The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default The Broncos curse of 6 and 0!

Yeah, I put an exclamation point at the end of the title! Because we're cursed, I tell you! Cursed!

Okay, that's a little dramatic. But, there is at least a little history behind it.

In the Broncos 44-year history, they (we, damn you!) have started 6-0 six times. They've made it to 7-0 only once.

The first time it happened was the first Broncos season I can remember. Game 7 in 1977 was against the hated Oakland Raiders. We had beaten them in week five, in the "It's all over, fat man" game. The final in that game was Broncos 30, Raiders 7 - a score I would remember throughout my childhood. It was a score that has always been sort of sacred to me. Week seven rolls around, and we lose, 24-14.

The next time it happened was 1986. The team had cruised through the first six games with relative ease. But those six wins had come against mostly weak competition. When game 7 came around, I couldn't stop thinking about how we had lost during the same week almost ten years earlier. I just knew it would turn out the same. We lost, 22-10.

Next was 1997. This was the one I had totally forgotten (credit spdirty). This season had been highly anticipated, after the previous season ended with arguably the most painful loss in Broncos history. They came out of the gate with a chip on their shoulder. The closest game among the first six was an eight-point win at the young and talented Falcons. Then came game seven against the lowly Raiders (finished 4-12 that year). I, of course, remembered the team's history in week sevens. The Raiders had been 2-4; but their losses had been mostly close, and heartbreaking. Still, seven weeks in (six games, plus a bye week), they were already out of the division race. If the Broncos lost here, it would cement this as being more than an anomaly. It would be a full-blown curse! Jeff George threw for 96 yards (Jeff George! 96 freaking yards!). Final score: Raiders 28, Broncos 25. We need a priest, stat!

Next came 1998. This time, it's the hated Jacksonville Jaguars. They were 5-1, and had just lost for the first time the week before. I heald my breath, thinking more than I should about the first three times we had been in this position. I had a bad feeling about it - was almost positive it would happen again. But alas, that Broncos team was too good for curses, and they won, 37-24. The curse was broken, and we won sis more in a row before we lost.

Then came 2009. Holy crap! This Josh McDaniels kid is magic! He can't do anything wrong! He's going to be the coach in this town for the next fifteen years! Sure, he sweats and stutters a lot at press conferences. Bill Belichick's press conferences are just as awkward, and he's won, like, seventeen Super Bowls! So, we're 6-0, and I think to myself, "Self, the 6-0 curse you imagined as a kid was silly! We broke that sucker in '98! I don't care if we are playing at the Ravens, who always seem to have our number. We're a different team now!" The result? Ravens 30, Broncos 7. Ironically - perhaps mockingly - it shares the score with the most sacred game of my childhood. I have no doubt that the curse is reborn. Only now, it's covered with a thin, fetid coating of Josh McDaniels!

But did the curse ever actually die? Or was it just stunned into submission by the brilliance of that 1998 team?

So, here we are - 2013. We're 6-0. Game seven looks to be the most difficult one of the season, to this point. We're 1-4 in Game 7s, after starting 6-0. In those previous four 6-0 starts, we are 30-0 through six weeks. In week seven, we have a .200 winning percentage.

So, what say ye? Does the curse continue?

Last edited by DomCasual; 10-14-2013 at 02:07 PM..
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

If it does, there's no shame in that loss. That's gonna be a tough game
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Manning has a little extra motivation that will carry us...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Didn't you hear we lost by a winning margin of 16 today.......
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Yeah, I put an exclamation point at the end of the title! Because we're cursed, I tell you! Cursed!

Okay, that's a little dramatic. But, there is at least a little history behind it.

In the Broncos 44-year history, they (we, damn you!) have started 6-0 five times. They've made it to 7-0 only once.

The first time it happened was the first Broncos season I can remember. Game 7 in 1977 was against the hated Oakland Raiders. We had beaten them in week five, in the "It's all over, fat man" game. The final in that game was Broncos 30, Raiders 7 - a score I would remember throughout my childhood. It was a score that has always been sort of sacred to me. Week seven rolls around, and we lose, 24-14.

The next time it happened was 1986. The team had cruised through the first six games with relative ease. But those six wins had come against mostly weak competition. When game 7 came around, I couldn't stop thinking about how we had lost during the same week almost ten years earlier. I just knew it would turn out the same. We lost, 22-10.

Next came 1998. This time, it's the hated Jacksonville Jaguars. They were 5-1, and had just lost for the first time the week before. Once again, I was thinking of the first two times it had happened. I just had a bad feeling about it - was almost positive it would happen again. But alas, that Broncos team was too good for curses, and they won, 37-24. The curse was broken, and we won seven more in a row before we lost.

Then came 2009. Holy crap! This Josh McDaniels kid is magic! He can't do anything wrong! He's going to be the coach in this town for the next fifteen years! Sure, he sweats and stutters a lot at press conferences. Bill Belichick's press conferences are just as awkward, and he's won, like, seventeen Super Bowls! So, we're 6-0, and I think to myself, "Self, the 6-0 curse you imagined as a kid was silly! We broke that sucker in '98! I don't care if we are playing at the Ravens, who always seem to have our number. We're a different team now!" The result? Ravens 30, Broncos 7. Ironically - perhaps mockingly - it shares the score with the most sacred game of my childhood. I have no doubt that the curse is reborn. Only now, it's covered with a thin, fetid coating of Josh McDaniels!

But did the curse ever actually die? Or was it just stunned into submission by the brilliance of that 1998 team?

So, here we are - 2013. We're 6-0. Game seven looks to be the most difficult one of the season, to this point. We're 1-3 in Game 7s, after starting 6-0. In those previous four 6-0 starts, we are 24-0 through six weeks. In week seven, we have a .250 winning percentage.

So, what say ye? Does the curse continue?
Peyton has something to prove and Von is going to crack some skulls. 7-0 here we come
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

It might just be that starting 7-0 is a rare occurrence in the NFL...
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Our D is going to have to play their best game of the season if we are to go 7-0.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBF1 View Post
Our D is going to have to play their best game of the season if we are to go 7-0.
We need Wood and Ayers back. Add in Von and we'll know what we're capable of moving forward.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Next week will be a great game. I am really looking forward to it. It turns out this was a bit of a let down week for our guys. Too many mistakes. We still won by 16 but nobody is going to deny we could have easily won by 20 or more. This coming week however, I think our guys will be very motivated not only because PM is going home but for the defense to get Miller back, that's going to amp those guys up quite a bit.

Miller is going to be HUNGRY.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #10
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Edited for self-derp.

Last edited by TheElusiveKyleOrton; 10-14-2013 at 05:20 AM..
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #11
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
In 1998, we didn't lose til @NYG in week 14 or so. Don't think we even played the Jagwads that season.
as he posted....we played them in week 7 and won....as in the only time Denver has ever been 7-0
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
as he posted....we played them in week 7 and won....as in the only time Denver has ever been 7-0
Whoops.

Coffee before posting, kids. Always coffee before posting.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #13
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Hard to believe, but for all of you Broncos history buffs out there, you all forget to remember the most memorable season in Broncos history. 1997. We also went 6-0 that year while outscoring our opponents 190-85 before losing 28-25 at Oakland and falling to 6-1.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/den/1997.htm

Last edited by spdirty; 10-14-2013 at 06:09 AM..
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #14
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Can't hear you over the sound of awesomeness.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Short week for Indy and they'll be travelling from CA.

This is the same Indy that barely beat Oakland at home.

PMFM will be extra focused and motivated for this one and, as a result, he'll make sure the rest of the team will as well.

We got this.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #16
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

PMFM will be extra focused and motivated for this one and, as a result, he'll make sure the rest of the team will as well.

We got this.
But a different Indy that also beat Seattle and San Francisco??
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #17
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Every game takes on its own identity.

PFM/John Fox
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #18
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Ask Dallas how well they had to play to keep up with PM and crew on turf.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Every game takes on its own identity.

PFM/John Fox
Truest words fans always forget
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #20
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Really want the team to get this win for Peyton. 9 days ago I figured this one was in the bag. Now, I'll be overjoyed with a 1 point win.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
San Fran is a jekyl and hyde team. Never know which will show up.

Same with Seattle on the road. They're a completely different team.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #22
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:

We got this.
Offensive game plan has to be very good. Most of all the players have to execute well.They played sloppy yesterday and it showed.

Del Rio had better have a better plan than a soft Zone.

Von back will be a boost but the rest of the D has to step up more. Secondary is a big questionmark. Webster is a pleasant surprise and Champ got his feet wet, but we need better coverage than what we have had.

If WWIII doesn't play I don't see a win as likely. Luck is too good.

Damn Brady and the Pats look like they are going to keep getting better and their Defense is looking very good. They are going to be a problem.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Damn Brady and the Pats look like they are going to keep getting better and their Defense is looking very good. They are going to be a problem.
I just don't understand how they keep winning, despite losing key guys at a comparable, if not worse clip than us.

Amendola, Mayo and Talib all went down with injuries yesterday....still no Gronk....WRs dropping passes for the Pats left and right, Brady missing open guys......and the Saints just completely pissed down their legs in the 4th quarter. The Pats are practically gift-wrapping wins to other teams and they're not taking advantage. It's unreal.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #24
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
I just don't understand how they keep winning, despite losing key guys at a comparable, if not worse clip than us.

Amendola, Mayo and Talib all went down with injuries yesterday....still no Gronk....WRs dropping passes for the Pats left and right, Brady missing open guys......and the Saints just completely pissed down their legs in the 4th quarter. The Pats are practically gift-wrapping wins to other teams and they're not taking advantage. It's unreal.
Yup. I can't believe the Saints got that pick near the very end, and the game wasn't sealed then.

That loss is on Sean Payton.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #25
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Manning has a little extra motivation that will carry us...
Is it just me, or does Manning really have a hard time downplaying emotionally awkward games? Like, he never could really just laugh off the Manning Bowl thing and say it was fun—he seemed genuinely uncomfortable in press conferences. Even when it's just media hype, anything that takes him out of his tightly planned approach seems to be a big deal to him.

I'm really interested to see what his state of mind will be like this game. Motivated for sure, but how much the pregame hype gets him out of sync will be interesting. The Colts have said they will have a big tribute to him before the game, so it would be hard for him to not be a little off-kilter emotionally in the first half or so.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote