The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Default PFF Den/Jax game preview

Their write ups are generally really good, as is this one. Didn't know about the situation with Jacksonville's tackles. Poor team...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...roncos-week-6/
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Meh, they only suggest there could be a few interesting matchups but not even close to suggesting a Denver loss or even a close game. I don't buy the nonsense Denver is going to overlook this game. This is a clobbering in the making. Sorry but everybody can sweet talk themselves into OMG this could be a trap game, but I don't guy it for a second. This will be an ass spanking of epic proportion. While we may not cover this 27 point spread, but that would be because we're taking starters out in the 4th. I still think a 20+ win is at hand here.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Meh, they only suggest there could be a few interesting matchups but not even close to suggesting a Denver loss or even a close game. I don't buy the nonsense Denver is going to overlook this game. This is a clobbering in the making. Sorry but everybody can sweet talk themselves into OMG this could be a trap game, but I don't guy it for a second. This will be an ass spanking of epic proportion. While we may not cover this 27 point spread, but that would be because we're taking starters out in the 4th. I still think a 20+ win is at hand here.
Defense hasn't played well enough to be cocky. Offense run by Manning and he doesn't seem like the type to ever prepare differently then he does. I don't see a let down. Its the NFL though and to think a team can't come within 3 tds is pretty crazy.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

God I hate PFF and their made-up, abstract stats.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Abstract to say the least...these guys a statistical extremist
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

This will be the Jagwads superbowl.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
If its their Super Bowl then it's January 1990, they're Broncos and we're the 49ers.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
Good point. They're likely to get spanked 55-10.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
God I hate PFF and their made-up, abstract stats.
Do you really have to make these comments every time PFF is referenced? Guys like Brian Burke, who is widely respected for his statistical analysis and is considered one of the best in the business, like PFF. Don't hate that with which you are not familiar, not comfortable with, or don't understand.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Do you really have to make these comments every time PFF is referenced? Guys like Brian Burke, who is widely respected for his statistical analysis and is considered one of the best in the business, like PFF. Don't hate that with which you are not familiar, not comfortable with, or don't understand.
I understand it perfectly. That's why I hate it. All their numbers are arbitrary and empty, and every year they get exposed as frauds when they list bad players as the best at their position and good players as the worst. Yet people keep referencing them like they have a clue.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Quote:
I understand it perfectly. That's why I hate it. All their numbers are arbitrary and empty, and every year they get exposed as frauds when they list bad players as the best at their position and good players as the worst. Yet people keep referencing them like they have a clue.
Right, we should pay attention to random dude on internet forum over guys who get paid to give us their insight...
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Right, we should pay attention to random dude on internet forum over guys who get paid to give us their insight...
unless someone can effectively explain how their numbers are figured and can explain how those numbers should be trusted esp when the analysts have no idea what each player's responsibility is on a given play, I tend to agree that their analysis and their grading system is flawed.
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

I love PFF, don't get the hate.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
I love PFF, don't get the hate.
Their "results" tend to reflect the result of the play rather than if a player succeeded in his specific role

I just remember PFF graded our Oline as like the worst in the league when Tebow was the qb and the best when Manning stepped in

it just seems like it would be difficult to accurately quantify a player's ability when the people judging don't even know the play that was called
Br0nc0Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Defense hasn't played well enough to be cocky. Offense run by Manning and he doesn't seem like the type to ever prepare differently then he does. I don't see a let down. Its the NFL though and to think a team can't come within 3 tds is pretty crazy.
Well let's break that down a bit. Our defense has played well in most occasions. Sure there's been some garbage time scores on them and then in the Dallas game Romo had the game of his life and we did have quite a few key injuries. And all of this while missing our best defender and one of the top 5 defensive players in the league if you ask me, and also Champ hasn't played.

I'm not going to judge this defense until Von and Champ are in there and we see this group as they should be. And again, several scores in some of those other games were garbage time scores while we had subs in there. I think our defense is better then what people think.

That said, doesn't matter. This game is still a Broncos landslide win. I'll bet anybody here $20 that by the time we sub PM in the 4th qtr we're ahead by 20+ points.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
it just seems like it would be difficult to accurately quantify a player's ability when the people judging don't even know the play that was called
exactly. and that's why i think it's too difficult to effectively apply advanced stats or sabermetrics to football.
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I'm not going to judge this defense until Von and Champ are in there and we see this group as they should be. And again, several scores in some of those other games were garbage time scores while we had subs in there.
Agree on the Von and Champ point. Don't fully agree with the "garbage time" point as I explained in the post linked below.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...7&postcount=28
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
This. And also that their "analysts" have no football background other than being fans who have enough time on their hands to watch and grade each play. In other words, guys who fail at life, giving them said free time.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote