The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
pricejj
jungle

Default Gunfight at the O.K. Corall: Game Notes

1. Trevathan stepped up when no one else would
2. Quentin Jammer please pick up the red courtesy telephone.
3. Shaun Phillips 2 sacks in his first game as starter for the Broncs, including a crucial one on the last drive.
4. Message to Jack: If you're going to play Knighton and Vickerson a majority of time at DT, please don't play zone coverage.
5. Give credit to Robert Ayers and Malik Jackson, you can count on these guys for a couple big plays per game.
6. Good for Wolfe to show up late in the game with 2 pressures up the gut on the last drive (forcing the throw into INT). Good things happen when he's at 3-tech.
7. If anyone wondered why Nate Irving will never be starting MIKE, ask no longer.
8. Great forced fumble by Kayvon Webster, bad to let 'Boys in FG range on 45 yard bomb at end of half.
9. Other than bomb to Dez, DRC played a solid game. Just a brief lack of concentration.
10. Harris Jr. please duck your head when you see a missile approaching.
11. WWIII, please learn how to guard TE's better, you're making me nervous
12. Well Omar Bolden, you are the weakest link
13. Hey Tony Carter, if you value you're job, get your head out of your ass. Consider that a last and final warning.

14. Manning and Co. had the greatest Offensive output of any Bronco game ever, and one of the best Offensively executed games in the history of the NFL.

Last edited by pricejj; 10-06-2013 at 11:23 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Bolden needs to get cut, that guy is awful. Decent speed, no instincts, hasn't flashed anything besides being a liability vs. the pass.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Bolden needs to get cut, that guy is awful. Decent speed, no instincts, hasn't flashed anything besides being a liability vs. the pass.
HE is a good special teams player but he doesn't need to be playing any defense. Can't wait for Champ to return.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I pretty much am threw with Tony Carter. Because of one play. The bomb to their rookie, he had it covered good but missed swatting the ball. He then proceeded to just quit and the WR Sprints for a TD.

Man that disgusted me.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Shananahan
Custom User Title

I don't think he quit; his coverage and swat attempt were so perfect that he was just surprised the guy caught it. It sucks that the other guy made the catch and run, but the majority of the time that play doesn't happen.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
I pretty much am threw with Tony Carter. Because of one play. The bomb to their rookie, he had it covered good but missed swatting the ball. He then proceeded to just quit and the WR Sprints for a TD.

Man that disgusted me.
That was a stupid play, but he didn't quit. The cowboy is a world class sprinter, Duke was coming at him with a full head of steam and dude still was separating from him.

Going for the ball was stupid when he had no help over the top. He needs to make that tackle there.

DRC got caught looking on the long pass to Bryant. Just a bunch of individual bad plays in the secondary yesterday.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
I saw somewhere that Nacho deserves some blame for that play. I'll be curious to see if anyone here noted that.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think most felt Dallas would put up points, but some were just so easy. But in reality, it may have helped Manning and the offense in that Dallas scored so quickly and there were not as many long, ball controlled type drives, so the Bronco offense was able to get right back out there.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Game Notes: This is what an NFL touchdown looks like, apparently.

Romo scrambles outside the pocket and complete a TD pass to put Dallas 39-38 ahead.

1. Notice how their center, 72, is holding so hard that he's able to block Wolfe with just one hand. That one hand happens to be full of Derek's shoulder pad/flap that's pulling so hard that it's giving Wolfe an armpit wedgie.

2. Notice how Shaun Phillips (larger yellow circle) seems to be playing without his right shoulder pad? That's because Brian Waters has grabbed and twisted it in so far, it's somewhere under Phillips' chin.

Phil Simms called this play "Woah, what great blocking by, errr, Waters."
Attached Images

fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
That was a stupid play, but he didn't quit. The cowboy is a world class sprinter, Duke was coming at him with a full head of steam and dude still was separating from him.

Going for the ball was stupid when he had no help over the top. He needs to make that tackle there.

DRC got caught looking on the long pass to Bryant. Just a bunch of individual bad plays in the secondary yesterday.
To your point, I don't think it would have mattered if he didn't quit, but it was obvious he just let up a little once he realized he didn't bat the ball down. Carter isn't slow by any means himself.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Completely off topic Pricejj but watching 9er/Houston game last night I thought of you. I saw Mr Crick make a few plays and he looked like a solid player especially considering where he was drafted.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
Ol#7
Not Too Shabby!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bucky Dilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

Romo scrambles outside the pocket and complete a TD pass to put Dallas 39-38 ahead.

1. Notice how their center, 72, is holding so hard that he's able to block Wolfe with just one hand. That one hand happens to be full of Derek's shoulder pad/flap that's pulling so hard that it's giving Wolfe an armpit wedgie.

2. Notice how Shaun Phillips (larger yellow circle) seems to be playing without his right shoulder pad? That's because Brian Waters has grabbed and twisted it in so far, it's somewhere under Phillips' chin.

You know what, that photo doesnt really show a whole lot. You can get away with holding if it is on the inside. You cant get your hands outside of a defender or hook him. While it looks like there may be illegal hands to the face going on, that picture actually shows pretty good textbook blocking by Dallas. Not to say they didnt also hold, just not seeing the illegality from the snapshot.
Ol#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Have to give Adrian Robinson credit on that last Dallas play/int. He pushed Tyrone Smith back right into Romo and Romo's feet sort of tripped up while he threw that int.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Shaun Phillips is on pace for 17 1/2 sacks.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:

Both of those blocks are legal, though.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Both of those blocks are legal, though.
So pulling on the shoulder pads is legal? I thought it's only inside (around the numbers where you can grab)?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Checked the rule book:

Quote:
Note: Pass blocking: Hand(s) thrust forward that slip outside the body of the defender will be legal if blocker immediately worked to bring them back inside. Hand(s) or arm(s) that encircle a defender—i.e., hook an opponent—are to be considered illegal and officials are to call a foul for holding.

Blocker cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts his movement as the play develops.

Hands cannot be thrust forward above the frame to contact an opponent on the neck, face or head.

Note: The frame is defined as the part of the opponent’s body below the neck that is presented to the blocker.
So I guess it really comes down to opinion of the ref. Did the OL try to immediately work his hands back inside the frame or not.

IMO, they didn't, but then again who the hell cares what I think.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Shaun Phillips is on pace for 17 1/2 sacks.
But, but.....we can't replace Doom's productivity. /sarcasm

Now, he'd have a few more already if Von were playing the opposite side.......just a guess.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
FISH
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So pulling on the shoulder pads is legal? I thought it's only inside (around the numbers where you can grab)?
You usually only see it called if the D lineman gets outside the shoulders of the O linemen and the D lineman gets turned sideways...and even then its often missed
FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Cowboys got some calls at the beginning of the game, we got them in the 4th. It was inconsistent, but averaged out okay I guess.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

JDR has played WAY too much zone the past two games.

The secondary has gotten burned because of it several times.

The strength of this secondary is their ability to play man coverage. I don't know what JDR saw that made him think zone was a better option but I hope that he learns from that and the trend doesn't continue.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
But, but.....we can't replace Doom's productivity. /sarcasm

Now, he'd have a few more already if Von were playing the opposite side.......just a guess.
People keep saying this, but I don't think Phillips and Miller will typically be on the field at the same time.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #23
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
People keep saying this, but I don't think Phillips and Miller will typically be on the field at the same time.
In passing situations they should be.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

You'll never got holding calls when the hands are inside the arms. Blockers can use their hands and grab all they want if their hands are inside the defenders arms. Those are legal plays. Just saying. How many times do you see a guy who is being blocked who can't "get off the block". When that linemen grabs your pads or jersey on the inside, he can death grip you all he wants. That's why they try and teach the defenders to keep the OLmen's hands off you.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #25
pricejj
jungle

Quote:

The Dallas O-Line used that tactic the entire game, grabbing and holding onto the jersey, while hooking under the outside on top of the shoulder pads with both hands. I doubt that is legal, because otherwise other teams (including the Broncos) would be using it. If it is legal, I would fully expect the Broncos OL to start using it immediately.

Last edited by pricejj; 10-07-2013 at 12:30 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote