The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #51
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Because they are basically the 2008 Broncos?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #52
redrage
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It's surprising you say this. You guys have decent run game to keep other teams off the field. You don't turn the ball over to give Manning more chances. You sack the QB. I think the Chiefs match up very well if the game goes the way you would like.

I guess the flip side is if Denver can score moderately well, then Alex Smith isn't going to scare anyone trying to catch up.
The offensive line isn't really blocking well. Normally that leads to turnovers, but if anyone is going to criticize Smith for playing conservative, then they better damn well acknowledge he has done a stellar job not turning the ball over with the kind of pressure he's been getting.

Yeah the run game is good, but Reid doesn't commit to it unless he needs a 4:00 offense late. A little better play by the O-line and some healthy TEs would do this team wonders.

As for Denver, I can't imagine a more jacked-up crowd and team than Denver will be if KC comes to town 9-0. These KC players just don't have experience handling that atmosphere. KC is already going to get the opponent's attention being undefeated. It really wouldn't surprise me to see them stumble next week against Houston. Watt and Foster are are going to be a handful if the Texan coaching staff doesn't screw it up.

Denver is just a more experienced, polished team. There's nothing wrong in admitting that while hoping KC wins.

Last edited by redrage; 10-14-2013 at 06:52 PM..
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #53
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Well, we share the weakest SOS in the league thus far at .286 if I recall correctly. Obviously Denver & KC have done it much differently, Broncos with an amazing offense. KC with a amazing defense. That being said, Denver hasn't been close to healthy on defense thus far, missing 2-5 starters a majority of the season. KC has been healthy and their offense has been utterly embarrassing. Alex Smith threw for less than 50% completion yesterday and generally looked awful throwing any passes that were not a single read screen to Jamal Charles or a check down route to the TE or RB out of the backfield. They are really going to struggle to create points in the post-season with Smith at QB. Their most effective plays are draws and screens. They don't have any threat in the middle of the field at TE, and their WR's are not very good. Bowe is a good possession WR, but they are paying him like one of the best WR's in the league (5 yrs, $58 million), and he struggles to consistently get separation. Alex Smith will not turn the ball over, and he also will not throw balls unless a WR has a lot of separation.

Generally their schedule has been among the easiest in the league and it won't change over the next few weeks:

Houston at home
Cleveland at home
@ Buffalo
BYE
@ Denver
San Diego at home
Denver at home
@ Washington
@ Oakland
Indy at home
@ San Diego

That schedule has playoffs written all over it. They will probably be undefeated when we meet in Mile High. Playing Denver 2 times in 3 weeks might be extremely tough on them though.
I agree and a lot of fans have never seen defensive power as playoff bound. Why, I don't know.

But I also agree it's Alex Smith, the offense as a whole, has earned them some lack of respect. As a Bronco fan it's a matter of them being the Chiefs who really haven't done anything memorable since 1970 despite their record. See 1997.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #54
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Because they are basically the 2008 Broncos?
That's the Redskins - yards and FGs aplenty!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #55
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Kansas City...

It's easier to have an off day on offense, like Denver did this past sunday. We still put up 35, and most weeks that will beat any team. If Kansas City's premier unit has an off day, the Chiefs lose. That is a ton of pressure to place on a defense.

I also tend to think KC is being overlooked because of the Broncos. Offense is sexy to the general public. Defense is only sexy to football nerds.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #56
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

seriosuly kaylore? no ****s were given
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #57
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

The Chiefs also benefited greatly playing teams at the right time.
Playing the Jags who were starting Gabbert and without Blackmon
Playing the Titans without Locker
Potentially playing the Texans without Schaub

They haven't look impressive at all on offense really, and I doubt the defense will keep up their pace, just like I doubt the offense for the Broncos will keep up their pace.

It will be interesting to see what the Texans do. They were actually able to do decent on offense, heck Foster had like 200 total yards. The injury to Schaub and penalties/fumbles killed their shots.

Also, the Browns could be interesting. They actually have a good defense, and some playmakers on offense. QB sucks though...
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #58
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
seriosuly kaylore? no ****s were given
Three pages says maybe a few were.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #59
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Three pages says maybe a few were.
you probably booed the broncos at half time yesterday...turn in your elway jersey! kc lover!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #60
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Potentially playing the Texans without Schaub
I think a lot of Texans fans would say that Schaub not playing would be an upgrade.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #61
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

F.U.K.C.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #62
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I kind of have had the same feeling
Couldn't get past this, sorry.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #63
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
I think a lot of Texans fans would say that Schaub not playing would be an upgrade.
Except Yates is terrible. Schaub is a decent QB at times at least.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:27 AM   #64
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Except Yates is terrible. Schaub is a decent QB at times at least.
Yates reminds me of Gannon in the KC days.

He doesn't look great, have a cannon, or even have one aspect of his game that's impressive but the team plays well for him.

I'm not saying he's going to end up like Gannon but I think the ability to have a team behind you means everything...
Rausch 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #65
Rausch 2.0
Angry Drunken German

Angry Drunken German

Adopt-a-Bronco:
McD

I think it's more shocking that the AFCW went from worst division in the NFL to perhaps the best in 1 year...
Rausch 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #66
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch 2.0 View Post
I think it's more shocking that the AFCW went from worst division in the NFL to perhaps the best in 1 year...
we will see....beating up on the NFC East isn't looking that impressive.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #67
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

What BPC said, their Offense cannot attack downfield. Charles is their MVP, no one else is contributing. I did see Smith finally throw a back shoulder route to Bowe who caught it but other than that it is short drag routes, sprint throws to back in the flat, bunch formations close to LOS, WR screens at the LOS, throws to Charles well behind the LOS.

Smith pulls it down and runs just as much as Tebow used to, you can tell he has no faith in his OL to protect him on the deeper routes.

People keep saying that kFc is the best team to match up against us which is hysterical.

kFc has a great pass rush but that is about all they can do. Houston has set the edge better out of the 3-4 where he is wider than he was in the 4-3 but he fails to get off blocks in the run game and Hali disappears in games. They start getting their sacks late in games when bad QB's have to throw down field. I believe Manning can mitigate their pass rush and if KM shows up and plays like he did yesterday with a drop or 2 and a 2.8 ypc we could have trouble with them. But we have 3 great WR's and a TE who has taken the league by storm. Manning can get the ball out and slow their rush. Mix in some tough running and we win this 38 -24 if we turn it over 3 times.

kFc's D has been getting a ton of turnovers off that pressure, the balls get tipped and Berry is there to scoop it up.

If we have Woody and Ayers back for that game, they will not be able to run on us and Woodyard and Trevathan will make sure handled tackles and cover those short passes well. The key to stopping the chefs is to tackle well and limit gains on those short routes, take away the edge and limit their run gains then pressure Smith when he does take a longer drop and force him to make bad decisions.

We should have our Coverage issues addressed when Woodyard and Von are back and we get healthy on D.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #68
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
KC isn't getting respect because they were 2-14 last year and people don't realize why they were 2-14 last year.

1. QB play. Not just ineffectual play, but turnovers. They did all they could not to throw the ball in the Baltimore game last year and should have beat them had Cassel not fumbled on QB sneak at the goal line of all things. Not one QB left from last season's misery of Cassel-Quinn-Stanzi.

2. Much better secondary depth this year. Secondary depth gives this team the ability to attack with their front seven. Sean Smith and Marcus Cooper were HUGE additions at CB as well as Abdullah and Demps at safety. Add to that Berry is actually playing terrific on the season, particularly against TEs.

Smith is and will be Mr. check down. It was pointed out in an earlier post that KC hasn't been down by more than 2 scores in any game this season. Well if your defense is playing lights out, why try to force the ball to receivers who can't separate? Be patient , the time will come.

While KC hasn't been bit by the injury bug like Denver, their TEs have been ravaged, which Ina short passing offense is death. A healthy Fasano and Kelce would help tremendously. Alas, Kelce just went on IR and Fasano has been out since week 1. McGrath, who is a scrub, has played alright, but even he has gotten dinged.

Personally, I expect Denver to sweep KC. I also expect a couple more losses, but a playoff berth, and a possible wildcard win (with this D, they should be in most games) would be pretty sweet following a 2-14 season.
Seems like you have pretty realistic expectations for your team. Personally, I see KC going 11-5 give or take a game and a WC team. I could also see KC grinding out a 17-13 type win against a Cincinnati caliber in the playoffs. I just don't see KC having the firepower to go through Denver and NE on the road. Still a huge accomplishment and turn around.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #69
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
The key to stopping the chefs is to tackle well and limit gains on those short routes, take away the edge and limit their run gains then pressure Smith when he does take a longer drop and force him to make bad decisions.
More then that, I think QB containment is the key. Almost every Chiefs sustained scoring drive has at least one if not multiple Alex Smith scrambles for first downs. We need to do a good job of QB containment and force Smith to throw the ball.

The fumbles that we have are really the only thing I'd be concerned with. Denver needs to take care of the ball. If they do that, should be fine.
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #70
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Just like 2009 Broncos a team will play the queefs like the Ravens did that year. A team is going to sit on the short routes and stop the run. KC is too inept to win a game when the team doesn't turn the ball over and forces deep throws.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #71
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Let them enjoy an early success...
that would be wonderful.

Here's a stadium full of white, goatee'd people (and a juggalo) showing their reverence and respect for Native American culture.

Even if I grew up in Kansas and was a die-hard fan, I don't think I could go to a game without being embarrassed.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #72
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

There is no way I see the Chiefs hanging with the Broncos.

If they fall two scores down, it's likely over. That offense isn't built to play catchup.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #73
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
There is no way I see the Chiefs hanging with the Broncos.

If they fall two scores down, it's likely over. That offense isn't built to play catchup.
Plus Jamal Charles has blisters on his feet from too much work.

One of those bad boys pop at the wrong time and infected they go on an extended losing streak.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #74
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
Beating up on the NFC East isn't looking that impressive.
Agree as to the Giants obviously, but the Cowboys and Eagles are above average teams, the 3-3 Eagles have the #3 offense in the league ... and 2 of their 3 losses are to Denver and KC.

Broncos and chefs have 5 common opponents in 6 games (6th: us vs. Ravens, chefs vs. Titans), so the schedules have been even.

Honestly, I think their defense is for real. New coaching staffs, especially experienced ones, always seem to motivate underachievers like Poe and Jackson ... for awhile anyway. chefs are a mirror image of us, their defense is #1 by a wide margin, lead the league in sacks, interceptions and points allowed - 5 points fewer per game than #2, their LBs alone have 20 sacks already. That sounds tailor-made timing for our O-line, but I'm not that worried, Chris Kuper looked great this week, he might just save the day. Gotta decide where to put these guys, though ... I'm opposed to Vasquez at RT, he didn't sound too happy about playing there. How about Beadles at RT and Kuper at LG?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #75
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Agree as to the Giants obviously, but the Cowboys and Eagles are above average teams, the 3-3 Eagles have the #3 offense in the league ... and 2 of their 3 losses are to Denver and KC.

Broncos and chefs have 5 common opponents in 6 games (6th: us vs. Ravens, chefs vs. Titans), so the schedules have been even.

Honestly, I think their defense is for real. New coaching staffs, especially experienced ones, always seem to motivate underachievers like Poe and Jackson ... for awhile anyway. chefs are a mirror image of us, their defense is #1 by a wide margin, lead the league in sacks, interceptions and points allowed - 5 points fewer per game than #2, their LBs alone have 20 sacks already. That sounds tailor-made timing for our O-line, but I'm not that worried, Chris Kuper looked great this week, he might just save the day. Gotta decide where to put these guys, though ... I'm opposed to Vasquez at RT, he didn't sound too happy about playing there. How about Beadles at RT and Kuper at LG?
oh yeah, there is no doubt that their defense is awesome as can be in this era of the NFL (passing game, rules, etc)