The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Yeah, I think we've concluded there is no game plan or blueprint. Let's face it, if #18 is on the field, the chances of losing are not high. Let's just scratch PM's first several games as a Bronco. Chalk that up to new team, new city, new coaches, all that stuff. Let's start with the win in SD last year. He's 18-1 people. And the 1 loss we all know was a bit of a fluke (coldest day in the history of earth, lol - bad jump ball by Moore - bad officiating, etc).

18-1

Not sure what the record is for most regular season wins in a row but we have to be sneaking up on that one soon.

EDIT - Well I guess PM has a chance to break his own record hahaha. Colts 23 wins in a row regular season.

Last edited by ZONA; 10-07-2013 at 02:27 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #27
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBF1 View Post
The way the _efense played yesterday, I would not bet my life that a hot QB like Rodgers or Brees with a healthy WR corp could not hang 50 on what we saw in Dallas.
OBF1, you do understand I trust, that the bulk of their damage came after Ayers, Woodyard and Harris went out and Tony was no longer harassed at all until his very last possession after we made some last minute defensive adjustments, right!?!

Dallas had 13 points off mostly their own efforts in the first half the other 7 Decker handed them with the fumble on a short field. They might have gotten 17 to 21 more points tops in the second half, but only if all went their way and assuming we didn't lose those three key defensive players for the whole second half.

Not to mention missing Von and Champ already. No doubt, Romo had a hot hand and Dallas was desparate to win at home after blowing the Charger game, you have to give their O some credit too they played as well as they possibly could. But without the Woodyard and Harris injury, there is no way they come back anywhere close to tying much less winning this game in the 4th quarter.

Romo, literally having all day in the second half, wisely began systematically picking on the like's of Irving, Carter and Bolden and repeatedly going to TEs and Williams with Dez in key matchups across the middle that neither Irving, Carter or Boldin could pick up and Irving is simply not well suited as a cover man.

DRC had two bad plays and lost his space with Dez on the long gainer where DRC nearly knocked himself out on his own man, and somehow Dez was covered by Irving at one point leading to a laugher gain.

In any event, we do have some good defensive depth but we didn't even have Paris Lenon available who is a lot more experienced as a cover LB than Irving at least.

While I give Romo and Dallas credit for taking full advantage of the hamstrung Broncos defense, especially in the second half, when Ayers, Woody and Harris were all suddenly gone, however, this was not nearly the indictment of Denver's defensive capability overall as it might appear to an outsider looking in briefly at the box scores.

Or, perhaps, as it might misleadingly appear to an alarmist Bronco fan with a nervous frail disposition ...

If we get those three we lost back in this game ASAP as Fox at least implied in saying 'nothing serious' along with Champ and Von in the next two weeks and things will go back to more the 42 to 56 point range Bronco scores versus the 14 to 28 point opponent scores, with at least one of those opposing TDs coming during garbage time for us and desperation time for the opposing team.

Indy, NE and Chiefs at home ... possibly Houston if they get their QB disaster worked out some how .. should be fairly competitive for a good portion of each of those road games. But if we can stay reasonably healthy and properly focused I don't see anyone derailing this train anytime soon on our way to home field advantage for the playoffs and a SB berth.

Will save SB predictions when and if we make it that far.

Last edited by Hulamau; 10-07-2013 at 02:43 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #28
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

SB is in NY another chance for bad weather
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #29
stopgap
Chicken

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
............eh, I'm getting a little confused. Shouldn't a "blueprint to beating the Broncos" include a game in which said team actually defeated the Broncos?
It could have easily been a Bronco loss. That int was freaking huge.
stopgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #30
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
It could have easily been a Bronco loss. That int was freaking huge.
Well all sorts of games are close every week. I don't hear news about 8 different blueprints for beating this team and that team each week. In our last 17 regular season games this was the 1 game we didn't win by at least 7 points. Many have been routes. And we get 1 close game on the road and everybody including God knows how banged up on defense we are (ok, and offense, we've had our share of injuries all over) and now there is a "blueprint". Z
Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #31
CEH
Ring of Famer

IMO, a loss yesterday would have been better than a win. You learn more from a loss than a win.

