The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #51
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Sure, everyone does it, Pass rushers, QBs, running backs.

That's why it's important for players to perform well in clutch situations against the best competition. I know Denver has played a weak schedule so far but if people going to be touting his sack numbers, I think you have to take a closer look at how he got them.
I can't disagree with where you are going totally. I think however, he's doing exactly what Denver envisioned him doing and that is making plays when the chance to make a play arises.

He's not a game-changing linebacker, but if he's taking advantage of opportunities and making plays when he should then who cares? He was signed to be complimentary and has been playing above that level with Von being out (which the FO didn't know about when Phillips was signed). I honestly am very pleased with how he's played overall.

Then again, I would say that about our defense as a whole with the massive amount of key injuries they've sustained. I know I didn't think they'd be 6-0 right now as a team whether it was shootout style or otherwise.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #52
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Sure, everyone does it, Pass rushers, QBs, running backs.

That's why it's important for players to perform well in clutch situations against the best competition. I know Denver has played a weak schedule so far but if people going to be touting his sack numbers, I think you have to take a closer look at how he got them.
Bro, Phillips is a BDP award winner.

You can't argue with that.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #53
BroncsCheer
Scrappy, cerebral poster

There is no dark side on the moon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny T

Dumervil, who I loved as a Bronco, completely disappeared in the freezer bowl game last January.

I can't forgive that.

Phillips consistently played well against Denver when he was a sparkler, and I'm glad he's in orange now.
BroncsCheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #54
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
I'm the Phillips hater and I've been paying attention to him when I've watched Bronco games.

Two of his sacks come against a rookie RT in the first game of the season after Oher went out.

One sack was in garbage time against Philly.

He had a coverage sack against Dallas and the second one came when Romo ran out of the pocket right into his arms due to pressure from the other side (Ayers?).

To me, his sacks have not been very impressive. The most impressive one to me was his coverage sack. Not saying he has played bad (for a backup he's living up to expectations I would say) but he kind of did the same thing the past couple of years in San Diego with his sacks either coming in garbage time or inferior opposition.

I haven't been paying attention to Dumervil. It seems like he's doing okay but not anything spectacular.

Doom got his sacks in bunches against lower tier tackles .

Disappeared at times as well.

Don't see much if any dropoff to Phillips...........

ONE thing I DON'T SEE IS THIS GAPING HOLE TO RUN THROUGH

WHEN DOOM RUNS UP FIELD AND THE TACKLE SIMPLY SHOVES HIM OUT
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #55
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsCheer View Post
Dumervil, who I loved as a Bronco, completely disappeared in the freezer bowl game last January.

I can't forgive that.
So did Von. I'm sure he'll be heartbroken.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #56
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

I can't forgive that.

Phillips consistently played well against Denver when he was a sparkler, and I'm glad he's in orange now.
So did Miller, can you forgive that?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #57
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:

I can't forgive that.

Exactly - and I also can't get past the idea that DUMERVILLE DIDN'T WANT TO BE HERE. I also think he gets held ALL the time and the officals miss it more than on most pass rushers - maybe because he's short
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #58
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
The last thing this team needs is someone who is a huge liability against the fun! That can make a season seem eternal. We want guys who are assets to the fun!
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #59
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Bring back Phillips again for next year, get a healthy Quanterus, get another PRS in the draft to go with Von and hopefully a developing Sly Williams and pass rush dominance will ensue.

Last edited by Requiem; 10-17-2013 at 03:18 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #60
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
how many a phillips sacks have been coverage sacks? Doom brought the heat on a consistent basis. Can't say the same about phillips. Should have paid the man. Anyone out there not seeing our inability to rush the passer? Yeah... Von is back now but still...
they say QB hurries is a about as big as a sack. and doom brought those in bunches he was my favorite current bronco. however he aint here no more. hes dead to me
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #61
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
Exactly - and I also can't get past the idea that DUMERVILLE DIDN'T WANT TO BE HERE. I also think he gets held ALL the time and the officals miss it more than on most pass rushers - maybe because he's short
I don't know what it is about his name and why people cant spell it obvioulsly you are not a fan of his ... Dumervil.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #62
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Dumervil's numbers would have been better if he wasn't tackled in the backfield on every rush situation. He had a ton of pressures and was held just about as many times. some of yall have short memories.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #63
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
, I think you have to take a closer look at how he got them.
1. Against Baltimore, Phillips had 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble.
2. Against Dallas, Phillips 'rassled Romo to the ground on the last drive leading to an INT on the next play.
3. Against Jacksonville, Phillips tipped 2 balls, leading to 2 INT's, and the Broncos won by 2 scores.

Face it. Phillips is a difference maker with the Broncos, just like he was with the Chargers.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #64
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

16 games of football is hardly a large enough sample size to draw conclusions, let alone 6. Jesus people, chill!

One question I have: How much are we paying Elvis in dead money? Because you can basically add that to Phillips' salary to get the true cost of letting Elvis go and replacing him with Phillips.

Another thing: Why are you reporting only sack numbers and tackles? We need much more than that if we are actually going to evaluate a players performance, especially if its only over a 6 game span. Hurries, hits, forced fumbles, passes deflected, all that.

Another thing to remember, Elvis was a team captain. Phillips may not be causing problems but I don't think he's the leader type.

Yes, we get it, you couldn't wait to chime in here with your "I told you so" but let's save that until the season is over. You still don't think it's too early to draw conclusions? What if Dumervil goes on an absolute tear and ends up with 16 to 18 sacks and Phillips finishes around 10?

IN SUMMARY: It's way too early for this thread, and even if it were not, your claims lack substantial evidence.

/it
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #65
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I can't forgive that.

The only players on defense who didn't disappear that day were Woodyard and Chris Harris. I would still love to have Doom even though he played like trash that day.
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #66
yerner
Ring of Famer

Honestly, we probably could have used them both. I think Phillips has played really well, but I don't see him as troubling to block as Doom. Just his odd size and speed caused fits for teams. Phillips does other stuff better though.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #67
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Honestly, we probably could have used them both. I think Phillips has played really well, but I don't see him as troubling to block as Doom. Just his odd size and speed caused fits for teams. Phillips does other stuff better though.
Phillips does do a few things better. The things we need are what doom did best. Teams don't run the ball on us a whole lot due to having to catch up. just my observation though.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #68
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Just think that whenever Doom is on our team, we would always be a finesse defense.

JDR seemed to want to go in a much different direction.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #69
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
1. Against Baltimore, Phillips had 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble.
2. Against Dallas, Phillips 'rassled Romo to the ground on the last drive leading to an INT on the next play.
3. Against Jacksonville, Phillips tipped 2 balls, leading to 2 INT's, and the Broncos won by 2 scores.

Face it. Phillips is a difference maker with the Broncos, just like he was with the Chargers.
Against Baltimore, did nothing against Oher. Got his sacks against a rookie right tackle who had to come in after Oher got injured. You can't choose who you line up against but you have to admit, he did nothing until the rookie came in.

Against Dallas, the credit should go to the pressure from the other side (Ayers) because that player is the one who forced Romo out of the pocket and basically right into Phillips arms. Phillips didn't beat his man there, whoever was in that spot could have gotten that sack.

Jacksonville, I'll give him full credit for making those plays. He's always been great at tipping passes.
boltaneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #70
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Against Baltimore, did nothing against Oher. Got his sacks against a rookie right tackle who had to come in after Oher got injured. You can't choose who you line up against but you have to admit, he did nothing until the rookie came in.

Against Dallas, the credit should go to the pressure from the other side (Ayers) because that player is the one who forced Romo out of the pocket and basically right into Phillips arms. Phillips didn't beat his man there, whoever was in that spot could have gotten that sack.

Jacksonville, I'll give him full credit for making those plays. He's always been great at tipping passes.
He's been pretty solid against the run and has done a decent job rushing the passer. Are you really gonna nitpick everything he's done? Doom used to have a rep around here for only getting sacks when the game was out of reach too.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #71
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Against Baltimore, did nothing against Oher.
Neither did Dumervil or Miller.

I'm happy with Phillips play so far. He's made every bit of the $525k that the Broncos have payed him.

I'll also say the same for Vasquez.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #72
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2win View Post
Just think that whenever Doom is on our team, we would always be a finesse defense.

JDR seemed to want to go in a much different direction.
The Broncos tried to retain Doom so I don't think they wanted to "go in a different direction."

Also, is this finesse?

BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #73
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

lol he is getting paid barely above the league minimum and has 5.5 sacks

What is the problem here?

He wasnt brought in to replace Doom, he was brought in to help out and give us more $ to re-sign guys like Clady and Woodyard

I have no complaints
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #74
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

The change of scenery seems to have done him some good. I can't even name the Chargers' outside linebackers right now so hey.. wish we would have kept him.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #75
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

The thread title should be:

Dumervil vs. Welker/Phillips