The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2018, 01:10 AM   #1
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter
Default The Broncos only have about $27 million under the cap. Oh well.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

$26,848,245, to be exact.

Now, some of you will have to explain to me how the Broncos are suppose to sign anyone of any significance, let alone an over hyped QB like Cousins who has proven he cannot do what Rodgers, Luck, Ben, or Brees cannot do either. Lead teams to SBs after getting paid top dollar.
Broncoblood32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 03:05 AM   #2
wolf754life
MACHINE GUN KELLY

KELLY in 2018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#KELLYREDEEMED!

Cut:

Virgil Green
Manny Sanders
Men Watson
Darian Stewart
CJ Anderson

That is a good start, get rid of those under performing over paid jerk offs.
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:20 AM   #3
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Financially, it would not be a smart move to sign Cousins. Best move would be to draft Rosen or Allen and use the cap space to bring in a good FA OL & WR.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:29 AM   #4
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Financially, it would not be a smart move to sign Cousins. Best move would be to draft Rosen or Allen and use the cap space to bring in a good FA OL & WR.
He is reportedly going to command over 30 mil.

Just to reiterate some facts to consider. Any Bronco fan wanting Elway to break the bank on Cousins is not seeing what QBs giant salaries are doing to teams. Even though this SB this year was not exactly about defense, it is still defense that is key. If one QB's salary does not allow a team to field a defense, then it won't matter who the QB is. Ask Brees and his ability to throw for over 5000 yards every year while they had historically bad defenses.†

Top 5 defenses as far as PPG this year.†

1. Minnesota
2. Jacksonville
3. LA Chargers
4. Philadelphia†
5. New England

The top 10 highest paid QBs, none of them have won it AFTER getting paid. Interesting note. In 2010 when the Packers won it and last time Rodgers has even been to a SB, the Packers that year were number 2 in the NFL in defense in PPG. They gave up 15 PPG. For perspective, the Broncos in 2015 gave up 18.5 PPG.†

The very next year in the Packers preparing for the massive Rodgers contract that would have to match Brees's $100 million dollar contract, the Packers defense went from #2 in 2010 to #32 in 2011. As I said, the Packers have not been back to the SB, even though they have had arguably the best QB in the NFL.†

Since Eli Manning got paid, since Flacco got paid, etc, those teams have been very inconsistent.†

This team does not have much to give and you all want them to pay all of that to Cousins who has proved beyond any doubt that he cannot carry a team by himself? BTW, no QB can. Brady is the 17th highest paid QB.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:56 AM   #5
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoblood32 View Post
He is reportedly going to command over 30 mil.

Just to reiterate some facts to consider. Any Bronco fan wanting Elway to break the bank on Cousins is not seeing what QBs giant salaries are doing to teams. Even though this SB this year was not exactly about defense, it is still defense that is key. If one QB's salary does not allow a team to field a defense, then it won't matter who the QB is. Ask Brees and his ability to throw for over 5000 yards every year while they had historically bad defenses.†

Top 5 defenses as far as PPG this year.†

1. Minnesota
2. Jacksonville
3. LA Chargers
4. Philadelphia†
5. New England

The top 10 highest paid QBs, none of them have won it AFTER getting paid. Interesting note. In 2010 when the Packers won it and last time Rodgers has even been to a SB, the Packers that year were number 2 in the NFL in defense in PPG. They gave up 15 PPG. For perspective, the Broncos in 2015 gave up 18.5 PPG.†

The very next year in the Packers preparing for the massive Rodgers contract that would have to match Brees's $100 million dollar contract, the Packers defense went from #2 in 2010 to #32 in 2011. As I said, the Packers have not been back to the SB, even though they have had arguably the best QB in the NFL.†

Since Eli Manning got paid, since Flacco got paid, etc, those teams have been very inconsistent.†

This team does not have much to give and you all want them to pay all of that to Cousins who has proved beyond any doubt that he cannot carry a team by himself? BTW, no QB can. Brady is the 17th highest paid QB.
Tom Brady hasnít had a great defense in 10 years but his offense compensated enough to get to 8 SB.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:03 AM   #6
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Tom Brady hasnít had a great defense in 10 years but his offense compensated enough to get to 8 SB.
Actually, the Pats defense this year gave up 18.5 points per game which was 5th in the NFL and as much as the Broncos gave up in 2015.

Last year when the Pats won it, they were number 1 in the NFL. They gave up 15.6 points per game.

In 2014, when they won it, they were ranked higher than they had in years, and that was when Brady took that pay cut.

It did not look all that great for the Pats this season, but since week 5 they led the NFL in points allowed.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:08 AM   #7
TheCoachBear
College Coach

Scout

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Janovich

Quote:
Donít use the defensive ranking metric, which pulls yards per game; they were in the bottom quarter in yards allowed. We all know yards donít win games, itís points. In points per game allowed they are top 5. They let ppl move the ball but rarely give up touchdowns.
TheCoachBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #8
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoachBear View Post
Donít use the defensive ranking metric, which pulls yards per game; they were in the bottom quarter in yards allowed. We all know yards donít win games, itís points. In points per game allowed they are top 5. They let ppl move the ball but rarely give up touchdowns.
Belichick defenses tend to have a bend but don't break philosophy.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:18 AM   #9
TheCoachBear
College Coach

Scout

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Janovich

Quote:
Belichick defenses tend to have a bend but don't break philosophy.
A successful philosophy. A zero allowance approach is fragile and unsustainable.
TheCoachBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:29 AM   #10
favson
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have to agree in principle.
While I'm sure if Denver needed the cap space to sign Cousins they could, I'm not sold on the idea it's the best for the team in the long run. I firmly believe to win consistently a team needs a strong defense and a strong OL. If each of these units is ranked in the top 10 of the league, a team will win the vast majority of it's games. I'm also not convinced a team needs a top 5 (or even a top 10) QB to win a championship. Don't take this wrong...I'm not saying a team shouldn't strive to find an upper echelon QB but a strong OL makes up for any perceived or real deficiencies with starting QB.

Having said that, I personally believe none of the 3 QB's which took snaps last season is the answer. So...yes...Denver needs to upgrade in the worst way. They need to find a QB which in the very least is considered average as long as the defense is still considered one of the top units in the league and the OL is upgraded significantly. If signing Cousins takes away the ability to do that, than it's a mistake. i know there are players on the team that support the move but it's not their money they are spending and I'm quite sure they haven't thought about what a signing like that could do to the rest of the team.

If signing Cousins is breaking the bank...forget it. I'm pretty sure we all know he will NOT lead Denver to a SB by himself. There are other FA QB's that potentially could handle themselves better than who played last season and still allow Denver to allocate funds in a more efficient manner.

One thing is for certain....Elway and company can't "miss" on the upcoming draft. In my opinion, the top 5 picks need to be major contributors in 2018. That alone would put Denver back on track very quickly.
favson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:30 AM   #11
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
A successful philosophy. A zero allowance approach is fragile and unsustainable.
I know that was what Joe Collier did and that was his philosophy with the orange crush. He was really ahead of his time and Belichick spent one season in 1978 under Collier with the Broncos. I don't know if any of that influenced him.

Ironic that the Collier philosophy always gave the 49ers west coast offense problems. The ONE TEAM the 49ers never beat in the 80s was the Broncos. In fact, Collier's last year as DC for the Broncos, Denver shut down the 49ers in 1988 in San Fran. Broncos won that game 16-13.

The next year, under Philips, it seemed that version the 49ers really took advantage of. Philips is more attack style and the 49ers crushed the Broncos in that SB. Defense had no answers.

One of those little ironies.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:32 AM   #12
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by favson View Post
I have to agree in principle.
While I'm sure if Denver needed the cap space to sign Cousins they could, I'm not sold on the idea it's the best for the team in the long run. I firmly believe to win consistently a team needs a strong defense and a strong OL. If each of these units is ranked in the top 10 of the league, a team will win the vast majority of it's games. I'm also not convinced a team needs a top 5 (or even a top 10) QB to win a championship. Don't take this wrong...I'm not saying a team shouldn't strive to find an upper echelon QB but a strong OL makes up for any perceived or real deficiencies with starting QB.

