The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #26
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
to NY? Can that market sustain another NFL team?
I'm stupid.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #27
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It would legitimate the title of World Champs.... We only have teams in 1 country, shouldn't the Super Bowl winners be National Champions, at best?
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #28
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
A lot of people go to 8 games. And they say that's not enough. If I had season tickets I want to see 8 games. Teams have said the traveling times affect them. Please do not compare American football with soccer. You think a team over there would attract free agents? No. You think a team would keep a free agent after drafting? No. The Toronto raptor effect. I'm not even going to attack your generalization that all season ticket holders are rich and can afford yearly Europe trips. Flat out ridiculous. 0-5 will empty seats sure. But last 4 years jags attendance has risen every year. Their revenue around 260M is better than SF and quite a few other teams. You put a team there and it will struggle to be competitive unless they have the best draft years. A player will want to live in the states.
Traveling affects teams? whatever, get over it. i reference soccer as a idea how soccer players handle the logistics of playing all around the world.

look, please dont talk to me about free agents. most football players are willing to give up their first born to get a roster spot. this is not about traveling time, attracting free agents... its all about how your run your business. If there is a huge market there for football, why not? as an owner, you can alot do to attract FA and resigning your own guys. this business is all about money, and the players want to get paid.

candians don't like basketball, c'mon. again, its all about management. why is it that teams like clippers and the nets sucked for so long? yet once new management is in and dedicate to winning, they started to get some free agents. or a team like new orleans can never hope to attract a dwight howard. its because the teams suck and the owner is using the team as a cash cow.

get the right ownership and management in london, and you will see the nfl flourish in europe.

i know alot of people are talking about nfl europe, please. who the hell wants to see bunch of scrubs play the game. also, it has to be a slow transition. 1 team at a time. you have to build up the fan base. you can't expect to have 8 teams there and expect it to flourish. maybe in 20-25 yrs, there can be a successfull nfl europe.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #29
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
It would legitimate the title of World Champs.... We only have teams in 1 country, shouldn't the Super Bowl winners be National Champions, at best?
I don't think this is really a big deal.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #30
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
Traveling affects teams? whatever, get over it. i reference soccer as a idea how soccer players handle the logistics of playing all around the world.

look, please dont talk to me about free agents. most football players are willing to give up their first born to get a roster spot. this is not about traveling time, attracting free agents... its all about how your run your business. If there is a huge market there for football, why not? as an owner, you can alot do to attract FA and resigning your own guys. this business is all about money, and the players want to get paid.

candians don't like basketball, c'mon. again, its all about management. why is it that teams like clippers and the nets sucked for so long? yet once new management is in and dedicate to winning, they started to get some free agents. or a team like new orleans can never hope to attract a dwight howard. its because the teams suck and the owner is using the team as a cash cow.

get the right ownership and management in london, and you will see the nfl flourish in europe.

i know alot of people are talking about nfl europe, please. who the hell wants to see bunch of scrubs play the game. also, it has to be a slow transition. 1 team at a time. you have to build up the fan base. you can't expect to have 8 teams there and expect it to flourish. maybe in 20-25 yrs, there can be a successfull nfl europe.
it was a bad example. The soccer heads in Europe just have to fly around Europe, that's like less travel miles than flying around the continental US, no??

not a good comparison unless that soccer head flew to the US to play in the US league during the Eruo league season.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #31
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
look, please dont talk to me about free agents. most football players are willing to give up their first born to get a roster spot
A market as sensitive as London would need a superstar to attract and keep fans. A superstar is not someone that would give up their first born to get a roster because they will get that roster spot wherever they want. Jacksonville would be full of overpaid FA's and scrubs. Unless the league gave them an exception to the salary cap to put together a team that could compete pretty much immediately to attract the fan base...it won't hold.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #32
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
it was a bad example. The soccer heads in Europe just have to fly around Europe, that's like less travel miles than flying around the continental US, no??

not a good comparison unless that soccer head flew to the US to play in the US league during the Eruo league season.
Meh, flying from Marseille to Moscow is not much different than flying from LA to Atlanta. Flying from the east coast to London doesn't take much more time than flying from Florida to Seattle. The flights from the West coast to London would be long and bothersome and the time difference would definitely cause some issues, but logistically it is not that big of a deal. If the NFL is super serious about it they can always buy a couple of old BA concords to shuttle teams across the water in a few hours.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #33
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
A market as sensitive as London would need a superstar to attract and keep fans. A superstar is not someone that would give up their first born to get a roster because they will get that roster spot wherever they want. Jacksonville would be full of overpaid FA's and scrubs. Unless the league gave them an exception to the salary cap to put together a team that could compete pretty much immediately to attract the fan base...it won't hold.
Superstars are drafted - it is rare that big stars change teams outside of trades or draft anyway.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #34
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Meh, flying from Marseille to Moscow is not much different than flying from LA to Atlanta. Flying from the east coast to London doesn't take much more time than flying from Florida to Seattle. The flights from the West coast to London would be long and bothersome and the time difference would definitely cause some issues, but logistically it is not that big of a deal. If the NFL is super serious about it they can always buy a couple of old BA concords to shuttle teams across the water in a few hours.
thanks for proving my point. Any team not on the East coast that has to fly to London for a game is gonna have more jet lag issues.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #35
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

There was an interview discussing a team in London, and a lot of players were against it. PLAYERS came out and said it would be difficult to attract free agents. Why go to this London team and deal with a lot of issues, when you can go to San Fran, Denver, New England, etc.

Also, a lot of locals over there care for the couple games, but a whole season? Doubtful.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #36
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

You are completely wrong in thinking quality free agents/quality draft picks would play/stay over there. Seen It happen before in american sports. They need to get it right over here before moving anything over there. Jags to LA is the most sensible option. Sorry just don't see it happening.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #37
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
There was an interview discussing a team in London, and a lot of players were against it. PLAYERS came out and said it would be difficult to attract free agents. Why go to this London team and deal with a lot of issues, when you can go to San Fran, Denver, New England, etc.

Also, a lot of locals over there care for the couple games, but a whole season? Doubtful.
I've heard this too. Sleeping tiger is wrong on this.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #38
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Even in 20-25 years IF there is an NFL Europe, where are all these new players gonna come from? I'm sorry but not all college football players are good enough to play in the NFL and in fact, very few of them are actually talented enough to be effective. If there are no players coming out of Europe it's gonna be difficult to maintain good professional football when the talent pool is tapped out.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #39
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I think the NFL might see the brain damage issue as a real threat to their long term popularity since some parents are already turning their kids away from football. New markets might mean this is less of an issue. It's like cigarettes moving to China.

Personally I grew up in Hong Kong hating how unpopular the sport was. It was a real pain in the ass. No gamepass back in those days. I just moved from the states to Europe, probably for good, so personally I'd love to have a team in London and if the Broncos play next year I'm there in a heartbeat.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #40
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'm stupid.
Something we can all agree upon.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #41
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Even in 20-25 years IF there is an NFL Europe, where are all these new players gonna come from? I'm sorry but not all college football players are good enough to play in the NFL and in fact, very few of them are actually talented enough to be effective. If there are no players coming out of Europe it's gonna be difficult to maintain good professional football when the talent pool is tapped out.
That's a good point. I kinda see that effect on NBA right now. Too many teams. Cut one or two off and it makes the league more competetive IMO moving those players to other rosters. That never happens though cause no sports league will cut revenue purposely.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #42
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:

what do u mean just fly around in europe? guys like Messi, Neymar, and Americas Bradley, Altidore get called up for the national team all the time. We are not talking once or twice a season, we are talking 10 to 15 times. especially during world cup qualifying. teams like Barcelona, Man United, Real Madrid fly all around the world during the offseason playing exhibitions. Dont tell me a trip from Germany to Brazil is short trip.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #43
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
I'm stupid.
No. You're just Mormon. (j/k)
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #44
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Yeah Super Mario has a Soccer team there. I think getting Jacksonville to implode and moving the team to the UK is the plan.
How about Tampa Bay? Owner already has Manchester United. Also, London Buccaneers sounds fitting.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #45
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
what do u mean just fly around in europe? guys like Messi, Neymar, and Americas Bradley, Altidore get called up for the national team all the time. We are not talking once or twice a season, we are talking 10 to 15 times. especially during world cup qualifying. teams like Barcelona, Man United, Real Madrid fly all around the world during the offseason playing exhibitions. Dont tell me a trip from Germany to Brazil is short trip.
Flying back and forth 3-4 times in a month while working out practicing living etc would take a toll on players. It's a simple fact. Go tell those 49er players who cried about doing it one time. It would have to be 4 or so straight home games at a time, but that would put their team on the road for that same amount. Where would they practice over here?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #46
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Key word here is exhibitions. Even with that, how often do these teams play exhibitions, and what is the general time in between them?
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #47
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think the NFL might see the brain damage issue as a real threat to their long term popularity since some parents are already turning their kids away from football. New markets might mean this is less of an issue. It's like cigarettes moving to China.

Personally I grew up in Hong Kong hating how unpopular the sport was. It was a real pain in the ass. No gamepass back in those days. I just moved from the states to Europe, probably for good, so personally I'd love to have a team in London and if the Broncos play next year I'm there in a heartbeat.
I remember me asking you this, but youre an American citizen right? How did you avoid European visa issues?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #48
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
Key word here is exhibitions. Even with that, how often do these teams play exhibitions, and what is the general time in between them?
National team games arent always exhibitions.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #49
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
You are completely wrong in thinking quality free agents/quality draft picks would play/stay over there. Seen It happen before in american sports. They need to get it right over here before moving anything over there. Jags to LA is the most sensible option. Sorry just don't see it happening.
maybe im wrong, about players wanting to play in europe. but ofcourse,

it is more sensible, but you can't say the the nfl are idiots for trying to promote the sport in europe. i think its a great idea.

LA has had what, 2 teams and they keep on leaving. its so stupid, the people in LA have better things to do than watch football on sundays. LA had 2 teams and they screwed it up. give another city a shot.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #50
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
getting called up to the national team and playing exhibitions in the offseason is two separate events. so yes, they play for the national teams AND during the offseason, they fly to asia, the americas, africa to play exhibitions. not that you know, but this summer, we had 5 or 6 european club teams play here in the states.