I won't root for a loss but its not the end of the world. Indy can hang 40+ on Denver if the team is not ready to play
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #32
stopgap
Chicken

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Well all sorts of games are close every week. I don't hear news about 8 different blueprints for beating this team and that team each week. In our last 17 regular season games this was the 1 game we didn't win by at least 7 points. Many have been routes. And we get 1 close game on the road and everybody including God knows how banged up on defense we are (ok, and offense, we've had our share of injuries all over) and now there is a "blueprint". Z
I am not debating your stance by any means. I am just glad they got out of there with the win. For some stupid reason I follow the NBA. So I know all about home cooking. And it showed itself yesterday.

The fact is... Would you really want to go into (at worst) OT with a hot-handed Romo?
Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #33
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Considering the Broncos are human beings that can evolve and **** up and not a static puzzle, this argument is stupid.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #34
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

I'll add another one:

Worship the sun god Apollo, and offer animal sacrifices unto Him so that He may smite the eyes of these fleet footed Denver receivers with sun light and they shy from catching the ball.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #35
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
IMO, a loss yesterday would have been better than a win. You learn more from a loss than a win.

I won't root for a loss but its not the end of the world. Indy can hang 40+ on Denver if the team is not ready to play
Well congrats - you might be the only person here who thinks that. You don't "learn" more from a loss. That's a very ignorant comment. If you lost, it just means you made more mistakes then the other team and they made more big plays then you did. How does film study go this week any different then if we lost by 3 or won by 3? No different. The defense is still going to look at all the mistakes they made and try to correct them.

Seriously, who ever told you that you learn more from a loss then a win doesn't know jack ****.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #36
stopgap
Chicken

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
I'll add another one:

Worship the sun god Apollo, and offer animal sacrifices unto Him so that He may smite the eyes of these fleet footed Denver receivers with sun light and they shy from catching the ball.
Yeah. That was annoying from even a fan's point of view. Close the lid a Jerry.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #37
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Well congrats - you might be the only person here who thinks that. You don't "learn" more from a loss. That's a very ignorant comment. If you lost, it just means you made more mistakes then the other team and they made more big plays then you did. How does film study go this week any different then if we lost by 3 or won by 3? No different. The defense is still going to look at all the mistakes they made and try to correct them.

Seriously, who ever told you that you learn more from a loss then a win doesn't know jack ****.
Congrats it's what Chad Brown just reiterated on the the radio. What does he know he was only on the '07 18-1 Pats team .

The football IQ on this board amazes me.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #38
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Congrats it's what Chad Brown just reiterated on the the radio. What does he know he was only on the '07 18-1 Pats team .

The football IQ on this board amazes me.
Um, so a week 5 loss means the Pats would have won that Superbowl. It automatically erases all those lucky catches the Giants had? Cmon now dude. For real?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #39
stopgap
Chicken

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We are over analyzing things at this point. As fans, we do not want to be in the lost column come Monday.I ppersonally never want an L to give this team a wake up call. The team is blessed to have Manning right now. This is not the Nuggets which is a polar opposite.

Denver won. I think we are armchair qb'ing just to pass the time at this point. The Broncs did their job yesterday.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #40
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
I want to see how they are when a team doesn't abandon the run. Seems like every game our offense mutates their gameplan into throwing every single down. Murray started out pretty good and they just stopped going to him.
I distinctly remember a Monday night game a few years ago where the Miami Dolphins controlled the clock to the tune of an astounding 45 minutes TOP by amassing 230 yards on the ground, they lost the game. Peyton had the ball for 15 min, and scored 27 points. This was the 2009 Colts mind you, not their best squad, but Peyton got it done.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #41
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

I guess my take on the game is a little different from a lot I am hearing.

First, I believe multiple injuries hurt a team more than just the sum of losing each of them once. As starters go out less talented people start coming in, people start changing roles, communication gets more and more confused, the original game plan is in shambles, and lets be honest, next man up eventually collapses. This is particularly problematic when you lose several people during 1 game - there is no chance to plan and practice in the new alignment.

In the first half I saw Romo single handed keep his team in the game by scrambling effectively - this was the source of several big plays and several critical 3rd down conversions to keep drives alive. The best DBs in football cannot maintain coverage for 10 seconds. I believe that having Von back will almost eliminate this issue - remember what he did to Cam Newton last year? Those would not have been scrambles, they would have been sacks. And the game would have been a blowout.

In the second half after losing Ayers we could not effectively put pressure on, and I saw a very good QB with a very good line and excellent targets slice up a team missing Chris Harris, Champ Baily, their field general Woodyard, and relying on a banged up Tony Carter and D Trevanthon, in addition to the already mentioned Von and Ayers.

And we still won the game on the road.

Could we lose to an elite team on the road without all those players? Absolutely! But from what I understand none of the injuries are serious, Von and Champ will be back, and this D is gonna be just fine. Heck an argument can be made that Von is the best overall defensive player in the league playing at the most important defensive position. I honestly believe that even with the other injuries, if Von had played in this game it would have been a blow-out.

Soooooo, if other teams want to use this as a blue print, I think they will be in for a long game.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #42
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

This teams philosophy is tailored for Manning and Von Miller. Manning scores the points that makes the Opposing offense have to drop back...the more drop backs....the more opportunities for Miller to make plays.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #43
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Miller and Champ haven't played a snap this year... Lol...

NFL, you have been put on notice..

Just wait till we're 100 percent.. I'm actually afraid for other teams....
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #44
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
not sure how true that is. if at all. there are plenty of learning experiences to be had from yesterday's game
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #45
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
That's a great plan until you realize that the strength of this defense is stoping the run. Try again.
That's great. It's not good enough to stop the 98' O-line and Terrell Davis.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #46
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
I guess my take on the game is a little different from a lot I am hearing.

First, I believe multiple injuries hurt a team more than just the sum of losing each of them once. As starters go out less talented people start coming in, people start changing roles, communication gets more and more confused, the original game plan is in shambles, and lets be honest, next man up eventually collapses. This is particularly problematic when you lose several people during 1 game - there is no chance to plan and practice in the new alignment.

In the first half I saw Romo single handed keep his team in the game by scrambling effectively - this was the source of several big plays and several critical 3rd down conversions to keep drives alive. The best DBs in football cannot maintain coverage for 10 seconds. I believe that having Von back will almost eliminate this issue - remember what he did to Cam Newton last year? Those would not have been scrambles, they would have been sacks. And the game would have been a blowout.

In the second half after losing Ayers we could not effectively put pressure on, and I saw a very good QB with a very good line and excellent targets slice up a team missing Chris Harris, Champ Baily, their field general Woodyard, and relying on a banged up Tony Carter and D Trevanthon, in addition to the already mentioned Von and Ayers.

And we still won the game on the road.

Could we lose to an elite team on the road without all those players? Absolutely! But from what I understand none of the injuries are serious, Von and Champ will be back, and this D is gonna be just fine. Heck an argument can be made that Von is the best overall defensive player in the league playing at the most important defensive position. I honestly believe that even with the other injuries, if Von had played in this game it would have been a blow-out.

Soooooo, if other teams want to use this as a blue print, I think they will be in for a long game.
Yeah I see a lot of chest thumping "no excuse!" robots. No D is going to look even remotely good without 5 starters (and arguably the 5 best defensive players on the team, not just journeymen starters) and the rest being banged up. Especially when facing a good offense -- and one that is good in ways that our lost players are there to counter.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #47
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Another thing to point out - not that it matters. But we could have easily scored a TD at the end. Making it 55 to 48. In the end it's a 3 point win and it was the smart play to just kill the ball and take the easy chip shot but I'm just saying, we could have easily scored a TD with the ball on the 1 yard line and 1st down. Could have been a 7 point game. F those Cowboys........hahaha
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #48
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
I think the best way to beat the 13' Broncos is be an all time great running team, such as the 98' Broncos.
I didn't know there was such a thing as a 13-foot or a 98-foot Bronco...

Quote:
Ok...so explain so the rest of us can follow along: What more could we have learned from yesterday's game if Romo had completed that pass instead of having had it intercepted and Escobar had taken it down for a score or had gotten Dallas within their own field goal range and they'd kicked it for the win. What would have happened in those last 2 minutes of the game that would have taught us more than the prior 58 minutes didn't. Go.
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #49
BroncsCheer
Scrappy, cerebral poster

There is no dark side on the moon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny T

What CEH was trying to say (but failed) is that adversity is a better teacher than the prosperity of an easy win.

Plenty of adversity to learn from in this game, regardless of the 'W' outcome.
BroncsCheer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #50
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
That's a great plan until you realize that the strength of this defense is stoping the run. Try again.
The 98 Broncos were amazing. They could at the very least hang with the 13 Brincos.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote