The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #51
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,614

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
maybe im wrong, about players wanting to play in europe. but ofcourse,

it is more sensible, but you can't say the the nfl are idiots for trying to promote the sport in europe. i think its a great idea.

LA has had what, 2 teams and they keep on leaving. its so stupid, the people in LA have better things to do than watch football on sundays. LA had 2 teams and they screwed it up. give another city a shot.
You don't think memorial colesium had nothing to do with that? Maybe if they built a stadium instead of sticking them at memorial it would be different. Dodgers and lakers play far more than 8 games a year and there's no problem filling seats. 4 teams in 2 leagues and there's plenty of interest. I think the city of LA could handle 8 games a year.

I can tell you right now had they agreed on building a stadium the 32nd team would be in LA right now instead of houston.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 10-08-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #52
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer
 
SleepingTiger's Avatar
 
Ole J

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murphy TX
Posts: 1,531

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
You don't think memorial colesium had nothing to do with that? Maybe if they built a stadium instead of sticking them at memorial it would be different. Dodgers and lakers play far more than 8 games a year and there's no problem filling seats. 4 teams in 2 leagues and there's plenty of interest. I think the city of LA could handle 8 games a year.

I can tell you right now had they agreed on building a stadium the 32nd team would be in LA right now instead of houston.
dont know anything about memorial coliseum, all i know is that if LA loved their team enough, they would go. most fans don't want change. they don't want a new stadium. Look at mile high, people to this day are still saying its not the same, its not mile high. maybe LA is different in that they want a nice shinny new stadium. i can tell you most cowboy fans really could careless about jerry's 7th wonder.

can i ask why they didn't agree on building a new stadium in LA? logistics, money, support? whatever it was, again.... the fans didn't want a team there enough to get it done. i know the NFL is desperate at getting a team in LA.

when Denver was loosing, we still sold out. when KC was loosing they still sold out, so do most NFL teams. so why is it that teams in LA and san diego only show up when they are winning. maybe the fan base their isn't as strong as you think it is.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #53
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

There should be a stadium between ND and SD for a team called the Dakota Rough Riders.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #54
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer
 
SleepingTiger's Avatar
 
Ole J

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murphy TX
Posts: 1,531

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Even in 20-25 years IF there is an NFL Europe, where are all these new players gonna come from? I'm sorry but not all college football players are good enough to play in the NFL and in fact, very few of them are actually talented enough to be effective. If there are no players coming out of Europe it's gonna be difficult to maintain good professional football when the talent pool is tapped out.
i was responding to the fact other were talking about restarting nfl europe. my point was that they should build up one team at a time. have they tried to do nfl europe again, it will fail just like last time. Start up a pro team with good players, establish a base for football. and if you really want a separate league for europe, do it then. thats why i said 20-25 yrs. i didn't mean add another 8 teams to the current roster of 32 of which i think is too much. the talent pool in the NFL is already thin. Also, maybe with the attraction in europe, we can get some europeans that would of played soccer to play football. also, some cities don't deserve a team. get those teams into europe if their is a demand for it.

the fact is europe has tons of potential for the nfl. alot more than canada or mexico. the nfl thinks they can slowly ease their way into europe and do business. i think its great.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #55
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,614

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
dont know anything about memorial coliseum, all i know is that if LA loved their team enough, they would go. most fans don't want change. they don't want a new stadium. Look at mile high, people to this day are still saying its not the same, its not mile high. maybe LA is different in that they want a nice shinny new stadium. i can tell you most cowboy fans really could careless about jerry's 7th wonder.

can i ask why they didn't agree on building a new stadium in LA? logistics, money, support? whatever it was, again.... the fans didn't want a team there enough to get it done. i know the NFL is desperate at getting a team in LA.

when Denver was loosing, we still sold out. when KC was loosing they still sold out, so do most NFL teams. so why is it that teams in LA and san diego only show up when they are winning. maybe the fan base their isn't as strong as you think it is.
IMO it revolved around the city councils love and push for Memorial stadium. That stadium is too big for most teams to fill and is subjected to black outs. That's why Mount Davis in Oakland is hated so much. I know Ridley Thomas didnt want one cause Memorial was in his district. You could say the NFL doesbt want a team there cause they always use LA as a threat to move a franchise from their current locations(ie SF Minn Buffalo etc) to get things done in their current locations. Yahoo had an article about that. Goodell said he's not a fan of moving a team there though. Would rather expand with 2 more teams for one to go there. Football interest is there USC and UCLA shows that. Would they want their own or another cities retread is up for debate. I just think pushing a team into Memorial collesium is a reason there hasn't been a team there.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #56
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
i was responding to the fact other were talking about restarting nfl europe. my point was that they should build up one team at a time. have they tried to do nfl europe again, it will fail just like last time. Start up a pro team with good players, establish a base for football. and if you really want a separate league for europe, do it then. thats why i said 20-25 yrs. i didn't mean add another 8 teams to the current roster of 32 of which i think is too much. the talent pool in the NFL is already thin. Also, maybe with the attraction in europe, we can get some europeans that would of played soccer to play football. also, some cities don't deserve a team. get those teams into europe if their is a demand for it.

the fact is europe has tons of potential for the nfl. alot more than canada or mexico. the nfl thinks they can slowly ease their way into europe and do business. i think its great.
ok fine but you still have to have American football at the ground level in Europe to maintain the quality of the players IMHO. That is, you have to have kids from grade school up playing football. Perhaps these kids eventually end up in a US college to play before the NFL but you can't expect the US college program to support all these new teams talent wise when it's just US kids going into these colleges. Either that or their needs to be a minor league program for these Euro players.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #57
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief
 
winstoncup bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NEW YORK CITY, USA
Posts: 5,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
getting called up to the national team and playing exhibitions in the offseason is two separate events. so yes, they play for the national teams AND during the offseason, they fly to asia, the americas, africa to play exhibitions. not that you know, but this summer, we had 5 or 6 european club teams play here in the states.
Right, but it appears as though the international travel you speak of only occurs with exhibitions? Do teams leave the country to play regular season games?
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #58
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
whatever... goodell is the only one who thinks a team in London is a good idea and he's the one sailing this boat. The logistics of a London team are gonna be the only thing holding this back. As other's have said, if NFL football is sooo popular how come NFL Europe folded? Is it because only people in England want to watch American football?

If Rog wants to expand out of the US he should start in Canada and Mexico IMHO.
Funny thing Mr Over reaction, I missed the part of the story saying Goodell is moving a team to the UK. But 85,000 fans at the game and over 500,000 at the football festival think you are an idiot.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #59
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
whatever... goodell is the only one who thinks a team in London is a good idea and he's the one sailing this boat. The logistics of a London team are gonna be the only thing holding this back. As other's have said, if NFL football is sooo popular how come NFL Europe folded? Is it because only people in England want to watch American football?

If Rog wants to expand out of the US he should start in Canada and Mexico IMHO.
Canada has their own product in the CFL which they're reasonably proud of and actually resisted to Buffalo wanting to play more of their home games in Toronto because (as I recall the issue) they didn't want the NFL upstaging the CFL. Expansion into Canada just doesn't seem welcome.

And, well, who really wants to travel to Mexico?
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #60
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,614

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Canada has their own product in the CFL which they're reasonably proud of and actually resisted to Buffalo wanting to play more of their home games in Toronto because (as I recall the issue) they didn't want the NFL upstaging the CFL. Expansion into Canada just doesn't seem welcome.

And, well, who really wants to travel to Mexico?
To me that sounds like Canada was afraid of the NFL success? Can't really upstage without recieving a warm welcome by the public.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #61
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,761
Default

American Football for most Europeans is like the monster truck show coming to town. It's an odd curiosity you go and take photos with your kids at and purchase overpriced foam fingers that go in the trash the following week.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #62
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

The Bills are playing in Toronto this year. Why not another game in another Canadian city and/or a game in Mexico City. Why 3 there? Why not have a game in Paris, Berlin, Rome, etc instead? Another game back in Tokyo?
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #63
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer
 
SleepingTiger's Avatar
 
Ole J

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murphy TX
Posts: 1,531

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
Right, but it appears as though the international travel you speak of only occurs with exhibitions? Do teams leave the country to play regular season games?
No! there is no such thing as a regular season game as there is no playoffs. here is an example.

1. If you play Man U which is in the EPL, they play other teams within England. very little travel here. your game day is usually on saturday.

2. you play games in the uefa champions league (ucl). now this separate from the EPL, its the best teams in europe playing for the ultimate prize and money. this tournament is every year. so you can travel as far south as turkey, and far east as moscow. they usually play on a tuesday or wed. so after a grueling 90 minute match on saturday, you gotta jump on a plane to go where ever to play your match. then fly back to play your next epl match on saturday. if you happen to get knocked out of the UCL, guess what, you just happen to qualify now for the uefa cup. same as UCL, but now the travel is even further.

3. now if you happen to be from brazil and play for Man U. You have more to travel if you are good and the national team coach calls u up to represent brazil. this is even more messed up, because after your match with your current club, you have to fly back to brazil and train to get ready for your international match which usually happens during the week. then you fly back to england to play your epl match.

4. after epl is over, the ucl and uefa cup is over, now you have to travel internationaly to play exhibitions. they usually play a game every week.
also, well known club teams get invited to small tournaments during the offseason to compete. soccer is huge, so you get all these promoters setting up these exhibition and small tournaments so people in the US, asia, africa to see their favorite players. I know some promoter got chelsea to play in Vietnam against the all stars of the Vietnamese clubs. Chelsea paid nicely too. again, this is during the off season.

actually in soccer, there isn't really a off season as you have to stay in form.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #64
Guess Who
Rookie
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,112

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Hopefully it's the Broncos playing over here!

I can go to a Raiders "home" game without the worry of getting stabbed!!!!
Yeah I'd love to see a Raiders/Broncos game in London. I imagine Raider fan would be very upset if they moved their Broncos' game to London though.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #65
Guess Who
Rookie
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,112

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default

I have no problem with this. The three teams involved are having a hard time selling out all their games anyway. If the fans don't show up then maybe the team should play a game in London. The Falcons have had good teams and still you see hundreds of empty seats.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #66
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,062

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

**** playing a regular season game over there. Just play the lame ass probowl there or something.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #67
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH
 
*WARHORSE*'s Avatar
 
Let the heads roll.........

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kailua, Hawaii
Posts: 608

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III
Default

Why in the WORLD the NFL doesnt do more to get the CFL involved I have no clue.

Obviously they love football in the north.......work could be done to get them to change to our way of playing so that in the future we can kill em. heh heh
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #68
Ol#7
Not Too Shabby!
 
Ol#7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 183

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bucky Dilts
Default

There have been alot of articles over here on why a team isnt viable. Already some of the points have been addressed. However one thing is the NFL is overestimating the fan base thinking those numbers would hold up. I guess thats why they are pushing for three games as a 'test' because right now you are getting people from all over Europe that travel for the 'event' but that is not likely to hold up over a season or really be feasable.

Also, while I havent seen it discussed, I really think they need two Europe markets not one to make it a viable idea. You need a Berlin or whatever to make the travel make some sense, so you can 'stack' the schedule for two weeks at a time, plus then you get two 'Europe division' games a year with no travel issues.
Ol#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #69
chrisp
Friend of the unsung
 
chrisp's Avatar
 
Not into the football......yet

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,326

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default

It always astounds me the sheer level of vitriol that spews forth whenever this subject comes up.

Yes, I get that there are issues and complications to expanding the sport internationally, and maybe they will prove in time to be show-stoppers, then again maybe they won't. Only time will tell.

However, I genuinely get the impression that even if a way could be found to get around those issues, such that the sport grew successfully around the world, many of the posters on this board would still be against it. Which is staggering. Surely, even if complications cause issues in reality, isn't it still at least a good idea in principle to have the sport gain wider acceptance and purchase around the world?

Obviously I'm biased, living in the UK I would love to see the NFL become more mainstream here (which incidentally it may be starting to very very gradually do thanks to these international games) but I just struggle to understand why so many of you on this board seem to think that its a terrible idea BOTH in practice AND in principle. I just don't understand it at all.
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #70
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
**** playing a regular season game over there. Just play the lame ass probowl there or something.
NFL should hold preseason games for international markets. Have games in multiple countries to see how it handles it.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #71
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
It always astounds me the sheer level of vitriol that spews forth whenever this subject comes up.

Yes, I get that there are issues and complications to expanding the sport internationally, and maybe they will prove in time to be show-stoppers, then again maybe they won't. Only time will tell.

However, I genuinely get the impression that even if a way could be found to get around those issues, such that the sport grew successfully around the world, many of the posters on this board would still be against it. Which is staggering. Surely, even if complications cause issues in reality, isn't it still at least a good idea in principle to have the sport gain wider acceptance and purchase around the world?

Obviously I'm biased, living in the UK I would love to see the NFL become more mainstream here (which incidentally it may be starting to very very gradually do thanks to these international games) but I just struggle to understand why so many of you on this board seem to think that its a terrible idea BOTH in practice AND in principle. I just don't understand it at all.

I've always worried about the logistics of going international, but watching the documentary on Discovery about the game in London, I kinda turned. The game was really well supported in London, and if I remember correctly the game in Mexico City years back was as well.

I love football, and I'm sure many more people would too.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #72
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
It always astounds me the sheer level of vitriol that spews forth whenever this subject comes up.

Yes, I get that there are issues and complications to expanding the sport internationally, and maybe they will prove in time to be show-stoppers, then again maybe they won't. Only time will tell.

However, I genuinely get the impression that even if a way could be found to get around those issues, such that the sport grew successfully around the world, many of the posters on this board would still be against it. Which is staggering. Surely, even if complications cause issues in reality, isn't it still at least a good idea in principle to have the sport gain wider acceptance and purchase around the world?

Obviously I'm biased, living in the UK I would love to see the NFL become more mainstream here (which incidentally it may be starting to very very gradually do thanks to these international games) but I just struggle to understand why so many of you on this board seem to think that its a terrible idea BOTH in practice AND in principle. I just don't understand it at all.
Traveling abroad is exhausting. I wouldn't want to do it if I were a player.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #73
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
It always astounds me the sheer level of vitriol that spews forth whenever this subject comes up.

Yes, I get that there are issues and complications to expanding the sport internationally, and maybe they will prove in time to be show-stoppers, then again maybe they won't. Only time will tell.

However, I genuinely get the impression that even if a way could be found to get around those issues, such that the sport grew successfully around the world, many of the posters on this board would still be against it. Which is staggering. Surely, even if complications cause issues in reality, isn't it still at least a good idea in principle to have the sport gain wider acceptance and purchase around the world?

Obviously I'm biased, living in the UK I would love to see the NFL become more mainstream here (which incidentally it may be starting to very very gradually do thanks to these international games) but I just struggle to understand why so many of you on this board seem to think that its a terrible idea BOTH in practice AND in principle. I just don't understand it at all.
I see these games as an outlet to sell out one game and try to condense everyone else into 7 home games. That said, the city realizes amazing benefits on gameday. From the atmosphere and the surrounding events to the economic benefits, these are very real considerations and why public money is so often used to build the stadiums.

And, why do I care if the game spreads? It's already so popular at home as to make tickets unreasonable. What benefit will I ever enjoy if the game spreads abroad?
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #74
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *WARHORSE* View Post
Why in the WORLD the NFL doesnt do more to get the CFL involved I have no clue.

Obviously they love football in the north.......work could be done to get them to change to our way of playing so that in the future we can kill em. heh heh
The CFL has resisted being viewed as the NFL's little brother numerous times. They want to stand in their own light and be regarded as a peer. This is why they don't want too many games in Toronto and why they resist when they feel like they're getting the castoffs such as when Ricky Williams went north.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #75
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
I have no problem with this. The three teams involved are having a hard time selling out all their games anyway. If the fans don't show up then maybe the team should play a game in London. The Falcons have had good teams and still you see hundreds of empty seats.
My only issue with this theory is it bails out the team from being crappy every year. If a team has a crappy record for a stretch and attendance falls, the team has a very real economic incentive to perform better. New Orleans has proven that if you provide a winner, people will go to the games. Now, instead of having to do that, the owners are finding they can just take the game from the city, get money, and force all those fans that wanted to go that year into the other 7 games.

Not selling out and being broke should be the punishment for being crappy for long stretches. That's the only true voice the fans have and is the only limiting factor on ticket prices. Let them keep artificially increasing demand by decreasing supply and the fans are the only ones losing.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Denver Broncos