The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default NFL expands screwing of US fans & cities

NFL Takes Another Step in International Growth; Three Games in London in 2014

"In response to growing fan support of football in the United Kingdom, the NFL will take another important step in its international development in 2014 when, for the first time, three regular-season games will be played in the UK, NFL Commissioner ROGER GOODELL announced today at the league’s fall meeting in Washington, DC.

The JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS, ATLANTA FALCONS, and OAKLAND RAIDERS each will play one home game in London next year at Wembley Stadium. The dates of the games and opponents for each club will be announced later this season.

“Our fans in the UK have continued to demonstrate that they love football and want more,” Goodell said. “Both of this year’s games in London sold out quickly. The fan enthusiasm for our sport continues to grow. By playing two games in the UK this year, we are creating more fans. We hope that with three games in London next year we will attract even more people to our game.”

The International Series of regular-season games has increased NFL fan interest in the UK, with a current fan base of more than 12 million, including 2.5 million avid fans, a 30 percent increase in avid fans in the past two years.
The Minnesota Vikings’ thrilling 34-27 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in London on September 29 drew a crowd of 83,518 to Wembley. The day before, more than 520,000 people attended a football festival on London’s famed Regent Street, enjoying football-themed games and attractions, including visits from Vikings’ and Steelers’ players and coaches.

http://nflcommunications.com/2013/10...ondon-in-2014/

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 10-08-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

looks like they are setting Jacksonville up for a permanent move
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's only a matter of time before they stick a team over there. Who cares how it affects a team traveling there or games taken away from fans of current teams over here. I think the fan bases of those 3 teams should protest this crap. Season tickets are already expensive and it's now only 7 games they get to go to?

Goodell is a ****ing idiot.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
looks like they are setting Jacksonville up for a permanent move
Jax signed up to have 1 game there the next 4 seasons already
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Why did they fold up NFL Europe then? Just restart that league. They can start it again with the London Jaguars though.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I'm incredibly curious to see how a London team would be received by the locals. I assume there'd be great initial interest that would be maintained with good play. Sort of like if they put an EPL team in New York.

However, I do find it unnecessary to expand overseas because of the scheduling issues. I assume a London team would come with an extra bye week for the NFL schedule. Also, from a economic standpoint, would players want to play in London with the higher tax rates? I'm sure it would attract some adventurous players but my guess is the xenophobic ones would never go.

I'm just not sure its worth the hassle. And I assume the NFL is wrestling with the same problem as we speak.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Hopefully it's the Broncos playing over here!

I can go to a Raiders "home" game without the worry of getting stabbed!!!!
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

NFL sending 3 games, then proceed to send Raiders and Jaguars...trolling!
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

They are going to keep adding games as long as they are making a ****load of cash.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Hell... Start up another conference the NFC Europe... Or realign the divisions again. The talent pool has widened enough that you can add four teams - say London, Toronto a couple others - to a four-division league.

Or not.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Hey whatever NFL...they'll still rather go to a FutBol game.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm excited for the expanding influence.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
It's only a matter of time before they stick a team over there. Who cares how it affects a team traveling there or games taken away from fans of current teams over here. I think the fan bases of those 3 teams should protest this crap. Season tickets are already expensive and it's now only 7 games they get to go to?

Goodell is a ****ing idiot.
how is he an idiot? the guys is a genius. he represents the owners and its his job to make them money. If UK is hungry for a team and there is a huge fan base there, why not? If I was Goodell, i would push for 8 games or maybe even 16 games. Football is for everyone, not just Americans. This is for the best interest in the sport. I would love to see a American football world cup.

Games get taken away? U serious? Most fans can't afford to go see a game. For me to see the Broncos play Cowboys, it would of cost me easy $600 and i live in Dallas. I have no problem watching the Broncos from my TV. And for the season ticket holders, here is your chance to fly to UK and watch your fav team. Most season ticket holders can afford a trip to UK once a season. And have you seen the stands in the jacksonville? The jaguars need to move somewhere quick.

What? you're worried about traveling time? Soccers players have been doing this for ages. Messi flies to spain to play for barcelona in the spanish league, then he flies all around europe to play in the uefa cup. not only that, in the middle of the season he flies to where ever when he gets called up to the national team. during the offseason, he flies around the world every week to play in exhibitions.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

whatever... goodell is the only one who thinks a team in London is a good idea and he's the one sailing this boat. The logistics of a London team are gonna be the only thing holding this back. As other's have said, if NFL football is sooo popular how come NFL Europe folded? Is it because only people in England want to watch American football?

If Rog wants to expand out of the US he should start in Canada and Mexico IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
how is he an idiot? the guys is a genius. he represents the owners and its his job to make them money. If UK is hungry for a team and there is a huge fan base there, why not? If I was Goodell, i would push for 8 games or maybe even 16 games. Football is for everyone, not just Americans. This is for the best interest in the sport. I would love to see a American football world cup.

Games get taken away? U serious? Most fans can't afford to go see a game. For me to see the Broncos play Cowboys, it would of cost me easy $600 and i live in Dallas. I have no problem watching the Broncos from my TV. And for the season ticket holders, here is your chance to fly to UK and watch your fav team. Most season ticket holders can afford a trip to UK once a season. And have you seen the stands in the jacksonville? The jaguars need to move somewhere quick.

What? you're worried about traveling time? Soccers players have been doing this for ages. Messi flies to spain to play for barcelona in the spanish league, then he flies all around europe to play in the uefa cup. not only that, in the middle of the season he flies to where ever when he gets called up to the national team. during the offseason, he flies around the world every week to play in exhibitions.
A lot of people go to 8 games. And they say that's not enough. If I had season tickets I want to see 8 games. Teams have said the traveling times affect them. Please do not compare American football with soccer. You think a team over there would attract free agents? No. You think a team would keep a free agent after drafting? No. The Toronto raptor effect. I'm not even going to attack your generalization that all season ticket holders are rich and can afford yearly Europe trips. Flat out ridiculous. 0-5 will empty seats sure. But last 4 years jags attendance has risen every year. Their revenue around 260M is better than SF and quite a few other teams. You put a team there and it will struggle to be competitive unless they have the best draft years. A player will want to live in the states.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 10-08-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Why did they fold up NFL Europe then? Just restart that league. They can start it again with the London Jaguars though.
They might come in 3rd place in that league!

Raiders have a home game there? Better let the Keystone Cops know that American Hooligans will be in London in the fall. I would prepare for the melee now.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

okay so third season I lived out here...I did 9 home games(Shanahan's last season). Missed the Raiders game because my moms passed away. 9 home games was a chore and I have a new found respect for the people that do'em all....like Leo for example.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
A lot of people go to 8 games. And they say that's not enough. If I had season tickets I want to see 8 games. Teams have said the traveling times affect them. Please do not compare American football with soccer. You think a team over there would attract free agents? No. You think a team would keep a free agent after drafting? No. The Toronto raptor effect. I'm not even going to attack your generalization that all season ticket holders are rich and can afford yearly Europe trips. Flat out ridiculous.
Plus the games have a favorable economic impact for the community(at least thats what they were told when taxpayer assistance was extorted to build new stadiums) Taking away an 1/8 of that arbitrarily is a dick move.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
They might come in 3rd place in that league!

Raiders have a home game there? Better let the Keystone Cops know that American Hooligans will be in London in the fall. I would prepare for the melee now.
Their Hooligans are better Hooligans then ours.

"You call this a soccer riot?! Let's take'em to school boys"

-Grounds Keeper Willy
Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Hey, if Rog wants a Super Bowl in London, I'm down with that. That could be a viable way to give London a lot of income from the NFL without the headache of a team there.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Yeah Super Mario has a Soccer team there. I think getting Jacksonville to implode and moving the team to the UK is the plan.

Last edited by Kaylore; 10-08-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
Bronco Yoda

I think it would be interesting to have a Euro Div. and a Can/Mex div. in the future.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
NFL Takes Another Step in International Growth; Three Games in London in 2014

[I][I]"In response to growing fan support of football in the United Kingdom, the NFL will take another important step in its international development in 2014 when, for the first time, three regular-season games will be played in the UK, NFL Commissioner ROGER GOODELL announced today at the league’s fall meeting in Washington, DC.

[/url]
what about the growing fan base here in the US that hates the idea?
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Yeah Super Mario has a Soccer team there. I think getting Jacksonville to implode and moving the team to New York is the plan.
to NY? Can that market sustain another NFL team?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Rather than expand the number of teams, they should just add 1 game to each team and make it a neutral site game. Play a team from the other conference and play in places like London, Mexico, or even places like Alabama, that don't have an NFL team, but have the football fanbase and stadium to support it. That would be 16 games a season, and you don't screw the home team fans by taking away a home game.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote