The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Default Webster is going to be a good one.

I know our secondary had a bad game as a unit but I thought Webster showed a lot of promise I saw a few times where he was matched up 1v1 against Dez Bryant and he was holding his own

Of course he gave us this turnover which was awesome timing in the ball game and helped a lot with momentum.

I love his physical mentality playing the game, dude is pretty big (weight and muscle wise) for a CB too. Last few games hes shined at times with big hits and solid coverage here and there. I think he has a bright future.

Last edited by KevinJames; 10-07-2013 at 01:21 AM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

too early to tell but I like that Denver took a guy they believed in despite what the "experts" thought.

He is big and fast and looks like a good player. We'll just have to wait and see.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:37 AM   #3
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

He's no Tony Carter.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #4
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Given Elway & Co.'s signings of guys like Jackson, Clark & Harris, it doesn't surprise me that the scouting staff had an inside line on a talented unknown. While the drafts haven't been perfect by any means, this team has consistently managed to find both starting-level and depth talent that seems to've eluded the measureables-heavy, computer-driven tunnel vision that seems so prevalent across the NFL these days.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #5
Ateam_Matthews
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Never understood why ppl think hes 'big' hes quite miniature compared to the elite receivers. Hes listed at 511 195 , now if you said he plays big i could agree with you there, but in no way is he a big guy
Ateam_Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam_Matthews View Post
Never understood why ppl think hes 'big' hes quite miniature compared to the elite receivers. Hes listed at 511 195 , now if you said he plays big i could agree with you there, but in no way is he a big guy
5'11 198 is what hes officially listed thats pretty big for a CB, hes not a seattle freak sized corner but still

Old 10-07-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
He's no Tony Carter.
Carter is a good cover guy but he is 170 lbs so he has limitations. He should never be covering a WR as big and powerful as Dez that is for sure.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #8
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bowlen’s Legacy

198 is a lot for a 5'11 NFL corner.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

I got to go to the game. Our D-backs actually played well a large portion of the game, but they weren't getting any help.

The pass rush was terrible, and Dallas has too many talented guys to cover for 5-6 seconds play after play.

Tony Carter and DRC both made mental mistakes on two huge plays, one to the rookie Williams and the other to Bryant. DRC got caught looking in the back field for a split second, and got torched, and Carter made a bone headed attempt to swipe at a pass instead of making a tackle.

Chris Harris was out all of the 2nd half, Champ didn't play, and both WW and Ayers didn't play the second half either. And Von...

Anyway, on top of it all, Romo was playing lights out. He was really amazing yesterday, better than Manning to be honest. If Dallas had an average QB in there, we win that game by 30.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I also think Webster is a future starter and has some ball skills. The defense as a whole was terrible, but thankfully they made a play when they needed one to help win the game. That was a great play by Trevathan.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
I got to go to the game. Our D-backs actually played well a large portion of the game, but they weren't getting any help.

The pass rush was terrible, and Dallas has too many talented guys to cover for 5-6 seconds play after play.

Tony Carter and DRC both made mental mistakes on two huge plays, one to the rookie Williams and the other to Bryant. DRC got caught looking in the back field for a split second, and got torched, and Carter made a bone headed attempt to swipe at a pass instead of making a tackle.

Chris Harris was out all of the 2nd half, Champ didn't play, and both WW and Ayers didn't play the second half either. And Von...

Anyway, on top of it all, Romo was playing lights out. He was really amazing yesterday, better than Manning to be honest. If Dallas had an average QB in there, we win that game by 30.
True. It's not like Jason Witten and Dez have not done thier thing against many a team.

Pro Bowlers do this and those two are really really good

Think Von doesn't run Romo down a couple times and smash his head into the turf. I think he does.

Get all our defensive stars back and then lets see how they play. Von requires a double team and turns the gameplan into a logistics problem for the OC
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
5'11 198 is what hes officially listed thats pretty big for a CB, hes not a seattle freak sized corner but still

Yeah he is built like a safety.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

He got lazy on the play to set up Dallas' field goal at the end of the first half otherwise he was did well for being a youngster.

Carter on the other hand is a waste of space.
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
True. It's not like Jason Witten and Dez have not done thier thing against many a team.

Pro Bowlers do this and those two are really really good

Think Von doesn't run Romo down a couple times and smash his head into the turf. I think he does.

Get all our defensive stars back and then lets see how they play. Von requires a double team and turns the gameplan into a logistics problem for the OC

Exactly I don't see many of teams scoring points the way the Cowboys did yesterday unless were talking the Saints, Packers, Colts or maybe the Patriots fully healthy.

Also we were without Ayers, Woodyard, Harris most of the game.

but when Von + Champ gets back our secondary is going to be fine.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Webster is pretty good for a rookie. Made some impact plays already five games into his rookie season.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post

Romo had extra time because there was really terrible holding every frigging play.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
While the drafts haven't been perfect by any means, this team has consistently managed to find both starting-level and depth talent that seems to've eluded the measureables-heavy, computer-driven tunnel vision that seems so prevalent across the NFL these days.
I'm going to disagree with you. Citing bad teams for being computer-driven seems silly. I went to the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference this year. The NFL teams most heavily represented were definitely the better teams. The 49ers GM was on several panels. As was Jack Del Rio. In fact I sat behind Jack in a paper presentation on field goal prediction that basically said (indirectly) "Matt Prater is overpaid", which I thought was funny. These are the teams trying to be on the cutting edge of analytics in football.

So to disparage being "computer-driven" as a habit of bad teams seems wrong. Now maybe if what you meant by that was being numbers-driven in the sense that Al Davis was always crazy about 40 times, sure. I definitely agree with you there. Drafting well requires a holistic approach that uses every tool available to analyze players and knowing the strengths and weakness of each tool. Analytics, statistics, and combine numbers are all valid tools. But yeah, tunnel vision is awful.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Given Elway & Co.'s signings of guys like Jackson, Clark & Harris, it doesn't surprise me that the scouting staff had an inside line on a talented unknown. While the drafts haven't been perfect by any means, this team has consistently managed to find both starting-level and depth talent that seems to've eluded the measureables-heavy, computer-driven tunnel vision that seems so prevalent across the NFL these days.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't one of the first things Elway did was overhaul the staff and add in heavy analytics to the organization?
I could have sworn that was one of his big pushes. For more use of analytics and refinement of procedures through it.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #19
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Big Webster fan as well. He already brings physicality to the position, and if he can learn some good cover skills the sky is the limit.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #20
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

I love Webster's game, he's big, physical(almost safety like in his physicality) and seems pretty heady.
For all those who ask why you say a 5-11 198 lb CB is big. A normal CB is about 5-10 180-185 lb. They are also normally really sleek in their build(look at Champ, he's a bigger CB but still sleek). They tend to be good at coverage but can get taken advantage off by bigger WR's.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I really think he's a starter next year. He had one bad play before the half, but he also was the only CB who had any luck with physical play on Dez. Really, the only DB who had a decent game. For being as stout as he is, dude is really fluid and explosive in space. Not very many DB's have that sort of shot out of a cannon explosiveness (pre injured Bob Sanders, Troy P, Revis etc.) Kid has that sort of ability. Now if he develops as that type of player remains to be seen, but pretty good start so far.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #22
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

After Witten gashed us in the first two touchdown drives and Wood/Trevathon couldn't cover him, they lined up Webster against Witten a lot for the rest of the game and Witten didn't get another catch till the 4th quarter.

Really liked what I saw of him. He's was fast enough to keep up with Witten and strong enough not to get easily boxed out as well.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #23
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Webster is pretty good for a rookie. Made some impact plays already five games into his rookie season.
Who would have guessed five games in he'd be making a bigger impact (in a positive way) than the guys on the team drafted ahead of him...
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #24
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Just some amazing coaching going on in Denver. I'm trying to figure out if it is Del Rio or Fox...regardless, we should lock that guy up long term.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

The FO definitely found something in Webster. More than I can say for Bolden. That dude is fast but awful.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote