The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default You could make the argument that Manning has weakest arm in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200..._atl_rosenthal

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

I don't think there is any doubt is there? Who has a weaker arm?

I think we can say arm strength is important if you are hesitant on your throws and you throw the ball late. If you know where you want to throw it and throw it on time and have accuracy you do not need a strong arm.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Lack of arm strength results in an inability to push the ball down the field or hit tight windows. Manning exhibits none of these issues. And besides, his passes have always "fluttered".
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think he has a stronger arm then a number of QB's. He's not Aaron Rodgers, but he's not Alex Smith either.
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Who has a weaker arm?
Alex Smith
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
Alex Smith
I have no idea.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Is Kyle Orton still in the league?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Throwing a tight spiral on a deep ball is not particularly about arm strength. The two give aways when it comes to limited arm strength is upper body rotation on deep balls and elevation on intermediate and deep throws.

Jay Cutler and Mike Vick, two guys with arm strength to spare can throw almost perfectly level fast balls 15-20 yards down field, that is because they have a ton of strength behind their throws. If your intermediate passes tend to need to get air under them that is limited arm strength. Drew Brees throws a fantastic football, but he can't zip the ball 20 yards without needing to give it a bit of elevation, the same is true for Philip Rivers and Tony Romo and Peyton Manning.

The other tell-tale sign of poor arm strength is a hurling motion on deep balls, Kyle Orton did that a lot when he went downtown, he would rotate his upper body during the throw and almost throw his shoulder into the action - it generates more power on the ball but it does lose you a lot of accuracy.

Manning doesn't have the laser rocket arm, but he is by no means the weakest QB in the league, the wobbly spiral on his deep passes has more to do with touch and finger placement when uncorking it, which could still be a result of nerve damage and loss of tactile response.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Throwing a tight spiral on a deep ball is not particularly about arm strength. The two give aways when it comes to limited arm strength is upper body rotation on deep balls and elevation on intermediate and deep throws.

Jay Cutler and Mike Vick, two guys with arm strength to spare can throw almost perfectly level fast balls 15-20 yards down field, that is because they have a ton of strength behind their throws. If your intermediate passes tend to need to get air under them that is limited arm strength. Drew Brees throws a fantastic football, but he can't zip the ball 20 yards without needing to give it a bit of elevation, the same is true for Philip Rivers and Tony Romo and Peyton Manning.

The other tell-tale sign of poor arm strength is a hurling motion on deep balls, Kyle Orton did that a lot when he went downtown, he would rotate his upper body during the throw and almost throw his shoulder into the action - it generates more power on the ball but it does lose you a lot of accuracy.

Manning doesn't have the laser rocket arm, but he is by no means the weakest QB in the league, the wobbly spiral on his deep passes has more to do with touch and finger placement when uncorking it, which could still be a result of nerve damage and loss of tactile response.
The article said weakest arm of any starting QB. If he doesn't have the weakest than he is in the top 3, but like I said who cares. He's the GOAT weak arm and all.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Is Kyle Orton still in the league?
Yep, crying in Dallas wearing a pretend number 18.

As far as Peyton's arm strength I DON'T CARE.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Punisher
® Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got? ®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Cutler has a stronger arm than Peyton. But who's the better QB? End thread
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

Ponder has a weaker arm.
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

It doesnt matter where he ranks compared other players

What matters is does he have enough strength left so that he can still make all the throws

I would have to say the answer to that is yes
He doesnt have a cannon, but I dont see him struggling to push the ball down the field
That 50 yard pass to Decker against the eagles tells me he still has has enough left to do damage

my guess is this guy is saying that because of the way Manning's passes "flutter" or "wobble"

They have always done that
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

370+ ypg, 4 tds passing a game...

Think his arm is ok.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

And Montana had a below average arm and wasn't so bad
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

If Peyton's arm turns into Chad Pennington, it's time to hang 'em up.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Alex smith can't make the throws outside. Manning can.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
jerseyguy4
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
...the wobbly spiral on his deep passes has more to do with touch and finger placement when uncorking it, which could still be a result of nerve damage and loss of tactile response.
As others said, he has always thrown like that.

Oddly, it is one of the few things Peyton never corrected over the course of his career. Early on, Peyton was criticized for being jumpy in the pocket...later corrected. Criticized for forcing balls....later corrected. His handoffs and playactions have always gotten better over the years. Reading of defenses, audibles, lack of need for a huddle, and on and on. But the wobbly spiral remains...
jerseyguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Eli Manning does not exactly throw the prettiest spirals either. Might just be the way they both throw the ball.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
Shananahan
Custom User Title

I'd almost prefer Manning did have the weakest arm in the league. No half measures this year.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Jamarcus Russell had a strong tight spiral throw. Lot of good that did
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Also, on your link. You click Peyton Manning's FedEx air and ground players of the week. Peyton Manning's first throw to Decker isn't weak sauce.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Manning's ball placement is what amazes me. That and how he gets the ball to guys in stride downfield.

I remember watching Plummer chucking the ball up and Lelie trying to adjust to it or flat out having to stop to catch it like he was playing center field. I remember reading Sheflers mailbag where people were writing in "Why can't Plummer hit Lelie in stride?". Manning is getting the ball DOWNFIELD to guys who are still able to catch and run.

Then there are the plays like Welkers TD last week where Wes spun 180 degrees and caught the ball in the endzone away from where the guy covering him was breaking. It was like both knew he was going to break to Wes's right shoulder so Manning threw it to the left and Wes made a great move to get to it. The thing about that play was that there was a safety making a late break on the ball once he saw it develop and if the ball sailed or wasn't thrown fast enough it would have have been a pick 6 going the other way.

I think Manning is a superior QB because he uses his lower body. I have never seen a QB with such attention to his foot work. Getting his feet set properly allows him to rotate his hips and use his entire body to throw. This is one thing Cutler has yet to realize. Cutler still relies on his pure arm strength to throw and when his feet are not set he doesn't get accurate, consistent velocity on the ball which leads to an INT. Plummer was another one who never worked on his footwork or lower body. This is so frustrating because these guys have so much potential but they are content with their ability and not driven to get any better.

Manning does not have the Cannon Elway did, I bet that is another reason he spends so much time on basic fundamentals. He doesn't take his skill set for granted and he knows what it takes to play at the level he does. If Peyton didn't go into football I bet he would have been a doctor, probably a brain surgeon, he is that kind of A type personality where even the perfection he attains is not good enough and he knows because he is human he will never be perfect and therefor he has to constantly work to get better.

What a great signing by Elway! so glad they were able to regenerate his nerve in his neck and he was able to play. I wish I could get what ever treatment he did!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Go back and watch highlights of him from five years ago. He looks pretty much the same, only he is now even better.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Go back and watch highlights of him from five years ago. He looks pretty much the same, only he is now even better.
Because of his work with his fundamentals and ball placement.

I bet because he couldn't work on throwing for most of the year he was recovering he was still working on his feet and hips.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote