The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #376
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,490

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
Your party just doesn't know when it's won. the budget agreed to by the dems is already at the level that Paul Ryan proposed.
I don't have a party.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #377
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,216

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
On what grounds was Bush able to extend TARP funds to GM and Chrysler?

It's called selective enforcement, and, as has been stated many times, it has been around since the founding of the country.

If you don't like it, do something about it. I would suggest starting a letter writing campaign or donating to a grassroots campaign to overhaul the executive branch.

Or you can keep whining about it on a message board.

Its a good question but moot because the majority of Congress was onboard anyway.

The real question is what if Congress disagreed? Would they have had no choice but to fund whatever the President decided? Or does the "Power of the Purse" represent something more than an executive rubber stamp?
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #378
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
The GOP specifically passed legislation to legitimize the delays his highness enacted. He felt it beneath him and ignored it.

In that environment, tell me how its possible for an opposition to negotiate meaningful change.
Shutting down the government does what exactly?? Obamacare goes forward, and all that has been accomplished is the laying off of hundreds of thousands of Fed employees, what's next, default on US debt??

This a crock, and everyone other than the Tea Party and those who are scared of them, knows it.

Kamikaze mission for the GOP.

Last edited by DenverBrit; 10-03-2013 at 12:40 PM..
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #379
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
Its a good question but moot because the majority of Congress was onboard anyway.

The real question is what if Congress disagreed? Would they have had no choice but to fund whatever the President decided? Or does the "Power of the Purse" represent something more than an executive rubber stamp?
I hope you would have this same mentality if the senate said we won't entertain any legislation from the house that doesn't include language that cuts the military budget by 75%.

Hey man, they're just using their constitutionally granted powers.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #380
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,216

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I hope you would have this same mentality if the senate said we won't entertain any legislation from the house that doesn't include language that cuts the military budget by 75%.

Hey man, they're just using their constitutionally granted powers.
That tactic is old hat. As I posted earlier.

http://mobile.usnews.com/opinion/blo...nment-shutdown

What do you want to bet Democrats blamed Reagan for those shutdowns? Why should Obama escape any blame?
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #381
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,216

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Shutting down the government does what exactly?? Obamacare goes forward, and all that has been accomplished is the laying off of hundreds of thousands of Fed employees, what's next, default on US debt??

This a crock, and everyone other than the Tea Party and those who are scared of them, knows it.

Kamikaze mission for the GOP.
May not be the best political move for the GOP. Their best bet is to stand aside and watch Obamacare unfold in all its pungent glory.
http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wo...hem-quite-yet/

That said, its a funny argument to say that your political opponents should act against their stated beliefs because letting your side fundamentally screw the public is better politics.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #382
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
May not be the best political move for the GOP. Their best bet is to stand aside and watch Obamacare unfold in all its pungent glory.
http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wo...hem-quite-yet/

That said, its a funny argument to say that your political opponents should act against their stated beliefs because letting your side fundamentally screw the public is better politics.
They should let it unfold, but I think that's the Tea Party's fear, that it might actually bring positive results. We have no idea if it will work or not.

But Congress shutting down government does not accomplish their goal.....they knew that.
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #383
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,216

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
They should let it unfold, but I think that's the Tea Party's fear, that it might actually bring positive results. We have no idea if it will work or not.

But Congress shutting down government does not accomplish their goal.....they knew that.
Did Democrats get any concessions from Reagan?
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #384
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
Did Democrats get any concessions from Reagan?
Were they fighting about a bill that had passed both houses and upheld by the supreme court and regarded as a POTUS legacy bill?

Or was it policy and/or budgetary issues?
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #385
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Many of them campaigned on shutting down the government. They believe they're just following through on their commitment, which is why they should not and cannot be negotiated with.

After this stunt, Libertarianism risks dying a quick death by casting its lot with the radical Tea Party conservatives, much like the rejection of the Republican Party due to their romance with the religious right.

As I've said before, I would welcome a debate between true libertarian ideals and liberal ideals...the Tea Party and the Republican Party do not provide this, and if the libertarians continue to allow the crazies to lead them around with their balls in a vise, well...they deserve what they get.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #386
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,216

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Were they fighting about a bill that had passed both houses and upheld by the supreme court and regarded as a POTUS legacy bill?

Or was it policy and/or budgetary issues?
The current proposal doesn't defund the "Potus legacy bill"

It delays the individual mandate in line with other delays the administration has already imposed.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #387
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

October 1, 2013
Millions Flee Obamacare
Posted by Andy Borowitz




Quote:
UNITED STATES (The Borowitz Report)—Millions of Tea Party loyalists fled the United States in the early morning hours today, seeking
what one of them called “the American dream of liberty from health care.”

Harland Dorrinson, 47, a tire salesman from Lexington, Kentucky, packed up his family and whatever belongings he could fit into his Chevy Suburban just
hours before the health-insurance exchanges opened, joining the Tea Party’s Freedom Caravan with one goal in mind: escape from Obamacare.

“My father didn’t have health care and neither did my father’s father before him,” he said. “I’ll be damned if I’m going to let my children have it.”

But after driving over ten hours to the Canadian border, Mr. Dorrinson was dismayed to learn that America’s northern neighbor had been
in the iron grip of health care for decades.

“The border guard was so calm when he told me, as if it was the most normal thing in the world,” he said. “It’s like he was brainwashed by health care.”

Turning away from Canada, Mr. Dorrinson joined a procession of Tea Party cars heading south to Mexico, noting,
“They may have drug cartels and narcoterrorism down there, but at least they’ve kept health care out.”

Mr. Dorrinson was halfway to the southern border before he heard through the Tea Party grapevine that Mexico, too, has public health care, as do Great
Britain, Japan, Turkey, Spain, Belgium, New Zealand, Slovenia, and dozens of other countries to which he had considered fleeing.

Undaunted, Mr. Dorrinson said he had begun looking into additional countries, like Chad and North Korea, but he expressed
astonishment at a world seemingly overrun by health care.

“It turns out that the United States is one of the last countries on earth to get it,” he said. “It makes me proud to be an American.”
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #388
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
This is what is largely left out of this whole "conversation" but should be the main thrust of it. I'd have some respect for the GOP if they were pushing for changes to ACA instead of trying to kill it.


The House IS trying to change it, by giving an opt-out, and by eliminating subsidies to Congress staffers. That's a 1st step.

Obama and Reid REFUSE to change any piece of the bill, except what they illegally ignore.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #389
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
The current proposal doesn't defund the "Potus legacy bill"

It delays the individual mandate in line with other delays the administration has already imposed.
The Socialists don't get it. All they do is parrot what they hear from the state-run media. They are utterly brainless.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #390
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
The current proposal doesn't defund the "Potus legacy bill"

It delays the individual mandate in line with other delays the administration has already imposed.
De-funded? Is that what I said?

Quote:
Were they fighting about a bill that had passed both houses and upheld by the supreme court and regarded as a POTUS legacy bill?
Too difficult to answer?
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #391
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The Socialists don't get it. All they do is parrot what they hear from the state-run media. They are utterly brainless.

DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #392
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Do us all a favor and take your extremist Socialist idealogy back to England.


Countries that run single-payer are increasingly moving towards privatization. Get a freaking clue man.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #393
Rigs11
Ring of Famer
 
Rigs11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post


The House IS trying to change it, by giving an opt-out, and by eliminating subsidies to Congress staffers. That's a 1st step.

Obama and Reid REFUSE to change any piece of the bill, except what they illegally ignore.
Boner was working behind the scenes to provide those same subsidies to congress.your party is a a hypocritical circus
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #394
Rigs11
Ring of Famer
 
Rigs11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Do us all a favor and take your extremist Socialist idealogy back to England.


Countries that run single-payer are increasingly moving towards privatization. Get a freaking clue man.
Do us all a favor and stop using the socialistic programs that the US provides you
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #395
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
Do us all a favor and stop using the socialistic programs that the US provides you
The US doesn't provide sheet. As a taxpayer, I provide for you.


We all pay for police, fire dept., etc. with OUR tax dollars. It's not a redistribution of wealth, therefore not Socialistic.

I've been paying into SS, Medicare, and Medicaid all my life. Although it's highly improbable that I will ever get back what I paid in (plus interest). People can do WAY better saving for themselves. Guaranteed health care costs would be far lower.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #396
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Do us all a favor and take your extremist Socialist idealogy back to England.


Countries that run single-payer are increasingly moving towards privatization. Get a freaking clue man.
If 'stupid' were painful, you'd be in an ICU.
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #397
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The US doesn't provide sheet. As a taxpayer, I provide for you.


We all pay for police, fire dept., etc. with OUR tax dollars. It's not a redistribution of wealth, therefore not Socialistic.

I've been paying into SS, Medicare, and Medicaid all my life. Although it's highly improbable that I will ever get back what I paid in (plus interest). People can do WAY better saving for themselves. Guaranteed health care costs would be far lower.
See my post above.
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #398
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,984

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
October 1, 2013
Millions Flee Obamacare
Posted by Andy Borowitz





Almost too true to be funny.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #399
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
If 'stupid' were painful, you'd be in an ICU.
Wow. witty comeback. You don't have anything to say, because Socialism doesn't work. It's been proven through the history of time. Look at Europe now. Even with ZIRP, and printing Euro's as fast as they can, their economy is still stagnant. Unemployment is still sky high.

ALL of the signs of Socialism's failure are there before your face, but you refuse to see them. Like a blind dog, you amble this way and that.

Medicare/Medicaid/Tricare have spiraled healthcare costs out of control. Obamacare only makes it worse.

Last edited by pricejj; 10-03-2013 at 08:32 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #400
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,984

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Wow. witty comeback. You don't have anything to say, because Socialism doesn't work. It's been proven through the history of time. Look at Europe now. Even with ZIRP, and printing Euro's as fast as they can, their economy is still stagnant. Unemployment is still sky high.

ALL of the signs of Socialism's failure are there before your face, but you refuse to see them. Like a blind dog, you amble this way and that.

Medicare/Medicaid/Tricare have spiraled healthcare costs out of control. Obamacare only makes it worse.
Geez, dude. Try to wake up, will you? Out of control capitalism took down America in 2008 and has yet to figure out a way to put it back together. One of the biggest economic failures in modern history. It not only took down the American economy, it took down the world's. At least in many of these socialist countries citizens don't have to worry about banks seizing their homes or health care bills bankrupting them.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Denver Broncos