDD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Franklin TN
Posts: 342

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Atwater
Default

I like hot chicks.

I stop and look at said hot chicks in avatars, and posts.

I READ the Omane because I like to waste time.

When I'm not sitting in my underwear and drinking beer, I'll send TJ a little money. Or maybe I'll make a beer and dedicate it to the Omane, donate a portion of the proceeds.
BFDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #187
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 30,310

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFDD View Post
I like hot chicks.

I stop and look at said hot chicks in avatars, and posts.

I READ the Omane because I like to waste time.

When I'm not sitting in my underwear and drinking beer, I'll send TJ a little money. Or maybe I'll make a beer and dedicate it to the Omane, donate a portion of the proceeds.
Wait, you make and sell beer? As a hobby, small business, or for a larger company.

Details, might want to pick your brain!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #188
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,653
Default

So...I cant have Archer in his "got dick?" tshirt anymore?

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE!

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #189
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Wait, you make and sell beer? As a hobby, small business, or for a larger company.

Details, might want to pick your brain!
If I recall correctly, BFDD (who also can't help himself from being a great guy) runs his own small business for it.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #190
Meck77
.
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,733
Default

Most fund raisers usually have a target. How does a community know if it's pulling it's weight via donations if there is no goal? I think that's what people are saying. I think this is the reason why the donation model hasn't worked all that well here in the past but just an opinion and I really don't know. If google clicks is where the party is at so be it. Nobody was suggesting TJ lay out his tax returns!

Like anything else in life people value something more when they have skin in the game but maybe that doesn't apply to messageboards and it sounds like TJ isn't comfortable going that route.

If there are other options beyond google all the better. I really don't give a rats ass about the girlie pics so much as the principal of a huge internet giant pushing around what was once a kinda wild community that had watermocks, that had a little edge, that WASN'T like most official team message boards.

Last edited by Meck77; 10-27-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #191
Shananahan
Custom User Title
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,204
Default

Again: there is no huge internet giant pushing this board around.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #192
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,139
Default

Will this one work? It is a girl but not lewd.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #193
Guess Who
Rookie
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,405

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Will this one work? It is a girl but not lewd.
no good she is naked.... I can tell.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #194
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry
 
BowlenBall's Avatar
 
2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 5,264

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Will this one work? It is a girl but not lewd.
Your opinion of lewdness is immaterial.

It's what Google thinks that REALLY matters.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #195
Shananahan
Custom User Title
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,204
Default

I NEED SEXY PHOTOS OF WOMEN TO EXPRESS MYSELF!
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #196
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection
 
Natedogg's Avatar
 
You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Narcville, USA
Posts: 2,126

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Most fund raisers usually have a target. How does a community know if it's pulling it's weight via donations if there is no goal? I think that's what people are saying. I think this is the reason why the donation model hasn't worked all that well here in the past but just an opinion and I really don't know. If google clicks is where the party is at so be it. Nobody was suggesting TJ lay out his tax returns!

Like anything else in life people value something more when they have skin in the game but maybe that doesn't apply to messageboards and it sounds like TJ isn't comfortable going that route.

If there are other options beyond google all the better. I really don't give a rats ass about the girlie pics so much as the principal of a huge internet giant pushing around what was once a kinda wild community that had watermocks, that had a little edge, that WASN'T like most official team message boards.
Let's dial up Tatum Cell!!!!
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #197
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 10,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I would be loath to delete our archives except as an absolute last resort...
Deleting our archives would be like crapping on the Constitution.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #198
rolandftw
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,183

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I appreciate that people have ideas, but I have to say that I'm surprised that there are people who think that I should publicly disclose the financials of this place. That would be insane. I can't imagine anyone I know doing such a thing.
Speaking for myself, I had no interest in knowing the financials of this website. Other people were throwing out ideas, so I thought I'd mention the donate/membership stuff, because I know it is something that has helped out other sports boards in the past.

Don't know if it would help this board out or not, because I have nothing to compare it to. Even if you threw out the financials (which I wasn't advising or asking for), I wouldn't know how that would compare to those other boards that have used that tactic
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #199
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 30,310

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
If I recall correctly, BFDD (who also can't help himself from being a great guy) runs his own small business for it.
That is cool, good for him. I have a friend starting in that endeavor and have considered it myself. Thanks for chiming in.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #200
rolandftw
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,183

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Most fund raisers usually have a target. How does a community know if it's pulling it's weight via donations if there is no goal? I think that's what people are saying. I think this is the reason why the donation model hasn't worked all that well here in the past but just an opinion and I really don't know. If google clicks is where the party is at so be it. Nobody was suggesting TJ lay out his tax returns!
Don't know the thought process of everyone else that suggested donations, but for myself I wasn't trying to say that donations can replace google ad sense or other ad revenue.

Was saying that the donations could help cover some of the cost of the board, while also allowing a Club Member board for people to post "girlie pictures." It is my understanding that with Google adsense, you can choose what sections of your message board where you want ads to display. Is that incorrect? Is there anything stopping a message board from having ads on every forum, but one? And would that one forum, not receiving any money from google, really be something google would object to?
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Denver Broncos