The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #126
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Here's the Broncos pass-rush stats from the 1st half. Vick barely escaped at least 2 first half drive-killing sacks with his elite speed.
Maybe you've never watched Vick play before, but he inflates those stats with his style of play. He holds onto the ball too long and tries to make something out of every play. He gets hit after his throws a lot because of this. Yes, in the first half we sometimes got pressure on him and he scrambled out of it. But I also recall more than a few plays where he had far too much time in a clean pocket. We did much better in the 2nd half.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #127
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

We need to give credit where it is due. When Vick is on and running well and they avoid turnovers the Eagles have an O that is pretty scary. The D can't really attack the QB in the same way or he will run wild. They have a great running back and very good O-line. Vick made lemonade out of lemons about 6 times this game.

And we held them to 13 points until garbage time. And do you remember when we had Von against Cam Newton?

This D is very good and gonna move to scary once Von returns.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #128
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

This defense looks great even with it's best player out. Just wait til Von comes back and we really get a pass rush to go with our lock down corners. Plus add Champ in the mix with that too.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #129
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
traction

myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #130
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Maybe you've never watched Vick play before.
Maybe you didn't watch the game. Broncos Defense held the Eagles starter's to 13 points, while harassing, hitting, knocking-down, and sacking the NFL's most elusive QB on a vast majority of his drop-backs.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #131
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Maybe you didn't watch the game. Broncos Defense held the Eagles starter's to 13 points, while harassing, hitting, knocking-down, and sacking the NFL's most elusive QB on a vast majority of his drop-backs.
But they got lots of yards so our defense must totally suck!!!
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #132
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Subtract the inevitable yardage Vick was going to get no matter what on the ground (41 yards) and add in the fact that McCoy was held to 4.5 ypc instead of his customary 6.9 and you're left with the best rushing team in the league compiling an inaequate running game that logged about 120 yard on the ground from the running backs...not nearly enough in a game like this. Put another way...this offense ran up something like 430 yards last week in spite of 4 turnovers. They didn't turn it over at all in this game, but imagine what the score would have been if they had? I'm sticking to my assessment, that his defense is nasty. It's fast, deep, loaded with playmakers and deep at every position. And we don't even have Champ or Miller in there yet. Denver needed to contain an explosive offense built on speed and keep them from big plays, which for the most part is what they did. Keep in mind...these guys haven't even played together for any length of time yet. Ihenacho is brand new, and so is DRC and Knighton. WWIII is brand new to the MLB spot, Danny Trevathan is a new starter, and Nate Irving is just starting to even approach his potential...this is a guy who almost died just a couple years ago and he's lucky to even be alive let alone playing in the NFL. When this bunch gets some familiarity with each other and grows in Del Rio's system, we're gong to have a monster defense here...wait and see. This is already probably a top 5 group on the back 7 in terms of speed and they are young. I just hope Del Rio doesn't leave for an HC job next year.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #133
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
lol. Again, this happens to Vick against almost every team. The Redskins sacked him 3 times, Chargers twice, Chiefs six times. This is not a criticism of the Broncos so calm yourself. I'm just telling you not to get carried away with our pressure numbers from this game.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #134
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
lol. Again, this happens to Vick against almost every team. The Redskins sacked him 3 times, Chargers twice, Chiefs six times. This is not a criticism of the Broncos so calm yourself. I'm just telling you not to get carried away with our pressure numbers from this game.
And we have just two games to go before the NFL's most prolific pass rusher returns. I'm not complaining about 7 sacks combined from Ayers and Phillips in just four games so far.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #135
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Go ahead and list our sacks and snap-to-sack duration?
That's what I like to do, actually count the seconds from snap to sack/hurry/pressure to get a more accurate account of what's going on.

Phillips got a sack clean just by blowing past his RT in just around 2 seconds which was a true speed rush sack.

Ayers sort of stumbled into his after 2.8-3 seconds or so and I think Woodyard or Wolfe finished it off.

All in all, I'd say both of you and DENVERDUI55 are right.

Our base lineman of Knighton/Vickerson/Wolfe don't beat their guys when it comes to pass rush but they are stout, strong against the run and do disrupt there.

Ayers, Jackson, and then Phillips are our best pass rushers and they do a very good job of beating one on one matchups, altho Phillips goes hot and cold.

Both Jackson and Ayers got consistent pressure on Vick and in the 2nd half when the Eagles more or less abandoned the option game and went traditional drop back passing, our DL and blitzing just abused them.

Malik Jackson especially was getting pressure from all angles, inside, stunting outside, at DE where he nearly destroyed Vick on one play only for him to duck under Jackson.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #136
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

Our base lineman of Knighton/Vickerson/Wolfe don't beat their guys when it comes to pass rush

Malik Jackson especially was getting pressure from all angles, inside, stunting outside, at DE where he nearly destroyed Vick on one play only for him to duck under Jackson.
Hold on there Cowboy.

1. Malik Jackson only had a few plays from DE, and didn't do anything there. In fact, he did not play contain on the edge leading to a long gain in the 1st quarter. Jackson would not play at DE again the rest of the game.

2. After that, Jackson played exclusively at 3-tech. He drew a double-team 2 times on probably about 20 snaps (contrast that that to Wolfe who is double-teamed about half the time when he plays at 3-tech).

3. Jackson showed sporadic effort against the run, and in fact finished the game with ZERO tackles and ZERO measurable stats.

4. That's not to say Malik Jackson didn't have a decent game. I give him credit for 3 pressures on the QB, while getting penetration on 2 other snaps.

5. Most of Jackson's pressures/penetration came while looping outside the OT from the 3-tech position, where the OG would just let him go expecting another player to pick him up (bad communication). I only counted one play (the OG tackled Jackson from the back), where Jackson squarely beat his man. It was a great play, and caused a penalty which forced the Eagles out of FG range.

6. To claim that Wolfe isn't a good pass-rusher is pure fallacy. Wolfe did not get a single snap from 3-tech against the Eagles. He played at DE the entire game, recording 2 tackles and 1 sack. I've stated many times before that Wolfe is not an impact pass-rusher at DE (too slow), however, he is getting better at setting the edge, and did record a sack. No doubt matching up against OT's every snap is making Wolfe even better.

In any event, once Miller gets back, Wolfe will once again go back to getting the majority of his snaps at 3-tech. At 3-tech, Wolfe is pretty much unstoppable. He recorded 6 sacks from 3-tech in 2012, and is much more explosive this year.

A pass-rushing DL of Miller, Jackson, Wolfe, and Phillips WILL collapse the pocket with reckless abandon. Each player would be put in a position that they can consistently beat their man.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #137
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

I see "flashes" of nasty, but not consistent nasty; not yet. However, I also see a soft under belly at times too. It seems this defense goes into a soft zone at times that tends to give a lot of room to the WR to get open and the QB a lot of time to find him. Miller will do wonders to shore this up; Champ too I suspect.

But they, like the offense, makes superb 2nd half adjustments.

Btw, I could be wrong, but it seems like Irving gets into the backfield for a TFL at least once a game, sometimes more. He really is playing nasty for the limited reps he gets. Not sure why he is so limited in snaps, but I would really like to see more.
R8R H8R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #138
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Von hits from the bong.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:19 AM   #139
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Hold on there Cowboy.

1. Malik Jackson only had a few plays from DE, and didn't do anything there. In fact, he did not play contain on the edge leading to a long gain in the 1st quarter. Jackson would not play at DE again the rest of the game.

2. After that, Jackson played exclusively at 3-tech. He drew a double-team 2 times on probably about 20 snaps (contrast that that to Wolfe who is double-teamed about half the time when he plays at 3-tech).

3. Jackson showed sporadic effort against the run, and in fact finished the game with ZERO tackles and ZERO measurable stats.

4. That's not to say Malik Jackson didn't have a decent game. I give him credit for 3 pressures on the QB, while getting penetration on 2 other snaps.

5. Most of Jackson's pressures/penetration came while looping outside the OT from the 3-tech position, where the OG would just let him go expecting another player to pick him up (bad communication). I only counted one play (the OG tackled Jackson from the back), where Jackson squarely beat his man. It was a great play, and caused a penalty which forced the Eagles out of FG range.

6. To claim that Wolfe isn't a good pass-rusher is pure fallacy. Wolfe did not get a single snap from 3-tech against the Eagles. He played at DE the entire game, recording 2 tackles and 1 sack. I've stated many times before that Wolfe is not an impact pass-rusher at DE (too slow), however, he is getting better at setting the edge, and did record a sack. No doubt matching up against OT's every snap is making Wolfe even better.

In any event, once Miller gets back, Wolfe will once again go back to getting the majority of his snaps at 3-tech. At 3-tech, Wolfe is pretty much unstoppable. He recorded 6 sacks from 3-tech in 2012, and is much more explosive this year.

A pass-rushing DL of Miller, Jackson, Wolfe, and Phillips WILL collapse the pocket with reckless abandon. Each player would be put in a position that they can consistently beat their man.
Dude, you're pretty much saying what I just said. Wolfe isn't an impact pass rusher and Jackson had a good game attacking the back field (I didn't mention anything about his play against the run).
Old 10-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #140
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I was referring to the first half. And I stand by what I said.
Were you?

You do?

E Mail Elway and tell him about yourself and your expertise, he'll be impressed.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #141
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #142
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Dude, you're pretty much saying what I just said. Wolfe isn't an impact pass rusher and Jackson had a good game attacking the back field (I didn't mention anything about his play against the run).
Wolfe is an impact pass-rusher at 3-tech.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #143
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Hey Rev... Is this "garbage time" Like I have been saying this D is not as good as most of you think. They have stopped ZERO so far. Missing tackles, making Romo look all pro so far.

Flame away defense homers
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #144
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

This is the first game they've played where they have been straight up bad. I hope it's an anomaly.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #145
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

400 yards + 33 points and they are in the 3rd qtr. Like I have been saying all along, they are WAY over rated. Nasty no, great? not even close to good. Imagine what Rodgers or Brees would do to this defense. There is a ton of work to do here.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #146
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Bob Slowik put this gameplan together, right? right?
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #147
enjolras
Ring of Famer

With regards to the thread title.

enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #148
rmsanger
Ring of Famer

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Good luck getting the USC job JACK.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #149
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

This is a repeat of the Baltimore game. No pressure in the 2nd half, offense taking a break and the our secondary taking turns getting burnt.

Do we even have safeties on the field?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #150
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Bottom line... They are not good. Peyton is the only reason they are not the joke of the NFL