The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Default The Adam Gase appreciation thread...

The guy has all the weapons in the world at his disposal, but you really do have to appreciate what this guy is doing. He's scheming an offense that is just making defenses look silly. I've never seen an offense that scores more easy touchdowns than this one.

I think the most telling thing is how the safeties look by the end of the third quarter. They bite on every fake. They look completely indecisive. They move their wide receivers and tight-ends all over the field and show different looks on nearly every play.

I often felt like Manning was pressing to make McCoy's offense work. This year he's putting Manning in great spots, and Manning (being himself) is making all the right decisions. It's just a thing of beauty, and the coordinator deserves much of the credit.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Fun night to be a Denver Broncos fan, Brothers.

Fun season. 3 weeks in.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Aint no McCoy, and that's a good thing.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Gase >>>>> McCoy

It's hard to know how good really is with how much Manning does, but it's clear he's much better than the guy he replaced.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

Offense looks less predictable
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Roll View Post
Offense looks less predictable
Night and day.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Gruden was having fun with all the line-ups tonight.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Gonna need Gase to keep those D's guessing without Clady.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
Bronco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Talib

Gase is doing a great job, I hated McCoy's run, run, pass last year. This is a good offense and a very complex playbook with a smart qb making adjustments so he may look like a wizard calling plays but he is doing a good job keeping the defense guessing.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
broncobum6162
Manning Up!

Baaammmmmmmm!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I love the job he's doing. McCoy was an idiot and glad he's gone.
broncobum6162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobum6162 View Post
I love the job he's doing. McCoy was an idiot and glad he's gone.
This.

He calls some very unconventional routes...look at Mannings numbers...just downright beast mode right now. If we correct the fumbling of Ball, these all look like blow outs.

Studesville gotta get our backs ready for a game. I have seen flashes from each Moreno and Hillman, but have yet to see a complete game from 2 of the 3 - Hillman and Ball.

Last edited by Vegas_Bronco; 09-24-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
chanesaw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

I really like how the running game has improved each week. Gotta make the defenses pay when they put 3 safeties deep.
chanesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I think they have installed a nasty system of formations, matchups, and looks and just simply played the Raiders defense like a piano last night. What is so different about it, than the offense they ran last year is the multiple looks out of multiple personnel packages.

It used to be keep your best 11 on the field versus their 11 and run no huddle to keep them from substituting. They wanted to out execute and wear down other defenses. Now, they kind of keep that concept but sub a lot more and run multiple formations, motions, and personnel to keep the subs from getting comfortable in the defensive play calls and making the Mike have to guess and try to audible to much more limited defensive calls.

This is an evolution of the old INDY offense Moore ran with a much more up to date Matchup beater offense that Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton have developed the last 5 years. And, it is going to be extremely scary to opposing defensive coordinators going forward because you can not scheme against it at all like you could before.

The PHI offense has already been schemed against, the Chiefs solved it pretty well with a cover one man free aggressive style and hit Vick as often as possible. The big problem they had was giving up rushing yards with that style. I think DEN can tweak that up front like they did against OAK and stop a lot of those rushing yards while adjusting the coverages to play the WR's from PHI.

This DEN offense that played last night, that can have route combinations changed once Peyton reads pre-snap and on the fly is going to make play calling and game planning go out the window versus our offense since it can be adapted very quickly based on what limited defensive packages teams choose to try and play this offense.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
stoxman
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Agree. However this empty backfield crap needs to cease immediately. Our whole season could end on one play if 18 gets hurt with no protection back there and a questionable LT.

Otherwise--love what he's doing.
stoxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Have the Jaguars named him their head coach for next year yet?
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

Only 3 games - but hopefully our offense can match the 2007 Patriots. That offense was ridiculously explosive - I remember watching those games and thinking pretty much every play could go for a touchdown with Brady firing bombs deep to Moss or lasers down the seam to Welker.

Right now the Broncos seem more methodical, but just as effective.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I think they have installed a nasty system of formations, matchups, and looks and just simply played the Raiders defense like a piano last night. What is so different about it, than the offense they ran last year is the multiple looks out of multiple personnel packages.

It used to be keep your best 11 on the field versus their 11 and run no huddle to keep them from substituting. They wanted to out execute and wear down other defenses. Now, they kind of keep that concept but sub a lot more and run multiple formations, motions, and personnel to keep the subs from getting comfortable in the defensive play calls and making the Mike have to guess and try to audible to much more limited defensive calls.

This is an evolution of the old INDY offense Moore ran with a much more up to date Matchup beater offense that Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton have developed the last 5 years. And, it is going to be extremely scary to opposing defensive coordinators going forward because you can not scheme against it at all like you could before.

The PHI offense has already been schemed against, the Chiefs solved it pretty well with a cover one man free aggressive style and hit Vick as often as possible. The big problem they had was giving up rushing yards with that style. I think DEN can tweak that up front like they did against OAK and stop a lot of those rushing yards while adjusting the coverages to play the WR's from PHI.

This DEN offense that played last night, that can have route combinations changed once Peyton reads pre-snap and on the fly is going to make play calling and game planning go out the window versus our offense since it can be adapted very quickly based on what limited defensive packages teams choose to try and play this offense.
So, Med, what was Gruden talking about with all that 11, 12 and 13 package stuff he was talking about? I didn't get it.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

That is the personnel packages that a team uses. Running backs in the game is the first number, TE's is the second number. So, the 3 WR 1RB 1TE sets DEN used in the first half is 11 personnel. In the second half they used a lot of 12 (2 TE's) and even 13 (3TE's) personnel packages in very different formations than their normal ace or Trey sets.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Gase and Manning seem to be completely in sync. Almost as if they think alike.
The prep job that they explained last night that goes on before each game is insane. Manning and Gase know exactly what is to come and they prepare every counter to it.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post
Only 3 games - but hopefully our offense can match the 2007 Patriots. That offense was ridiculously explosive - I remember watching those games and thinking pretty much every play could go for a touchdown with Brady firing bombs deep to Moss or lasers down the seam to Welker.

Right now the Broncos seem more methodical, but just as effective.
I don't think we will for the simple fact that we won't run up scores like they did. Those Pats would be up 35+ with 4 minutes to go, and still throw another touchdown.

Fox won't do that.....nor should he.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #21
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

One of the biggest differences I have noticed between this year and last is how decisive Gase is in getting the personel groupings in and plays called. He has the play call in within seconds of the previous play ending if not immediatly when it ends. Last year there seemed to be a lag time of McCoy getting the play in or substitutions in and Manning seemed to be frustrated by it.

Really fun to be a Broncos fan right now. I thought other than the one play where Houston had a great move, Clark played alright.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
That is the personnel packages that a team uses. Running backs in the game is the first number, TE's is the second number. So, the 3 WR 1RB 1TE sets DEN used in the first half is 11 personnel. In the second half they used a lot of 12 (2 TE's) and even 13 (3TE's) personnel packages in very different formations than their normal ace or Trey sets.
Ah, thanks. I hadn't heard that terminology before.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #23
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Gase, JDR, Magazu (OL), Barone (TEs), Undlin (DBs, had to look him up), and pretty much everyone else involved with coaching is just fantastic. We're not perfect in every facet of the game, but we're darn close. Amazing staff Elway and Fox have put together. Amazing how solid we've become from a couple of years ago. So much growth in ability and technique in just about every roster spot. Top to bottom, I think we have the best coaching in the league right now.

And Gase is easily twice the playcaller that McCoy was.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Yeah, I don't miss McCoy at all. If you look at the Chargers, they lost games because of McCoy's predictable playcalling in the second half.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #25
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I agree that Gase has done a marvelous Job, but a lot has to do with Manning being in his second year here and having another whole offseason to tweak the scheme and having 4 legit passing weapons to spread the ball around and a real ground game that can exploit 6 man box with nickel personnel.

Please, Gase deserves a lot of credit, he really does. However, just think how hard it will be to play this offense when they can run a much larger playbook of looks that no one has tape of all the formations, plays, and motions that DEN can utilize? That is a HUGE, Huge advantage for DEN because it is almost impossible to prepare for that kind of offense that is so completely multi-faceted.

What I noticed last night about this new offense is that Peyton made a quick pre-snap look, initiated motion to see the defenses reaction, and then confirmed what he saw. This is much more intricate than before and it really does give them an advantage because their is only so much a defense can check to after this pre-snap assessment. He also changed the pace of the snap counts, the pace of the hurry up, and substituted to get matchups more than ever before.

It is so fun to break down how he does what he does, but scary as hell trying to find a way to slow them down. The only thing that really does now is when they shoot themselves in the foot with penalties and even then, they overcome those with regularity.