Having said that, I personally believe none of the 3 QB's which took snaps last season is the answer. So...yes...Denver needs to upgrade in the worst way. They need to find a QB which in the very least is considered average as long as the defense is still considered one of the top units in the league and the OL is upgraded significantly. If signing Cousins takes away the ability to do that, than it's a mistake. i know there are players on the team that support the move but it's not their money they are spending and I'm quite sure they haven't thought about what a signing like that could do to the rest of the team.

If signing Cousins is breaking the bank...forget it. I'm pretty sure we all know he will NOT lead Denver to a SB by himself. There are other FA QB's that potentially could handle themselves better than who played last season and still allow Denver to allocate funds in a more efficient manner.

One thing is for certain....Elway and company can't "miss" on the upcoming draft. In my opinion, the top 5 picks need to be major contributors in 2018. That alone would put Denver back on track very quickly.
He is going to break someone's bank. The Browns have A LOT OF MONEY. Let them do it.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #13
TheLegendReturns
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
This point sums up exactly what went wrong with the Broncos defense last year... we adopted the approach of "zero allowance" in regards to our rush defense. The entire focus was on this to the detriment of the defense as a whole. Yeah... rush D was much improved, but every other area of the defense went way downhill. The amount of passing TD's this supposed "best secondary in the NFL" gave up was a joke.
TheLegendReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:19 AM   #14
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

This is a new conversation.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:38 AM   #15
jmz313
Ring of Famer

AJ McCarron Come on Down!!!!!!!!!!

thats what i'm personally hoping for. its not popular opinion but its safe and he's one of the few rostered QBs out there that has shown potential and woudl have the chance to outplay his contract.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:51 AM   #16
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post

thats what i'm personally hoping for. its not popular opinion but its safe and he's one of the few rostered QBs out there that has shown potential and woudl have the chance to outplay his contract.
I like it.

AJ and a Top 5 QB.

QB room would be much improved.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:08 AM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:

Now, some of you will have to explain to me how the Broncos are suppose to sign anyone of any significance, let alone an over hyped QB like Cousins who has proven he cannot do what Rodgers, Luck, Ben, or Brees cannot do either. Lead teams to SBs after getting paid top dollar.
. You do realize that, often in the past, the Broncos were more like $20 mil OVER the cap at this point in the offseason and still managed to draft players and sign pretty much whatever FAs they wanted.....don't you?

For them to be UNDER the cap by that much at this time of year before they've cut anyone and before they've renegotiated contracts? That's a freaking bounty.

The only limits on what they can do this offseason are based on their own internal cap, not the NFL one.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #18
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Go to the calculator on the same website and figure it out. Start by cutting a bunch of people they won't even miss and you're at 41 million. Add Talib and you're at 51. Add a restructure here or there and you could get close to 60.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #19
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
I like it.

AJ and a Top 5 QB.

QB room would be much improved.
Id prefer the true BPA but if Rosen or Darnold was at 5, I'd be happy. That said the trade potential would be huge there if that happened. tough.

Be a good problem to have.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:37 AM   #20
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:

Why is he safe?
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #21
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Brock showed potential as a backup as well.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:40 AM   #22
Mots010
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
PPG isnt a great metric. New England's defense this year benefited greatly from their offense dominating the ball and scoring a ton. Does anyone really think because the 2015 Broncos and the 2017 patriots had similar PPG their defenses were equal? 2015 Broncos are widely considered an all time great defense, and they did it with an offense that committed tons of TO's and pick sixes, giving the defense terrible field position, and barely scored points.

Go look at the 2017 DVOA. The patriots were second to last. It was no surprise their defense go completely shredded in the superbowl, although I didnt think it would be Nick Foles who did it.

Last edited by Mots010; 02-08-2018 at 06:57 AM..
Mots010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #23
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cap space is fake news.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #24
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

scio me nihil scire

Man, what were the Broncos thinking giving players contracts stating that they can't be cut?!
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #25
yerner
Ring of Famer

Sullivan and Elway are good at the cap. They'll do what they want and do it responsibly. All this worrying about money is silly.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote