The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
crush17
orange & blue
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,391

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default Frontline "League of Denial: The NFLís Concussion Crisis" - Tonight on PBS

The National Football League, a multibillion-dollar commercial juggernaut, presides over Americaís indisputable national pastime. But the NFL is under assault: thousands of former players have claimed the league tried to cover up how football inflicted long-term brain injuries on many players. What did the NFL know, and when did it know it? In a special two-hour investigation, FRONTLINE reveals the hidden story of the NFL and brain injuries.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...gue-of-denial/


Airs tonight on PBS @ 8:00PM MST / 10:00PM EST
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

really? Why not investigate the federal government and how *****ed up that is instead? Frontline, going full retard.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
crush17
orange & blue
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,391

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
really? Why not investigate the federal government and how *****ed up that is instead? Frontline, going full retard.
You obviously have not paid attention to the development of this documentary.

It was originally supposed to air on ESPN, and then "mysteriously", ESPN pulled out of the project and demanded that the makers of the documentary remove their logo and any association of ESPN from the project.

The airing of the documentary was then moved to PBS because they didn't have any other choice.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
You obviously have not paid attention to the development of this documentary.

It was originally supposed to air on ESPN, and then "mysteriously", ESPN pulled out of the project and demanded that the makers of the documentary remove their logo and any association of ESPN from the project.

The airing of the documentary was then moved to PBS because they didn't have any other choice.


I do have sympathy for these ex players but this is just not a story that should have frontline's name on it. How about youtubing it instead?
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
crush17
orange & blue
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,391

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default

I don't know dude take it up with Frontline I'm just trying to get the message out there that this is airing tonight should anyone care to watch it.

Sheesh.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,962

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

People running at high speeds engaging in collisions 70-80 snaps a game... You're gonna get hurt. Duh. Let the witch hunt continue though. If you don't like it, don't play, pay for or watch the sport. They're trying to play this out like big tobacco.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
crush17
orange & blue
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,391

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
People running at high speeds engaging in collisions 70-80 snaps a game... You're gonna get hurt. Duh. Let the witch hunt continue though. If you don't like it, don't play, pay for or watch the sport. They're trying to play this out like big tobacco.
you have completely missed the point.

good jorb.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
really? Why not investigate the federal government and how *****ed up that is instead? Frontline, going full retard.
Hmmmmmm, would PBS rather go after a commercial entity or a public entity? Hmmmmm....
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan
 
hades's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time
Posts: 2,177
Default

Wait, smoking causes concussions?

J/K!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
People running at high speeds engaging in collisions 70-80 snaps a game... You're gonna get hurt. Duh. Let the witch hunt continue though. If you don't like it, don't play, pay for or watch the sport. They're trying to play this out like big tobacco.
because it is like big tobacco, you idiot.

the NFL undermined credible science, bought out journals, gave shill doctors business contracts with the league to support their bogus science, attacked former players, and made false claims about its equipment. for decades the only job of team doctors was to put players back on the field as soon as possible regardless of their personal safety. if the players objected, they were cut and blacklisted.

but you don't care, because you love football. which is why the NFL can get away with trying to kill its players and then throwing them under the bus. and your response will be to insult the players, because football is awesome and has a lot of money behind it. and your response will be to shoot the messenger (PBS, science) and lay out a series of ridiculous false equivalencies.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
but you don't care, because you love football. which is why the NFL can get away with trying to kill its players and then throwing them under the bus. and your response will be to insult the players, because football is awesome and has a lot of money behind it. and your response will be to shoot the messenger (PBS, science) and lay out a series of ridiculous false equivalencies.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,968

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
^

Football players aren't complete idiots. They know what they signed up for. It's like being an Alaskan crab fisherman. You could die on your trip, but you're going to make a **** ton of money if you make it back home.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,008
Default

you guys are ****ing idiots. there is nothing I or anyone else can say to you to get you to look at facts. when you put players directly back onto the field after they suffer massive concussions, then bury the concussion research that would expose your idiocy as life threatening, you are trying to kill your players. I'm not going to mince words to protect your identity as a football fan.

oh, and then have among the worst health care and pension systems of any major business in the western hemisphere waiting for those guys after they are dumpstered for being hurt.

but they deserve it! because, I don't know! and the NFL is not liable for anything, because as an obviously dangerous enterprise it is not responsible for any of that danger because owait that is ****ing idiotic.

Last edited by extralife; 10-08-2013 at 03:18 PM..
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
you guys are ****ing idiots. there is nothing I or anyone else can say to you to get you to look at facts. when you put players directly back onto the field after they suffer massive concussions, then bury the concussion research that would expose your idiocy as life threatening, you are trying to kill your players. I'm not going to mince words to protect your identity as a football fan.

oh, and then have among the worst health care and pension systems of any major business in the western hemisphere waiting for those guys after they are dumpstered for being hurt.

but they deserve it! because, I don't know! and the NFL is not liable for anything, because as an obviously dangerous enterprise it is not responsible for any of that danger because owait that is ****ing idiotic.
you'd have a hard time proving the intent was to kill the player, more like the intent was to win the game at the expense of the player's health which is stupid for sure. Back in the 60's, 70's, 80's and into the 90's concussions where not thought of as life threatening were they? It's only now after 40 years of history that the NFL can look at the long term effects of multiple concussions on the life of a player.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
you guys are ****ing idiots. there is nothing I or anyone else can say to you to get you to look at facts. when you put players directly back onto the field after they suffer massive concussions, then bury the concussion research that would expose your idiocy as life threatening, you are trying to kill your players. I'm not going to mince words to protect your identity as a football fan.

oh, and then have among the worst health care and pension systems of any major business in the western hemisphere waiting for those guys after they are dumpstered for being hurt.

but they deserve it! because, I don't know! and the NFL is not liable for anything, because as an obviously dangerous enterprise it is not responsible for any of that danger because owait that is ****ing idiotic.
Yeah these poor football players. It's not like they were familiar with the game or were playing since they were children. No that mean old NFL put a gun to their head and handed them paychecks to play. The inherit culture of "put some dirt on it" had nothing to do with it either. It was all a dastardly plot by evil owners forcing them to do it. The players were always forthcoming about their injuries. The tough guy mentality had nothing to do with it. It's all the NFL's fault. They didn't develop the helmets and safety standards. No they were actively trying to kill players because somehow that would benefit them. Yeah...

Last edited by Kaylore; 10-08-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

This thread reminds me of the Junior Seau rookie card I found in the trunk of my car. All scrambled up.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 6,518

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Frontline should do a documentary on how the NFL is making money off of cancer.

http://consumerist.com/2012/10/11/ho...s-merchandise/
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
you guys are ****ing idiots. there is nothing I or anyone else can say to you to get you to look at facts. when you put players directly back onto the field after they suffer massive concussions, then bury the concussion research that would expose your idiocy as life threatening, you are trying to kill your players. I'm not going to mince words to protect your identity as a football fan.

oh, and then have among the worst health care and pension systems of any major business in the western hemisphere waiting for those guys after they are dumpstered for being hurt.

but they deserve it! because, I don't know! and the NFL is not liable for anything, because as an obviously dangerous enterprise it is not responsible for any of that danger because owait that is ****ing idiotic.
What exactly did the players think would happen with concussions? They get enough of them and their head explodes while candy and confetti pop out? As Kaylore mentioned, the 'rub some dirt on it' culture is and was a very real thing. Even today, players are trying to stay in games and hide concussions at times because they know their job could be taken by someone else and they want to protect their job more than they're worried about being safe.

Let's not even forget that the people completely made a joke of their cause when they let players from the mid 2000s join in their concussion litigation. 5-10 years ago, it wasn't a secret that concussions were a bad thing. These players are crying because the NFL didn't protect themselves from themselves. I think it's hilarious that the NFL settled as cheaply as they did and so many of the litigants will be left out without a penny of that settlement money.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #19
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,008
Default

why are the owners of factories and other manual labor industries required to pay the expenses and lost wages of workers who suffer catastrophic injuries on the job? after all, the workers knew what they were getting into. I find it hilarious when the rich owners of those factories settle for cheap sums and leave the workers damaged for life. . also, I live in the 1890s.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
why are the owners of factories and other manual labor industries required to pay the expenses and lost wages of workers who suffer catastrophic injuries on the job? after all, the workers knew what they were getting into. I find it hilarious when the rich owners of those factories settle for cheap sums and leave the workers damaged for life. . also, I live in the 1890s.
Umm... if someone gets hurt in the NFL, they get their salaries and put on IR. They can't be released until they're healed. Injuries and long term effects are different. The concussion issue is about long term effects. Nobody gets cut and has their paycheck taken away because they got a concussion.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,837
Default



thx for the heads up. Ill be watching
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #22
randerson1184
Camp Arm
 
randerson1184's Avatar
 
Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 596

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster
Default

I plan on watching it. It does feel a bit like a witch hunt, though. I don't think the NFL should bear the blame for this alone. Seems like something we should focus on trying to prevent going forward rather than pointing fingers.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,422

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

I love me some Front line but the last 4 episodes have been about old people dying. Even more depressing than a Washington scandal.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,422

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson1184 View Post
I plan on watching it. It does feel a bit like a witch hunt, though. I don't think the NFL should bear the blame for this alone. Seems like something we should focus on trying to prevent going forward rather than pointing fingers.
I don't think the NFL should be held accountable, the players know what they are getting into and most see it as a ticket out.

If there is a big business interest taking advantage of football players it is the College system. These guys get a free ride but don't take any courses of merit, they leave not bothering to finish and get their degrees the colleges make money hand over fist and the player who didn't know how to manage his instant wealth ends up unemployable after football because he spent all his money buying his moms a house and making it rain.

Sure I generalize and draw big picture stereotypes but this is the iNTerNETS#
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #25
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Umm... if someone gets hurt in the NFL, they get their salaries and put on IR. They can't be released until they're healed. Injuries and long term effects are different. The concussion issue is about long term effects. Nobody gets cut and has their paycheck taken away because they got a concussion.
Extralife is on the wrong side of every issue. He was one of the ones saying Von Miller's party hard lifestyle was fine and would have no negative effects. 6 game suspension and 2 millions dollars lost later it was clearly the wrong choice.

Now he says football is the same as the tobacco industry. You know these players were addicted to football, after all!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Denver Broncos