The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Why aren't the Chiefs getting more respect?

A guy I work next to is a Panthers fan. We were talking about how the games were going this weekend, etc. The Broncos of course came up and he was talking about how he fully expects the Chiefs to implode. I pointed out they have a very "portable" game that can play well in all kinds of conditions and their defense will keep them in a lot of games. He then says he just felt like the Chiefs were going be exposed eventually.

I kind of have had the same feeling in the back of my mind, but I had written it off as Bronco fan bias.

But then I was reading PFT this morning and some of comments, and then subsequent thumbs up or downs to those comments really surprised me. A lot of people think the Chiefs are a nice story but don't see them as for real.

Is this fair? Is it their easy schedule? Is it Alex Smith? I kind of feel like without an elite QB, you can't do much in the postseason. Or at least one that can score points. But is that a bias?

Do the Chiefs deserve more respect than they are getting? They are one of the last two unbeaten teams left!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
A guy I work next to is a Panthers fan. We were talking about how the games were going this weekend, etc. The Broncos of course came up and he was talking about how he fully expects the Chiefs to implode. I pointed out they have a very "portable" game that can play well in all kinds of conditions and their defense will keep them in a lot of games. He then says he just felt like the Chiefs were going be exposed eventually.

I kind of have had the same feeling in the back of my mind, but I had written it off as Bronco fan bias.

But then I was reading PFT this morning and some of comments, and then subsequent thumbs up or downs to those comments really surprised me. A lot of people think the Chiefs are a nice story but don't see them as for real.

Is this fair? Is it their easy schedule? Is it Alex Smith? I kind of feel like without an elite QB, you can't do much in the postseason. Or at least one that can score points. But is that a bias?

Do the Chiefs deserve more respect than they are getting? They are one of the last two unbeaten teams left!
I actually think the are getting the respect they deserve and the skepticism they deserve. They haven't played anyone yet (cept a Dallas team that was wildly inconsistent that game) and they havent been down by more than a TD. They have a portable game plan, but they need for things to keep going their way to win games. Once they start playing better teams, and things don't, are you that confident they can win games when they are forced to play out of their comfort zone?

I think thats why people continue to say they'll beat up on inferior teams but probably will have trouble with the better ones that can take them off their game plan.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Because they suck?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

I'd say it's the fashion of a lot of their victories. They are reminiscent of the Tebow streak and the Orton 6-0. When it seems like all the bounces go your way, but you really aren't dominating....it's normal to wonder what will happen when the magic wears off. In our case both those seasons it was being humbled painfully.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

A turd is still a turd, even if you spray paint it gold, or red in this case.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Barnwell compared them to the 2011 Niners... I think its a fair comparison so far.

Their Defense looks great.....but how long can it hold up if they play in a game where they need the offense to something...
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Because they suck?
.......End Thread .......
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Once they start playing better teams,
So basically us? We're the only team on their schedule left who has a winning record.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I think it is a combination of factors. They were very bad last year and until they beat a good team people will not think they are for real, we all remember what happened a few years ago when they rode a super easy schedule to 10-6 and got curbstomped in the playoffs.

As of right now it is not easy to say if their defense is so good because they have played bad teams (they have) or if their defense is so good it makes teams look bad. Until that has been resolved (it will be when they play Broncos, Chargers, Broncos in that order after their bye week). Right now I think there is every possibility they could go 9-0 by the bye week, but they are at risk of going 2-5 the rest of the way.

Right now I would rather play the Chiefs than the Saints, Seahawks, Patriots or Colts.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
So basically us? We're the only team on their schedule left who has a winning record.
Well, whats the ultimate conversation we're having? Is it: Are the chiefs good? Or: Are the chiefs contenders?

If its the latter, then they'll obviously have to play more good teams. If the conversation is, can the chiefs be 12-4, then sure, they play a ****load of ****.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Barnwell compared them to the 2011 Niners... I think its a fair comparison so far.

Their Defense looks great.....but how long can it hold up if they play in a game where they need the offense to something...
They can't put points on the board. Bottom line.

They played some team and had 5 turn overs go there way and managed 14 points off them and I believe 7 of that came from the D.

They Suck.
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Two words: Alex Smith

They're just not an exciting team to watch. While their defense is playing really well, there isn't that big superstar on there to get excited about either.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Well, we share the weakest SOS in the league thus far at .286 if I recall correctly. Obviously Denver & KC have done it much differently, Broncos with an amazing offense. KC with a amazing defense. That being said, Denver hasn't been close to healthy on defense thus far, missing 2-5 starters a majority of the season. KC has been healthy and their offense has been utterly embarrassing. Alex Smith threw for less than 50% completion yesterday and generally looked awful throwing any passes that were not a single read screen to Jamal Charles or a check down route to the TE or RB out of the backfield. They are really going to struggle to create points in the post-season with Smith at QB. Their most effective plays are draws and screens. They don't have any threat in the middle of the field at TE, and their WR's are not very good. Bowe is a good possession WR, but they are paying him like one of the best WR's in the league (5 yrs, $58 million), and he struggles to consistently get separation. Alex Smith will not turn the ball over, and he also will not throw balls unless a WR has a lot of separation.

Generally their schedule has been among the easiest in the league and it won't change over the next few weeks:

Houston at home
Cleveland at home
@ Buffalo
BYE
@ Denver
San Diego at home
Denver at home
@ Washington
@ Oakland
Indy at home
@ San Diego

That schedule has playoffs written all over it. They will probably be undefeated when we meet in Mile High. Playing Denver 2 times in 3 weeks might be extremely tough on them though.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Two words: Alex Smith

They're just not an exciting team to watch. While their defense is playing really well, there isn't that big superstar on there to get excited about either.
Sheepstud will be here soon with Charles' spooge on his mouth to tell you what's what...
Old 10-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Everything I've seen is hailing them as the "one team that can beat the Broncos" and calling Andy Reid Coach of The Year (which he very well might get/deserve).

As far as any skepticism, I assume that comes from the fact that they only had 2 wins a year ago and people just bank on that. That, and the fact that they are in the same division w/the team and player making all the headlines this year.

Either way, I think you'll see them get a lot of love this week now that they are one of only two undefeated teams remaining and have a schedule that could easily take them to 9-0.

Or....the Texans beat them this week and everything in the world is as it should be once again
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

They deserve some respect. Their defense is scary good. They are probably going to be 9-0 going into the Denver game. But I think most people know that if your QB is as bad as Alex Smith, it is going to be hard to win playoff games. Also, there is the fact that they are likely to face four backup QB's in that stretch (not including Gabbert, who is worse then a backup QB). The only competent QB that they have faced is Tony Romo.

They will struggle against Top 10 teams, but they really only have 3 of those games on the schedule. I think at this point, it's probably realistic to expect at least 11-12 wins from them.
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Sheepstud will be here soon with Charles' spooge on his mouth to tell you what's what...
Charles is a good player. He has overcome the CJ2K 2.0 stigma so I gotta give him that. But you need a quarterback who can make plays in this league. I don't conidier Flacco an elite QB but even he stepped it up last year when it mattered. Alex Smith has never done that and I don't think anyone believes he can do it.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
their offense has been utterly embarrassing. Alex Smith threw for less than 50% completion yesterday and generally looked awful throwing any passes that were not a single read screen to Jamal Charles or a check down route to the TE or RB out of the backfield. They are really going to struggle to create points in the post-season with Smith at QB. Their most effective plays are draws and screens. They don't have any threat in the middle of the field at TE, and their WR's are not very good. Bowe is a good possession WR, but they are paying him like one of the best WR's in the league (5 yrs, $58 million), and he struggles to consistently get separation. Alex Smith will not turn the ball over, and he also will not throw balls unless a WR has a lot of separation.
This is the most correct characterization of the Chiefs offense I've ever read. Basically it's throw everything to Jamal Charles and hand off to Charles and then on third down throw to Avery. Once in a blue moon throw to Dwayne Bowe, the most overpaid piece of crap in the league.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Takeaway/Giveaway Differential +9 (1.5/g), 1st

seems this stat is greatly benefiting them as well. Going to be a tough team to beat IMO.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Their defense is legit. They can generate pressure with only a defensive front and overall their front 7 is very fast and athletic sideline to sideline. I was wrong about Poe. Dude has been pretty dominant in the games I've seen. However, there are already Chef fans who are drawing comparisons to the 2K Ravens. GTFO. Teams with good and elite QB play are going to expose them.

On the other hand, their offense is terrible and it's not just the tiny handed checkdown artist. Their receivers flat out suck and can't get open for ****. Bowe looks like a guy that got paid and powered down, their TEs will be selling insurance next year and Fisher is getting beat like an ugly stepchild constantly. Oh, and Albert got pretty banged up yesterday. Charles is the only elite player they have on offense.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

i see 3 or 4 losses for them... playoff team for sure if they dont turn full retard.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The kc defense scored me some heavy points in my ff league so there!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Here is how I think most people are perceiving them (fair or not):

- They see a team that won 2 games last year. And were really really outmatched in most of their losses. Crazy turnarounds happen all the time in the NFL, but it's hard to believe they really plugged that many holes on that leaky of a ship in one season.

- Alex Smith, while worlds better than Cassel, has spent his career looking good right before falling off and getting benched.

- They are a great defensive team, but it's a league where offense is king and it's unclear if they can ever score much if the defense doesn't force 3 turnovers a game.

- They've had a huge turnover advantage that, inevitably, will have to even out somewhat.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
This is the most correct characterization of the Chiefs offense I've ever read. Basically it's throw everything to Jamal Charles and hand off to Charles and then on third down throw to Avery. Once in a blue moon throw to Dwayne Bowe, the most overpaid piece of crap in the league.
People need to listen to me more, including you. I've said from DAY ONE if you shut down Jamal Charles, you shut down their offense.

geez, I'm getting tired of being right all the time.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #25
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

The wheels will come off at some point...it's bound to happen with KC/Alex Smith.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote