The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Johnykbr
Seasoned Veteran

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default Where's Wolfe?

The only game I got to see the whole way through so far was Baltimore so I may be way off but are we seeing early signs of the dreaded sophomore slump? Checking out the stat line, he has been large non-existent out there. For people in the know, is he lining up as DE or he inside?
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Wait until Von is back. He will roar down the stretch.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
G6matty
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hes about as useful as sylvester williams
G6matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Wolfe has been a big disappointment in the pass rush so far, but he has been a stud against the run.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

He doing what he supposed to. Holding the edge and keeping the LBs clean.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6matty View Post
Hes about as useful as sylvester williams
I am going to give Sylvester a little bit of time, but since he is already 32 or something like that -- it cannot be too much. Few DT's make big impacts their rookie seasons, but hopefully he can turn it up as the season progresses. He looks overmatched, has sloppy technique and is clearly still not conditioned well enough to play at a solid level in high altitude. D- grade for lackluster performance.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
backup qb
Ring of Famer

I saw Williams get a decent push on one play last night. Baby steps. How can anyone complain about Wolfe? He's part of a unit that is playing very well without the best pass rusher in the nfl and and a hof cb. He'll get his. He's not going to be a 10-12 sack guy. He's a lunch pail type.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Ive noticed they keep rushing Wolfe from the edge

It seems he did the most damage in the nickel D when he was inside
But again from what I have seen they are keeping him on the edge and puttin guys like Malik Jackson on the inside

Not sure if they are experimenting with things or what but hopefully Wolfe can start generating pressures like he did last year
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

but his run defense is still superb so its not like hes a turd out there
Old 09-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
lolcopter
mile high

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
lolcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I think the way they use Wolfe is to take double-teams from the OL. He's a low key guy that's getting a big paycheck to do that kind of grunt work and he's happy to do so.

He can take on a double team and stand his ground enough to free the nickle D backside guys to make plays. Wolfe does seem to get double teamed a lot.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Exactly. .....where do these people come from?
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Yes, I think he is having a good year. We may not get gaudy sack totals like kFc but we are also stopping the run better. We have to be near the top vs the run and in the top 10 vs the pass whereas kFc only can pass rush.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think the disconnect in some people's expectations is coming from the offseason hype. Von compared Wolfe to JJ Watt at least once. I know I was hoping for more disruption from him in the passing game. I guess it was just standard "we are going to turn the DL loose" offseason crap.
outdoor_miner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
DenverBound
Perennial Pro-bowler

CotY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
I think the way they use Wolfe is to take double-teams from the OL. He's a low key guy that's getting a big paycheck to do that kind of grunt work and he's happy to do so.

He can take on a double team and stand his ground enough to free the nickle D backside guys to make plays. Wolfe does seem to get double teamed a lot.
THIS is where Wolfe has been. Eating up double teams. Wait until von gets back and they can't do that anymore. It's going to be funny watching everyone think that he just all of the sudden came on.
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post
I think the disconnect in some people's expectations is coming from the offseason hype. Von compared Wolfe to JJ Watt at least once. I know I was hoping for more disruption from him in the passing game. I guess it was just standard "we are going to turn the DL loose" offseason crap.
Von was either high, drinking the Kool-Aid or was drunk. I do not take much of what Von said too damn serious any longer.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

WTF is all this talk about Wolfe there to take up double teams?

The raiders were in plenty of obvious passing downs, including most of their 3rd down plays. Wolfe was lined up at DE/DT and moved around a lot, and yes, asked to rush the QB. Even Knighton was playing to get into the backfield at times instead of just holding his lanes.

This guy was drafted for his pass rush, it's what got him selected high in the 2nd round.

Has he been disapointing so far this season rushing the QB? Absolutey. He doesn't close to the QB.

Does that mean he's a bust? Hell no. He's still a very, very good run stopper but I really don't get the orangemane hype around this guy. Malik Jackson has outplayed him the first two games and has started to see more and more snaps as a result including at the DE position.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
mennonite
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Last edited by mennonite; 09-24-2013 at 04:40 PM..
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
enjolras
Ring of Famer

This got me curious so I decided to pay special attention to Wolfe while re-watching the game. I missed the first possession, so lets pick it up on the second Raiders drive.

2nd possession
-----------------

1st and 15: Isolated on a guard one-on-one. Too high, bottled up.
2nd and 14: Pryor flushed from pocket, isolated on left tackle. Too high, bottled up.
3rd and 17: Back at tackle. Double teamed out of the play.

3rd possession
-----------------

3rd and 10: lined up at right end. Took an inside move into a double team. I think this was the blitz design. A linebacker was coming but chose to stay inside. Wolfe had opened a clear path to the QB.

4th possession
-----------------

1st and 10 (Raider 20): lined up at left end. Set the edge well, but Pryor took off the other direction and gained 22.

1st and 10 (Raider 43): On the field, but I lost him in a mass of humans

2nd and 10 (Raider 43): Lined up at tackle. Good leverage, assisted on a run stop.

3rd and 6 (Raider 46) : Lined up at right DE. Takes the tackle back. Makes a really nice inside move and gets pressure on Pryor. Late developing, however and pass is completed.

2nd and 10 (Bronco 44): Lined up at right DE. Makes a really nice low move. Stuffs the run at the line of scrimmage.

3rd and 12 (Bronco 46): Lined up at right DE. Came on a stunt. right into a triple team. You would like him to chip the tackle a bit, but otherwise he had no chance here.

5th possession
-----------------

1st and 10 (Raiders 20): Left tackle. Badly badly badly washed out of the play in one-on-one blocking.

2nd and 7 (Raiders 23): Left tackle. Attempts to set edge, play goes the other way. Completely bottled up if the play was reversed tho. One-on-one again.

3rd and 3 (Raiders 27): Left end. Chipped by tight-end and turned up-field. Loses balance and then to add insult to the whole thing, Vickerson falls in front of him and takes him even further out of the play. Touchdown Raiders.

This was a absolutely shockingly poor three plays for Wolfe. Embarrassingly so.

6th possession
-----------------

1st and 10 (Raiders 20): Left end, good penetration against soft blocking. Quick pass away from him.

1st and 20 (Raiders 10): Right end, quick off the ball (finally!) but it's an inside run to the right.

2nd and 17 (Raiders 13): Right end. Quick to the edge and sets a nice edge sealing up his side of the pocket (it looks to me like they were wanting to contain Pryor here rather than attempt to actually beat the tackle up field). Ayers fails to do the same and Pryor gains about 10.

3rd and 7 (Raiders 23): Beats the guard 1-on-1 off the ball and gets great penetration. He's most definitely held as Pryor moves away from him. Leads to a sack for Ayers.

This was a nice comeback all and all after the dreadful series before.

7th possession
-----------------

1st and 10 (Raiders 20): Right tackle. Nice and quick off the ball. Recognizes screen too late, and the back was 3 or so yards behind so couldn't do much about it.

1st and 10 (Raiders 34): Right end. Stunts inside and pushes the pocket well.

1st and 10 (50) : Right tackle. Stunts outside and takes out two linemen. This was a really nice play.

Overall I'd classify his 1st half performance as very up and down. He's certainly not a dynamic player. He's not cleanly beating anyone, but he's generally showing good technique and good field awareness.

He's not facing nearly as many double teams as posters here seem to think tho.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Im wondering if the injury isnt affecting him still

He looked good in the preseason before he got hurt in terms of being disruptive, so that why it is odd that he seems to be so ineffective thus far

But yeah Malik is definitely eating into his snaps
Old 09-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #21
enjolras
Ring of Famer

2nd half.

1st possession
----------------

1st and 20 (Raider 10): Left end. Fails to set a good edge and Pryor scrambles out around him.

1st and 22 (Raider 8): Left end. Off the ball ok, but play is a quick out to the other side.

2nd and 7 (Raider 23): Left end. Clean beats his man in 1-on-1. Contributes to a full team run stuff on McFadden.

3rd and 13 (Raider 16): Ball snapped over Pryor's head. Lined up at right tackle. Broken play, but does get pressure on Pryor once he recovered.

2nd possession
-----------------

3rd and 5 (Raider 32 - following Manning fumble): Lined up at right tackle. Stunts to the out to the right and out runs his man and gets a bit of pressure, but big completion.

1st and 10 (Bronco 45): Lined up right tackle, play goes away from him.

Not on the field for a Raider TD.

3rd Possession
-----------------

1st and 10 (Raider 20): Lined up at right tackle. Beats his man and collapses pocket leading to a sack from the outside.

3rd and 7: Right end, gets decent edge pressure.

1st and 10 (Raider 40): Double teamed from right tackle out of play.

2nd and 10 (Raider 40): Left tackle. Double teamed but still manages to get a bit of middle pressure. He didn't beat anyone, but good leverage pushed the pocket a bit.

2nd and goal: Left end. Stunts inside. Held the middle really well with others. Pryor gets a concussion.

3rd and goal: Left tackle. Unrein and Wolfe collapse the pocket, but coverage underneath is soft.

4th and goal: Right end. Seals up his edge, but it's a pass that drops incomplete so not involved in play really.

Overall I think Wolfe is an effective tackle and a passable defensive run stopping defensive end. He's well below average when rushing from the outside position. It's in the Broncos best interest to find a way to keep him playing inside all the time
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #22
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I'm not sure how to look at this...
I think our defense is stapled by our linebackers, where we've got some speed and very effective plays.
I think the bigger guys are doing a great job containing the middle, stopping the run and the LB's taking care of the pass...
Also, our secondary seems to be making a lot of plays as well. Safeties are looking great, nice coverage, and our corners are playing physical...

Second year into Del Rio's system, it's just going the keep getting better...

Last edited by strafen; 09-24-2013 at 06:29 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #23
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Im wondering if the injury isnt affecting him still

He looked good in the preseason before he got hurt in terms of being disruptive, so that why it is odd that he seems to be so ineffective thus far

But yeah Malik is definitely eating into his snaps
He looked good cause Von was out there. Von comes back so will Wolfes production.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #24
pricejj
jungle

Where's Wolfe? Same place he's always been. And yes, he is an impact player, IF put in the proper position. The dude simply tears it up when he plays inside.

Let's breakdown Wolfe's 40 snaps against the Raiders:

25 snaps at DE (both 5-tech and 4-3 DE):
Remember, Wolfe is no outside speed-rusher. However, with Von Miller's absence (and the loss of Dumervil), Wolfe is being asked to take on OT's a majority of the time (~70%). Contrast that to last season, when Wolfe played DT on 70% of snaps. Half of Wolfe's snaps at DE are in Base Defense (5-tech) where the Broncos play to stop the run. Like last year, Wolfe is rarely able to generate pressure on the QB in Base Defense. Wolfe was able to generate a couple pressures against the Raiders as a 4-3 DE, but nothing spectacular. He runs a 4.93 forty, and is simply not equipped to speed-rush on the outside. Playing Wolfe at 4-3 DE is not his strong suit, but there are few DE's that stop the run as well as Wolfe. Unfortunately, until Miller comes back, the Broncos will be forced to play Wolfe at 4-3 DE WAY more than he normally would.

15 snaps at DT (both 3-tech and 1-tech):
Wolfe really didn't even play at DT until the 2nd half (mostly the 4th quarter, and that's where he really shines. Wolfe had 9 snaps at DT (the entire game) where he was only single-teamed. 2 of those plays were runs that resulted in no gain (tackles by other Broncos). Now comes the kicker....

Derek Wolfe was single-teamed at DT for only 7 pass plays the entire game. In those 7 pass plays, Wolfe had 6 penetration/pressures where he collapsed the pocket. 2 of those plays, Wolfe flushed Pryor directly into Ayers lap for sacks.

Wolfe cannot be stopped by Offensive Guards. He's a real impact player at 3-tech.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #25
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Too much meth?