The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
People keep saying this, but I don't think Phillips and Miller will typically be on the field at the same time.
Oh, i def think they will be. For certain. Phillips was lining up as our starting DE yesterday.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #27
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
People keep saying this, but I don't think Phillips and Miller will typically be on the field at the same time.
Phillips is starting RDE.

Passing situations should be:

Miller, Jackson, Wolfe, and Phillips
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Phillips is starting RDE.

Passing situations should be:

Miller, Jackson, Wolfe, and Phillips
I think we will see that combo on passing downs and often
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #29
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

1. On the radio today Terrance Knighton said the Broncos go into each game planning to stop the run first. We have seen this all year long. Wolfe hasn't played barely any snaps at DT (at all) until crunch-time. If you want to pressure the QB up the middle, play Jackson and Wolfe at DT. The choice is up to Del Rio.

2. Romo had 4 completions while holding onto the ball for 5+ seconds (all but one, while running around like a chicken with his head cut-off). Any other time he was in the pocket for that long he was sacked, or had an incompletion.

3. Broncos only had the ball for 6 snaps in the first 17:26 of game time (partially due to Decker's fumble). By then the Cowboys already had 17 points. A similar situation happened in the 4th quarter (after Manning's quick INT). I certainly don't blame the Defense for giving up TD's (on a short field) after only getting a 30-second breather.

4. Wood was gone in the 1st quarter. Fox has acknowledged communication problems existed after that. Then Harris Jr. went out.

5. 1st half: Broncos DL had 6 pressures, and 3 sacks, in 19 pass attempts (48% disruption rate).

6. 2nd half: Broncos DL had 5 pressures, 1 sack, and 1 forced INT, in 17 pass attempts (35% disruption rate).

7. DL was playing pretty darn good up until the end of the 3rd quarter. That's when players like Tony Carter, Nate Irving, and Omar Bolden started giving up huge plays downfield. DRC didn't help with PI, or 79-yard bomb. None of these huge plays in the 2nd half were from Romo having too much time in the pocket. They were all from poor coverage, and poor tackling.

8. Of course, stellar play from the Broncos Defensive line completely shut down the Cowboys when it counted the most, during the last drive.

9. In total:

Tony Romo: 11 pressures, 4 sacks, in 36 pass attempts (42% disruption rate)
Peyton Manning: 4 pressures, 0 sacks, in 42 pass attempts (9% disruption rate)

In reality, I'd like to see the Broncos DL get a few more QB pressures. I believe they can do that easily (and dominate) by playing Jackson and Wolfe more at DT, which will be possible after Von Miller's return. However, as a unit, the Broncos DL played fairly well this game. After the return of the Broncos 4 best players on Defense (Miller, Bailey, Woodyard, Harris), I fully expect the Defense to begin playing like a top 10 unit (barring injury).

Last edited by pricejj; 10-09-2013 at 11:52 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #30
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
3. Broncos only had the ball for 6 snaps in the first 17:26 of game time (partially due to Decker's fumble). By then the Cowboys already had 17 points. A similar situation happened in the 4th quarter (after Manning's quick INT). I certainly don't blame the Defense for giving up TD's (on a short field) after only getting a 30-second breather.
Good post price. One nitpick. Two major additional reasons for why the Broncos only had 6 snaps in the first 17:26 of the game: First, the Broncos D allowed Dallas to go on an 11 play, 79 yard, 6:54 TD drive to open the game. Second, when the Broncos scored a TD on their 2nd drive they did in in 3 plays and 0:50.

The Broncos D deserves full blame for that opening drive.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #31
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Good post price. One nitpick. Two major additional reasons for why the Broncos only had 6 snaps in the first 17:26 of the game: First, the Broncos D allowed Dallas to go on an 11 play, 79 yard, 6:54 TD drive to open the game. Second, when the Broncos scored a TD on their 2nd drive they did in in 3 plays and 0:50.

Sometimes you just have to give the opposition credit for what they've done.

That first Dallas drive was, well, Manning-esque. Great pocket presence by Romo to extend plays where he should have been sacked, throwing perfect strikes to the likes of Witten who wasn't contained well by out LBers, and a great mix of play calls to include screens, boots, play action as well as well timed runs.

That was as good as I've ever seen Romo play and the chances are he'll rarely play at that level again.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #32
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
HE is a good special teams player but he doesn't need to be playing any defense. Can't wait for Champ to return.
I think he made the key block on one of Holidays TDs this year (maybe the last TD he had).
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #33
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Thankfully the Jags are next since their offense is putrid, if any exists at all, so the defense shouldn't have a hard time. The defense is a question, but hopefully Miller and Champ will come back healthy and ready to go soon.

Not much can be added about the Bronco offense that hasn't been stated already. It is almost machine like, with so many weapons and defenses having to defend the whole field and most can't.

The Chiefs will present a problem, at least on paper. They do have a ball control type offense, they don't commit many turnovers, and they have a tough, physical defense, the only kind of defense that can't cause Manning and Co. problems.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #34
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
The Broncos defense knew that life without the suspended Von Miller and the injured Champ Bailey wouldn't be the same. But they didn't know it would be quite like this, with a pass defense ranked last in the league, and where the unit's baseline goal each week -- to hold an opponent below 17 points -- has been elusive. By last Sunday at AT&T Stadium, that benchmark, which the Broncos matched or hit nine times last year -- appeared miles away and far out of sight.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...8-80ce48ab4ee4

I wasn't aware of this "baseline goal". Hopefully they hit is this week, and then get Von back next week and have a better second half.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #35
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Sometimes you just have to give the opposition credit for what they've done.
Agree. Romo played a great game. Let's hope we don't see another QB play like that against us for the rest of this year.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #36
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post

The first drive for any team is where the other team' DC is figuring out what they plan on doing that day. I noticed Witten had zero catches from the mid 1st through the 3rd and into the 4th after lighting up Denver early.

I don't think the first drive is any indication of things to come on most Sundays against Denver
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
Shananahan
Custom User Title

That first drive also included several blown plays that should have been killed in the backfield but were instead converted into first downs.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote