The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #51
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
well it's done now. Federal Government is closed for business.
And the world continues to revolve without a hitch!

The Federal Government is 60% operational, and is indeed open for business. All essential services remain untouched.

Doesn't it feel great to not be getting in deeper debt every single day?

Aaaaaaahhhh feels good!
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #52
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
And the world continues to revolve without a hitch!

The Federal Government is 60% operational, and is indeed open for business. All essential services remain untouched.

Doesn't it feel great to not be getting in deeper debt every single day?

Aaaaaaahhhh feels good!
You do realize the shutdown will actually contribute more to the debt, right?

Man, you're dense.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #53
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
You do realize the shutdown will actually contribute more to the debt, right?

Man, you're dense.
And Obamacare won't?
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #54
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie

b**** Please!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Shutdown costs $1-2 billion dollars depending on length of closure and that is just the shut down and restart of the agencies closed. All the secretaries, admin staff are furloughed. These people make only $25K a year and you dont' think they won't get ****ed by this. They've already been furloughed 6 days this year, additionally 4 years of no pay raises despite cost of living increases. Now in addition as long as they don't make this agreement, the debt ceiling is probably going to fail which means the USG will default on many loans throwing our economy into a tailspin. Yes by all means look at the short term with no actual comprehension for the long term and even short term damage this will cause.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #55
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
And Obamacare won't?
The shutdown isn't going to affect the ACA.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #56
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie

b**** Please!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

I know isn't that funny. Federal employees will go in and be put on furlough but Obamacare will roll out tomorrow. People really don't get that what the Republicans did was shut down people already struggling in this economy after being furloughed already. They had 3 years to sort this out and chose now to try to kill it and they failed.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #57
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Shutdown costs $1-2 billion dollars depending on length of closure and that is just the shut down and restart of the agencies closed. All the secretaries, admin staff are furloughed. These people make only $25K a year and you dont' think they won't get ****ed by this. They've already been furloughed 6 days this year, additionally 4 years of no pay raises despite cost of living increases. Now in addition as long as they don't make this agreement, the debt ceiling is probably going to fail which means the USG will default on many loans throwing our economy into a tailspin. Yes by all means look at the short term with no actual comprehension for the long term and even short term damage this will cause.
The Rethugs don't care about the little guy, Miss I! Did you see the amendment they added to the latest iteration of their foolishness?

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/20...r-amendment%20

Even TJs hero Rand Paul thought it was a low blow.

Quote:
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) told ABC that bumping up health care costs for staffers was "probably not a good idea," adding that low-paid staffers will "suffer."
And yet there are some people who think the Rs are doing this because they care about the little guy.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #58
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
We won the 1/3 that controls spending. Congratulations, you won the 2/3 that hasn't done anything lately.

You called me silly, and you called your tax insignificant. I told you that the Revolutionary War was started over a smaller tax. What you do with that information is up to you.

Once again, there is not an individual mandate for me to purchase a bronze-plated seat belt. If you want to pass one, go ahead.

You truly think your law saves money? In fact, that has been disproven.

I have close to $100k in assets, that I can liquify if necessary. Don't worry, you won't be paying for me for anything. However, I reserve the right to purchase health insurance if I so choose. In fact, I could purchase catastrophic accident insurance for 9 cents per paycheck if I want, many employers offer similar plans.
I work in a hospital. You go into the ER, you can blow through that $100k in an afternoon. Then what?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #59
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
That's okay. The banks will be able to pick up some more houses on the cheap.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #60
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I work in a hospital. You go into the ER, you can blow through that $100k in an afternoon. Then what?
Do what Obamacare does! Throw more money at it!

Obamacare makes the world's most expensive healthcare system cost even more. Yippee!!!
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #61
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Do what Obamacare does! Throw more money at it!

Obamacare makes the world's most expensive healthcare system cost even more. Yippee!!!
Yeah, the gouging of Big Pharma, the medical devices industry and Big Insurance have nothing to do with it. It's all Obama's fault. Thanks, Obama!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #62
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Just to be clear - not a single Republican voted for it on either side of the aisle - which is why we are where we are today. If Republicans had been invested into this bill, then it wouldn't even be an issue. This is what happens when you use any means necessary to get legislation passed - you get any means necessary politics to counter it.

This is just a matter of political physics.

And for the record, at this point, I don't think the Republicans are going to release funding on it. I think that if this thing gets funded it will happen after the 2014 election. I think they'll peicemeal the funding grants, and everything will become a debate - the way it should be.
Taco, the ACA is funded through medicare and medicaid, it is not funded through apropriations. There is no way congress can not fund it, that is why they want to delay it - if not funding it was an option it would be easy for them.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #63
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Statistically he will get cancer or have a heart attack.... 100k will be gone for cancer treatment, and a few days in cardiac ICU should blow through his assets pretty quickly... After that, probably begging to get on the public dole to save his life... That's what all the hardliners at my hospital do... Hardcore until lung cancer is stealing your breathe, then all the sudden Socialsim is a pretty good option...
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #64
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
Statistically he will get cancer or have a heart attack.... 100k will be gone for cancer treatment, and a few days in cardiac ICU should blow through his assets pretty quickly... After that, probably begging to get on the public dole to save his life... That's what all the hardliners at my hospital do... Hardcore until lung cancer is stealing your breathe, then all the sudden Socialsim is a pretty good option...
Yep. I see it every day. People come in and say, "I've been paying into health insurance for thirty years and never used it! I'm totally covered."

Then I say, "Yes. Your insurance is paying $325,000 of your bill. You owe the other $125,000. Will that be a check, or money order?"

The worst ones are the obvious Republicans who discover they have to file for disability. Then, they discover what a tiny amount of money that is and say, "I can't live on that." I think to myself, how strange. The Right Wingers you keep electing want to cut even that, and give the rich another tax break.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #65
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

meh. just don't get sick. solves everything.What does the GOP care anyways, they still have health insurance and they still get payed with the shutdown.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #66
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Thanks Obama!

Republicans in Congress also got record-low marks in the poll. Just 17 percent of Americans approved of the job GOP lawmakers were doing, and 74 percent disapproved. That’s the lowest approval ever in Quinnipiac’s polling, and is down from August and July this summer.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...#ixzz2gUSkP9qh
Old 10-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #67
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Like Bill Maher says: Republican health care plan - Die.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #68
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Like Bill Maher says: Republican health care plan - Die.
Actually, that's not true. They've got a pretty decent alternative to Obamacare:

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/GO...lan_061709.pdf

It's my understanding that once they get Obamacare tabled, they'll start putting more focus on it and use 2014 (if they win the referendum) as a mandate to replace Obamacare with it.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #69
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Actually, that's not true. They've got a pretty decent alternative to Obamacare:

It's my understanding that once they get Obamacare tabled, they'll start putting more focus on it and use 2014 (if they win the referendum) as a mandate to replace Obamacare with it.
I have swampland to sell you in Florida. If they had another alternative they would have rolled it out already to "sell" to the public.

I now firmly believe they don't care about Obamacare or anything else. They are so indoctrinated with the false Aryn Rand belief system, that all they want to do is close the federal government and nothing else matters.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #70
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

Hate to tell you, but that write up is so vague as to be meaningless.

Take this one line, Makes it easier for Americans to keep health care coverage regardless of a change in or loss of a job.

Huh? What does that mean? How do you do that?

The only thing I understood was this first provision for lowering costs: Brings greater fairness to the tax code by extending tax savings to those who currently do not have employer-provided insurance but purchase health insurance on their own. This provision would provide an “above the line” deduction that is equal to the cost of an individual’s or family’s insurance premiums.

Sounds like another tax cut for the rich.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #71
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Hate to tell you, but that write up is so vague as to be meaningless.

Take this one line, Makes it easier for Americans to keep health care coverage regardless of a change in or loss of a job.

Huh? What does that mean? How do you do that?

The only thing I understood was this first provision for lowering costs: Brings greater fairness to the tax code by extending tax savings to those who currently do not have employer-provided insurance but purchase health insurance on their own. This provision would provide an “above the line” deduction that is equal to the cost of an individual’s or family’s insurance premiums.

Sounds like another tax cut for the rich.
It's not intended to be a solutions brief. It's a plan overview. Of course the devils are in the detail. As a government program, I don't have a lot of faith in it, but given the awful rollout happening today, how could it be worse?

Obamacare is crushing for small businesses. I don't know how anyone can even start a new business in this environment. This thing is going to be a drag on the economy if we let it continue.

I personally think it has a strong chance of repeal after 2014.

Last edited by Taco John; 10-01-2013 at 02:06 PM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #72
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's not intended to be a solutions brief. It's a plan overview. Of course the devils are in the detail. As a government program, I don't have a lot of faith in it, but given the awful rollout happening today, how could it be worse?

Obamacare is crushing for small businesses. I don't know how anyone can even start a new business in this environment. This thing is going to be a drag on the economy if we let it continue.

how you figure? dems will probably control all 3 house come 2014.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #73
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/10/...ans-43-34.html

Quote:
Shutdown polling has grim news for Republicans. 72% oppose GOP shutdown strategy to block ObamaCare, including 44% of Republicans. Three-in-four independents (74%-19%) object.

But even worse, conventional wisdom that Republicans’ shutdown could not harm them in the midterms because only older white people vote in midterms, especially in the midterm of a president’s second term, is not as sure of a bet as the beltway has assured the GOP.

A new Quinnipiac poll shows voters picking a generic Democrat over a generic Republican 43% to 34%, which they point out is the widest Democratic margin measured so far.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #74
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:

The ACA only effects .12% of small businesses. (97% are under 50 employees, 96% of those with over 50 employees already offer insurance)

"Crushing?" No.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #75
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Taco is dreaming if he thinks this is going to help the snobs on the right. move on righties, obamacare is rolling out, your shutdown does nothing but reinforce your lack of morality for the american public.it does nothing but reinforce that your party is controlled by extermists.it does nothing but reinforce you as sore losers.