The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #26
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

I don't understand the hand wringing about "garbage points".

The game is well in hand at that point. Who cares if the other team scores a few garbage points?

Is winning by 2+ TD's no longer an acceptable blowout? Do we need to win by 40 before we are satisfied?

The Broncos are completely rolling teams right now. This game was over halfway through the 2nd quarter. I wish Ball didn't fumble, but that's really about it.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #27
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Where do you not see them winning one on ones? I see them winning one on ones at every position on a regular basis.
In the run game, no question they are Charlie Sheen winning on most plays!

However, they are not winning on pass plays very often up front without blitz scheme to pressure the QB and even on the back end they have made some major errors and simply been beaten in man coverages too often from what I have seen. Pryor is not quite very good yet and he still had time to make plays in the passing game and had several open players available even if he missed a bunch early with poor throws.

Sure, losing Carter and Nacho hurt in the second half, but Adams and Moore had major communication issues and Trevathan got beat several times in man by the TE Rivera on blitzes.

I guess your definition of regular basis may be different than mine here, but not enough plays are being made in the passing game to call them nasty right now...
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #28
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Where do you not see them winning one on ones? I see them winning one on ones at every position on a regular basis.
I don't see the DL winning one on ones in the pass rush department. Von should help that but they have been dominant in the run defense department.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #29
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Where is the love for Sly? I see everyone talking up the whole defense except for Sly. Sure he isnt racking up the tackles and sacks BUT he is taking valuable space for the others to make the plays, he has been a great addition so far.
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #30
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
...and simply been beaten in man coverages too often...
Made Denarius Moore (who?!?) look good last night. Need to clean it up or the Eagles will bust some big plays on us this Sunday.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #31
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

However, they are not winning on pass plays very often up front without blitz scheme to pressure the QB and even on the back end they have made some major errors and simply been beaten in man coverages too often from what I have seen. Pryor is not quite very good yet and he still had time to make plays in the passing game and had several open players available even if he missed a bunch early with poor throws.

Sure, losing Carter and Nacho hurt in the second half, but Adams and Moore had major communication issues and Trevathan got beat several times in man by the TE Rivera on blitzes.

I guess your definition of regular basis may be different than mine here, but not enough plays are being made in the passing game to call them nasty right now...
We played contain with him last night tried to have him beat us in the pocket through the air. No pressure means people will get open and Pryor took advantage of that.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #32
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
We played contain with him last night tried to have him beat us in the pocket through the air. No pressure means people will get open and Pryor took advantage of that.
Do not be confused about how DEN played Pryor last night, they used a double twist stunt to make sure Pryor had no running lanes to the outside when they had no Spy dedicated to him in man coverage. They also wanted to gain more inside pressure to get him to make bad decisions.

Just because they ran stunts, does not mean they did not try and apply pressure. They just were not as effective as they wanted to be there or in regular pass rush mode when they dedicated a Spy on him in zone coverage.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #33
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

That's crazy talk! What you're describing is the Redskins' D.

Everything you're attributing to lost one-on-one matchups is directly caused by two things:

1. Large point margin
2. Soft defenses

People aren't getting beat. They're playing off and even getting bored.

One could argue quality of offensive opposition, but that's the only legitimate concern moving forward.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #34
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
That's crazy talk! What you're describing is the Redskins' D.

Everything you're attributing to lost one-on-one matchups is directly caused by two things:

1. Large point margin
2. Soft defenses

One could argue quality of offensive opposition, but that's the only legitimate concern moving forward.
I am not watching the Redskins "D" at all, that is way too painful right now

I disagree with people not getting beat, I do agree the quality of the QB's to do something about it has not been very good. Eli has struggled horribly this year and Pryor as I said missed a lot early.

I am also not giving them a pass for not playing 60 minutes either. You might be ok with calling them bored, but I never will and you know that. DRC got beat straight up several times by Denarius Moore last night before it was garbage time or he was bored. They did get tricked several times with the option pass play and read option.

They were very good last night against a very limited offense with a young QB who made some plays on them in the second half. However, Oak missed a bunch of plays early that they made late and that was as much a reason for those 3 and outs as it was straight up winning one on one IMHO. And, they still have not figured out how to cover Marcel Reece. I like that kid he played like a stud last night...
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #35
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

A good passing QB would of had a great game last night. There were plenty of open players that Pryor couldn't find. Denver struggled getting consistent pressure against one of the worst OL in the league that is filled with cast offs and has beens. Reminded me of the Coyer D's back in the day with the lack of rush without sending extra guys.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #36
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Made Denarius Moore (who?!?) look good last night. Need to clean it up or the Eagles will bust some big plays on us this Sunday.
The other team gets paid too...they will make plays. But that long TD was a fluke. A nice 15-17 yard gain that turned into a 70 yarder because we went full retard
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #37
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
A good passing QB would of had a great game last night. There were plenty of open players that Pryor couldn't find. Denver struggled getting consistent pressure against one of the worst OL in the league that is filled with cast offs and has beens. Reminded me of the Coyer D's back in the day with the lack of rush without sending extra guys.
Plenty of open players says the guy who im sure didnt want the all-22. And the defense we play week to week will look different depending on the team.

We also barely threw in a blitz. And essentially gave up 14 points (one of which was a fluke TD). But, by all means, its panic time.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #38
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Plenty of open players says the guy who im sure didnt want the all-22. And the defense we play week to week will look different depending on the team.

We also barely threw in a blitz. And essentially gave up 14 points (one of which was a fluke TD). But, by all means, its panic time.
Hell no, it's NOT panic time.

The name of the thread is this is a NASTY Defense implying they oppose their will on opposing Offenses. I am simply stating it is not Nasty yet and has plenty of issues with pass Rush that allows guys to come open even against good coverage right now.

There are plenty of negative threads out there, however this one would be full on homer to suggest this is an elite or nasty defense at this point IMHO.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #39
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I would take the all-22 not sure what that means. Your right Denver barely blitz but that still doesn't change my point that Denver is having trouble getting a CONSISTENT pass rush with the 4 down linemen. Von will help out for sure and it isn't panic time yet. It is just a point that I am concerned with because the Oakland Offensive line is terrible.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #40
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Hell no, it's NOT panic time.

The name of the thread is this is a NASTY Defense implying they oppose their will on opposing Offenses. I am simply stating it is not Nasty yet and has plenty of issues with pass Rush that allows guys to come open even against good coverage right now.

There are plenty of negative threads out there, however this one would be full on homer to suggest this is an elite or nasty defense at this point IMHO.
Fair enough. I def. don't think its elite. But i dont think last night's performance was indicative of a paper tiger either.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #41
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I would take the all-22 not sure what that means. Your right Denver barely blitz but that still doesn't change my point that Denver is having trouble getting a CONSISTENT pass rush with the 4 down linemen. Von will help out for sure and it isn't panic time yet. It is just a point that I am concerned with because the Oakland Offensive line is terrible.
Sorry, i meant watch the all-22.

And I agree the pass rush wasnt amazing yesterday, but they also seemed very concerned with keeping Pryor contained. Which they did a pretty decent job of doing.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #42
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:

1. Large point margin
2. Soft defenses

Joe Flacco had 183 yards passing in the first half against us in week 1.
Eli Manning had 180 yards passing in the first half against us in week 2.

Both of those are too much to give up in a half, and neither can or should be attributed to a "large point margin" or players being "bored" since both opponents were very much in the game in the first half. Translation: somebody was getting beat.

Panic time? No. Improvement needed? Yes.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #43
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
But that long TD was a fluke.
The getting soundly beat part wasn't a fluke. But yes, the part where the defenders ran into each other and fell down allowing a long TD was a bit flukey.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #44
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

@TerrellePryor: Sorry about the loss RaiderNation. I don't remember much ! Good hit by whoever it was. I heard our team fought well .. We will be back!
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #45
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
The getting soundly beat part wasn't a fluke. But yes, the part where the defenders ran into each other and fell down allowing a long TD was a bit flukey.
Soundly getting beat for a 15 yard gain. It's gonna happen. its not gonna be 3 and outs every time.

The other guys get paid too.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #46
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Conclusion: change the title of the thread to "This run defense is nasty" and nobody has a problem.

43 rushing yds per game (next closest gives up 66!). Even after last night's game, Oakland is still #3 in the league in rushing with 150 yds per game, so it's not like we have faced only creampuffs.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #47
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
DRC was not soundly beat on that play, the fluke was his positioning after Moore had the catch. He was in trail technique but overran the WR's outside hip and instead of being underneath and going through him he got behind and inside of him right where nacho was coming to hit him.

The only thing I can attribute to that is he was trying to make up the position with the ball in the air and the WR adjusted to the throw and it got DRC on the wrong side and caused Nacho to drill him instead of Moore. That was the fluke.

What I am trying to figure out there is why Nacho and Moore were reversed in their roles and why Moore was so shallow with no receivers underneath unless he was Spying Pryor. There was a huge throwing lane there that even Pryor could put that ball on target.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #48
Bronco Yoda

They ARE playing nasty! Love it!

Now they need to take the next step and become DOMINATING! Me thinks it will take Champ and Miller to take this group to the next level.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #49
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

This defense won't be recognized for as good as it is because they will be playing with a lead, and they will have to defend more possessions as fast as Manning scores. That said, Pryor looked pretty good last night, and the pass rush was almost non-existent. We need Von back, and that will change things A LOT...

The run defense has been amazing. Take out the one big run by Pryor, and the raiders were 16-26yds. Giants went 19-23 yds. Ravens went 21-58 yds (26 were on 12 and 14 yd runs by Rice and Pierce respectively).

Travathon, Harris and DRC have been awesome in coverage. Bring back Champ healthy, and get Von back to rush the passer, and the defense will be much better.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #50
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Conclusion: change the title of the thread to "This run defense is nasty" and nobody has a problem.
That's pretty much it. Just some puzzling lapses here and there in pass defense. Like the kind that cost us that playoff game last year.