The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #26
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I'd say it's the fashion of a lot of their victories. They are reminiscent of the Tebow streak and the Orton 6-0. When it seems like all the bounces go your way, but you really aren't dominating....it's normal to wonder what will happen when the magic wears off. In our case both those seasons it was being humbled painfully.
I was just about to say that.

Obviously they haven't yet played the better teams. They were so terrible a year ago you can't expect a 2-14 team to turn it around and be 13-3 the next year. They could end up winning 10 games and it's a good chance they make the playoffs.

We know their offense stinks. But this great defense of theirs, they haven't played any offensive powerhouses yet. We don't know just how real that defense is to be honest.

I give them props for winning they games on the schedule but unlike the Broncos, who went 13-3 last year, people can't trust the Chiefs yet because they sucked last year and this year so far they haven't played anybody really all that tough.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Andy Reid is a pretty good coach.

Do I win anything?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #28
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Their defense has been good. Their DE's can rush the passer, the DT's can anchor and hold point vs. the run. They can also push the pocket. Poe has developed nicely for them and Hali/Houston can get around the corners and take advantage of pockets collapsing. Hence their LB's are free to run wild and make tackles which they do a nice job of. Johnson has finely scratched his immense talent coming out of Texas over the past two years. That being said, I saw some ugly film from their secondary yesterday. Flowers was out which hurts them in the coverage department. He'll be dinged up for our games if he makes it back in the next month as well which will be tough for KC to compensate for. Berry has a penchant ability to rely on his athletic ability, take really poor, lazy angles which is what happened on Oakland's TD pass yesterday. The Raiders ran a simple slant, Berry took a poor angle and gave up 30 yds of green behind him and a TD. That film will be a nightmare heading into Denver which runs a lot of double moves, and screen fakes. There were numerous other plays open that Pryor just flat out missed against the Chief secondary which was wide open. This is nothing new. We've all seen first hand how Peyton will gash your secondary if there is any confusion. KC will have to be perfect in coverage and rushing the passer to keep us nexder 24-28 pts. With that being said, I have a lot more faith that our defense can keep them within the 10-20 range with Von and Champ back as they are so predictable on offense and lack many difference makers with the ball in their hands.

The recipe to beat KC is simple and one that Peyton Manning mastered a long time ago. Alex Smith will only be relevant as long as he has the duel threat of a running game, to open up PA & Screen Passes. See Denver Broncos circa 2003-2006 with Jake Plummer. Once you put them down 2 or 3 TD's and they have to make up ground quickly, Smith is going to get out of his comfort zone and throwing the ball to the other team. Look at his career as a whole... it's been a joke outside of the years that he plays game manager where his simple task is don't turn the ball over, rush for 100 yds as a team, keep it close and allow the defense to create turnovers and win the game.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

They deserve some respect, deserve skepticism also. They're playing well enough to beat bad teams, with the bonus of five defensive/ST TD's and a +9 TO differential.

But, their O has only scored 12 TD's in 6 games, add in 11 FG's and that's 117 Offensive pts. 19.5 ppg. Their OL is a little shaky, Smith has ran 37 times and been sacked 16 times.

They have a topnotch punter and placekicker, the defense is great. They can move the ball enough with short passes and Smith running, they've played well in the 4th quarter to pull away in close games.

They're a good team overall, right now it looks like they can hang with most teams in the League, but like most people I have to wonder when that weak offense will start costing them games.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #30
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I am sure most are viewing them similar to us in 2009

Great defense but awful offense lead by a dink dunk game manager(It is actually absurd how often Smith checks down. Like the majority of his passes are less than 3 yards)

Their defense is better than our's was so I doubt they flame out like we did

But if this run of their's leads to Smith getting an extension then utlimately it would end up being a blessing in disguise for the rest of the West
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #31
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Chiefs are the perfect team right now playing a horrible Strength of Schedule. It puts fans of the Chiefs rivals with the perfect excuse. If the Chiefs were 8-8 last season, they would probably get more respect but when you were one of the worst teams in the NFL, many will say SOS is the reason why they are 6-0. They are a good team but I don't think elite. They do deserve much respect. I hope we kicked them in their teeth and beat them by at least 17 but 13 at home would do nicely for us.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #32
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

They made Pryor look like the rookie he is. Kudos to their defense. Their front 7 scares me, but that's about it...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #33
edgemyster
Struggling Lurkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
However, there are already Chef fans who are drawing comparisons to the 2K Ravens. GTFO.
Some interesting defensive stats to add perspective - KC vs 2000 Ravens:

Points Allowed/Game (first 6 games)
2000 Ravens: 10.8
2013 Chiefs: 10.8

Interceptions:
2000 Ravens: 23
2013 Chiefs: 27 (on pace for the season - 1st)

Defensive Turnovers
2000 Ravens: 49
2013 Chiefs: 48 (on pace for the season - 1st)

Strength of Schedule
2000 Ravens: .428 (season)
2013 Chiefs: .440 (first 6 games)

Then finally:

Offensive Points/Game (first 6 games):
2000 Ravens: 21
2013 Chiefs: 25
edgemyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #34
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgemyster View Post

Interceptions:

Defensive Turnovers
Strength of Schedule

Then finally:

We'll see if those numbers hold up against Denver x 2, San Diego x 2 and Indy. I think @ Buffalo, @ Oakland and @ Washington are potential trap games as well. Bad teams, but tough venues (Shanny might be coaching for his job at that point.)

I have no doubt their defense is above average. 2K Ravens Elite? Get back to me when you shut down Manning, Rivers, and Luck.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #35
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
We'll see if those numbers hold up against Denver x 2, San Diego x 2 and Indy. I think @ Buffalo, @ Oakland and @ Washington are potential trap games as well. Bad teams, but tough venues (Shanny might be coaching for his job at that point.)

I have no doubt their defense is above average. 2K Ravens Elite? Get back to me when you shut down Manning, Rivers, and Luck.
2009 Denver Broncos
6-0
Allowed 11 points per game through those 1st 6 weeks
forced 12 turnovers
Including shutting down Rivers and Brady

Last edited by 2KBack; 10-14-2013 at 02:33 PM..
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #36
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
The kc defense scored me some heavy points in my ff league so there!
Haha, me too!
Greatspirits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #37
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Our schedule is easy, but I don't think anybody thought the Giants and Texans would be anywhere near as bad as they have been this year. Skins too.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #38
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
A guy I work next to is a Panthers fan. We were talking about how the games were going this weekend, etc. The Broncos of course came up and he was talking about how he fully expects the Chiefs to implode. I pointed out they have a very "portable" game that can play well in all kinds of conditions and their defense will keep them in a lot of games. He then says he just felt like the Chiefs were going be exposed eventually.

I kind of have had the same feeling in the back of my mind, but I had written it off as Bronco fan bias.

But then I was reading PFT this morning and some of comments, and then subsequent thumbs up or downs to those comments really surprised me. A lot of people think the Chiefs are a nice story but don't see them as for real.

Is this fair? Is it their easy schedule? Is it Alex Smith? I kind of feel like without an elite QB, you can't do much in the postseason. Or at least one that can score points. But is that a bias?

Do the Chiefs deserve more respect than they are getting? They are one of the last two unbeaten teams left!
Of course they get no respect, they have beaten the likes of the cowboys the eagles and the raiders - Oh wait!!!
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #39
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Interceptions:

Defensive Turnovers

Strength of Schedule

Then finally:

KC has benefitted from playing against some back up QBs too, if I'm not mistaken.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #40
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Um its a BRONCO BOARD
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #41
redrage
Perennial Pro-bowler

KC isn't getting respect because they were 2-14 last year and people don't realize why they were 2-14 last year.

1. QB play. Not just ineffectual play, but turnovers. They did all they could not to throw the ball in the Baltimore game last year and should have beat them had Cassel not fumbled on QB sneak at the goal line of all things. Not one QB left from last season's misery of Cassel-Quinn-Stanzi.

2. Much better secondary depth this year. Secondary depth gives this team the ability to attack with their front seven. Sean Smith and Marcus Cooper were HUGE additions at CB as well as Abdullah and Demps at safety. Add to that Berry is actually playing terrific on the season, particularly against TEs.

Smith is and will be Mr. check down. It was pointed out in an earlier post that KC hasn't been down by more than 2 scores in any game this season. Well if your defense is playing lights out, why try to force the ball to receivers who can't separate? Be patient , the time will come.

While KC hasn't been bit by the injury bug like Denver, their TEs have been ravaged, which Ina short passing offense is death. A healthy Fasano and Kelce would help tremendously. Alas, Kelce just went on IR and Fasano has been out since week 1. McGrath, who is a scrub, has played alright, but even he has gotten dinged.

Personally, I expect Denver to sweep KC. I also expect a couple more losses, but a playoff berth, and a possible wildcard win (with this D, they should be in most games) would be pretty sweet following a 2-14 season.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #42
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Our schedule is easy, but I don't think anybody thought the Giants and Texans would be anywhere near as bad as they have been this year. Skins too.
I agree, I don't think anyone expected the NFC East to suck that much monkey balls or the Texans to collapse as completely as they have. A bit of luck too with Locker missing the game against the Titans.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #43
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

They are out scheming people right now. As the season goes on the qb position becomes so much more important to making the tough plays that decide games. They are going to come back to earth but I dont see anyway th4wy don't win 11 games minimum.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #44
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

2000 Ravens comparisons is a joke. Didn't that team have 3 shutouts at least?
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #45
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Let them enjoy an early success...
Attached Images

Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #46
Ingame
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Berry has a penchant ability to rely on his athletic ability, take really poor, lazy angles which is what happened on Oakland's TD pass yesterday. The Raiders ran a simple slant, Berry took a poor angle and gave up 30 yds of green behind him and a TD. That film will be a nightmare heading into Denver which runs a lot of double moves, and screen fakes.
That wasn't Berry, that was Quinton Demps. Berry was up on the line, the announcers screwed that up.
Ingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #47
Ingame
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Interceptions:

Defensive Turnovers

Strength of Schedule

Then finally:

4 more sacks and they will equal Baltimores season total of 35
Ingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #48
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

because they are a 9-7, 10-6 type talent team playing pretty solid.

But they will flame out 1st round of playoffs. That's what they are and there is nothing wrong with that considering the clown organization **** show they are trying to recover from.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #49
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I dunno ... something's for real there. They've played the same teams we have, and they lead the lead the league in sacks, interceptions and points allowed. We better get an O-line in place before we face that.

We don't play 'em for another month ... then twice in three weeks. Weird.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #50
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Personally, I expect Denver to sweep KC. I also expect a couple more losses, but a playoff berth, and a possible wildcard win (with this D, they should be in most games) would be pretty sweet following a 2-14 season.
It's surprising you say this. You guys have decent run game to keep other teams off the field. You don't turn the ball over to give Manning more chances. You sack the QB. I think the Chiefs match up very well if the game goes the way you would like.

I guess the flip side is if Denver can score moderately well, then Alex Smith isn't going to scare anyone trying to catch up.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote