The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright
Default Some serious love for the running game

Kinda quietly over the last two weeks our running game has gotten pretty dang good. Moreno has been the bulk of it but Hillman's numbers are up as well. Yesterday was the first time in what seems like forever when I thought running on 3rd and 2 seemed like an OK idea.

If this is a trend not a blip this is going to bolster an historically prolific offense to insane heights. When teams need to bite harder on the play action it is going to open up even more of the field. When we can legitimately play fox ball at the end of the games, and actually run out the game clock with first downs on the ground, we will be able to close out closer games. When the weather gets cold and wet we won't need to rely entirely on the Peyton precision.

Part of me wonders if we are starting to see the first returns on bringing back Alex Gibbs to teach our coaches the wonders and complexities of the zone blocking scheme. Any of you film guys out there willing to venture an opinion?

Pretty new at starting threads so be gentle...

Last edited by BroncoFanDoug; 10-07-2013 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: addition
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Franklin and Vasquez are destroying defenders on the right side of the line. Those two are nasty. Add in a pulling Zane Beadles and this team actually has success running to that side. Ramirez has been much better than I thought he would be to this point, and Clark has been a pleasant surprise. Manning is the biggest factor. Teams simply can't stack the box regardless of down and distance. Knowshon has been solid. Nothing special, but solid in every area. I'd still like to see CJ Anderson get some playing time.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
Kinda quietly over the last two weeks our running game has gotten pretty dang good. Moreno has been the bulk of it but Hillman's numbers are up as well. Yesterday was the first time in what seems like forever when I thought running on 3rd and 2 seemed like an OK idea.

If this is a trend not a blip this is going to bolster an historically prolific offense to insane heights. When teams need to bite harder on the play action it is going to open up even more of the field. When we can legitimately play fox ball at the end of the games, and actually run out the game clock with first downs on the ground, we will be able to close out closer games. When the weather gets cold and wet we won't need to rely entirely on the Peyton precision.

Part of me wonders if we are starting to see the first returns on bringing back Alex Gibbs to teach our coaches the wonders and complexities of the zone blocking scheme. Any of you film guys out there willing to venture an opinion?

1. The right side of our OL does a very good job blocking and Clark is very solid in the run game.

2. Lost in his fantastic start to this season is Julius Thomas' blocking. He's a pretty decent blocker. Not a mauler by any means but he uses his frame very well to seal the edge when our RBs go outside. Very important because he's on the field for most of the snaps usually.

3. Moreno is actually breaking tackles and getting serious yards after contact. Hillman/Ball haven't done this but Moreno has really learned to run low and truck through guys for yardage.

4. The Cowboys D in the 2nd half went in to Cover 2 with both safeties well off the line often. That really pushes the numbers in our favor when we run it.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

Frankly I have been shocked at how well Clark has filled in. And JT seems to be improving his blocking each game - he sure has the power for it and seems to have the attitude. If his technique continues to improve we may have a star in the making (how the heck are we gonna sign all these guys??).
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

If Moreno gets hurt like he always does I have zero confidence in Hillman.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
If Moreno gets hurt like he always does I have zero confidence in Hillman.
Well that is silly. When Ronnie just runs and doesn't think, he's pretty good. He is averaging 4.3/carry.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

I like the way Moreno has been playing. I'm pleasantly surprised by his performance and happy to see him do well.
The OL has played really well, Vazquez was worth the money and Franklin has been a mauler in the run game since day 1.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I thought this would be the game where Clark would have been exposed but the pressure seemed to come from Franklin's side from what I remember.

Locking up Clark for 2 years was a smart move by Elway, we now have 2 stud LT's while a lot of teams struggle to find one.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post

I haven't seen much ZBS like Gibbs used to run. I thought it was a useless idea to bring Gibbs in, and it doesn't look like they've incorporated the ZBS much. It's still pretty much Fox's guy Magazu he brought in from Carolina.

There's been good man blocking on the interior as well as WR blocking from Decker, Thomas, even Welker. Magazu brings in Virgil Green when they want to overload a side, and thats worked out pretty well. The OL is creating creases to get positive runs all the time. Hillman doesn't have much power, but he hits the correct crease fast, Moreno has a little more power can fight through a couple tacklers for a couple extra yards. Ball is ok, it takes a few games for rookies to get up to speed, it's a good rotation.

Pretty solid running game overall, they get positive yards 90% of the time.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Well that is silly. When Ronnie just runs and doesn't think, he's pretty good. He is averaging 4.3/carry.
If Ronnie got as many carries as Knowshon did this year he'd be fine theres going to be a couple of runs that Ronnie breaks off for 20-30 yard gains, he also has the capability of taking it the distance.

I say we should run more screens with him or plays out of the backfield dude is a spark plug.

I like him in the role he has now rotating in for Knowshon but if Knowshon went down I think Hillman could hold his own with Ball sprinkled in, I worry more about Ball to be honest and his ability to hold the football.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Franklin and Vasquez are destroying defenders on the right side of the line. Those two are nasty. Add in a pulling Zane Beadles and this team actually has success running to that side. Ramirez has been much better than I thought he would be to this point, and Clark has been a pleasant surprise. Manning is the biggest factor. Teams simply can't stack the box regardless of down and distance. Knowshon has been solid. Nothing special, but solid in every area. I'd still like to see CJ Anderson get some playing time.
I think might be the week we see some CJ.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

At points in sunday's game Ware flipped ends to try and beat Franklin. Did not work there, either. Our tackles did a good job yesterday.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
I think might be the week we see some CJ.
Barring injury, we will never see CJ Anderson this year so everyone please stop posting about him.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
If Ronnie got as many carries as Knowshon did this year he'd be fine theres going to be a couple of runs that Ronnie breaks off for 20-30 yard gains, he also has the capability of taking it the distance.

I say we should run more screens with him or plays out of the backfield dude is a spark plug.

I like him in the role he has now rotating in for Knowshon but if Knowshon went down I think Hillman could hold his own with Ball sprinkled in, I worry more about Ball to be honest and his ability to hold the football.
Well, I haven't seen any indication Hillman can take it the distance, or be explosive in the open field.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
pricejj
jungle

Broncos would be #9 overall NFL in rushing yards if not for 3 kneel downs to end the game, which lost 9 yards.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
pricejj
jungle

Knowhson #10 overall NFL rushing.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Well, I haven't seen any indication Hillman can take it the distance, or be explosive in the open field.
are you blind ?
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
He ran it 7 times on Sunday and on 1 broke out a 17 yard hustle run. About 5 of his rushes there were already two or three Cowboys at him when he got the ball. Its hard to judge any running back who doesn't have a chance to hit the hole because other guys are pouring in.

He's been pretty good on his screen passes too.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Moreno YPR AVG - 3rd highest in the league at 5.1
Hillman YPR AVG - 4.3

We're not running alot, but when we do, it's been good stuff.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Hillman YPR AVG - 4.3

Nothing to complain about. I am curious how much we will see Moreno this coming Sunday.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Hillman YPR AVG - 4.3

#8 overall in rushing attempts. Yeah, we're running a lot.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #22
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Barring injury, we will never see CJ Anderson this year so everyone please stop posting about him.
If you're going to keep him on the roster, you'd better get him ready to play. Losing McGahee and Moreno last year cost us in the playoffs.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #23
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Hillman has been explosive on plays this season. Especially catching screens.
His problem is that when he's got multiple people around him, he can't power through them, he has to make them miss of they stop him after 2-3 yards.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #24
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
#8 overall in rushing attempts. Yeah, we're running a lot.
That is a surprise to me.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #25
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
That is a surprise to me.
With our offense being as in control of games as it has been, we have the luxury a lot of teams don't have: running the ball whenever we want. It's really beautiful to watch this offense. I've never before seen one that works exactly how every theory behind offensive football says a good offense should work.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote